Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,262 members, 7,880,987 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:27 AM

MVC Pattern - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / MVC Pattern (2463 Views)

Free Csharp, Mvc, Jquery And More Tutorials Online / Pattern Chaser In Javascript: Coding Challenge / Download Asp.net Mvc 5 Essential Training Video Tutorial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MVC Pattern by logica(m): 10:18am On Oct 29, 2009
Wrong. It is not about ego as I wouldn't even have this conversation in the first place if it was. And it is not about MY code, but more about MY design (architecture).
Re: MVC Pattern by candylips(m): 12:57pm On Oct 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I recently worked on a piece creating custom modules for a web based application and the company has their piece buiilt using classic asp and vbscript. We are talking in the year 2009 , and there are no plans to switch over to asp.net anytime soon.

Legacy systems are very difficult to change. "if its not broken don't fix it"

logica:

Wrong. It is not about ego as I wouldn't even have this conversation in the first place if it was. And it is not about MY code, but more about MY design (architecture).

Logica it is very difficult arguing with a .Net developer about things like this. Their development philosophy is very different from the rest of the industry . . Java, PHP and others.

While the rest of the industry blaze the trail in Software Engineering , patterns and techniques. .Net developers are more concerned about just getting the job done  using most of the tools avaliable to them in the framwork, even when some of the stuff done in the wider software community has been ported to .Net.  An average .Net developer doesn't care about this because Microsoft provide everthing they require for them
Re: MVC Pattern by Kobojunkie: 2:16pm On Oct 29, 2009
candylips:

Legacy systems are very difficult to change. "if its not broken don't fix it"

Logica it is very difficult arguing with a .Net developer about things like this. Their development philosophy is very different from the rest of the industry . . Java, PHP and others.

While the rest of the industry blaze the trail in Software Engineering , patterns and techniques. .Net developers are more concerned about just getting the job done using most of the tools avaliable to them in the framwork, even when some of the stuff done in the wider software community has been ported to .Net. An average .Net developer doesn't care about this because Microsoft provide everthing they require for them

OMG!!! You really believe this is about .NET and your assumption that .NET comes with a MENTALITY!!!! WOW!! That you believe that gooble-de-goop up there makes me realize this is a waste of my time. Sort of like the many arguments on .NET vs Java that most spend their time on. Feel free to continue thinking as you do.
Re: MVC Pattern by candylips(m): 3:54pm On Oct 29, 2009
Kobo it is about you or .Net vs Java.

It's just that  i come against a brick wall anytime i discuss architectural solutions with .Net developers because they always look at issues from the .Net perspective.
Re: MVC Pattern by Kobojunkie: 4:00pm On Oct 29, 2009
Did it ever occur to you that YOUR CHOICE is probably NOT everyone's? Do you really go around thinking that when people, in other areas or who use other programming languages, do not agree with you, it means THEY are the clueless ones? I am sorry but just because I predominantly use .NET DOES NOT mean I do not know what software architecting is about. Don't worry much about my background as I know that the assertion you made of this DESIGN PATTERN is nonsense at best. Design Patterns are more best practices but you could also overdo it with them and that is well known fact. Also, you cannot apply all patterns in all cases, so MVC works where it works but it does not work in ALL cases.

Also does it not occur to you that when you make statements such as the one you did earlier about your dear MVC pattern that it ought to be true APPLY IN ALL CASES(.NET AND NON), or it is probably NOT a VALID assertion?
Re: MVC Pattern by candylips(m): 6:09pm On Oct 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Also does it not occur to you that when you make statements such as the one you did earlier about your dear MVC pattern that it ought to be true APPLY IN ALL CASES(.NET AND NON), or it is probably NOT a VALID assertion?

How about you demonstrating to us as logica suggested (you don't need to write code just describe how you can do this) how you can achieve a clear seperation of concerns in a simple 3 tier web application without using the MVC pattern.

Kobojunkie:

In my work as a contractor,  I have yet to work on a single team where MVC has been used to date, and I am talking of fortune 500 companies.

But you tend to see the shittest code in all these fortune 500 companies. Unmaintanable, hacked, ugly looking code so don't even go about citing them as examples.

Kobojunkie:

I work in .NET world, and even the new ASP.NET MVC framework is still not an industry wide standard considering most shops and software houses are still comfortable working with what they have since it works and is clean and good for them. Are we to assume these companies do not have talented developers on staff then? Are these applications to be considered non-functional simply because no consideration was made for MVC pattern? Again, like every other design pattern out there, it has it's place. It is not FOR ALL development, framework and non.

Ofcouse what do you expect. However the more talented .Net developers will be using the newer more efficient MVC approach and some will even have ported some of the other best practices in the wider developement community for their use which the remaining knuckle heads will wait for big DADDY microsoft to provide in the next version of the framework or stick to the old in-efficient way of doing things
Re: MVC Pattern by logica(m): 6:17pm On Oct 29, 2009
@candylips

The phrase you are looking for is "quick-and-dirty". grin
Re: MVC Pattern by Kobojunkie: 6:30pm On Oct 29, 2009
candylips:

How about you demonstrating to us as logica suggested (you don't need to write code just describe how you can do this) how you can achieve a clear seperation of concerns in a simple 3 tier web application without using the MVC pattern.
Sighs!  . . . . Why 3 tier? Are ALL applications necessarily 3-tiered or more?

candylips:

But you tend to see the shittest code in all these fortune 500 companies. Unmaintanable, hacked, ugly looking code so don't even go about citing them as examples.
But this is NOT ALWAYS the case in ALL fortune 500 companies, let alone small shops.  So many of them actually work hard to ensure that their code is well written, maintained and updated frequently.

candylips:

Ofcouse what do you expect. However the more talented .Net developers will be using the newer more efficient MVC approach and some will even have ported some of the other best practices in the wider developement community for their use which the remaining knuckle heads will wait for big DADDY microsoft to provide in the next version of the framework or stick to the old in-efficient way of doing things
OH For crying out loud!!! I need to stop responding to many of these posts on here. It is my mistake trying to at least get you to see that the world of IT does not revolve around you and your take on design patterns. I apologise for that. Do continue as you will.
Re: MVC Pattern by candylips(m): 6:33pm On Oct 29, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Sighs!  . . . . Why 3 tier? Are ALL applications necessarily 3-tiered or more?

Ok before i answer that can you describe how you will architect a simple web application in such a way that business logic, database access and view dispatcher logic is seperated (not neccessarily 3 tiered . . for your convenience )
Re: MVC Pattern by Ghenghis(m): 8:20pm On Oct 29, 2009
Guys

I've been following your posts and you guys are just short of throwing punches cheesy

I've used both .NET and Java extensively(though i now use mostly Java cause of work).

Design patterns are language agnostic, and we all need them. They are simply good, industry tried techniques for solving common problems.

Yes, some languages tend to shield many developers from thinking patterns, and yes there are more opportunities for java architects than .NET cause MS usually bundle their own brand of best practice into ,say, infrastructure libraries. This is a fact, but i've seen great application of patterns in .NET apps (both from MS and 3rd parties).

Distributed applications can generally be categorized as 2tier or 3tier (same as N-tier). In two tier you have smarter clients driving the server.
In 3 tier you have a middleware driving the server.

MVC or similar patterns that allow separation of concerns for apps is necessary to build complex but maintainable apps (yeah MVC is boring cause its everywhere, but its important) smiley
Re: MVC Pattern by mizbelle: 1:18pm On Oct 31, 2009
any sql programmer can help me with defining the realtiosnhip of these table pls
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-345467.0.html
Re: MVC Pattern by logica(m): 5:02pm On Nov 02, 2009
Re: MVC Pattern by Bossman(m): 12:35am On Nov 05, 2009
Well said. It's very true that patterns that support the separation of concerns are esential to developing complex applications. Just about every where I have worked have used MVC or a variant of it.

Ghenghis:

Guys

I've been following your posts and you guys are just short of throwing punches cheesy

I've used both .NET and Java extensively(though i now use mostly Java cause of work).

Design patterns are language agnostic, and we all need them. They are simply good, industry tried techniques for solving common problems.

Yes, some languages tend to shield many developers from thinking patterns, and yes there are more opportunities for java architects than .NET cause MS usually bundle their own brand of best practice into ,say, infrastructure libraries. This is a fact, but i've seen great application of patterns in .NET apps (both from MS and 3rd parties).

Distributed applications can generally be categorized as 2tier or 3tier (same as N-tier). In two tier you have smarter clients driving the server.
In 3 tier you have a middleware driving the server.

MVC or similar patterns that allow separation of concerns for apps is necessary to build complex but maintainable apps (yeah MVC is boring cause its everywhere, but its important) smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should You Study Computer Science To Learn How To Code? / Final Year Project Topic In Mechanical Software Application / I Need Help On Oop Project Using C# Console-base Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.