Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,651 members, 7,921,412 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 02:32 AM

My Baking Hobby.. :D - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / My Baking Hobby.. :D (24943 Views)

When She Says Cooking Is Her Hobby / Baking With Local Oven / Photo: Wow! This Is An Amazing Exhibition Of Creativity In Baking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
katori:
You are the magician! I only just want to taste your cakes, they seems to be very delicious!
Thanks so much. smiley
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 9:49pm On Mar 16, 2016
katori:
You are the magician! I only just want to taste your cakes, they seems to be very delicious!
Thank youuuuu. smiley #blushing
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 11:11pm On Mar 18, 2016
@Purplelips You're really talented... a go getter. Keep it up.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 9:10pm On Mar 22, 2016
Enypie:
@Purplelips You're really talented... a go getter. Keep it up.
Thank you very much. smiley
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 8:26am On Apr 13, 2016
Hi Purplelips,

Nice cakes you've got there. Is it possible to interview you on your caking journey? Tried PMing you some days ago but not got a response yet.

Kindly respond to this and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 9:52pm On Apr 16, 2016
mooretes:
Hi Purplelips,

Nice cakes you've got there. Is it possible to interview you on your caking journey? Tried PMing you some days ago but not got a response yet.

Kindly respond to this and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks
Wow! Seriously?! Sounds nice...lol Wondering what kind of interview that would be though. Btw, I did reply your PM. Very sure I did. smiley
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 9:54pm On Apr 16, 2016
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by mooretes: 10:43pm On Apr 16, 2016
purplelips:
Wow! Seriously?! Sounds nice...lol Wondering what kind of interview that would be though. Btw, I did reply your PM. Very sure I did. smiley
Thanks for getting back to me. Apologies if I didn't see your message. The interview is to know more about you and how you got into cakes. Do you mind letting me know how best to contact you? You can reach me by email at baked1808@gmail.com.
Thanks
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by gechyy2(f): 12:43pm On Apr 25, 2016
Nice work your doing.. Love it..
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by immv(f): 3:48pm On Apr 27, 2016
woow.....I love cakes....this cake is so fine...@purplelips though I can bake very well but cnt decorate...I will need ur help on the decoration aspect pls reply me...Thanks
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 8:59am On Apr 28, 2016
immv:
woow.....I love cakes....this cake is so fine...@purplelips though I can bake very well but cnt decorate...I will need ur help on the decoration aspect pls reply me...Thanks
Thank you. I'll be glad to help. smiley
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by PricelexxZiny(f): 12:03pm On May 03, 2016
Purplelips, l've been quietly following this thread and l like it alot. Thanks for sharing your designs with us...I'm also into cake making (though I've mastered the baking processes thoroughly, I'm still struggling with my designs), that is why I so much appreciate this thread of yours. Because it gives alot of encouragement. Please I'll be needing your assistance, in other to improve in my decorations. l sent you a PM, I'll be waiting for your reply.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 6:01pm On May 03, 2016
PricelexxZiny:
Purplelips, l've been quietly following this thread and l like it alot. Thanks for sharing your designs with us...I'm also into cake making (though I've mastered the baking processes thoroughly, I'm still struggling with my designs), that is why I so much appreciate this thread of yours. Because it gives alot of encouragement. Please I'll be needing your assistance, in other to improve in my decorations. l sent you a PM, I'll be waiting for your reply.
Thanks so much. smiley I'll reply now.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Damicares(f): 6:59pm On May 03, 2016
purplelips:
Looking forward to working with fondant. I still don't have the balls to try it sad
same here, just butter icing. Nice one though.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Damicares(f): 7:01pm On May 03, 2016
purplelips:
Looking forward to working with fondant. I still don't have the balls to try it sad
same here. Just butter icing. Nice one dear.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by PricelexxZiny(f): 11:08am On May 05, 2016
purplelips:
Thanks so much. smiley I'll reply now.
Thanks for replying. Can you please share some of the buttercream processes with us, and the equipments needed for it. It will really help..... Thanks once again.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by queenDD(f): 9:35pm On Jun 02, 2016
Purplelips, you motivate me. I know how to bake and I've been trying to learn how to decorate. Your decorations are lovely and to think you didn't go to a catering school, wow! I would really appreciate if you do share your buttercream and royal icing recipe here for interested persons.
Much love.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 9:04pm On Jun 03, 2016
queenDD:
Purplelips, you motivate me. I know how to bake and I've been trying to learn how to decorate. Your decorations are lovely and to think you didn't go to a catering school, wow! I would really appreciate if you do share your buttercream and royal icing recipe here for interested persons.
Much love.
Awww. smiley Thank you. Alright, I'll do that.

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by PricelexxZiny(f): 11:25pm On Jun 13, 2016
My birthday will be coming up soon and l want to bake my cake myself, the baking is not the problem, but the butter cream icing....Please l need you to help me out with some directions on how to go about with the whole butter cream stuff. I'll pm you, thanks.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 3:05pm On Aug 02, 2016
Hi Guys, so sorry I've been off. Final year in school hasn't been at all easy. From one posting to another, project, care study and exams. Thank God it's almost over...less than 4 months to go cheesy

Now that I'm less busy, I've decided to grant to request of those who want to learn cake decorating. I'm still a learner too but I'd love to share a few things I've learnt. Here are pictures of some of the few equipment I've gathered...still got a lot more to purchase..

1) Gel colours
2) Flavorings (artificial)
3) Cake combs (metal ones) & Plastic scraper

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 3:18pm On Aug 02, 2016
1) Rolling pins, fondant flower set.
2) Star and Heart shaped cutters
3 & 4) Pizza cutter (to cut fondant)

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 3:22pm On Aug 02, 2016
1) Piping bag
2) Couplers (the white ones) and nozzles (metal ones)
3) Flower nail (I use it for making the buttercream roses)

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 3:50pm On Aug 02, 2016
Buttercream/Butter Icing Recipe

Ingredients:
500g of confectioners/icing sugar
125g of butter/margarine
2 tablespoons of milk or water
1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring (or any flavouring of choice)

Direction:
1) Cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract.
2) Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add food coloring, if using, and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached.

**Personally, I juts add everything together and mix till I get the consistency I want. You can use an electric mixer if you have one. But I prefer using my hands. cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 4:12pm On Aug 02, 2016
I've only had time to make these 3 babies since I last posted.

1 Like

Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 04, 2016
I love your cakes.....I love baking too,I was thinking of baking to get little money when I enter school,you just encouraged me now

I love your cakes...gimme some! Gimme some! cheesy
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by graciousme(f): 9:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
Hello food lovers,

My name is Kemi Oladipo. I recently completed a course on 'Biosafety of plant Biotechnology' at Marche Polytechnic University,Ancona,Italy.

I am currently conducting a survey on the 'Readiness of Nigerians for the commercialization of genetically modified crops in Nigeria'. I am using the social media and other associated entities to share the survey.
I will your support and provide you a medium to express your opinion about genetically modified foods in Nigeria. Please find the link to the survey below.

Available to answer any question. Kind regards,

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLvbgIbUnannWQCz01AW8FIVT1aq4JCba1ki6lQV84QAcKBQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

Kemi
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Iamanonymouss: 6:29pm On Aug 05, 2016
hey....pls I would really love to know how you made those buttercream flowers. thanks.
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by queenDD(f): 4:15am On Aug 10, 2016
Beautiful cake decoration
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by hotmomma(f): 11:32am On Aug 13, 2016
Purplelips, reading back, all i can say is youre amazing, not attending any baking school n ure this good, please i want to try to achieve this. Wanna learn to bake for just home purposes first, please, what equipment do i need for now to buy? First cake recipe i should try out too. Also mixers would be important to me cos i don't like manually mixing butter n sugar, lazy me. Please mentor me on this
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 13, 2016
wow.... I've seen my second o... I'm just like you... got all my training online....from baking to decorating lol.... please i need you to help me or any expert here.... how do i get that light yellow colour cake....my cakes are always too deep in colour.. thanks in advance
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by purplelips(f): 9:48am On Aug 15, 2016
hotmomma:
Purplelips, reading back, all i can say is youre amazing, not attending any baking school n ure this good, please i want to try to achieve this. Wanna learn to bake for just home purposes first, please, what equipment do i need for now to buy? First cake recipe i should try out too. Also mixers would be important to me cos i don't like manually mixing butter n sugar, lazy me. Please mentor me on this
Thank you. smiley
Since it's just for baking, not much equipments are needed. You'll need:
i) Electric mixer
ii) Baking pans
iii) Oven
iv) Mixing bowls
v) Measuring scale or cups

You can try this Vanilla Cake recipe:

Ingredients
500g butter/margarine
400g or 2 cups of sugar
10 large eggs
500g or 4 cups of flour (sifted)
1tablespoon baking powder
1tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup of milk

Procedure
(1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(2) Grease the sides of the baking pan with butter and then dust with flour. This prevents the cake from sticking to the pan.
(3) In a large bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together.
(4) In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and continue mixing at medium speed until light and fluffy.
(5) Scrape sides of bowl with a spatula and add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
(6) Next, add vanilla extract and mix until combined.
(7) Finally add flour mixture and milk to batter in 5 additions (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour) mixing after each addition. Do not over mix batter.
(cool Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
(9) Allow cakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes before unmolding (removing from the pan).
Re: My Baking Hobby.. :D by hotmomma(f): 10:22am On Aug 15, 2016
Thanks purplelips, hope my questions won't be too much of a bother, do u recommend any good n affordable mixer? Also, can pot and stove/gas be used to bake temporally till I get a oven considering present financial situation. Thanks dear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Homemade Jollof Rice / How To Make KFC Crispy Chicken For Your Enjoyment This Holiday (Photos, Video) / Refilling Of Water Dispenser Is Now N700,how Much Is It In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.