Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,830 members, 7,872,790 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:07 PM

Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? (5278 Views)

70% Of Failed Marriages In Nigeria Come From Girls That Bleach - Philanthropist / Badagry Records 30,000 Failed Marriages In 9 Months / Crazy Things Women Do To Save Their Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by vivaciousvivi(f): 7:46pm On Jul 10, 2015
By the Author:
Late in 2014 when my friend, Zachary, invited me to his wedding taking place in The Berkshires this September, I was less concerned about having to travel all the way from Abuja to Massachusetts. Zachary is gay. "What if lightning comes and strikes the building?" I asked. He replied that there had so far been under 100, 000 gay marriages in the U.S. -- and no bolts. "Of course, my partner and I could be the last straw," he added.

That exchange may have been facetious, but many Nigerians are genuinely terrified of gay marriage. And they are distraught over the U.S. Supreme Court's recent decision to legalize gay marriage in America.

They express sadness and pity for what is supposedly God's Own Country. They predict America's inevitable decline. But the emotion most potent in their words is fear. The kind you might expect from news of an impending tsunami. Many Nigerians appear terrified that, having finally won the victory on home soil, America will now set its sights on imposing similar legislature in countries like Nigeria. "We must resist this wave," I have heard people say.

Rumors of America's plan of action have already started making the rounds. Over the past few days, a number of articles in local newspapers have revealed what some Nigerians believe to be the secret agenda behind President Obama's invitation to Nigeria's new president, Muhammadu Buhari. Allegedly, the meeting, scheduled to take place in the White House on July 20, is aimed at persuading President Buhari to repeal Nigeria's infamous Same Sex Prohibition Law signed by the previous Goodluck Jonathan administration. "Beware of Obama's Invitation," read a headline in one of Nigeria's dailies.

A June 2015 survey conducted by Nigeria's NOI Polls (which works in collaboration with Gallup) shows that 90% of Nigerians believe their country would be a better place without homosexuals. In addition, 81% do not agree that gay people should have the same rights as other Nigerians. Only 30% of Nigerians were shown to believe that gay people deserved equal access to public services such as healthcare, housing and education.

Despite these hair-raising data, I would be surprised if the anti-gay bill were the only reason why President Obama has extended this warm invitation to Nigeria's president, what with issues like Boko Haram currently siphoning global attention. But if indeed he has the welfare of gay Nigerians in mind, President Obama must proceed with caution.

Careful conduct

At the October 2011 Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Perth, Australia, British Prime Minister David Cameron told African leaders that if they resisted homosexuality in their countries, they risked losing aid money from the United Kingdom. Those words registered quite highly on the scale of African indignation. From Ghana to Zimbabwe to Uganda, commentators, columnists and government officials encouraged Cameron to zoom off to hell with his aid.
Who is Muhammadu Buhari?

Nigeria, the giant of Africa, went beyond mere sound and fury. Within weeks, the country's Senate swept aside other pressing national concerns and called for a 14-year prison sentence for anyone convicted of homosexuality -- an issue that had previously not featured on the national agenda. In December 2013, then president Jonathan signed the anti-gay bill, which illegalized public displays of affection between gay couples, and banned organizations that promote gay rights. NOI Polls showed that 92% of Nigerians were at the time in favor of the new law.

Cameron's bid to advance gay rights clearly backfired. And not just because homophobic sentiments are especially intense in Africa, where same-sex relationships are illegal in the vast majority of the countries on the continent. The Prime Minister's controlling and imperialistic choice of words inspired the need to reassure any doubters of their countries' absolute autonomy from Britain. Choosing the exact opposite of what pressured views stipulate is sometimes a way to re-establish your freedom to conduct your own affairs.

If the topic of gay rights arises in his conversation with President Buhari, President Obama must remember that he is the helmsman of America, not of Nigeria. He must realize that "We must not allow these 'white people' tell us what to do" is increasingly becoming a valid reason for Africans to ignore both unconstructive and beneficial counsel on various issues.

The legalization of gay marriage in America has led Nigerians to build up a fresh readiness to resist anything homosexual. The anti-gay swords have been unsheathed. How carefully President Obama and other activists in America conduct themselves when advocating on behalf of the gay people in countries like Nigeria will go a long way in either ameliorating or worsening the welfare of those they seek to help.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.[i][/i]
by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani, Special to CNN
Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/06/opinions/nigeria-america-gay-marriage/index.html?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion&iref=obnetwork

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by ibrams(m): 7:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by NeduLuiZ(m): 7:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
I hate them gays angry
Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Atlantian: 7:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
cos Nigerians are religious bigots. Imagine a country where everyone claims to be angel of religions being very corrupt ceasepool. I guess we chose what we hate irrespective of the moral highground. I do not hate gays.

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by cococandy(f): 7:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
The writer is on point.

The more you try to impose or force an action on someone, the harder they will resist.
That Mr Cameron tried to threaten his way into it shows he lacks tact.

With majority opinion, the minority should know better than to come head on with their opposition.
Conflict resolution 101.

You win people one step at a time until the minority is a small majority.
then go head on with the opposition and hope to succeed.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 10, 2015
The fear is largely unfounded. President Buhari cannot unilaterally "repeal" the same-sex marriage prohibition law.
Only the NASS has such authority, and the Federal courts have the power to declare parts, or the entire law null and void.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by peteregwu(m): 8:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
I don't hate guys, I hate their evil act. So also God does not hate them, it is that evil of homosexuality and lesbianism that God hates. But buhari should pls not fall for the antics of that demonic man called Obama.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
"What if lightning comes and strikes the building?" I asked. He replied that there had so far been under 100, 000 gay marriages in the U.S. -- and no bolts. "Of course, my partner and I could be the last straw," he added.
Top kek. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by yorubadelta(f): 9:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
Oh pls, ain't nobody 'terrified' of the repulsive lifestyle of homosexuals. It's a disgusting and unnatural act no matter how much grammar you blow to justify it.

Who died and gave western countries the right to bully African nations into accepting their revolting ideals?

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by spinna: 10:38pm On Jul 10, 2015
Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by krystal101(f): 6:10am On Jul 11, 2015
Even animals with lower brain don't do same sex. But the higher ones...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
peteregwu:
I don't hate guys, I hate their evil act. So also God does not hate them, it is that evil of homosexuality and lesbianism that God hates. But buhari should pls not fall for the antics of that demonic man called Obama.

On point.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by zeb04(f): 7:05pm On Aug 13, 2015
I don't have an issue with the gay people.

it is the role of the government to protect her own citizens either gay or no gay.

the fact that the government is choosing to protect some group of people over others is the problem with these messed up society.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 5:53am On Aug 14, 2015
I pity women more sha... cos they just don't know what they're getting into.

More and more gay men in Nigeria are marrying women and keeping their boyfriend on the side. I watched the marriage of a Celebrity who I know is gay, saw the woman smiling and all...and I couldn't help but feel pity for her. Oh well.

...apparently i might fall under the same pressure to get married in Nigeria when the age comes...hopefully I won't still be here by then. If so, I'd rather stay unmarried.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 14, 2015
I think gay people have the right to be equally miserable as straight married couples. Besides what two men or females do in their bedroom ain't my business. Corruption is my business

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 8:44am On Aug 14, 2015
pcguru1:
I think gay people have the right to be equally miserable as straight married couples. Besides what two men or females do in their bedroom ain't my business. Corruption is my business

kiss kiss kiss kiss

grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 14, 2015
They can only try. But they can never achieve the feat of legalising that demonic stuff in our land.

Bloody Antelopes.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 14, 2015
Frankly speaking, i think we should leave these gays alone and face some pressing issues facing this country. I believe in human right, i believe in freewill. Whatever one does with his or her life is solely their business as long as nobody is hurt. If they wanna marry a goat, a cat or even mosquito. Why not let them go ahead? Democracy recognizes the opinion of the majority doesn't mean that the minority views should be discarded totally especially when it comes to issues pertaining to sexuality. Is like forcing a heterosexual guy to be a gay which is emotionally traumatic. For those claiming that gayism is a western culture, i think you should have a rethink cause gayism has been around even before the beginning of the world.

Mind you, am not a gay. Just someone who believes in human right.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by dinachi(m): 10:22am On Aug 14, 2015
Why are Americans and the west terrified of anti homosexual stance in Nigeria?

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by TV01(m): 11:07pm On Aug 14, 2015
HenryDion:
Frankly speaking, i think we should leave these gays alone and face some pressing issues facing this country. I believe in human right, i believe in freewill. Whatever one does with his or her life is solely their business as long as nobody is hurt. If they wanna marry a goat, a cat or even mosquito. Why not let them go ahead? Democracy recognizes the opinion of the majority doesn't mean that the minority views should be discarded totally especially when it comes to issues pertaining to sexuality. Is like forcing a heterosexual guy to be a gay which is emotionally traumatic. For those claiming that gayism is a western culture, i think you should have a rethink cause gayism has been around even before the beginning of the world.

Mind you, am not a gay. Just someone who believes in human right.
I find this post such an unthinking, ill-considered piece of cobblers, I'm almost speechless

Even if gays should simply be "left alone", does that mean that marriage is now what anyone determines it to be? Do you understand what marriage is, what it does, or why it came to be?

No one hinders your relationship with goat, cat or mosquito, but why must you insist, or what gives you the right, to deem it marriage? And what does sexuality have to do with marriage? why are you conflating the two?

You believe in human rights"? Therefore, anyone has the right to term any relationship marriage? A really lazy and muddled piece - presumably predicated on a desire to sound trendy and progressive. Total fail.

Can the slopey fore-heads who liked his post please out themselves

TV

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 6:13am On Aug 15, 2015
TV01:

I find this post such an unthinking, ill-considered piece of cobblers, I'm almost speechless

Even if gays should simply be "left alone", does that mean that marriage is now what anyone determines it to be? Do you understand what marriage is, what it does, or why it came to be?

No one hinders your relationship with goat, cat or mosquito, but why must you insist, or what gives you the right, to deem it marriage? And what does sexuality have to do with marriage? why are you conflating the two?

You believe in human rights"? Therefore, anyone has the right to term any relationship marriage? A really lazy and muddled piece - presumably predicated on a desire to sound trendy and progressive. Total fail.

Can the slopey fore-heads who liked his post please out themselves

TV

If you are trying to lay your views, do that without throwing the perception of others in the dustbin as if you are the "all knowing". That's one of the problem facing this god damn country.. If the so called gays needs a life time commitment in marriage, why stop them? Is it your life? There are gays out there who doesn't even dream of making a life time commitment to a fellow gay because of reason best known to them. What am trying to say is, they should be left alone to do whatever they wanna do as long as nobody is hurt. Is that hard for you to assimilate? It aches my heart when i see the so called graduates partaking in jungle justice especially when gays are caught in the act, it shows how lame they really are and am sure you are one of them. Why would you drag 2wo grown up dudes out unclad because you caught them in gay act? Will same sex marriage stop you from getting married? Will it stop you from getting a job?

The only reason why we Nigerians opt into marriage is just to get children, grand children and great, great grand children. Marriage is more than that. Marriage is spending your life with that special person you love so much. That person that makes your world complete.

I would love it if you highlight the reasons why same sex marriage should be frowned upon here in Nigeria.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by dinachi(m): 8:32am On Aug 15, 2015
HenryDion:

If you are trying to lay your views, do that without throwing the perception of others in the dustbin as if you are the "all knowing". That's one of the problem facing this god damn country.. If the so called gays needs a life time commitment in marriage, why stop them? Is it your life? There are gays out there who doesn't even dream of making a life time commitment to a fellow gay because of reason best known to them. What am trying to say is, they should be left alone to do whatever they wanna do as long as nobody is hurt. Is that hard for you to assimilate? It aches my heart when i see the so called graduates partaking in jungle justice especially when gays are caught in the act, it shows how lame they really are and am sure you are one of them.
You are a homosexual hiding behind live and let live! How does a woman getting married to a dog affect you? Does it affect your job? Does it affect your marriage? Reprobated retards!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 15, 2015
dinachi:

You are a homosexual hiding behind live and let live! How does a woman getting married to a dog affect you? Does it affect your job? Does it affect your marriage? Reprobated retards!

grin grin

Funny how y'all always look out for gay threads on NL and then accuse people of being gay whenever they have different views from you grin. Meanwhile, so what if he's gay? grin

Loving this. Kontinu grin

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 10:02am On Aug 15, 2015
dinachi:

You are mentally derange. (sorry to say that) So anyone in favour of gays is now a gay? In fact, You need brain implant. If i confess that am gay in this thread, will it stop me from being a student or a NL user I have nothing to lose, but i can't confess something am not

Am not gay. I don't have problems with gays. Let go of our fore father mentality and do something meaningful with your life. Stop being a gay hunter.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 15, 2015
dinachi:

"ad hominem" - Afftecting nigerians , I rather not spend my time hating gay people, I'd rather focus on those who deserve my hate. After all it would be hypocritical of me to say I hate gay people when I have a friend I met online who's source code i use everyday and he's gay, gay people are human beings, if you have a problem with gay people, maybe you should be finding a solution for your problem as they seem to living fine.

Also your Ad Hominem stance is weird, how did you convince Henry is gay just because of his position ? that's a weird train of thought ?

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by dinachi(m): 10:10am On Aug 15, 2015
HenryDion:

lame mentality. So anyone in favour of gays is now a gay? You need brain implant. If i confessed am gay in this thread. Will it stop me from being a student? I have nothing to lose, but i can't confess something am not

Am not gay. I don't have problems with gays. Let go of our fore father mentality and do something meaningful with your life. Stop being a gay hunter.
Since you are proud of them, may your father and mother, brothers and sisters become homosexuals! May all your kids and wife become homosexuals.
If you cant say amen to this prayer, then you are not being sincere with yourself.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 15, 2015
dinachi:

Since you are proud of them, may your father and mother, brothers and sisters become homosexuals! May all your kids and wife become homosexuals.
If you cant say amen to this prayer, then you are not being sincere with yourself.

Whatever their sexual orientation are. All am gonna do is stand by them and support them. Am not worthy to pray for someone to be straight or gay. Is a decision nature has to make. You are beginning to sound childish bro.

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 15, 2015
am not pro homosexuality or pro-gay you get, it's just that there's too much hate in this world, this is what happens when you hate something we become no different than hitler, or the catholic church or racists. Its like me attacking people for having different religions (which catholics/islam) does. But I am above hatred, I won't let myself be drowned in hate and start attacking gay people. that's why I don't care what they do as long as they live their lives and it doesn't bother me.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 15, 2015
Besides Homosexual are two consenting adults. so what gives ?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by dinachi(m): 10:20am On Aug 15, 2015
pcguru1:

"ad hominem" - Afftecting nigerians , I rather not spend my time hating gay people, I'd rather focus on those who deserve my hate. After all it would be hypocritical of me to say I hate gay people when I have a friend I met online who's source code i use everyday and he's gay, gay people are human beings, if you have a problem with gay people, maybe you should be finding a solution for your problem as they seem to living fine.

Also your Ad Hominem stance is weird, how did you convince Henry is gay just because of his position ? that's a weird train of thought ?
Since you love homosexuals may your father and mother become homosexuals, may your brothers, sisters,your wife and kids become homosexuals.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 15, 2015
pcguru1:
am not pro homosexuality or pro-gay you get, it's just that there's too much hate in this world, this is what happens when you hate something we become no different than hitler, or the catholic church or racists. Its like me attacking people for having different religions (which catholics/islam) does. But I am above hatred, I won't let myself be drowned in hate and start attacking gay people. that's why I don't care what they do as long as they live their lives and it doesn't bother me.

My bro. U have said it all. Lets forget our differences and come together as one. Christianity purports that we should love men of all sorts.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Terrified Of Gay Marriages In America? by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 15, 2015
dinachi:

Since you love homosexuals may your father and mother become homosexuals, may your brothers, sisters,your wife and kids become homosexuals.

Well i don't have father anymore so that statement is asserted as wrong
my mother is remarried so that assertion is wrong
i don't have sisters so that statement asserts wrong
my brother got girlfriends but who knows they might become gay because I notice they like Justin Beiber so much and lil wayne which to me interpretes as gay so there's a possibility.

My Wife and kids hmmmmm i don't know but time will time sha, thanks bro I also wish the same to you too. wink

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Adventures Of An Innocent Calabar Boy / Taking Your Baby To Motherless Home / What A Lady Should Know Before Dating A Married Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.