Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,217 members, 7,887,586 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:58 AM

GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. (2330 Views)

President Buhari Not Nigeria’s First Leader At Blair House - The FCT Post / Blair House: Buhari's Official Accommodation During His Visit To The US (photo) / Obama To Host Buhari At Blair House For Three Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 20, 2015
Ok. It seems that being hosted at Blair House is more of a norm with visiting presidents so why the hype?

Is it that APC is grasping at any straw to create celebrity and aura around Buhari or is it that we lap up every courtesy given to us in White countries like it is validation?

This is a Sahara Reporters article from 2010.

Dateline Washington, D.C.:Jonathan Meets Obama at Blair House

Nigeria's Acting president, Goodluck E. Jonathan, met this evening with US president Obama at the Blair House, which serves as President Obama’s Guest House a few meters across from the White House.
Mr. Jonathan was accompanied to the meeting by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Odein Ajumogobia, the Ambassador to the United States, Ade Adefuye, and Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Joy Ogwu.

Saharareporters learnt that Jonathan was not accompanied by any of the state governors because the governors could not agree among themselves as to which of them would join the “Acting President” to meet with Obama.

There were also some hitches because Nigerian embassy officials in Washington DC did not send the names of some Jonathan aides and their photos on time to enable them get clearance to enter the venue of the meeting.

The meeting with Obama, which was scheduled as a courtesy call, lasted 15 minutes, after which Jonathan met with US State Department officials. He then retired to his hotel, The Westin Grand, in Washington D.C.

Obama’s meeting with Jonathan was his first with any Nigerian leader since coming to office in January 2009. Today, in addition to meeting Jonathan, President Obama also met India Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Jacob Zuma of South Africa, and Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani of Pakistan.

{joomplu:1895}{joomplu:1896}{joomplu:1897}{joomplu:1899}{joomplu:1900}

Press Release from Jonathan's office:Acting President Jonathan Meets President Obama, pledges Nigeria’s commitment to Bi-National Forum

The Acting President, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has pledged Nigeria’s commitment to a successful implementation of the recently signed Bi National Agreement between Nigeria and the United States.

He stated this Sunday during bilateral discussions with US President Barack Obama at the Blair House, Washington DC.

Dr. Jonathan expressed optimism that the working group created by the Commission would contribute towards actualizing the objectives of Nigeria’s Vision 20: 2020. While stating Nigeria’s commitment to electoral reforms and the fight against corruption, he pledged support for a nuclear free world, emphasising Nigeria’s opposition to nuclear proliferation.

The Acting President also thanked President Obama for America’s solidarity and support for Nigeria during the period of uncertainty occasioned by the President Yar’Adua’s illness.

Welcoming President Jonathan to Blair House and thanking him for accepting the invitation to attend the Nuclear Security Summit, the American President commended Dr. Jonathan for his leadership and the manner in which he stabilized Nigeria’s political situation.

According to him, America sees Nigeria as a very strategic country in Africa and the Obama Administration would like to see Nigeria conduct a free and fair election, tackle corruption and deal with internal religious violence.

“America would like to work with Nigeria to ensure a politically stable environment which would make Nigeria a good example to other African countries,” he said.

President Obama commented on the Iran’s nuclear programme, and said he looked forward to Nigeria’s support in ensuring the non proliferation of nuclear weapons in the world.

The Acting President was accompanied by the Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, Odein Ajumogobia, the Permanent Secretary, Martins Uhomoidhi, and Nigeria’s Ambassador to United States, Prof. Ade Adefuye. Also in attendance were US Secretary of State, Hilary Clinton; Senior Adviser to the President on Africa, Michelle Gavin, and America’s Ambassador to Nigeria, Robin Sanders.

Ima Niboro

SSA Media and Publicity to the Acting President

11th April, 2010.

http://saharareporters.com/2010/04/11/dateline-washington-dcjonathan-meets-obama-blair-house#.VazzzzrCmeY.facebook
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Fixation: 4:16pm On Jul 20, 2015
hmmm.. lalasticlala come
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by millhouse: 4:21pm On Jul 20, 2015
The blair house stay was one of pmb campaign promises I guess

6 Likes

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Dannyset(m): 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2015
What do we really stand to gain in all these Blair House tussles? Is it going to automatically give all the youths that want to venture into Agriculture an interest free loan? or what sef?
Make una talk better thing or close mouth forever!

5 Likes

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2015

This is getting ridiculous. Who cares if GEJ or PMB dressed like a hobo and slept in Times Square. undecided

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by MKO4ever(m): 4:23pm On Jul 20, 2015
Ok, congratulations to him
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by PassingShot(m): 4:23pm On Jul 20, 2015
What's with all this pettiness for God's sake?

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by mrmetoo1: 4:24pm On Jul 20, 2015
15 minutes courtesy call vs Buhari being a guest in Blair house. Buhari actually staying there for days and not in some hotel room in D.C. I think that's what people are talking about here, not that no one has stepped foot in Blair house

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by UnknownT: 4:25pm On Jul 20, 2015
The report said Buhari will stay in the Blair house unlike other past heads of state that stayed in hotels on state visits to the US. US president can entertain his guests there, but the question is "Is Buhari the first Nigerian President to stay/sleep over in the Blair house?"

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Gogetta(m): 4:26pm On Jul 20, 2015
He met. Pres. Obama @ Blair house but did not sleep over there. PMB will be staying there for the duration of his visit.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 20, 2015
mrmetoo1:
15 minutes courtesy call vs Buhari being a guest in Blair house. Buhari actually staying there for data and not in some hotel room in D.C. I think that's what people are talking about here, not that no one has stepped foot in Blair house

Ok I see. But even at that what is still so special? Many leaders either visit or stay there as it is a designated guest area for visitors.

That you are sleeping there is a cause to celebrate now?
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by mrmetoo1: 4:36pm On Jul 20, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

Ok I see. But even at that what is still so special? Many leaders either visit or stay there as it is a designated guest area for visitors.

I think this Blair house thing has been over discussed but I don't think we should downplay its significance. I celebrate the US treating us as partners, as guests and not as beggars. Yes several leaders have stayed there but the fact is, a Nigerian leader hasn't stayed there since Tafawa Balewa. It won't be a surprise or a big deal if the PM of Britain goes to the US and stays there because we know they have a guest/partner relationship. It's a symbolic gesture, it's a good start.

The real celebration/test however, comes after we know the extent of America's commitment in partnering with us. If we can get out of this visit maintaining our guest/partner status I'll be happy.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Shortyy(f): 4:37pm On Jul 20, 2015
He hasn't been out of his ranch all his life. So going out of Nigeria is like a new thing to him and his worshippers.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by eph12(m): 4:42pm On Jul 20, 2015
What is all these? It's becoming irritating. What has Blair house got to do with development of our country? You guys should just stop.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by melzabull(f): 4:53pm On Jul 20, 2015
Gogetta:
He met. Pres. Obama @ Blair house but did not sleep over there. PMB will be staying there for the duration of his visit.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by hinwazaka: 5:21pm On Jul 20, 2015
hinwazaka:
This is a reminder for all the fans of our new found partnership with Obama's America
Obama's greatest hits
* The stimulus didn't stimulate
Obama was elected in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis and his first big act in office was to sign a gargantuan package of stimulus spending financed entirely with debt that was supposed to jump start the economy. After congress voted it into law, the money which was meant for shovel ready projects failed to yield fruit
* Obamacare brouhaha
When obama care was passed people were assured it would provide insurance for 32 million people who didn't have coverage. Years on it has covered far fewer people than expected, a poor number between 10% and 20% of what was promised
* Lack of a realistic immigration policy
He failed to draft a realistic immigration plan and only ended up annoying the right, left and centre
* The fall of the Iraq quest
He was so determined to shore up Goodwill he prematurely withdrew their forces, and completely ignored the terrorist threat which was emerging. The price of that mistake was the establishment of ISIS
* The joke of the Arab spring
After the Arab toppling of long time dictators, Obama refused to act fast and stagnated on Egypt with the result of everyone in Egypt now hating him and the military dictator now aligning with Russia in a show of insult to America
* He has made America irrelevant
Due to his lethargic and indecisive nature he has thrown the global respect for America out of the window
Let's not forget the Benghazi issue, the downplaying of Boko Haram, the Russia/ Ukraine issue, the Syrian/US congress- US executive standoff and also the historical congress lockdown . Its quite obvious that both Obama and Buhari have a lot in common and so this is a marriage made in heaven. Happy married life to the couple
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Ralphlauren(m): 5:25pm On Jul 20, 2015
PassingShot:
What's with all this pettiness for God's sake?

The problem is that the TANOIDS aka wailing wailers are yet to come to terms with the reality that GEJ can NEVER return back to Aso Rock as Nigeria's president.

As soon as they realise that GEJ belongs to the dirtiest page of Nigeria's history books, they will move on and stop talking about him.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by luvmijeje(f): 5:31pm On Jul 20, 2015
grin grin grin Tanists and their wahala. In all honesty, this is the first time that I'm seeing the white house going all out to host Nigeria.

It makes me feel good.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by eagleeye2: 5:39pm On Jul 20, 2015
CHANGE APC style.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Orjioorji(f): 5:42pm On Jul 20, 2015
luvmijeje:
grin grin grin Tanists and their wahala. In all honesty, this is the first time that I'm seeing the white house going all out to host Nigeria.

It makes me feel good.
Inferiority complex, you need to visit a psychologist.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by eagleeye2: 5:44pm On Jul 20, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

CHAI..... I still remember "Even if we see Buhari and Tinubu stealing from CBN we will still vote him"......... I will prefer to be A Wailing Wailer (whatever that means) than to be A gullible Nigerian chanting Change everywhere while nothing changes.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Beremx(f): 5:49pm On Jul 20, 2015
Seems these wailing TANoids want another round of debate from me. grin

Make una no make me vex o!

1 Like

Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by luvmijeje(f): 5:50pm On Jul 20, 2015
Orjioorji:
Inferiority complex, you need to visit a psychologist.

I know you guys will accuse me of it. But it feels good to be respected. It feels good for your country to be honour the right way.

I don't call it inferiority complex...... It's called patriotism.......
It's called pride in one's country.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by arewafederation: 5:55pm On Jul 20, 2015
Why should they accomodate GMB in Blair House?

I don't trust these oyinbos.....I suspect a ploy to kidnap our president and replace him with a double. sad angry

Let's all watch and observe our president after the visit. grin

cc: GenBuhari grin grin grin
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by Beremx(f): 6:04pm On Jul 20, 2015
arewafederation:
Why should they accomodate GMB in Blair House?

I don't trust these oyinbos.....I suspect a ploy to kidnap our president and replace him with a double. sad angry

Let's all watch and observe our president after the visit. grin

cc: GenBuhari grin grin grin

Worksmart is his new moniker actually. Fear no go gree am use GenBuhari moniker again. The fool is living in delusions.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by betty202020(m): 6:07pm On Jul 20, 2015
UnknownT:
The report said Buhari will stay in the Blair house unlike other past heads of state that stayed in hotels on state visits to the US. US president can entertain his guests there, but the question is "Is Buhari the first Nigerian President to stay/sleep over in the Blair house?"
and buhari's sleeping in Blair's house stops investors from Loosing more than #1trn since he became President? Obama pls teach him economics & security studies and its application too.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by aresa: 6:17pm On Jul 20, 2015
The meeting with Obama, which was scheduled as a courtesy call, lasted 15 minutes, after which Jonathan met with US State Department officials. He then retired to his hotel, The Westin Grand, in Washington D.C.

TanNOIDS, no be by force now grin
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by richidinho(m): 6:42pm On Jul 20, 2015
UnknownT:

The question should be "is that one of his campaign promises?"

Mumu
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by vedaxcool(m): 6:45pm On Jul 20, 2015
Pdp has sunkeb to a soft sell rumour magazine with nothing enviable to offer.
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by UnknownT: 8:11pm On Jul 20, 2015
richidinho:

The question should be "is that one of his campaign promises?"

Mumu

I hope by the MUMU, you were taking a swipe at Buhari and not me?
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by richidinho(m): 8:13pm On Jul 20, 2015
UnknownT:
I hope by the MUMU, you were taking a swipe at Buhari and not me?

Na u wey dey celebrate such feat
Re: GEJ Was At Blair House In 2010. See Sahara Reporters Excerpt. by richidinho(m): 8:17pm On Jul 20, 2015
Beremx:
Seems these wailing TANoids want another round of debate from me. grin

Make una no make me vex o!

U don come hia again

Ur mumu comment "prime minister is junior to president" never end ooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Caption This Photo Of Saraki & His Rival Senator Ahmed Lawan / Why Sw Is Not Ready To Plant Cocoa Anytime Soon / Buhari Reportedly Storms Out Of Meeting With Chibok Parents - Lindaikeji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.