Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,281 members, 7,884,491 topics. Date: Tuesday, 09 July 2024 at 11:23 AM

I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. (5540 Views)

Accident In Uyo,Ambulance Carrying Corpse Collides With A Moving Van(pics) / Planning On Moving To Ghana. / I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by Daresh(f): 8:37pm On Jul 15, 2015
SimplyNicole:
I live in the United States and I am planning on moving to Lagos Nigeria in the summer of 2016, and I have been planning for quite sometime now. I am a 17 year old African American & Pacific Islander female. I have little family out there but I will be living independently. I just want to know what to expect such as, how are the living conditions, how safe it is living out there. I also want to attend college out there.Now i have done my reasearch but I would like to get answers specifically from people who live in this particular country as well. Some questions I have are,
-How are the people generally down there?
-Is it expensive to live in Lagos?
-How is the environment?
-Weather conditions?
-What kind of entertainment is there down there?
-Education system?
-Culture?
-Is it hard to get around in Lagos?
-Is it easy to find a job in lagos?
And much more
Specifically for people who live in Lagos for a while.

Don't bother. 17 is too young, life is too hard and things are waaaaay to expensive.
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 15, 2015
Op am 19 and am gonna tell you the fact leaving america go come to any African country is like leaving heaven and saying you wanna go to hell. All of them are all failed states and you wanna come to college in nigeria. Hahahaha. Strikes cultists and substandard education. There are no jobs In Nigeria, I stayed at home for a month before seeing a place to do an IT. IT o not even job. Nigeria is a big pile of shit. Never ever make a mistake of coming to nigeria or any other African country in general. You will live to regret it. Pure undiluted truth

3 Likes

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by 9jaStar: 9:48pm On Jul 15, 2015
SimplyNicole:
I live in the United States and I am planning on moving to Lagos Nigeria in the summer of 2016, and I have been planning for quite sometime now. I am a 17 year old African American & Pacific Islander female. I have little family out there but I will be living independently. I just want to know what to expect such as, how are the living conditions, how safe it is living out there. I also want to attend college out there.Now i have done my reasearch but I would like to get answers specifically from people who live in this particular country as well. Some questions I have are,
-How is the environment?
-Weather conditions?
-Education system?
-Culture?
And much more

Hi Nicole, I live in Lagos. Have done for the last 12 years and while I wouldn't quite advise living alone, my opinion is that if your family are confident you can handle it, then it's fine.
To answer your questions:
1. The people are great. Just like everywhere else, you have all sorts. It would depend on where you want to stay. Usually, I would advise the Island (that's the highbrow area, you'll understand when you get here). But seeing as you want to go to College, Yaba or Gbagada would be perfect. Both close to UniLag, one of the top Universities in Nigeria
2. Lagos is expensive. Luckily for you, the USD is pretty strong against the naira so that might count in your favour. Don't knownifnthatnwill hold till next summer though. But Expect to spend in the region of $2000-$3500/year for a one bedroom apartment around the areas I mentioned above.
3. Weather is hot and humid. Anything from 28C to 33C (yeah, we use Centigrade here, not Fahrenheit)
4. Entertainment is good. You've got all sorts. But you'll find that clubs play mostly Nigerian music and going out at night is reasonably safe. Try not to go out on your own and always let a trusted person know your whereabouts.
5. Education system doesn't compare with the USA. But trust me, you'll get more than a formal education. You will learn hard life lessons.
6. Getting around Lagos is a nightmare. Traffic is horrendous usually. But again, if you are at school and you live around Yaba/Gbagada or even Vi, you should be fine. As you'd be going to school against both the morning and closing time rush hour.
7. Finding a job is touch. But get past school first and you can deal with that. Although I hope you don't intend to use the job to finance your study? That will be really tough.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by 9jaStar: 9:53pm On Jul 15, 2015
tensazangetsu:
Op am 19 and am gonna tell you the fact leaving america go come to any African country is like leaving heaven and saying you wanna go to hell. All of them are all failed states and you wanna come to college in nigeria. Hahahaha. Strikes cultists and substandard education. There are no jobs In Nigeria, I stayed at home for almost 6 months before seeing a place to do an IT. IT o not even job. Nigeria is a big pile of shit. Never ever make a mistake of coming to nigeria or any other African country in general. You will live to regret it. Pure undiluted truth

Oh yeah? Yet, people are living the US and UK and those other places and coming to Nigeria not only to get jobs but to create them.
A lot of the top middle management professionals in Nigeria relocated from abroad. Many successful business owners relocated from abroad.
You want examples? Jumia, Konga, TraceTV. The guys running a lot of the e-payment solutions in the country. Go to Google and see how many are there who came back and are enjoying good jobs.

If you don't have the ability to make it, many others have. They didn't sit down and wait for things to come to them. They worked hard and are earning the rewards therefrom.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jul 15, 2015
9jaStar:

Oh yeah? Yet, people are living the US and UK and those other places and coming to Nigeria not only to get jobs but to create them.
A lot of the top middle management professionals in Nigeria relocated from abroad. Many successful business owners relocated from abroad.
You want examples? Jumia, Konga, TraceTV. The guys running a lot of the e-payment solutions in the country. Go to Google and see how many are there who came back and are enjoying good jobs.

If you don't have the ability to make it, many others have. They didn't sit down and wait for things to come to them. They worked hard and are earning the rewards therefrom.
she is not those people. Am just giving her the pure undiluted truth. She can choose whether she comes or not it's her choice. Life is all about choices and if she makes a choice to come to this backward ass continent that's her business.
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by 9jaStar: 10:05pm On Jul 15, 2015
tensazangetsu:
she is not those people. Am just giving her the pure undiluted truth. She can choose whether she comes or not it's her choice. Life is all about choices and if she makes a choice to come to this backward ass continent that's her business.

No. You are giving her the benefit of your bad experience which is nobody's fault but yours.

I have given you examples of people who moved back here and are doing pretty well with their lives with legitimate jobs and business.

Yet, you very confidently say ALL African countries are failed states. Tell me, how many African countries have you been to that qualifies you to make such a sweeping statement?

I would want to believe that you've travelled to all 54 countries and experienced their 'failures'. Otherwise, such a sweeping fallacy would belie any sort of education

1 Like

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 15, 2015
9jaStar:

No. You are giving her the benefit of your bad experience which is nobody's fault but yours.

I have given you examples of people who moved back here and are doing pretty well with their lives with legitimate jobs and business.

Yet, you very confidently say ALL African countries are failed states. Tell me, how many African countries have you been to that qualifies you to make such a sweeping statement?

I would want to believe that you've travelled to all 54 countries and experienced their 'failures'. Otherwise, such a sweeping fallacy would belie any sort of education
I have been to more than 20 African countries and as bad as nigeria is its still better than most of them. Op If you decided to come to africa, try south Africa but go to where white people are more than blacks.
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by 9jaStar: 10:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
tensazangetsu:
I have been to more than 20 African countries and as bad as nigeria is its still better than most of them. Op If you decided to come to africa, try south Africa but go to where white people are more than blacks.

You are 19. Recently spent 6 months looking for a position as an intern, yet you've been to 20 Afrucan countries. Why do I find that hard to believe?

Second, you said ALL African countries are failed states. Yet, you've not been to all. And also, you are recommending South Africa (that's an African country, you know).

See what happens when you type without thinking?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 15, 2015
9jaStar:

You are 19. Recently spent 6 months looking for a position as an intern, yet you've been to 20 Afrucan countries. Why do I find that hard to believe?

Second, you said ALL African countries are failed states. Yet, you've not been to all. And also, you are recommending South Africa (that's an African country, you know).

See what happens when you type without thinking?
lol hard to believe I school in ghana by the way one of the supposedly best African countries as hyped by the media. Op never ever come to africa. I have said my own. Reality will dawn on you when you come.
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by yorubadelta(f): 10:31pm On Jul 15, 2015
SimplyNicole:

Actually I will be 18 next year.

Woooow! big girl.... Oya tell me more cheesy

5 Likes

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by ttmacoy: 12:44am On Jul 16, 2015
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by ttmacoy: 1:08am On Jul 16, 2015
Hahahahahaha so you plan to move from the US to Lagos where you have no family as a 17 year old to go to college lol.

Goodluck.

SimplyNicole:

Well I plan to move and go to college there . I also have family that I will be seeing as well. I think moving to Lagos will be a challenge but its something I wanna do.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by ttmacoy: 1:13am On Jul 16, 2015
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by galleria(f): 4:50am On Jul 16, 2015
Lagos is a nice place
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by ijescorner: 1:59pm On Jul 16, 2015
Check out www.longidi.com

and feel free to email me from the site..

SimplyNicole:
-How is the environment?
-Weather conditions?
-Education system?
-Culture?
And much more
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by Yababoy(m): 8:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
9jaStar:

Hi Nicole, I live in Lagos. Have done for the last 12 years and while I wouldn't quite advise living alone, my opinion is that if your family are confident you can handle it, then it's fine.
To answer your questions:
1. The people are great. Just like everywhere else, you have all sorts. It would depend on where you want to stay. Usually, I would advise the Island (that's the highbrow area, you'll understand when you get here). But seeing as you want to go to College, Yaba or Gbagada would be perfect. Both close to UniLag, one of the top Universities in Nigeria
2. Lagos is expensive. Luckily for you, the USD is pretty strong against the naira so that might count in your favour. Don't knownifnthatnwill hold till next summer though. But Expect to spend in the region of $2000-$3500/year for a one bedroom apartment around the areas I mentioned above.
3. Weather is hot and humid. Anything from 28C to 33C (yeah, we use Centigrade here, not Fahrenheit)
4. Entertainment is good. You've got all sorts. But you'll find that clubs play mostly Nigerian music and going out at night is reasonably safe. Try not to go out on your own and always let a trusted person know your whereabouts.
5. Education system doesn't compare with the USA. But trust me, you'll get more than a formal education. You will learn hard life lessons.
6. Getting around Lagos is a nightmare. Traffic is horrendous usually. But again, if you are at school and you live around Yaba/Gbagada or even Vi, you should be fine. As you'd be going to school against both the morning and closing time rush hour.
7. Finding a job is touch. But get past school first and you can deal with that. Although I hope you don't intend to use the job to finance your study? That will be really tough.
The only person that has made sense on this thread, thanks for this. Ure spot on. A lot of u guys need to stop seeing the world from ur eyes only. Nigeria remains one of the most fun place to be, yes we've got our own issues like other countries too, but I can tell u that the opportunities in this land can hardly be imagined. OP, ure very welcome to come. U would enjoy ursef, only advise is visit for a short term first and gauge ur ability to adapt. Cheers

1 Like

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by JayJustus(m): 10:10pm On Jul 16, 2015
move joorh if you wanna move....my cousin left america to study in covenant university...and he's doing just fine...telling us if he gets a job offer he will stay in Nigeria..if it's your wish then do as your heart wishes...there are opportunities... as my Armenian friend would say "Lagos is home to anybody... Lagos is where there is money I'm the drainage but Lagosians don't see"...do your research...look for how you'd stand out and you betcha...gon love the place...born and bred in Lagos...somewhere in the pacifics
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by JayJustus(m): 10:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
9jaStar:

tell em oooooo... the guy that made easy taxi app came back home...the guy that hosts Etisalat kids say show was Ellen Degeneres DJ (British-american)...let's go into my area which is culinary...many chefs came back to Nigeria to open their cafes...let me list...chef fregz (known chef in France) chef eros, chef zeelicious (British-nigerian), chef stone...and the likes...okay...the owner of a scuba diving and snorkeling company is an Armenian...I lived with so many Asians on the mainland (Chinese, Indians, Lebanese, Singaporeans)...she will find her lots there
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by ttmacoy: 11:12pm On Jul 16, 2015
We're not saying Lagos is not good. We are saying a 17 year old will leave her family and all in America to come to Nigeria for college.lol

After College (I assume Yabatech) how will she get work when they ask for passport or work papers? Even if she is able to get admission to Yaba Tech or Uni lag after the stress of JAMB etc and she completed the 4 year course in 5-6 years. How will she serve when she finishes?

The people you mention who return from America to Nigeria and make it are those who are older, more matured, went abroad to study and get good experience not 17 year olds going to Nigeria for college. More importantly they are Nigerians who have family and know their way around. Please tell her the truth.

Wouldn't a better option be finish your studies in the US, start work with a company who can transfer you to Nigeria or come with an investment idea?

I really don't believe the story anyway because how will her family and parents encourage a 17 year old American to relocate to Lagos where she knows no one for college.

I know we want to speak good able our country but let's be practical here.

Yababoy:

The only person that has made sense on this thread, thanks for this. Ure spot on. A lot of u guys need to stop seeing the world from ur eyes only. Nigeria remains one of the most fun place to be, yes we've got our own issues like other countries too, but I can tell u that the opportunities in this land can hardly be imagined. OP, ure very welcome to come. U would enjoy ursef, only advise is visit for a short term first and gauge ur ability to adapt. Cheers

4 Likes

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by ttmacoy: 11:18pm On Jul 16, 2015
And all these people you mentioned came to Nigeria as 17 year olds with no degree or experience and set up taxi app and Etisalat?

Didn't these people you are talking able come back to Nigeria after education and experience and exposure abroad to set theses businesses up?

She as a 17 year old will relocate to Nigeria where she knows nobody and attend Yaba Tech as someone suggested and be the next Dangote right?

JayJustus:

tell em oooooo... the guy that made easy taxi app came back home...the guy that hosts Etisalat kids say show was Ellen Degeneres DJ (British-american)...let's go into my area which is culinary...many chefs came back to Nigeria to open their cafes...let me list...chef fregz (known chef in France) chef eros, chef zeelicious (British-nigerian), chef stone...and the likes...okay...the owner of a scuba diving and snorkeling company is an Armenian...I lived with so many Asians on the mainland (Chinese, Indians, Lebanese, Singaporeans)...she will find her lots there

1 Like

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by scholti: 12:26am On Jul 17, 2015
tensazangetsu:
lol hard to believe I school in ghana by the way one of the supposedly best African countries as hyped by the media. Op never ever come to africa. I have said my own. Reality will dawn on you when you come.

We have a shitty country yet aeroplanes are filled foreigners coming to Nigeria to set up.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by JayJustus(m): 3:11am On Jul 17, 2015
ttmacoy:
And all these people you mentioned came to Nigeria as 17 year olds with no degree or experience and set up taxi app and Etisalat?

Didn't these people you are talking able come back to Nigeria after education and experience and exposure abroad to set theses businesses up?

She as a 17 year old will relocate to Nigeria where she knows nobody and attend Yaba Tech as someone suggested and be the next Dangote right?

it's not about that...it's people saying that the environment is not good enough for her which is bullshyte...she can succeed even if she's 12...so let her be and do what she wants...definitely she will have to have someone as a guardian so peace out
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by JayJustus(m): 3:24am On Jul 17, 2015
scholti:

Dumb fool. Return your keyboard back you belong to the bush. Nigeria is a shithole yet we have a GDP of 500 million plus. We have a shittu country yet aeroplanes are filled foreigners coming to Nigeria to set up.

leave the murrafacker alone...I study tourism and the inbound tourist arrival in Nigeria in 2013 was above 4.5 million just behind Egypt, south Africa and morocco...let em be spilling bullshyte... they need to goto Nigerian embassy in India and see the struggle for a visa or at Lebanon or Beijing??

1 Like

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by ttmacoy: 8:59am On Jul 17, 2015
As I said i don't believe the story because it makes no sense but good-luck to her as she seeks her destiny in Lagos.

JayJustus:

it's not about that...it's people saying that the environment is not good enough for her which is bullshyte...she can succeed even if she's 12...so let her be and do what she wants...definitely she will have to have someone as a guardian so peace out
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by spartanian(m): 10:55am On Jul 17, 2015
I will recommend Abuja over Lagos because of the unnecessary traffic stress, overpopulation, etc.
Abuja is more calm, civilized, and things are more organized.
Renting a room apartment is about $2000 per annum that is if you don't want to stay in the University hostel in school.
I will recommend African University of Science and Technology, Abuja for you.
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 17, 2015
See me see trouble, why du u guys always like to disturb ur brain. One stupid person will just get bored in his or her house. The nxt minute is to think of a topic that wil b making evrybody want to fight with dem selfs. I no sure say una get work to do, boya d mumu no get family wey fit advice am.

Anyway make una no vex ooooo, but d topic no worth debating on
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by RepEnugu(m): 2:08pm On Jul 18, 2015
-How is the environment?
-Weather conditions?
-Education system?
-Culture?
And much more
idiot typing from ajegunle...

3 Likes

Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by tpiadotcom: 11:34pm On Jul 18, 2015
such an awkward moment. . . . . .
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by youngflexkid: 9:57pm On Oct 19, 2016
Re: I Am Planning On Moving To Lagos Nigeria. by ibahimxbbs: 7:04am On Oct 20, 2016
jst knw u are coming down to nigeria to come and spend ur money not to come and add to it by getting a good job it's not even easy to get a good job in kano or any northern states not to talk of lagos. or are u related to aleko of eko or oniru's family. but to be sincere don't think you are for real.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Easiest Western Country To Visit With Virgin Passport. / Best Airline To Travel From US To Nigeria? / Turkey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.