Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,942 members, 7,883,284 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 08:16 AM

Couple Married For 75 Years Dies Hours Apart - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Couple Married For 75 Years Dies Hours Apart (535 Views)

Couple Who Have Been Married For 59 Years Show Off Their Dance Moves / Newly-Wedded Lady Dies Hours After Giving Birth To A Bouncing Baby. Photos / Carpenter Killed By Live High Tension Wire, Wife Dies Hours After (PIC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couple Married For 75 Years Dies Hours Apart by etunoman76(m): 3:05pm On Jul 03, 2015
A poignant photo has emerged which shows an elderly couple who were married for 75 years fulfilling their final wishes to die together.

Jeanette Toczko, 96, and her 95-year-old husband, Alexander Toczko, from San Diego, California, died just hours apart as they held hands in bed.

The pair spent their lives in love after becoming boyfriend and girlfriend when they were only eight years old.

But several weeks ago, Mr Toczko suffered a broken hip in a fall and was left bed-bound. A local hospice delivered a special bed to his home, which staff pushed up next to his beloved wife's bed.

As Mr Toczko's condition quickly declined, Mrs Toczko's own health took a turn for the worse. The couple had always said they wished to die 'in their own bed, holding hands, in each other's arms'.

And in scenes reminiscent of the 2004 film The Notebook, they passed away while clutching hands earlier this month: Mr Toczko on June 17, as he lay beside his wife; and Mrs Toczko, the next day.

The couple's daughter, Aimee Toczko-Cushman, described the moment she told her mother she had lost her husband, who kept a photo of Mrs Toczko at her Holy Communion in his wallet.

'I told my mother he was gone,' she told 10 News. 'She hugged him and she said, "See this is what you wanted. You died in my arms and I love you. I love you, wait for me, I'll be there soon".'

Mrs Toczko-Cushman, and the couple's other children, Donna Tang, Richard Toczko, Lynne Edwards and Andra Toczko, then left the room, to allow their mother to say a private goodbye.

And less than 24 hours later, Mrs Toczko herself passed away.

'Even the hospice nurse said it was the most incredible thing to see the two of them taking those last breaths together,' Ms Toczko-Cushman said of her parents, both born in Stamford, Connecticut.

Mr and Mrs Toczko, who were the children of Polish immigrants, started dating as youngsters, before their innocent relationship flourished into love, marriage and five children of their own.

Following their wedding in 1940, Mr Toczko joined the U.S. Navy as a telegraph operator, according to ABC. He later moved to New York City with his family, where he worked for an advertising firm.

In 1971, the Toczkos moved to San Diego, where Mr Toczko established his own advertising and fashion photography firm, Blue Sky, U-T San Diego reported. Mrs Toczko was his chief stylist.

During their lengthy marriage, the couple also went traveling together, visiting Bermuda. 'Their hearts beat as one from as long as I can remember,' said Mrs Toczko-Cushman.

Before his recent fall, Mr Toczko, a passionate golfer, had been a regular at Balboa Golf Course. The war veteran had a keen interest in drawing, and often sat and sketched at the golf course.

Meanwhile, his wife doted on her 10 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

As the couple neared death, in early June, a confused Mrs Toczko reportedly told her children that the date was June 29 - the day she and Mr Toczko would have celebrated 75 years of marriage.

The couple's children went along with it, telling their mother it was, indeed, the anniversary.

'We said happy anniversary, and my mother was thrilled because it was their anniversary and she knew that he was going and that they had made it to 75 years,' said Mrs Toczko-Cushman.

Mr and Mrs Toczko were buried at Miramar National Cemetery in San Diego on Monday.

For more info and pictures,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3147837/PICTURED-dying-embrace-husband-wife-married-75-years-died-just-hours-apart-held-hands-bed.html

Re: Couple Married For 75 Years Dies Hours Apart by INTROVERT(f): 3:06pm On Jul 03, 2015
cry cry
Re: Couple Married For 75 Years Dies Hours Apart by oppybouy(m): 3:10pm On Jul 03, 2015
Just like Nicholas Sparks wrote about in the Notebook.

Love does exists afteral cry
Re: Couple Married For 75 Years Dies Hours Apart by Precious91(m): 3:12pm On Jul 03, 2015
Eeyah.This is what is called "Love Forever"
Re: Couple Married For 75 Years Dies Hours Apart by akindele91(m): 5:30pm On Jul 03, 2015
Awww so sweet lovely coupleAwww so sweet lovely coupleAwww so sweet lovely couple

(1) (Reply)

Ohio Man Officially Exonerated After Spending 27 Years In Prison For Murder He D / Six Advantages Of Marrying A Man That Can Cook / Parenting 101: Hilarious Parenting Lesson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.