Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,302 members, 7,974,340 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 09:08 PM

How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? (1109 Views)

The Clock Ticks, VP Osinbajo & And Tinubu May Be Arrested..... / Buhari: FG Working Round The Clock To Revive Economy / Buhari, The Clock Is Ticking - PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 07, 2015
This question goes to all the scientist out there!

Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Cutehector(m): 6:55am On Jul 07, 2015
He consulted ifa...

1 Like

Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Ojeremi(m): 6:55am On Jul 07, 2015
R
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 6:56am On Jul 07, 2015
Lol....

Basic geography....the reference place for GWM is the equator.

Once the sun is at the zenith, we call that noon. So he kept slowing down the hands until the next noon on the clock coincided with the next zenith of the sun. And the.

Every other country adapts to that reference based on longitudinal and latitudinal juxtapositions

Abeg na idea I dey yes o....bt I hope it makes sense...but simple google it for crying out loud...,these things are not rocket science. Africans love dancing around puzzling questions rather than curiously finding answers

1 Like

Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Jetjacky(m): 6:57am On Jul 07, 2015
Its through the sand glass.

Freemanan lol saw your comments, but Na today sure pass: my network has been hell

Come drop an iota of your intelligence here

Beke! grin
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by INTROVERT(f): 6:57am On Jul 07, 2015
Sun dial
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by shamsuRana(m): 6:58am On Jul 07, 2015
Question is supposed to be: how was time ascertained before the clock invention?
From this, an answer to this thread will emanate

2 Likes

Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Jetjacky(m): 7:01am On Jul 07, 2015
But anyhow way em take drop manage like that la. Na your answer sure pass wink
shamsuRana:
Question is supposed to be: how was time ascertained before the clock invention?
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by ggrin(f): 7:02am On Jul 07, 2015
if u ask me? Na who I go ask

Wetin kill mama ijebu?undecided
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by KELVINXY: 7:02am On Jul 07, 2015
I guess it was set Astrologically.

but NASA is in better position to answer this.

ps:by the way who told you its a one man effort?
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 07, 2015
We've come a long way

Still on bed

*snoring*
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Jetjacky(m): 7:03am On Jul 07, 2015
Dear, which one is that? I look like a lost puppy *grinning* grin grin
INTROVERT:
Sun dial
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:05am On Jul 07, 2015
Jetjacky:
Its through the sand glass.

Freemanan lol saw your comments, but Na today sure pass: my network has been hell

Come drop an iota of your intelligence here

Beke! grin
Aii chief

1 Like

Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:09am On Jul 07, 2015
We were given this as an assignment back in my 200level and my answer still remains...

They put 12 crowing cockrills on the center stone at Stonehenge on summer solcest. The averaged crow rate was diveded by twelve then multiplied by the prime meridian factor..then allowing for the curveature of the world. Then waited until everybody had started work that day the put the time back an hour. Simple!

1 Like

Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Jetjacky(m): 7:13am On Jul 07, 2015
Boss this Na from lay man view??
Freemanan:
We were given this as an assignment back in my 200level and my answer still remains...

They put 12 crowing cockrills on the center stone at Stonehenge on summer solcest. The averaged crow rate was diveded by twelve then multiplied by the prime meridian factor..then allowing for the curveature of the world. Then waited until everybody had started work that day the put the time back an hour. Simple!
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 07, 2015
shamsuRana:
Thanks bro, modified.
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by phransix147(m): 7:14am On Jul 07, 2015
Sun dial... U no dey watch GUS?
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 07, 2015
Jetjacky:
Boss this Na from lay man view??
LOL
It's philosophical...
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:17am On Jul 07, 2015
I think they measure the time by dusk and dawn. After that pahar system would be evolved. And after that sun clock would be invented.

Cc walkopet
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 07, 2015
INTROVERT:
Sun dial
Freemanan:
Are u guyz robots, must u be found on every thread on NL,....lol, u no dey tire, abeg which network una 2 dey use na?
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 07, 2015
phransix147:
Sun dial... U no dey watch GUS?
Not really bro, NEPA won't let me,...lol.
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 07, 2015
Walkopet:
Are u guyz robots, must u be found on every thread on NL,....lol, u no dey tire, abeg which network una 2 dey use na?
Starcomm and Multilinks wink
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:24am On Jul 07, 2015
Freemanan:

Starcomm and Multilinks wink
Hahaha, lol, well, i think d topic should be on FP, so we can see more answers.

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by Nobody: 7:24am On Jul 07, 2015
Walkopet:
Hahaha, lol, well, i think d topic should be on FP, so we can see more answers.

Cc: lalasticlala
It should...
It's an intellectual property...

1 Like

Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by phransix147(m): 7:25am On Jul 07, 2015
Walkopet:
Not really bro, NEPA won't let me,...lol.

Ehya! Try dey on gen na?
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by OohLalah(f): 7:26am On Jul 07, 2015
Walkopet:
This question goes to all the scientist out there!

Sun and shadows.
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by RapAcme(m): 8:09am On Jul 07, 2015
ggrin:
if u ask me? Na who I go ask

Wetin kill mama ijebu?undecided
wow......where av u been na?
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by ggrin(f): 10:00am On Jul 07, 2015
RapAcme:
wow......where av u been na?
romance section
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by paulemi(m): 10:47am On Jul 07, 2015
Before the invention of the time clock, more civilised races used the hour glass (also called sand glass).

In Africa, many of the people could tell what time of the day it was using their shadows. I learnt that from my granny, and also learnt how to do it. Its kinda based on the lenght and direction of one's shadow and knowing where the sun rises and where it sets.
Re: How Was Time Ascertained Before The Clock Invention? by RapAcme(m): 2:52pm On Jul 07, 2015
ggrin:
romance section
jmmm nd u just forgot me just like that hmmm

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Candidates To Write Nigeria Navy Exams Asked To Sit On The Floor / State Of Residence And State Of Origin, Which Do You Think Is The Best? / DSS Withdraws From Dasuki’s House… South Africa Returns Seized Cash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.