Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,463 members, 7,964,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 11:57 PM

Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws (1038 Views)

Tinubu Not More Than State Level APC Leader, Akeredolu Suggests / Buhari Begs Lawyers To Support Anti-graft War / Why Nigerians Support PMB On Kanu And Dasuki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Jenny1010(f): 8:30pm On Jul 01, 2015
A new opinion poll suggests that 87% of people in Nigeria support the legal ban on same-sex relations.

That number is lower than five years ago, when 96% of Nigerians opposed relationships between same-sex couples.
Gay advocacy campaigners, who commissioned the poll, said this showed attitudes towards gay people were changing, albeit ‘slowly’.

Nigeria is a deeply conservative country and religion plays a major role in society.
The government tightened anti-gay laws last year, banning same-sex marriages, gay groups and shows of same-sex public affection.

Campaigners say the laws are among the most draconian anywhere – and impose a sentence of up to 14 years in prison for same-sex couples.

About 1,000 people across Nigeria took part in the telephone poll which was commissioned by gay advocacy groups, including the Bisi Alimi Foundation. Only about one in six people said they knew
someone who was openly homosexual, reports the BBC’s Will Ross from Nigeria’s main city, Lagos.

However, the number almost doubled for people in their late teens and early twenties. About 30% of respondents said gay, lesbian and bisexual people should have access to public services such as education and healthcare – a curious question, being that all Nigerians,
regardless of their declared or undeclared sexual orientation already have access to.

Gay advocates, including the Bisi Alimi
Foundation, see this as ‘progress’, BBC says. They believe the survey shows that the tide is ‘slowly turning towards acceptance’. Nevertheless, Nigeria remains an unwelcome place for open
homosexuals to come out, BBC adds.

(BBC, DAILY SUN)

www.sunnewsonline.com/new/poll-suggests-87-of-nigerians-support-anti-gay-laws/
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 01, 2015
89 or 96 percent.

We rebuke same sex marriage in our dear country, it's against our culture

2 Likes

Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by rocgirl: 8:32pm On Jul 01, 2015
Pathetic hypocrites!
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Emekamex(m): 8:32pm On Jul 01, 2015
Gays and marriage between them should be banned by any sane nation

1 Like

Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Bibidear(f): 8:37pm On Jul 01, 2015
Dis is rubbish. God forbid
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Jenny1010(f): 8:50pm On Jul 01, 2015
Pretenders! One or two persons that comment above me is a core gay undecided

But It's none of my biz anyway angry
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by viceldo(m): 8:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
never dey shud move to d us nt remain here in naija omo nah 14yrs b dat oooo
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Rilwayne001: 9:06pm On Jul 01, 2015
Lies.

So, gay advocacy campaigners, commissioned the poll, and you expect them to say otherwise?

Pure lie.

Fvck all y'all. angry

2 Likes

Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 01, 2015
I won't be surprised.
Islam has said it all..
The end is HERE
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 01, 2015
Neyoor:

When you say 'culture', what exactly do you mean? Os culture dynamic or static?

You can fight and wail as much as you want. Africans will one day embrace homosexuals. It is only a matter of time.
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 01, 2015
MuhdG:
I won't be surprised.
Islam has said it all..
The end is HERE
Abrahamic religions are not part of African culture.
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 01, 2015
Emekamex:
Gays and marriage between them should be banned by any sane nation
Nigeria is indeed a sane nation

1 Like

Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by help3852: 9:38pm On Jul 01, 2015
In a country where 3some is the order of the day,
What's the difference where 2girls and a boy make love and come out in public to say they hate homosexuals.

Let the truth be told homosexuals in Nigeria are on the rise, with the rich and elites forming cabals.
When the time is right, Nigeria will change their stand.
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 01, 2015
musKeeto:

Abrahamic religions are not part of African culture.
I have no idea what you're talking about
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by jordy101(m): 9:56pm On Jul 01, 2015
sons of Belial on the prowl .why should an issue which Nig. have taken her stand on be systematically brought back. Obama and his allies should bury their heads in shame for being propagandas of evil.
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 01, 2015
MuhdG:

I have no idea what you're talking about
If you did, I'd have been shocked.
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 01, 2015
musKeeto:

If you did, I'd have been shocked.
K
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by linearity: 8:05am On Jul 08, 2015
Neyoor:
89 or 96 percent.

I guess that culture you spoke about advocates fornication, aldutery, witchcraft, & idolatry, if otherwise I suggest you join hands with me is support of a Law banning these acts also and throw whoever caught engaging in them into jail for at least 15years, more so the bible also spoke against these sins and during the Old Testament, anyone caught engaging in them is stoned death.

Let's not be hypocrites, when we quote culture, tradition or the bible as a yard stick in support or condemning a particular law, we should consistent and not be selective.
Re: Poll Suggests 87% Of Nigerians Support Anti-gay Laws by gists: 8:23am On Jul 08, 2015
All I know is that over 90% of Nigerians are either Muslims or Christians. The two groups believes that in the begining God created Adam and Eve. We both believe that this God is ALL POWERFULL (i.e whatever HE does is final and no one can question or reverse HIS decision) and ALL KNOWING (i.e so FULL of wisdom that all KNOWLEGDE emanate from HIM)

SO if this God is most knowledgeable, how come he chose to create Adam and Eve. Why didn't he create ADAM and John; or Adam and Peter; or Eve and Sandra; or Eve and Mary?
He could have chosen to create Adam and Moses after all, he is all powerful and no one can question him. BUT in HIS infinite WISDOM, KNOWLEDGE and POWER, HE chose to create ADAM and EVE.

In fact, virtually all his creations has some form of duality (opposite) - like Night and day; Hot and Cold, The sky Up and oceans Down, Pleasure and pain.

Our knowledge is soooooo intangible compared to His yet we feel we are smart enough and want to correct God.
I am not a fan of Mugabe of Zimbabwe but he gave a food for thought when he was reported to have said "even satan (presumably male) approached Eve"

(1) (Reply)

Germany Partners Nigerian Entrepreneurs To End Power Challenges / Graver Mistakes Buhari Has Made On Boko Haram / I Have Not Made Demands Of Buhari, Tinubu Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.