Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,363 members, 7,910,851 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 06:15 PM

Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President (2824 Views)

See How Ahmadu Bello Greeted Queen Elizabeth On Her Visit 2 Nigeria In 1956(pic / Why Is Buhari Always Telling Nigerian's In Diaspora To Stay Where They Are!!!! / Oshiomhole’s Mother: I Advised My Son To Marry A Foreigner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by superman(m): 10:12pm On Oct 02, 2006
love the land wey my brother seun owns! na waa ooo! yet these are the people talkin about nigeria and aso rock! u say obsanjo na yeye now i see more yeye brothers in here! anyhow we get there. keep lookin for ur oyibo coach for super eagle now na president hey they don wound me oooo! wey zebuludaya and grengori dey uka madam karlnius oya make we take over aso rock from the incoming yeye they advocate for!
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Odeku(m): 11:00pm On Oct 02, 2006
igbo kwenu?
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by shango(m): 5:50am On Oct 03, 2006
Being Educated in the west doesnt mean you know how to govern. Look at GW Bush Jr. Went to the finest College in the land and he is running this country to the ground in many respects, foreign relations and civil liberties. Under his watch people are getting snatched off the street and tortured, habeas corpus has been suspended and he has increased executive power to almost the point of a monarch thanks to a latchkey congress. And less we forget lobbyists like Abramoff and the corruption and ties to the Bush admin and members of the Republican party in congress.

So no, being in Diaspora doesnt mean you know how to govern. A leader does not need to be technologically inclinded or be an economists. He needs to be a freaking LEADER. Look at Chavez in Venezuela, an uneducated man that has decreased poverty my 50% in his country, upped the number of people with healthcare, and is helping his fellow latin neighbors offset their debt to the IMF and other scam world trade organizations and financial institutions. He didnt need a fucking college degree to do that shit, he just has his heart in the right place.

All you so called Diaspora Nigerians (of which I am one) looking down on our fellow Motherland Nigerians are surely an ignorant bunch. You think getting a degree in governnment or engineering or science entitles you to some knowledge on running a country? Look at all the college grads that where appointed positions in Iraq to revive the stock market, or restore public waterworks after the Iraqi invasion, they all failed miserably because they where out of their element. You clowns need to educate yourself more on the world around you, knowledge doesnt just come from a college education.
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by dblock(m): 7:03am On Oct 03, 2006
precisely and it's also wise to highlight that a huge amount of Nigeria's past leader and icluding the current president OBJ studied abroad at one point or another
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Odeku(m): 1:24pm On Oct 03, 2006
studying abroad for 1 year is not the same as living abroad for over 20 years, and GW BUSH wasn't that bright in school
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Aggressa(m): 4:31pm On Oct 03, 2006
Dear All contributors,
I hope sooner or later people will realize that the term 'Nigerian in Diaspora' is actually a derogatory term by which a group of people will be proud to be identified by. I am a Nigerian professional living abroad and I disagree that Nigeria needs somebody who must have been resident aboad to come and rule; somebody said he/she has been exposed to modern environment etc. Believe me, the best person to rule Nigeria must be a honest matured person, resident in Nigeria, conversant with all the political and economic issues of the country. Most of us living abroad usually think we have solutions to all the problem of the country because we 'think we've been in places where things work'. That is a big lie, nobody can make any headway in Nigeria without the understanding and support of the Nigerian peoples at home. Nigerian professionals abroad can only make any in-road to help in developing the country by actively collaborating with the professioanls who are based at home, through transfer ot technology, knowledge and expertise, rather than we adopt a king of I-can-do-it-all like Okonjo Iweala and Oby Ezekwesili or whatever is her name.
Many of Nigerian abroad have actually adopted the 'diaspora' mentality, which is a mentality that does not understand nor want to associate with his or her country of origin. The word 'Diaspora' originated from when the Jews were taken in captivity in Babylon with resulting change of culture, mentality etc etc. Many of us are like that, prefering our kids not been able to speak our local language because it is 'status symbol', thinking everything Nigeria is bad and everything 'oyinbo' is goodetc.
Have you seen Asians and Chinese people living i UK or US, most of them rather than call themselves Diasporans will rathenr prefer to be identified by their root e.g I am British of Pakistani origin, definitely not a Nigerian, prefering the derogatory term Nigerians in Diaspora.
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Chxta(m): 4:41pm On Oct 03, 2006
You should come out of the Religion forum. We need minds like you here. Excellent post.
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Odeku(m): 4:51pm On Oct 03, 2006
Havila good point must I must disagree with you on some terms, how is the name diaspora different from African American? and to say some of us preffer for out children not to speak out native language is so incorrect, most of the Nigerians In Chicago born in the state actually do speak fluently like you will not believe, but i still see your point in having a president that is familiar with the issues in Nigeria, but is it possible to have a credible, honest politician in Nigeria? look at the governors, local government council men all mismanaging funds, could you attribute this to lack of exposure and education? or is it just mere greed?
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by waffistyle(m): 9:15pm On Oct 03, 2006
A Nigerian in diaspora can't just lead like that, he must be tested first with smaller responsibilities, not starting as President, and he can't win, you ve to have a grip of the grassroot, i completely don't agree, if a nIGERIAN IN DIASPORA LOVES HIS COUNTRY WELL, HE WOULD COME BACK HOME, TO TRY TO CHANGE THINGS GRADUALLY, HE CAN START FROM BEING A LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMAN OR EVEN A STATE GOVERNOR, THAT WAY WE WOULD KNOW HIM, AND HE WOULD SUCCESSFULLY, BLEND WELL WITH HIS PEOPLE, THE JOB OF PRESIDENT NO BE MOI MOI O!
FOR NOW DONALD DUKE IS THE ANSWER, I DONT KNOW THIS MAN DUKE, I JUST HAVE SEEN AND HEARD OF HIS GOOD WORKS, THE MAN WILL TAKE NIGERIA TO A GREAT HEIGHT, PLEASE LET S BEG THIS MAN DUKE TO SERVE US AS OUR PRESIDENT, THE MAN TO MUCH,
PLEASE MR. DUKE BE MY PRESIDENT, I BEG YOU
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by superman(m): 9:30pm On Oct 03, 2006
4get duke now make de come carry this younger superman rite here! then i show u how to roast IBB and atiku like suya
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by shango(m): 3:33am On Oct 04, 2006
studying abroad for 1 year is not the same as living abroad for over 20 years, and GW BUSH wasn't that bright in school

Could you get into Yale or Harvard? Pfft. I didnt think so. At least he was smart enough to get in, unlike you. Even the dumbass in Yale is obviously pretty smart for him to get in in the first place, so to put him down like that is ridicolous. What school did YOU study at? I bet it wasnt Yale or Harvard or even close Prestige wise.

And you think living abroad for 20 years makes you special or entitles you to know how best to rule or govern a country. G.W. Bush has lived here in the US all his life, and he cannot govern or preside worth shit. Again, leadership has nothing to do with getting some formal western education or living in a western country.

Someone like Donald Duke has done good things for his hometown. But he will never be president as he is not a shrewd politician, he is a well meaning guy but he is like an MKO Abiola, he doesnt have what it takes to rule a country like Nigeria and doesnt have the right political connections. Plus he is from Calabar. We are not going to be seeing anyone from that region ruling as president anytime soon, a revolution will have to take place first.

And Diaspora is not a derogatory term, however it doesnt apply to Nigerians in foreign lands. Diaspora involves captivity like your example of the Jews, as well as present day African Americans. That is different from going to another land on your own will and choosing to adapt to another culture, that is very very different. Present day Nigerians in the US emmigrated here, we were not brought here by force, some choose to become "Oyinbo" or "Akata" and some choose to hold on to their cultural heritage and customs. None of those scenarios have anything to do with Diaspora.
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Odeku(m): 3:47am On Oct 04, 2006
May Shango your name strike you useless mugu before you open your basket mouth, look at this [
Could you get into Yale or Harvard? YES IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY IDIOT, and IF YOUR FATHER WAS A PRESIDENT FOOL
Educated at Harvard, Johnson Sirleaf became involved in government when she became Assistant Minister of Finance in President William Tolbert's administration in 1970. Over the course of her career, Ms. Johnson Sirleaf has held such prominent positions as minister of finance of Liberia, president of the Liberia Bank for Development and Investment, and senior loan officer of the World Bank. Ms. Johnson Sirleaf has represented Liberia on the boards of the International Monetary Fund and the African Development Bank; she also served five years as assistant administrator and director of the regional bureau for Africa of the United Nations Development Program with the rank of assistant secretary general of the UN. While running for Senate in 1985, she spoke out against the military regime, and was sentenced to ten years in prison. Released after a short period, she left in exile and returned in 1997 in the capacity of an economist, working for the World Bank, and Citibank in Africa.

Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf has been a prominent figure in many peace building activities and publications. Firstly, she helped to publish “Preventable Genocide,” a report on the Rwandan genocide. Secondly, she coauthored Women, War, and Peace, a UNIFEM (United Nations Development Fund for Women) project. Thirdly, she sits on the board of the International Crisis Group as well as the Nelson Mandela Foundation. Ms. Johnson Sirleaf founded and continues to support Measuagoon, a community development organization with projects throughout Liberia. She has also received numerous international honors, including the Grand Commander Star of Africa Redemption from Liberia (1980), the Franklin D. Roosevelt Freedom of Speech Award from the United States (1988), The Ralph Bunche International Leadership Award (OIC, USA – 1995), and Commandeur de l’Ordre du Mono from Togo . DO you think they don't have over qualified politicians with good reputation in Liberia? she is the president of that country now becase of her international exposure and vision

[quote][/quote]
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by shango(m): 6:15am On Oct 04, 2006
Learn how to write coherent sentences and make points because that diatribe you just spewed is utter garbage.

If what you said was the case every president and former presidents daughters and sons would be in harvard or yale and that isnt the case. Ofcourse Alumni status boosts your offsprings chances of admission but it is not the only factor idiot. And what has Johnson Sirleaf and what you posted got to do with the point I made that you do not need a western education to preside over a country. I didnt say people with degrees cannot rule a country, learn to read and digest and understand what I am stating in plain english before spewing horse dung my friend.
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by superman(m): 3:45pm On Oct 04, 2006
: shango
if you that good in english and u dnt speak english as a third lang then u shuold be able to decode them scripts! are you with us
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Aggressa(m): 12:52am On Oct 06, 2006
Odeku:

Havila good point must I must disagree with you on some terms, how is the name diaspora different from African American? and to say some of us preffer for out children not to speak out native language is so incorrect, most of the Nigerians In Chicago born in the state actually do speak fluently like you will not believe, but i still see your point in having a president that is familiar with the issues in Nigeria, but is it possible to have a credible, honest politician in Nigeria? look at the governors, local government council men all mismanaging funds, could you attribute this to lack of exposure and education? or is it just mere greed?

Dear Odeku and all,
Thanks for your response. Indirectly, you've confirmed that the term 'Diasporan' is derogatory by referring to the African Americans. As you all know, the original 'diaspora' african-americans were like the jews, taken in captivity to the Amreicas just as the jews were taken in captivity to Babylon. Why are they called African-Americans? it is not a 'cliche' or 'style or slang', it is an attempt at having an identity which they so much crave but do not have in the 'foreign' land where they live. Every real african-american will rather prefer to know his or her 'real' root rather than the vague terminology of 'african-american'. It is unfortunate and a pity but commendable when you see them now doing all they can to have an identity by giving themselves all sorts of African name. Believe me, the phrase 'Nigerians in Diaspora' is a ridiculous name to identify oneself by but in our usual twisted attempt to create a 'niche' for ourself, it is now a term used widely but rather ignorantly by a lot of us abroad to call ourself. You know, it is an attempt at 'classying' (pardon my english)  which we so much like, i.e. we-here-abroad-and-you-there-in-nigeria-syndrome. No wonder we professionals abroad are not making real impact back home because we see ourselves as better off, more knowledgeable and exposed and these creates a separation rather than integrate us with our colleagues back home, because a status or class as been created. Imagine President Obasanjo even said he will convert Federal Secretariat Ikoyi to an Housing Estate for the 'Nigerians in Diaspora' to encourage us to come home. what about the civil servants, lecturers/professors etc who are working at home and can't even afford a house?, can't you see how disenfranchised and discouraged they will be!!
Somebody gave Sirleaf Johnson as an example, very good, she's been active in Liberian and african development/politics since the 70's and not a 'jhonny-just-come'. Many of us living abroad need to change our thinking and mentality from the 'Diasporan' mentality if we want to make any meaningful contribution back home, integrate ourselves into the system back home, collaborate from our colleagues back home, learn from them and integrate our knowledge with theirs to make a change for the better. Indian descendats from UK and US etc who are now helping their country worked with their colleagues based at home rather than adopt a 'diasporan mentality of separation or classification'.

Odeku:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but is it possible to have a credible, honest politician in Nigeria? look at the governors, local government council men all mismanaging funds, could you attribute this to lack of exposure and education? or is it just mere greed?
Again, I disagree with you, there are honest and credible Nigerian in Nigeria, it is the loose and permisive system we have that turns honest men and women to thiefs and money launderers. If we change the system (e.g EFCC is doing it's little best in that area) and make the system so tight and discouraging for looting, honest people will remain honest. That change of system can happen if the Professional bodies e.g Nigerian Bar association, Medical Association, Chartered Accountants, Insurance, Bankers associations, teachers association etc wake up and decide to take responsibility for the lives in ordinary Nigerians and also take responsibility for the action and inactions of it's various members. Look at the legal system in Nigeria, it enjoys some respect and sanity relative to others because at least the NBA attempts to make it's members accountable in Nigeria. If all associations become very professional in conduct and not just in name, we can change the system.
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Odeku(m): 12:26am On Nov 11, 2006
damn that is cold
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Revolution: 1:39pm On Nov 11, 2006
Listen, you don't need no oyibo or Nigerian living abroad. You need an intelligent Nigerian. In any case if you really think a Nigerian who has lived abroad for a while is the answer then my man Duke also fits that profile. The man is very much like Clinton and even plays Jazz music on the sax like Clinton. So I don't agree with your criteria but if you insist then look no further than Duke.

See the attached photo evidence,

Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by tyrex(m): 7:26pm On Nov 11, 2006
Odeku I hope U're not talking about Urself here grin anyhow sha I kinda buy Ur idea. It would be a lovely change from these people we have here who have been corrupted by the way the system works over the years.

@Revolution, I've just got one line of advice for you. Look carefully b4 U trip cool if U need more explanation I could oblige U that
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Revolution: 8:40pm On Nov 11, 2006
Tyrex, please explain.
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Odeku(m): 8:43pm On Nov 11, 2006
BinGO look at Dukes accomplishements? loke at the IBRU accomplishments, this are all prodicts of our OBODO OYINBO, we need nigerians Americans, Nigerians Britons and where ever they are to lead us.
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by Ilelobola: 10:15pm On Dec 16, 2008
Some have returned to Nigeria and done good things like the former finance minister, yet others have done what has come to be the norm with Nigerian political leaders, like Afikuyomi and Fayose who I seem to remember were based outside Nigeria.

One of my husband's friends was supporting a political party in the West and was promised a role in government for his contributions and support etc. When the day came, he was offered Director of Cocoa industry or something of sorts but he refused it saying it was too small for his contributions. If he had good intentions, he would have taken the role and turned the place around; after living in the UK for 25 years or so.
Re: Nigeria Need A Foreigner, Nigeria in diaspora To Be A President by asha80(m): 10:57pm On Dec 16, 2008
Some have returned to Nigeria and done good things like the former finance minister, yet others have done what has come to be the norm with Nigerian political leaders, like Afikuyomi and Fayose who I seem to remember were based outside Nigeria.

One of my husband's friends was supporting a political party in the West and was promised a role in government for his contributions and support etc. When the day came, he was offered Director of Cocoa industry or something of sorts but he refused it saying it was too small for his contributions. If he had good intentions, he would have taken the role and turned the place around; after living in the UK for 25 years or so.

He wanted his share of the national cake. tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emirs Leave Palaces As Buhari Visits: In Nasarawa State / OSUN 2014 Nairaland Elections. APC Vs PDP...let's See Who Wins / Buhari's (Copies Of) Certificates With Us - Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.