Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,769 members, 7,889,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 01:07 PM

Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? (880 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of This Bible Verse? / Who Can Explain This Bible Verse? / Christians,why Do You Always Ignore This Bible Verse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by OgundeleT(m): 9:33pm On Jul 15, 2015
PRO 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest
thou also be like unto him.
PRO 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he
be wise in his own conceit.
This chapter is somehow contradictory to me please I need somebody to help me our.
SHOULD I ANSWER A FOOL OR NOT? BECAUSE THIS CHAPTER IS CONFUSING ME
Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by thorpido(m): 9:51pm On Jul 15, 2015
The two verses show that you need wisdom to know when to apply each one. Just like the bible says there is a time to talk and a time to be quiet.
There is a time to answer a fool and a time to ignore him.

2 Likes

Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by philiancoop(m): 9:52pm On Jul 15, 2015
Its not contradictory. The Bible NEVER contradicts itself. These are meant to be applied to different situations and people... Under the guidance of the Spirit
Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by ibkgab001: 10:01pm On Jul 15, 2015
Well said up above me
Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by psucc(m): 10:04pm On Jul 15, 2015
Wisdom is needed. It is not all the time that you respond to issues and most times you have to in order to set the record straight.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by AirstarKane(f): 10:07pm On Jul 15, 2015
It says same thing and not contradictory. Read again & with willingness 2 understand not having mind 2 criticism it.

1 Like

Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by OgundeleT(m): 4:23pm On Jul 20, 2015
u are all saying one need wisdom before one understand a plain language. i dont know how god will write a book that will not be clear to everyone
Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by mrZENographer: 6:02pm On Jul 20, 2015
OgundeleT:
This chapter is somehow contradictory to me please I need somebody to help me our.

EXPLANATIONS
pro 26:4 you should not follow or support a fool (could be a friend/stranger) to do his folly, else you have become a fool like him.

pro 26:5 you should be careful when conversing with a fool. He may never accept ur wisdom so dont waste ur precious pearls on him. If u must answer him, make him feel d wiser and urself d loser.

I have always understood this scriptures. You have to ask God for understanding.

see related verses
"Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a
wise man, and he will love thee." proverbs 9:8

"Even a fool when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise. and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man od understanding". Prov 17:28

from ur recent comment its evidnt that you must grow in faith in Christ so u dont expire. Please start watching The Lord's Chosen cable. Its on STRONG satellite tv.

be blessed.
Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by Appleyard(m): 7:05pm On Jul 20, 2015
Interesting answers and questions so far!

The book of proverbs actually conotes the application of wisdom in the face of difficult challenges relating to personal or outside circumstances. Thus, this is what it meant when it was stated in the said scriptures;

Proverbs 26:4 "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him."

Have you ever heard someone say, "That doesn't deserve
an answer"? That is about what this is saying here. The
question might have been intended to trap you. At any rate, a foolish question does not become more wise by giving a foolish answer. You see, to answer his ridiculous question would be as if you are saying this is a worthwhile question.
Taken together, these verses teach the appropriate way to answer a fool who is an unbeliever who rejects truth. He should not be answered with agreement to his own ideas and presuppositions, or he will think he is right. Rather he should be rebuked on the basis of his folly and shown the truth so he sees how foolish he is. (v.5)

Proverbs 26:5 "Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit."

This seems like a direct contrast to verse four, but on a
closer look it is quite the opposite. You must be very
careful how you answer. As we said above, whatever you
do, you must not give the impression that this foolish
question deserves an answer. The only reason to answer at all is to show him not to be conceited.
Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by OgundeleT(m): 8:41pm On Jul 20, 2015
mrZENographer:

EXPLANATIONS
pro 26:4 you should not follow or support a fool (could be a friend/stranger) to do his folly, else you have become a fool like him.

pro 26:5 you should be careful when conversing with a fool. He may never accept ur wisdom so dont waste ur precious pearls on him. If u must answer him, make him feel d wiser and urself d loser.

I have always understood this scriptures. You have to ask God for understanding.

see related verses
"Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a
wise man, and he will love thee." proverbs 9:8

"Even a fool when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise. and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man od understanding". Prov 17:28

from ur recent comment its evidnt that you must grow in faith in Christ so u dont expire. Please start watching The Lord's Chosen cable. Its on STRONG satellite tv.

be blessed.
U av not in anyway explain simple text to me than u just twisting it, the on ly different i see in those chapters in answer a fool and answer not a fool, but i dont know where u see ur own follow a fool here
Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by MuttleyLaff: 10:24pm On Jul 20, 2015
OgundeleT:
PRO 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
PRO 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.
This chapter is somehow contradictory to me please I need somebody to help me out
There really isnt any need for anyone to help
The two verses are self explanatory,
thorpido rightly mentioned "timing"
ibkgab001 rightly agreed with philiancoop mentioning that "under guidance one will know when to apply/use which verse"
psucc rightly mentioned "wisdom"
Appleyard rightly re-echoed thorpido's similar "application of wisdom"

OgundeleT, to start with the style of writing used in Proverbs 26:4-5 is called antithesis
The seemingly two contrasting verses are intentionally written that way, one after the other
It is done this way, to emphasize the difference between the two advices conveyed in the verses

There is a difference, that difference is "when and when not to"

"when and when not to" is a decision making thing
Get the decision making thing right, it is becomes wisdom, as a good decision was made
Get it or the timing wrong wrong, it becomes foolishness, as a bad decision or timing was made

Fool in the Bible doesn't necessarily have a derogatory slant to it
What it means is the person has made bad or wrong decisions about something
Taking, adopting, supporting bad or wrong decisions makes one foolish, taking good or right decisions makes one look wise

You're right the verses are contradictory but that is what antithesis is all about
It will take "wisdom" as in knowing when to make good or right decisions on which of the two verses one needs to apply its advice

Proverbs 26:4
Don't answer the foolish arguments of fools, or you will become as foolish as they are.

^^^
The above verse means, decide when not to answer someone who has made a bad decision over an opinion etc else you get roped into his world of bad decision making

Proverbs 26:5
Be sure to answer the foolish arguments of fools, or they will become wise in their own estimation.

^^^
The above verse means, decide when to answer someone who has made a bad decision over an opinion etc, if not the delusion wont be checked

As seen it will take a wise person to know when to apply the advice in Proverbs 26:4 or when to use the one in Proverbs 26:5
Wisdom is all about decision making, making the right or correct decision at a particular moment or relevant time

As for "SHOULD I ANSWER A FOOL OR NOT?"
will say pick and choose your battles, choose your battles wisely, decide when or when not ...
Re: Please Who Can Help Me On This Bible Chapters? by NumberOne2(m): 6:02am On Jul 21, 2015
OgundeleT:

A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool's back. - Proverb 26:3
Should we flog fools also? NO.

The point is know when to and NOT to answer a fool (wisdom). You have to judge by the circumstances to see which is fitting.
Like the saying, silence is the best answer for a fool. vs 4
Sometimes, mockery is sometimes the answer for a fool. vs 5

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Christians Pray Using God Of A Particular Pastor Or Prophet. / Did Mohammed Write The Quran? / The Theory Of The Gaps. How Much Sense Does It Make?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.