Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,960 members, 7,973,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 01:58 PM

Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! (17442 Views)

Why Most Men Do Not Want Their Wives To Work / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey / Worst Place You Have Ever Worked And Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by MRD1(m): 6:59pm On Mar 12, 2009
@Topic , I have lived and worked in lagos for several years and still intend to return to it because the options are not many in Nigeria.
but the question is, must one live life in that way,spending many hours of travel time every day,with the risk of being robbed or maimed amidst so many other issues that go with living and working in Lagos?

What do we do to leave a better environment for our children.?

What CNN has reported is fact, pple lets think positively!
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by denony(m): 7:00pm On Mar 12, 2009
Lagos, a place to better your condition, if you have IQ.
They are striking to come here and chop our money, yet they talk bulshit about us.
Who cares? angry
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Pittbaby(f): 8:17pm On Mar 12, 2009
Interesting how a country that is not at war is one of the most dangerous places to work , I think this is just band wagon mentality . I know an European who worked there for 30 years , died and was buried here , he refused to leave.

Nigeria is an emerging economy , of course doing business there will be tough , but they are here because they can not get the return on capital they get there in any developed economy , if they dont like it they should leave.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by loma(m): 8:40pm On Mar 12, 2009
Do not mind these guys. The guy interviewed in that clip is Ronald Ebelt. He used to be our Country Manager at P&G until he was removed. He refused to leave Nigeria and went to work for Reckitt& B. Then he moved on to Nigerian Bottlers, yet he complains about Lagos.

Na by force?
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Keegan: 9:00pm On Mar 12, 2009
We are all bunches of hypocrites, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to bullshit anyone, the report was correct at least to some extent. Surely, Lagos can not be the WORST PLACE to work, but maybe one of the worst.

We are no lover of TRUTH, simple. We are a proud people, we hate criticism, and we don’t like anyone to point out our faults in which we all are a witness to. Although it’s nobody’s business but we are the one bearing the brunt.

So as far as many Lagosians believe LAGOS IS THE BEST PLACE TO WORK, abi no be so?[/b]

Yeah, it’s nice to be positive but serious works need to be done not just talk-talk.

So, kudos to our able governor, BRF and his team who are working tirelessly day and night to see our aspiration comes true, Eko ko ni baje oo [b]
, if we contribute our P-O-S-I-T-I-V-E quota.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by mac07: 10:17pm On Mar 12, 2009
This CNN people are a big fraud. If you closely look at the video you find out that is not even Nigeria. Look at the car plates
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by ikeyman00(m): 10:57pm On Mar 12, 2009
rubbish!!

which kind truth?

abeg fixed ur roads and get the traffic movin

clean up ur environment i mean all that stagnat still lake

etc

now what next!

beleive what u want laos aint that bad

just do ur basic home work above!
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Treetop20(m): 10:59pm On Mar 12, 2009
ikeyman00:

rubbish!!

which kind truth?

abeg fixed ur roads and get the traffic movin

clean up ur environment i mean all that stagnat still lake

etc

now what next!

beleive what u want laos aint that bad

just do ur basic home work above!
only if one can understand the "basic homework"
that you have listed on there.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Bobjoe3(m): 11:13pm On Mar 12, 2009
Nnnooo Mmind Them! The one wey them show me for Accra 3 months ago don teach me lesson -- NO WORK!!! angry
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Kc0022000(m): 11:21pm On Mar 12, 2009
I agree with CNN , Lagos is the worst place to work but not on earth. Lagos can still do better l think. Lagos lack everything a city should have so working there would be hell.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by AjanleKoko: 11:25pm On Mar 12, 2009
This is a nonsense story jare.
We have issues, but most of the world has their own peculiar issues.
Right now the worst places in the world to live and work are basically Pakistan and North Korea. I guess CNN is tired of writing about those locations.
I read an issue of Vanity Fair last year that focused on Pakistan, and, man, I was scared for people o. That place is a literal time bomb!
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by rite2salas(m): 11:38pm On Mar 12, 2009
The report is so pathetic and fake! im pissed off, where the hell is bangladesh, mogadishu, addis ababa and all other war infested cities? angry

fork CNN,  angry
Lagos Rocks! cheesy
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by DoubleN(m): 11:49pm On Mar 12, 2009
Eko for sure.Chaos unparalled!
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Gnexplore: 1:25am On Mar 13, 2009
EVERY COUNTRY (CITY) IS UNDER PRESSURE, SO OYIBE SPARE LAGOS PLEASE

One in 50 US kids is homeless: report

WASHINGTON (AFP) — One in 50 American children is homeless and the economic crisis hitting the United States will make the problem worse, a report released Tuesday said.
"Without a voice, more than 1.5 million of our nation's children go to sleep without a home each year," said the "America's Young Outcasts" report by the National Center on Family Homelessness.

The child homelessness crisis is the worst since the Great Depression, says the report, which looked at the years 2005-06 -- or before the economic slump had fully hit the United States.

Children without homes are twice as likely to go hungry, more than twice as likely as middle class children to have health problems, and run twice the risk of other children of repeating a grade at school, being expelled or suspended, or not finishing high school, the report said.
"At least 25 percent have witnessed violence, and 22 percent have been separated from their families," the report says of homeless children.

"About half of all school-age children experiencing homelessness have problems with anxiety and depression, and 20 percent of homeless preschoolers
have emotional problems that require professional care," it said.

The report looked only at homeless families with children under the age of 18. Runaways were not included in the statistics, even if some are minors.
"It is unacceptable for one child in the United States to be homeless for even one day," it said, slamming the US government and media for ignoring the plight of homeless children while doling out huge sums of money to help "grossly overpaid bankers, captains of industry and carmakers" in 2008.
"What does it say about our country that we are willing to bail out banks but not our smallest most vulnerable citizens?" the report asked.

The economic slump which hit the United States last year "will surely add to the legions of children who are homeless," and failure to act against child homelessness would have consequences that will play out for years.
"It is virtually impossible to reclaim the life of a child who has spent his childhood without a home," warned the report.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5huA-EXrZ3xKk-hyZZUt200oTAqXQ
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by damola1: 1:31am On Mar 13, 2009
Rubbish!

Their father!,

Lagos is Nigeria, I LOVE LAGOS!!!, Our Gov. is the best!!!!, our environment is improving,

But I think this rubbish need stop, our commission for information should take this up with CNN and prove them wrong, else this is how they'll start another useless talk, this useless critics, just only know how to ruin things,

Thats how they'll say, Nigeria is the most corrupt, and everyone will go on believe, and Nigeria is this and that, as if America ain't shit, and the people killed and rape with guns don't happen every minute,

Crappy Hukpish rubbish, Lagos is the best city in the world, Gbao!
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by damola1: 1:33am On Mar 13, 2009
In fact, our Govt. especially Lagos state govt. should not only prove them wrong, but also consider suing them,

How can all our banks flash dem with money, only for them to go back and bad mouth us, or have they forgotten all that money from zenith, intercontinental , uba, most of it is made from their worst cities,

They are nuts!
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by jmslimx(m): 5:37am On Mar 13, 2009
Dont mind those jokers or mumu i go call them, okay check out the madoff scam after they say Nigerians are involved in scam activity. Men sometimes this people just give us bad names without no consideration. e dey vex me
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Otherwise: 6:54am On Mar 13, 2009
It is obvious that people don't accept the truth because it concerned them, now what would make one not to believe that Lagos in did is Worst Place To Work or one of them, they did not say so because it is Lagos but because it is true, imagine what one that lives in one end of Lagos and work on the other ends faces every day, the smokes, dusts, heats, rush both for bus and nothing, bad air, hours of hold-ups, noise, fights, disrespects, quarries, distrust, smelling-Goleta's, wastes all over, even dead body's, shits, at night? mosquito's, thief's, etc. think of it, some don't even see their children's, have to leave as early as 3 or 4 am to avoid hold-ups and some time get caught up by thief's or ritualise, to come back is another story, I mean, truth is bitter but bitter medicines works effectively, he who tell you the truth mean it good for you only if you can see it, let me tell you how cities that sell oils like we do looks like: Doha, Dubai, Riyadh, Caracas, Kuwait and so on, by populations( Human Power )? Tokyo, Beijing, Rio, Berlin, Seoul and so on, stop this madness of suffering and smiling because it is already dyeing and smiling and it encourages those whom you praise for cheating and ask you to answer we and amen.
the report is for worst place to work, not worst people we are not but those who asked us to say we and amen for nothing are.

Why-me-why-not-me.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by otukpo(f): 7:44am On Mar 13, 2009
Lagos is a very crazy city. I dont know of Outside Nigeria, but in Nigeria, Lagos is the worst place to work.
Talk of the stress of being in traffic for hours, some pple leave their home 4 am to work just to beat traffic. Some places in Lagos, when it rains, u better get a canoe to get to ur office.
The research is not talking about the city with job opportunities, but place to work. Assuming u have the job, and u are to work in Lagos or Abuja or Calabar, or Jos or Enugu or any other big city in Nigera, which place is better?
The rich does not escape the crazy and undue stress in Lagos, the traffic is hooks u whether u're rich or poor. So what are we talking about.
Enough of the sentiment about Lagos.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by webprince(m): 8:30am On Mar 13, 2009
My question is, y will this so-called expatriates come down here and enjoy their life 2 d fullest, then in their reports U will never see VI, Ikoyi, Ikeja, and all d other nice places in their reports. U will only see d worst places. What are they trying 2 say?
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by mayrho(m): 8:36am On Mar 13, 2009
CNN?!!! what else can they say negativity always about africa and africans when something bad happens in africa, they blow it up remember the bridge that crashed they didn't make it loud, like they would have if it was africa the trend goes on and on.
Check all major events like that they just brush it aside.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by GoldCircle: 9:07am On Mar 13, 2009
For those of us that agree with this 'story' with our whole heart, which other country have you worked and by what standards do you agree with this report??
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by oluwdashmi(f): 9:09am On Mar 13, 2009
For those of us that agree with this 'story' with our whole heart, which other country have you worked and by what standards do you agree with this report??
@ goldcircle
Right question.

Let them say what they like, after coming here to enjoy their life they go back to say all sort of a shit, anyway thats their prob.

If Lagos is the worst place to work on earth, they should stay in their best cities and work. No matter how we try, they will never say anything good about Africa.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Ifygurl: 9:17am On Mar 13, 2009
Haha. CNN

I was wondering when they are going to bring out a new article about Nigeria. Oya, so they have moved from Nigeri-delta, the north and now to Lagos.
Abi, wetin you're people dey do in Lagos, na by force. The guy in the video claims he lived in Nigeria/lagos for 8 years, if Lagos is so bad, make them waka and go.
As if traffic, people, etc in New yourk is higher than that of Lagos. Abi, waka go. If it's so bad, then lets pack all of them in Victoria Island and other parts of Lagos and send them back to their hometown.
CNN, one of the worst news televison on earth, alongside BBC and Nigerian news article.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Otherwise: 9:35am On Mar 13, 2009
sentiment is a disease, it makes you some time not to judge uprightly, I remember when it was always in the news in Lagos that when one has a car accident he or she will be taking to cicatrice then I asked he or she the drive and the minister that build road without road signs and others who has to see the dear cica?, no sentiment rather remind people of their responsibilities it helps.  

Why-me-why-not-me
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by samieadams(m): 9:45am On Mar 13, 2009
Why lagos no go dey the list atleast we try i nor know whether dem dey do business for zimbabwe make somebody confirm am 4 me abey. CNN just dey bias nor mind them jare
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by AjanleKoko: 9:51am On Mar 13, 2009
Otherwise:

It is obvious that people don't accept the truth because it concerned them, now what would make one not to believe that Lagos in did is Worst Place To Work or one of them, they did not say so because it is Lagos but because it is true, imagine what one that lives in one end of Lagos and work on the other ends faces every day, the smokes, dusts, heats, rush both for bus and nothing, bad air, hours of hold-ups, noise, fights, disrespects, quarries, distrust, smelling-Goleta's, wastes all over, even dead body's, shits, at night? mosquito's, thief's, etc. think of it, some don't even see their children's, have to leave as early as 3 or 4 am to avoid hold-ups and some time get caught up by thief's or ritualise, to come back is another story, I mean, truth is bitter but bitter medicines works effectively, he who tell you the truth mean it good for you only if you can see it, let me tell you how cities that sell oils like we do looks like: Doha, Dubai, Riyadh, Caracas, Kuwait and so on, by populations( Human Power )? Tokyo, Beijing, Rio, Berlin, Seoul and so on, stop this madness of suffering and smiling because it is already dyeing and smiling and it encourages those whom you praise for cheating and ask you to answer we and amen.
the report is for worst place to work, not worst people we are not but those who asked us to say we and amen for nothing are.

Why-me-why-not-me.

Fair enough. I do agree we must learn from what people are saying about us.
I've had the opportunity to visit a number of African cities, namely: Accra, Ouagadogou, Cotonou, Kinshasha (DRC), Kampala (UG), Lusaka (Zamiba), even cities in Morroco and SA. In Kinshaha, there are even no roads. If you want to move from a distance of, say, VI, to a place like Surulere, you have to hire a chopper. The roads are shot to hell by the various shellings from numerous wars. In fact, I make bold to say that we probably have the most extensive (albeit decrepit) road network in sub-saharan African, from what I've seen.
My own is this: why pick on Nigeria all the time? Lagos has its problems, but thank God we even have a governor that's trying to solve them. While they talk about Doha, Dubai, Riyadh, Caracas, Kuwait, Tokyo, London, and NY, you should not forget to mention Kabul, Karachi, Kolkatta, Kinshasha, Kampala, Pyongyang, Islamabad, etc as well. I'm sure those cities would have much more challenges than li'l ole Lagos!
Peace.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Keegan: 10:27am On Mar 13, 2009
Gnexplore:

EVERY COUNTRY (CITY) IS UNDER PRESSURE, SO OYIBE SPARE LAGOS PLEASE

One in 50 US kids is homeless: report

It is what you do after a disaster that gives it a meaning. No one is saying other places on earth especially the West is paradise without flaws, but the rapid approach of their government in correcting societal flaws and making life easier to live are what attracted most of us, give it a year or two the 1 in 50 would have improve to 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000, here we don’t even have basic statistics of anything talk less knowing where we belong.

If you do not know let's show you. Just last December  my in-law lost over N5m due to port congestion I mean LAGOS PORT on a consignment of goods from the Orient which had arrived the port since August when a $ was N118, he was just lucky to get it cleared only last month.

It is a nice thing to be patriotic but it a serious case not to be able to read between the lines.

Imagine some people comparing Lagos to Mogadishu, we need to be counted among the best not other way round, we are not where we suppose to have been my dear, when people are talking about the World we suppose to claim a respectable position with all the human and natural resources we are blessed with, but reverse is the case. So what do we do? We need to brace up and work together and make our worst to become best, it’s just a matter of trying.

Late Fela was quite correct when he sang “Suffering & Smiling” released in 1978 and relevant in 2009, please by this time next year lets prove Abami Eda wrong, its require collective action base on one condition that we are ready to work together to save Lagos in particular and Nigeria in general.

So help us GOD.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Keegan: 10:32am On Mar 13, 2009
It is what you do after a disaster that gives it a meaning. No one is saying other places on earth especially the West is paradise without flaws, but the rapid approach of their government in correcting societal flaws and making life easier to live are what attracted most of us, give it a year or two the 1 in 50 would have improve to 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000, here we don’t even have basic statistics of anything talk less knowing where we belong.

If you do not know let's show you. Just last December my in-law lost over N5m due to port congestion I mean LAGOS PORT on a consignment of goods from the Orient which had arrived the port since August when a $ was N118, he was just lucky to get it cleared only last month.

It is a nice thing to be patriotic but it a serious case not to be able to read between the lines.

Imagine some people comparing Lagos to Mogadishu, we need to be counted among the best not other way round, we are not where we suppose to have been my dear, when people are talking about the World we suppose to claim a respectable position with all the human and natural resources we are blessed with, but reverse is the case. So what do we do? We need to brace up and work together and make our worst to become best, it’s just a matter of trying.

Late Fela was quite correct when he sang “Suffering & Smiling” released in 1978 and relevant in 2009, please by this time next year lets prove Abami Eda wrong, its require collective action base on one condition that we are ready to work together to save Lagos in particular and Nigeria in general.

So help us GOD.
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by angel72(f): 10:45am On Mar 13, 2009
Hi

here the link to the video on CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/living/2009/03/11/stevens.hk.worst.places.to.work.cnn

I wrote a similair topic about this a few days ago. The link to that topic is:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-246244.0.html
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by UGOBASKY(m): 10:54am On Mar 13, 2009
Lagos may be a difficult city to live in, but it is light years ahead of Baghdad, Karachi and also some cities in latin america
Re: Lagos Is Worst Place To Work! by Otherwise: 11:01am On Mar 13, 2009
[table][td][table][tr][td][td]Fair enough. I do agree we must learn from what people are saying about us.
I've had the opportunity to visit a number of African cities, namely: Accra, Ouagadogou, Cotonou, Kinshasha (DRC), Kampala (UG), Lusaka (Zamiba), even cities in Morroco and SA. In Kinshaha, there are even no roads. If you want to move from a distance of, say, VI, to a place like Surulere, you have to hire a chopper. The roads are shot to hell by the various shellings from numerous wars. In fact, I make bold to say that we probably have the most extensive (albeit decrepit) road network in sub-saharan African, from what I've seen.
My own is this: why pick on Nigeria all the time? Lagos has its problems, but thank God we even have a governor that's trying to solve them. While they talk about Doha, Dubai, Riyadh, Caracas, Kuwait, Tokyo, London, and NY, you should not forget to mention Kabul, Karachi, Kolkatta, Kinshasha, Kampala, Pyongyang, Islamabad, etc as well. I'm sure those cities would have much more challenges than li'l ole Lagos!
Peace

[/td][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/table]

Now asked your self who had had the opportunity to travel to the above African nations which one has the kind of wealth's that Nigeria has, DRC, you have said it, ravished with war so it doesn't count, by population non, come on any one who has no shame can't face challenges, I was ashamed to hear you call SA this was a nation Nigeria follows decide what happen there before today Nigerians choose to die to go there also Ghana and others, I do not mention Kabul, Karachi, Kolkatta, Kinshasha, Kampala, Pyongyang, Islamabad because I know by right my nations cities not just Lagos should by all mix greater than them if not because of the reasons we are discussing or maybe you want your cities to be so however not me that's why one should avoid sentiments and look into the facts, don't forget must of those African nations you mention was looking after Nigeria as many western worlds use to look at America, my dear build your home is not a cause, again I did not mention London and NY because I know you are going to use it as an excuses, so those I mention and Lagos supposed to be the same class if Lagos not been greater by right, some say, we are trying maybe nest time I will tell you how where people try use to be.      

I hope your Governors has told you how much they have borrowed from international communities without your concepts which if not you your children's will pay, so what happens to our own oil money? do ask questions not just We and Amen. why been part of your problems by prepraises. you don hear say suffering and smelling don turn to dying and still smelling. love bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Right Or Wrong For The Trainee To Kneel Before Collecting Her Certificate? / Voice Of America Sacks 15 Hausa Employees In A Nigeria Bribery Scandal / Your Experience With Female Bosses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.