Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,422 members, 7,881,547 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:26 PM

The Yoruba Flag - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yoruba Flag (13309 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / Most Beautiful Flag In Africa / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yoruba Flag by tpiar: 7:41pm On Dec 25, 2015
amor4ce:
Ogbe Alara is the odu of our (omo oduduwa) nation, and these colours are not its. Perhaps Oyo (Yoruba) whose odu is Okanran meji can adopt it. I am Omo Oduduwa but not Yoruba.

where is Oduduwa from? That's where you should claim.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Flag by tpiar: 7:42pm On Dec 25, 2015
zmijugaloma:

. . . . . . .

nah.

Cowries are no longer a symbol of wealth, that was centuries ago before the introduction of modern currency.

are you advocating a return to those times?
Re: The Yoruba Flag by OPCNAIRALAND: 6:39am On Dec 26, 2015
zmijugaloma:
Hi,

I am an amateur flag enthusiast and I have (re) designed Yoruba flag.

The symbol in the middle is the crown of cowries symbolizing Olokun.

It is made of seven cowries that represent the seven grandsons of Olofin Oduduwa, the ancestors of the Yoruba.

The cowries are gold as the symbol of wealth.

The colours of the tricolor are Pan-African colours: red for the blood of the people, black for the colour of their skin and green for the abundance of wealth.

The order of colours is taken from the current flag I found on the internet.

The redesigned flag is unique, recognizable, simpler, bolder, more powerful and easier to reproduce.

Tell me what do you think about it?

I think its beautiful, couple of items are missing.
First, you are designing a flag for Yoruba, not Africa, therefore dont mention Africa here....
Put Yoruba cultural colors of Red, White and Blue.

Second, cowrie shell is too generic. Use Seven stars arranged in circle.

Third, sit Ori Olokun in the middle of the arranged stars.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Flag by FisifunKododada: 7:29am On Dec 26, 2015
cool OPC well done jare - more grease to your elbow.
Re: The Yoruba Flag by Amujale(m): 8:01am On Mar 05, 2019
Green - White - Green obviously yes.

Although a very good concept, however, one could say its a good futuristic concept, that in my opinion can best be of service to people in a multilateral sense. That is to say lets assume majority of the African nations of today decide to re-construct their region in a territorial manner, then what you share with us today would instantly become a reality.

Going solo is NO.

BI-Lateral is NO.

Multilateral and pertaining to multiple nations, YES.

Yet, it doesn't stop us having a cool flag like that, very good concept.
Re: The Yoruba Flag by Nobody: 3:06am On Apr 02, 2019
zmijugaloma:
Hi,

I am an amateur flag enthusiast and I have (re) designed Yoruba flag.

The symbol in the middle is the crown of cowries symbolizing Olokun.

It is made of seven cowries that represent the seven grandsons of Olofin Oduduwa, the ancestors of the Yoruba.

The cowries are gold as the symbol of wealth.

The colours of the tricolor are Pan-African colours: red for the blood of the people, black for the colour of their skin and green for the abundance of wealth.

The order of colours is taken from the current flag I found on the internet.

The redesigned flag is unique, recognizable, simpler, bolder, more powerful and easier to reproduce.

Tell me what do you think about it?

Great job, I like the idea of substituting the cowries with stars surrounding the Olokun

I found another flag that’s interesting? I’d rather go with the pan African colours tho to stay united with our other African brothers

[img]https://fotw.info/images/n/ng-yorub.gif[/img]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerian Men Sooooo Impossible!? / Yoruba Prince Dayo Weds Cameroonian Beauty, Singer Naomi Achu! / Emir Sanusi Sacks 2 Traditional Rulers In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.