Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,177 members, 7,880,672 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:28 AM

Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) (66388 Views)

Donatus Okonkwo And Jim Iyke With 50cent (Photos) / Jim Iyke With His Babymama And Son / Jim Iyke With Cast Of 'A star in Heaven' In Atlanta (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by kenoz(m): 10:22pm On Jul 15, 2015
Cool
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by elampiro(m): 10:47pm On Jul 15, 2015
naptu2:

Predrag Mijatovic. That was against Yugoslavia. Regarding Rufai, he (rightly) said that he was not in form for the World Cup. He was on his way to the Caribbeans for his holiday when he was recalled, which leads to my questions, (1) Why was he dropped in the first place (2) Why was he handed the first team shirt ahead of the others.

Rufai had clearly past his best by 1998. You know too he did not participate in our world cup qualifier matches towards USA 94. The matches were kept by Wilfried Agnonovbare. Rufai was lucky to be recalled into the team at his final stage of his career. So, after USA 94 it was obvious Rufai was done with Super Eagles.

Ike Shoronmu was obvioulsy our best keeper in 1997 and 1998 while Biodun was rated very high with his great form in 3SC. Local journalist wrote and promoted Biodun. With these two guys, Rufai's time in Super Eagles was over.

Unfortunately news came that Shoronmu was injured. I almost cried. Then Biodun was thought to be up to the task until his nervousness exposed him and he missed clearing a back pass. That was why Rufai was recalled. At least he wouldnt have the stage fright of unexposed Biodun Baruwa and Opara.
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by Ekaka1(m): 11:03pm On Jul 15, 2015
hatux:
Cool

Cool??.....nah.....
Zoom in on those Amo-taxi's feet...ewwwwwww
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by naptu2: 11:05pm On Jul 15, 2015
elampiro:

Rufai had clearly past his best by 1998. You know too he did not participate in our world cup qualifier matches towards USA 94. The matches were kept by Wilfried Agnonovbare. Rufai was lucky to be recalled into the team at his final stage of his career. So, after USA 94 it was obvious Rufai was done with Super Eagles.

Ike Shoronmu was obvioulsy our best keeper in 1997 and 1998 while Biodun was rated very high with his great form in 3SC. Local journalist wrote and promoted Biodun. With these two guys, Rufai's time in Super Eagles was over.

Unfortunately news came that Shoronmu was injured. I almost cried. Then Biodun was thought to be up to the task until his nervousness exposed him and he missed clearing a back pass. That was why Rufai was recalled. At least he wont have the stage fright of unexposed Biodun Baruwa and Opara.

Rufai moved to Dragoons of Benin in the mid-1980s and dropped out of the Super Eagles after Maroc '88 as a result. Aloy Agu was our first choice keeper. Westerhof was also angry with Rufai because of what happened in Cameroon in 1989. The Minister brought Rufai to the camp after the deadline for players had passed. He wanted Westerhof to field Rufai, but Westerhoff said, "either he go or I go".

Alloy was our first choice keeper at Algeria '90 and Senegal '92, but Alloy had an injury when we played in a match against Ghana. He collided with the post and lost a tooth. He was never the same after that. Westerhof tried Agbonavbare, but he was awful, so he had no choice but to recall Rufai.

Ike was undoubtedly our best keeper before France '98. I had been a fan of his right from when he was Stores and I followed his career even when Shooting stole him from us, but Rufai was our second best keeper at the time. I agree with you that he was not as good as he was at Maroc '88 or USA '94, but he was good enough to be second choice. I also cried when Ikeh got injured because I knew that Abiodun Baruwa was not experienced enough to be second choice and I was vindicated when they had to recall Rufai (bypassing both Opara and Baruwa). Rufai should not have been dropped. He should have been training with the team, which would have put him in better shape by the time he had to eventually man the posts.
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by elampiro(m): 11:19pm On Jul 15, 2015
naptu2:

Rufai moved to Dragoons of Benin in the mid-1980s and dropped out of the Super Eagles after Maroc '88 as a result. Aloy Agu was our first choice keeper. Westerhof was also angry with Rufai because of what happened in Cameroon in 1989. The Minister brought Rufai to the camp after the deadline for players had passed. He wanted Westerhof to field Rufai, but Westerhoff said, "either he go or I go".

Alloy was our first choice keeper at Algeria '90 and Senegal '92, but Alloy had an injury when we played in a match against Ghana. He collided with the post and lost a tooth. He was never the same after that. Westerhof tried Agbonavbare, but he was awful, so he had no choice but to recall Rufai.

Ike was undoubtedly our best keeper before France '98. I had been a fan of his right from when he was Stores and I followed his career even when Shooting stole him from us, but Rufai was our second best keeper at the time. I agree with you that he was not as good as he was at Maroc '88 or USA '94, but he was good enough to be second choice. I also cried when Ikeh got injured because I knew that Abiodun Baruwa was not experienced enough to be second choice and I was vindicated when they had to recall Rufai (bypassing both Opara and Baruwa). Rufai should not have been dropped.

Agbonovbare was not awful. How can a keeper who qualified us for our first world cup ever could be said to be awful. Qualifying matches were more difficult than the tournaments proper.

How many goals did he even concede in all the games of the final Qualifying matches. If my memory serves me right, we lost 1-2 in Ivory Coast, won 4-1 against Algeria and Ivory Coast respectively in Lagos. Drew 1-1 in Algiers to top the group and qualified.

I saw Rufai in Maroc 88 and Henry Nwosu, Bright Omokaro and co. I knew all that story about Westrhof, the match in Cameroun, Allow Agu etc.

But you were wrong about Agbonovbare. He benched Agu in our world cup Qualifying games. He did very greatly. Nice reflexes. But Rufai was a household name. A return of Rufai would always certainly guarantee he started.
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by naptu2: 11:52pm On Jul 15, 2015
elampiro:

Agbonovbare was not awful. How can a keeper who qualified us for our first world cup ever was awful. Qualifying matches were more difficult than the tournaments proper.

How many goals did he even concede in all the games of the final Qualifying matches. If my memory serve me right, we lost 1-2 in Ivory Coast, won 4-1 respect against Algeria and Ivory Coast respectively in Lagos. Drew 1-1 in Algiers to top the group to qualify.

I saw Rufai in Maroc 88 and Henry Nwosu, Bright Omokaro and co. I knew all that story about Westrhof, the match in Cameroun, Allow Agu etc.

But you were wrong about Agbonovbare. He benched Agu in our world cup Qualifying games. He did greatly.

Alloy Agu started the qualifiers (both Nations Cup and World Cup qualifiers). He initially benched Agbonavbare (against South Africa, Congo, etc), but he suffered a shocking loss of form after his injury. I was usually scared when he was between the sticks. Agbonavbare took over for the second part of the qualifiers. He also suffered a loss of form. There were many close shaves and I remember that after a game in Lagos (I think it was against Ivory Coast, I can't remember for sure) fans demanded that he should be replaced. The newspapers revived the nickname "Agbonabasket". I remember my young neighbour saying that they should never field "that fat man" again. It was after the loss of form that Westerhoff finally decided to invite Rufai. NFA officials had been on Westerhoff's case that he should invite Rufai, but he had refused (especially after what happened in Cameroon in 1989). The only reason that Westerhoff gave in was because both Agbonavbare and Alloy had lost form.

In fact, I remember that I watched the game against Bulgaria with a guy who had been a goalkeeper for one of the schools that won the Principals Cup and he said that if Rufai got injured he would kit up and go on the field (it was a joke, but he looked serious when he said it). That's because he didn't trust either Alloy or Agbonavbare after their loss of form during the qualifiers.
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by elampiro(m): 12:00am On Jul 16, 2015
naptu2:

Alloy Agu started the qualifiers (both Nations Cup and World Cup qualifiers). He initially benched Agbonavbare (against South Africa, Congo, etc), but he suffered a shocking loss of form after his injury. I was usually scared when he was between the sticks. Agbonavbare took over for the second part of the qualifiers. He also suffered a loss of form. There were many close shaves and I remember that after a game in Lagos (I think it was against Ivory Coast, I can't remember for sure) fans demanded that he should be replaced. The newspapers revived the nickname "Agbonabasket". I remember my young neighbour saying that they should never field "that fat man" again. It was after the loss of form that Westerhoff finally decided to invite Rufai. NFA officials had been on Westerhoff's case that he should invite Rufai, but he had refused (especially after what happened in Cameroon in 1989). The only reason that Westerhoff gave in was because both Agbonavbare and Alloy had lost form.

Agbonovbare kept the most important stage. Agu kept the walk over stage.

Agbonovbare was called basket long before he took over from Agu. He was marvelous. Agu only lost his tooth, he met a Superior keeper in Agbonovbare and Agu bowed out.

Remember the nations cup qualifier went side by side with world cup qualifier. westerhof used team B, mostly home based to prosecute the nations cup while team A was used to play the world cup games. Here Agbonovbare was chosen for the World Cup games.

Agbonovbare made important and crucial saves. We didn't really miss Rufai. But when Agu kept, it was obvious he was a tenant between the post.
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by naptu2: 12:05am On Jul 16, 2015
elampiro:

Agbonovbare kept the most important stage. Agu kept the walk over stage.

Agbonovbare was called basket long before he took over from Agu. He was marvelous. Agu only lost his tooth, he met a Superior keeper in Agbonovbare and Agu bowed out.

I need to go to sleep, so this must be my last post.

I'm not arguing about whether Agbonavbare was good or not. I know he was good. I watched him play for Rayo and he was superb. He originally got the nickname Agbonavbare from our game against Brazil at Seoul '88 (we lost 4-0), that's why I used the word revived.

However, he lost form during the qualifiers and this was why Westerhoff had to recall Rufai (despite the fact that he really didn't want to).
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by elampiro(m): 12:11am On Jul 16, 2015
naptu2:

I need to go to sleep, so this must be my last post.

I'm not arguing about whether Agbonavbare was good or not. I know he was good. I watched him play for Rayo and he was superb. He originally got the nickname Agbonavbare from our game against Brazil at Seoul '88 (we lost 4-0), that's why I used the word revived.

However, he lost form during the qualifiers and this was why Westerhoff had to recall Rufai (despite the fact that he really didn't want to).

I disagree. People loved Rufai and journalist never allowed the case to end. From 1989 they did not stop Writing how the best keeper in Africa was being excluded. So Westerhof was forced to recall him.

Agbonovbare was good for us, but just that Rufai was so much loved and established in the whole continent.
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by elampiro(m): 12:35am On Jul 16, 2015
Lastly, if Agbonovbare wasn’t superb in the world cup qualifying games, Westerhof would not have allowed him kept all the games. He would have succumb to pressure to invite Rufai after one or two games.

But he kept in Ivory Coast. We lost to Siasia`s selfishness. He refused to pass to Yekini for a tap in goal, then he missed himself. That was how Amokachie was promoted to support striking role while Siasia went to the bench.

Agbonovbare kept in our 4-1 win against Algeria.

Agbonovbare kept in our 4-1 win against Ivory Coast.

Agbonovbare kept the most crucial game of Super Eagles in history where we needed to get a compulsory draw in cold night in Algiers against a team that was probably the most feared in world cup matches as regard to African countries. Why was Rufai not invited at this stage of life and death?
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by donshady(m): 7:37am On Jul 16, 2015
Yomieluv:
The three horsemen.

The movie "the messenger " don scatter you own brain abi
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by ylaa(f): 10:28am On Jul 16, 2015
HOW UR OWN SHOE BE?
sucess001:
see jim iyke shoe like person wey be gay
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by sucess001(m): 11:03am On Jul 16, 2015
ylaa:
HOW UR OWN SHOE BE?

smiley smiley
add me up if u wanna see it...

1 Like

Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by ylaa(f): 12:52pm On Jul 16, 2015
funny you
sucess001:

smiley smiley
add me up if u wanna see it...
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by sucess001(m): 12:52pm On Jul 16, 2015
ylaa:
funny you

yea yea...howz u...
Re: Jim Iyke With Daniel Amokachi And Babayaro Emmanuel (photo) by ylaa(f): 12:54pm On Jul 16, 2015
smiley
sucess001:

yea yea...howz u...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sola Onayiga ‘Kitchen Practical’ Is Dead / If Not For Music, These Nigerian Artistes Would Be Fashion Stars / Mitchell Mimi Ozakpolor: "My Boobs Caused An Accident In Lagos"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.