Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,769 members, 7,912,146 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 10:14 PM

Learn How To Protect Yourself While Online - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Learn How To Protect Yourself While Online (1012 Views)

How-to-protect-your-home-appliances-from-electrical-power-surges / 10 Tips On How To Protect Your PC (windows) From Hackers & Viruses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Protect Yourself While Online by smobnology(m): 10:21am On Jul 16, 2015
www.smobnology.com/2015/05/how-can-i-protect-myself-while-online.html?m=0 Verify data is encrypted When sending confidential information over the Internet such as usernames, passwords, or credit card numbers only send it securely. To verify this look for a small lock ( ) in the bottom right corner of your browser window or next to the address bar (as shown below). If visible, this lock should also be in the locked position and not unlocked. Internet Explorer 7 secure address bar We also suggest making sure the URL begins with https as shown above. While the lock is in the lock position, data is encrypted, which helps anyone from understanding the data if it's intercepted. When no lock is visible or in the unlocked position all information is plaintext and if intercepted could be read. If a web page is not secure, such as an online forum, use a password you wouldn't use with protected sites such as your online banking website. E-mail is not encrypted Websites should not transmit confidential data over e-mail, such as passwords, credit card information, etc. E-mail is not encrypted and if intercepted by a third-party could be read. Be aware of phishing scams Familiarized yourself with phishing scams and techniques, which are used to trick you into divulging your account information. Online banking sites, Paypal, eBay, Amazon, and other popular sites that require logins are popular targets. Use a safe password Websites that store confidential data, such as an online bank site need to use strong passwords. Also, it is highly recommended that you use a different password for each website that requires a login. If you need help remembering your passwords consider using a password manager. Use caution when accepting or agreeing to prompts When prompted to install any program or add-on make sure to read and understand the agreement before clicking on the Ok button. If you do not understand the agreement or feel it is not necessary to install the program cancel or close the window. Additionally, when installing any program watch for any check box that asks if it's ok to install a third-party program, toolbar, etc. These are never required and often cause more issues than good. Leave these boxes unchecked. read more www.smobnology.com/2015/05/how-can-i-protect-myself-while-online.html?m=0 www.smobnology.com/2015/05/how-can-i-protect-myself-while-online.html?m=0
Re: Learn How To Protect Yourself While Online by tvreporter: 3:51pm On Jul 20, 2015
Protect your computer/pc from the rest of other pc, your pc come in connection with. I want you to know that computer is not a standalone device in these recent years. Why? Because pc are connected to another pc one way or the other either by local area network, or wide area network etc. this means that there is a inter connection between two system.

When you are connected to internet service your pc is one way or the other connected to another pc directly or indirectly. A firewall secures the barrier of your pc and any other computer on the outside world once you have a page on your browser. This part exposes you to everyone on the internet like world wide web have 80 port, the mail you receive also have 110 port any mail you sent through your pc contain the light of 25 port. The reason you should have a firewall on your pc,
Re: Learn How To Protect Yourself While Online by henri2398: 12:06pm On Jul 23, 2016
No matter whether you are security expert guy or a learner, everybody come across malware or virus infection. These days prevention from online threats has become very important because they not only corrupt or delete files or damage computer, but they also steal user private information and send it to hacker and this could result in victim’s wealth loss.

So, in order to be safe secure read and follow the instruction mentioned here - Top 5 Malware Safety Tips when you are Online

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of A Laptop From Price Range Of 30-35k / Best Laptop Deals Here / Get The Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) Model At Chuxel Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.