Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,627 members, 7,918,031 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:47 PM

Common Misconceptions About Snakes And Facts - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Common Misconceptions About Snakes And Facts (1745 Views)

Snakes Killed By My Dad And I (Black Spitting Cobra & Ball Python) / 7 Reasons We Should Stop Killing Snakes / Little Children Pose With Dead Snakes During Christmas In Edo. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Misconceptions About Snakes And Facts by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 07, 2015
First of all, I will proudly say i once lived in the jungle where we kill snakes like mosquitoes. In fact allowing a snake go alive is like losing a UEFA Champions League final to me. Killing snakes at a point in my life became a hobby that i get infuriated seeing anyone allow snakes go because of fear! It was like an abomination to me. The fear of snake i believe must have been caused by these misconceptions about snakes which i'm going to highlight soon.
This topic was inspired by this thread Green Snake Chases New Magistrate Out Of Court Chamber In Lagos and other snake related thread that has made Front Page.

1. Snakes Are Poisonous
No, there are no poisonous snakes, only venomous ones. Poison is ingested, venom is injected. Not all snakes are venomous either!

2. Snakes Are Slimey And Cold
In fact, their scales are usually incredibly smooth, dry, and tough. Snakes are reptiles, not amphibians or worms!
The body temperature of snakes is dependent on it's environment. Meaning a snake can either be warm or cold depending on it's current environment

3. Snakes Don’t Have Bones Or Bodies. It’s Just A Tail And A Head
I’ve heard this a few times. Snakes are vertebrates, and they have a skeletal system that, while fairly simple, allows them to move like a snake(How else dem wan move? you might ask grin ) and supports their internal organs. They have bodies too - not just really long tails. Their tail begins just below their cloaca.

4. All Snakes Lay Eggs
Many snakes are viviparous, including boas and rattlesnakes. This means they actually give birth to live young ones.

5. Snakes Can Sting You With Their Tail
Several specie of snakes contribute to the stinging tail myth. The rattlesnakes can have noisy, fearsome rattles on the ends of their tails but they cannot attack you with them. It is simply a warning and threatening device. Snakes an only bite you with their mouths.
Another type of snake known as the copperhead uses the tip of it's tail as bait to catch is prey making it's prey (e.g toads) believe it's a worm.
You must have heard the adage which says "Get hold of the head of a snake, the other part is a mere rope".

6. Baby Venomous Snakes Are More Dangerous Than Adults
Studies have shown that an adult snake are capable of delivering a much larger venom dose than a smaller snake.
Yet venom studies in older adults demonstrate that the activity level of some venom enzymes tends to increase with the size and age of the snake.

7. Snakes Chase People
This myth is completely untrue or should i say a half-truth exacerbated by frightened folk who had the misfortune of startling a sleeping or otherwise unaware snake while out for a walk. Typically, when someone happens upon a snake in the wild, both the person and the snake are caught off-guard, so both slip into a state of panic at the same time. Fearing the snake to be life-threatening, this person might experience weak knees and a faster pulse. Often the quickest escape route is instantly chosen.
Like the frightened person, the snake also has a sudden and powerful drive to flee, and it picks the quickest escape route. Sometimes that avenue of escape is the same for both the human and the reptile. Each zigs or zags in unison, which gives the illusion that the snake slithers or darts in pursuit of the person.
If a snake moves rapidly towards your direction, it's either you are standing by it's exit way or place of hideout they wish to reach.
– and not because they want to attack you. Often, snakes will slither over shoes and feet without even noticing the person there – if you stand still, you simply become part of the landscape. Having said that, there are a few aggressive species which may attack if provoked but this is an extremely rare occurrence.

PS: While killing snakes stay away from hiding/enclosed places as well as exit routes.

References:
sssnakesss.tumblr.com/post/12798549189/common-misconceptions-about-snakes
http://www.reptileexpert.co.uk/what-to-do-snake-attacks-you.html

1 Like

Re: Common Misconceptions About Snakes And Facts by fratermathy(m): 8:48am On Jul 14, 2015
Educative!
I've learnt alot!
Cc
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Re: Common Misconceptions About Snakes And Facts by Godskidmidas(m): 9:16am On Jul 14, 2015
Insightful and educative. That doesn't mean I won't kill a snake if I see one.I hate those creatures

The poster below me has more to say
Re: Common Misconceptions About Snakes And Facts by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 14, 2015
Reading this thread alone about snake is scaring me.

My fear for snakes remains intact.

Meanwhile, poster above me, got a head like that of a snake.

The poster below me, is a snake.
Re: Common Misconceptions About Snakes And Facts by timilinda(f): 10:30am On Jul 14, 2015
Very, very educative! I never knew about point 4. WOW! I liked the way u put ur point 7, twz quite funny. Truthful tho, cos I know no animal is dangerous. An animal only attacks when its hungry and wants to eat, or when it feels threatened. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Marijuana; My First Time Experience / How Does One Escape Poverty? / Hilarious! You No Fit Vex Like This Person. (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.