Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,928 members, 7,890,063 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:41 AM

How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg (1506 Views)

The Second Largest Employer Of Labour In Lagos State / If A Prospective Employer Sends This Kind Of Mail, What Does It Mean? / No Employer Will Hire You With That CV!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by emmalexdboy(m): 8:15am On Jul 18, 2015
1. SPEAK TO THE HIRING MANAGER NEEDS

Research the organization and the challenges of the role so you can put yourself in the hiring manager shoes. What problems do they need you to solve? Where will you be expected to make a difference? Then work out what career accomplishments, skills and talent you will need to demonstrate to perform well in the role.

It must be clear to the person reading your CV what benefits you offer, so make sure that what you write is relevant as possible to their specific needs. Relevance is much more appealing than generic. Write a strong career summary or professional profile highlighting your talents. You can make a great initial impact in a few sentences which summarize your unique value: your greatest achievement, how you contributed to a company or any special skills that are vital the role.

If you are replying a job advertisement, make sure you address each key requirement in your CV. Be careful with your choice of words. Use key words that are specific to your industry. It is especially important if you are changing career that you use terminologies that is suitable to the industry you are applying to. Choose keywords that reflect the seniority of the role. For example, if applying for high-post level positions, make sure you describe your leadership or management skills over lower level skill sets.

Review other job adverts for similar positions to find out what companies typically ask for, and how they word their requirements. This will help you decide which skills to priorities if you are writing speculatively.

2. BE CREDIBLE

Rather than just make claims for yourself, give the context of selected work history events and achievements. Where possible, quantify your achievements. Current research says that there are three categories you can use to quantify your achievements: Revenue, personal or staff productivity; and process efficiency. Use E and % to quantify the impact of what you did, for example, increasing revenue or productivity, cutting costs or delivery times, improving processes.etc. Provide some background to your key successes.

One way to do this is to use a “CAR” framework (challenge - action- result) to give the context. Briefly describe the problem\challenge; the action you took to solve it and finally the result of what you did. Choose success stories which are relevant to the role you are applying for. You can organize your stories into different themed groups, such as by skills-set, or by the key requirements mentioned in the job advert.

3. OVERCOME ANY DOUBTS

If some of your experience or skills come from a different sector, you will need to explain how they apply to the role and are relevant. In the case of transferable skills, give specific instances, of what it is you can do, and quantify these examples. If your skills are technical or role-specific, identify what it is about which makes it transferable or applicable. For example, if you have customized Word-press these for different clients, your skill is being able to bend technology to make custom applications\sites. To find the real impact of your skill, consider what they mean to the company. How does applying your skill improve efficiency, productivity or customer retention, for example?

4. KEEP IT CONCISE

In most cases, CV beyond two pages in length will not get read. Keep you CV concise and focused on the job you are applying for. Trim excess information and delete all irrelevances, such as experiences dating back more than 15 years, unimportant or obsolete skills, and puff-meaningless cliché phrases such as such a “team player”.

Instead of a “I was responsible for…”style of writing”, use strong action verbs such as “streamlined” or “slashed costs” to give more vivid picture of what you did. Aim to write in small, easily digestible chunk of information, rather than in tense paragraph. This makes it easier for your to find (and remember) key information.

5. LET YOUR ENTHUSIASM SHINE THROUGH

Although your covering letter is a good place to explain why you particularly want the job, or to work that company, your CV should also reflect your excitement about the opportunity. Make sure that the language you use conveys a genuine interest in the job, as well as a pride in your previous accomplishments. Use a range of vocabulary to stress, rather than obscure your unique value and past achievements.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by moredollar(m): 10:25am On Jul 18, 2015
Can we get a sample of a good CV? If yes, my email address is Tobyogboye@gmail.com. Thanks.....

1 Like

Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by blackmentor(m): 11:07am On Jul 18, 2015
Would lv to get a sample of a good CV for a fresher ibnenty@yahoo.com. thnks
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by packaging(m): 11:31am On Jul 18, 2015
please do same... jahknowsall@yahoo.com. thanks
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by obinna2nv(m): 11:55am On Jul 18, 2015
OK o!! All this CV sample we are getting everyday, but nothing to show for it...
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by Nhenhye(m): 12:01pm On Jul 18, 2015
Pls send also an example of d CV to dis mail... . . . .justcs1826@gmail.com
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by kennynelcon(m): 12:08pm On Jul 18, 2015
But remember, Don't Lie.
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by donuba61: 12:30pm On Jul 18, 2015
Pls send me a copy to ChinweubaUgwuanyi@gmail.com
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by Eddodoh(m): 12:41pm On Jul 18, 2015
Send to; odohedward82@gmail.com
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by franky024(m): 12:59pm On Jul 18, 2015
please send me a sample to my mail; ify4ebsu@yahoo.com. i am a fresh graduate applying for the post of intern medical laboratory scientist
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by shirgles(m): 5:17pm On Jul 18, 2015
Send me a sample too
Shegsoye@gmail.com
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by alex81(m): 5:28pm On Jul 18, 2015
[color=#000099]me too
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by akins56(m): 6:50pm On Jul 18, 2015
Somebody should please help me with a sample cv @ akinbode200@hotmail.com
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by collele(m): 7:17pm On Jul 18, 2015
please send to collinsgabriel590@yahoo.com
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by Valthegreat(m): 4:12pm On Jul 19, 2015
pls I will appreciate a sample CV too, help me with one via okparaval@gmail.com Thanks in anticipation
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by Barbiekhadyjarh: 4:33pm On Jul 19, 2015
Please I need a copy send it to, khadijaauwal16@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: How To Write A Persuasive And Compelling Cv So Compelling That Employer Will Beg by drealnamdy(m): 5:45pm On Jul 19, 2015
Me too...drealnamdy@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy For The Position Of Customer Service Interns / Meritabode Nigeria Limited Latest Job Recruitment (3 Positions) / Freelance Music Producer/sound Engineer Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.