Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,394 members, 7,904,479 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 02:14 PM

Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? (2233 Views)

7 Tips For Programmers Preparing For Boot Camps Like Andela (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by delomos(m): 7:31pm On Jul 01, 2015
I've been toying around with an idea that I'm curious what the you think -- are there individuals with real interest in bootcamp style code camps?

What this means is that you'd have a few experienced programmers/developers teach core programming skills in less than 1 - 2 weeks.

So after the program you will know enough to work on your own thing, plus you will learn only what you really need to know for real world development rapid-fire.

The language(s) we have in mind are: Javascript, Ruby and PHP, depending on interest -- collectively we have working experience in all.

Thoughts?

P.S. This is me here (just in case someone is wondering), with a few of my projects: https://github.com/thoughtsatire

1 Like

Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by blueyedgeek(m): 7:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
Awesome idea if you ask me. I'll suggest you put this up on a few other places as nairaland's programming section has a low amount of visitors and the people that do come here are already experts (sort off) in their respective fields with a few being extreme newbies. If the code camp will be extremely newbie friendly, affordable and is okay location wise then it would make a lot of sense to start something like this. All in all, good stuff.

P.s: I'm a newbie
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by delomos(m): 8:05pm On Jul 01, 2015
blueyedgeek:
Awesome idea if you ask me. I'll suggest you put this up on a few other places as nairaland's programming section has a low amount of visitors and the people that do come here are already experts (sort off) in their respective fields with a few being extreme newbies. If the code camp will be extremely newbie friendly, affordable and is okay location wise then it would make a lot of sense to start something like this. All in all, good stuff.

P.s: I'm a newbie

Interesting, 3 questions --
1. What other places do you recommend?
2. What will make a program like this useful to you?
3. How much will you be willing to pay (by the way, the developers I'm hoping to work with, included myself have deep international experience)?
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by blueyedgeek(m): 8:42pm On Jul 01, 2015
delomos:

Interesting, 3 questions --
1. What other places do you recommend?
2. What will make a program like this useful to you?
3. How much will you be willing to pay (by the way, the developers I'm hoping to work with, included myself have deep international experience)?
1. It's kinda hard to find people who are actually interested using just nairaland alone. Most people that would be interested would likely start with the programming section so having this here already has that covered. I would have recommended the webmasters section but that section isn't really filled with people you would likely be looking for. Using social networks would be good. I'll also recommend you look into researching existing code camps (yes they do exist. Chub runs one that I'm aware of) and look into how they get interested young people (you could even try partnering with them). Look into schools for people just coming out (ss3 set) that are interested in stuffs like this or would be interested and get them interested enough to commit.

2. Different people would have different reasons. I am very passionate about this stuff and hence any opportunity that presents itself that would enable me become a better developer, I would jump that.

3. Not too much and not too little. I know this answer is kind of vague but I don't really have any specific price off the top of my head. It shouldn't be too high so that anyone with an interest can participate and shouldn't be too low so that you as the organiser doesn't run at a loss. Just find a balance. (and also make it free for a few people who show potential but just don't have the money and also people who answer your questions on nairaland, hehehe)
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 01, 2015
I have worked in an IT institute that provides such services, one of the main problem the institute has is very low turnout of students, you have to literally beg guys to attend, and do some forceful follow up on them before they finally enroll for the lectures, sometimes we offer free classes and you will not believe that people still do not come, after sharing fliers round the whole of Abuja.
So the questions is what are the solutions to this problems?

My observation of students( computer science and computer engineering students) who come to our institute from their Universities and Polytechnics to enroll for internship, is that they know almost nothing about the real world programming they don't even know ordinary HTML, even if you do a survey of the Nairaland programming section, you will mostly see oblivious questions asked by undergraduate computer science and engineering students. What I suggest you do is move this your camps into the Universities and Polytechnics, advertise your services to the computer science, computer engineering and other engineering students, offer a free workshop maybe for one week or some days, do something very realistic in the workshop, something they came see the end product. Create something really cool for the students that makes stuffs easy. Then invite them for the main training.

You can also try Secondary schools, Government and private secondary schools, do a free workshop for them too, teach them how to make games, and immediately after that have the school invite you to their PTA meeting where you can talk to their parents, for their wards to enroll for the lectures. Make sure you tell them of the miserable job market in Nigeria and how this provides security and a lucrative skill to help their ward in the future.

3 Likes

Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by delomos(m): 5:27am On Jul 02, 2015
AkunneObinna:
I have worked in an IT institute that provides such services, one of the main problem the institute has is very low turnout of students, you have to literally beg guys to attend, and do some forceful follow up on them before they finally enroll for the lectures, sometimes we offer free classes and you will not believe that people still do not come, after sharing fliers round the whole of Abuja.
So the questions is what are the solutions to this problems?

My observation of students( computer science and computer engineering students) who come to our institute from their Universities and Polytechnics to enroll for internship, is that they know almost nothing about the real world programming they don't even know ordinary HTML, even if you do a survey of the Nairaland programming section, you will mostly see oblivious questions asked by undergraduate computer science and engineering students. What I suggest you do is move this your camps into the Universities and Polytechnics, advertise your services to the computer science, computer engineering and other engineering students, offer a free workshop maybe for one week or some days, do something very realistic in the workshop, something they came see the end product. Create something really cool for the students that makes stuffs easy. Then invite them for the main training.

You can also try Secondary schools, Government and private secondary schools, do a free workshop for them too, teach them how to make games, and immediately after that have the school invite you to their PTA meeting where you can talk to their parents, for their wards to enroll for the lectures. Make sure you tell them of the miserable job market in Nigeria and how this provides security and a lucrative skill to help their ward in the future.

Very insightful, thanks, lots of actionables.

1 Like

Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 02, 2015
Trollin'

1 Like

Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 03, 2015
I'm in
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by delomos(m): 12:52pm On Jul 03, 2015
Jregz:
I'm in

What do you like about it, and up to how much are you willing to pay for something like this?
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 03, 2015
I can pay 200 naira. . . .a poor programmer's widows-mite!
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 03, 2015
delomos:

What do you like about it, and up to how much are you willing to pay for something like this?

just update us as it's going ...we'd hop in.
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by spoilerx: 9:10am On Jan 27, 2016
freecodecamp had a Lagos meetup few weeks back.
you should check their Facebook page for more information about the next one
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by guru01(m): 5:28pm On Jan 27, 2016
Nice idea,my thought: this only works well in developed countries where technology is better and more affordable.

I will like to attend a meetup to code event in Abuja.
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by payne4real(m): 6:00pm On Jan 27, 2016
I will like to attend the boot camp. Keep me posted
Re: Any Interest In Lagos-based Code Camps? by princedanalyst: 5:46pm On Feb 19, 2016
whatsapp me 08169361485
delomos:
I've been toying around with an idea that I'm curious what the you think -- are there individuals with real interest in bootcamp style code camps?

What this means is that you'd have a few experienced programmers/developers teach core programming skills in less than 1 - 2 weeks.

So after the program you will know enough to work on your own thing, plus you will learn only what you really need to know for real world development rapid-fire.

The language(s) we have in mind are: Javascript, Ruby and PHP, depending on interest -- collectively we have working experience in all.

Thoughts?

P.S. This is me here (just in case someone is wondering), with a few of my projects: https://github.com/thoughtsatire

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl / My Semester GPA Calculator With Javascript / Programming A Converter For *.wma To *.mp3 - By Sbucareer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.