Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,253 members, 7,950,350 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 12:29 PM

Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama (67843 Views)

Peter Okoye Blasts Fan Who Criticized His Sexy Bedroom Photo & Caption / Nigerian Wear / Rate This Good Picture Of Tekno Wearing Native On The Scale Of 1 To 10. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by luckyboss(m): 8:40am On Jul 25, 2015
Bleep off haters..nothing wrong with his dressing.
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by philGeo(m): 8:47am On Jul 25, 2015
bigx:
Etibo is NOT igbo
They don come, get ready fight your way out.
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by fairheven: 8:59am On Jul 25, 2015
SonOfEl:

o boy shut up. who then owns it, 'South south'? ediot! my father wore it in the 60s and 70s as a young dude in an ishiagu fashion... see property stealer now turned fashion stealer...

THE SOUTH-SOUTH AND SOUTH-EAST actually have a lot in common ,including fashion Attires,it was Gowon that divided us in the name of politics
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by SonOfEl(m): 9:18am On Jul 25, 2015
fairheven:

THE SOUTH-SOUTH AND SOUTH-EAST actually have a lot in common ,including fashion Attires,it was Gowon that divided us in the name of politics

you are correct....
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by hahn(m): 9:52am On Jul 25, 2015
Tolexander:
Wow, I love the attention and controversies being generated by this attire.

The attire will surely go places.

Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
wink
grin
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by Originalsly: 10:06am On Jul 25, 2015
Hmm...as for me I think he should be wearing the full outfit....performing or not. What I find disgusting is him wearing shades indoors....that's so dumb.
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by dabossman(m): 11:20am On Jul 25, 2015
Hhm, see them defending Wale here. But when their President (GEJ before, PMB now) rep their native attire to international summits they will open their mouths and be asking why he is not wearing a suit like everyone.

If you don't seem to appreciate what is yours, why do you expect others to?

1 Like

Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by Youpele52: 11:30am On Jul 25, 2015
[quote author=thisisbankole post=36223283]
Correction
Etibo is not an Igbo attire but an Ijaw (Niger Deltan attired)

That been said see the 10 +1 unbelievable things you can do with toothpaste
https://www.nairaland.com/2462522/10-unbelievable-things-toothpaste
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by K114: 12:09pm On Jul 25, 2015
SonOfEl:

o boy shut up. who then owns it, 'South south'? ediot! my father wore it in the 60s and 70s as a young dude in an ishiagu fashion... see property stealer now turned fashion stealer...
Bros na u suppose shut up! That is a fully south south attire, una just like to copy!

1 Like

Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by obasiinnc(m): 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2015
bigx:
Etibo is NOT igbo

HIn links below from books dating as far back as the 1980's it is clearly stated as Kalabari (part of ijaw) attire.
The name comes from Eighty Bob (Shillings) per shirt.

If someone states Nigeria is in east Africa I'm sure it would be an issue.

Congrats to Wale for repping Africa smiley

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=6_1yAAAAMAAJ&q=etibo&dq=etibo&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=JKXpAAAAMAAJ&q=etibo&dq=etibo&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=YbDxMraqHoUC&q=etibo&dq=etibo&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=0bffAAAAMAAJ&q=etibo&dq=etibo&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y
. Who told u-were is this niger delta u are talking about located,,bro etibo is an igbo atire
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by bigx(m): 12:37pm On Jul 25, 2015
obasiinnc:
. Who told u-were is this niger delta u are talking about located,,bro etibo is an igbo atire

Did I mention Niger Delta or do you read?
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by EmekaBlue(m): 1:10pm On Jul 25, 2015
sanandreas:
Truly African. Níger delta style with oguefi cap cheesy
grin grin grin grin
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by EmekaBlue(m): 1:13pm On Jul 25, 2015
proudly 9ja nigga..make dem go die twice....swag ur attire Waaale
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by PocoAPoco57: 2:20pm On Jul 25, 2015
SenJoe:
Must we follow Americans in all they do?
We are the giant of Africa.........pls CNN should re-broadcast it to their hearing, just in case they forgot.

Joke of Africa
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by Emilokoiyawon: 3:23pm On Jul 25, 2015
Wale is NOT a Nigerian. If you did not grow up in Nigeria you are not a Nigerian. Your parents nationality is irrelevant. Please stop calling Americans Nigerians.
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by otiigba1(m): 4:09pm On Jul 25, 2015
Can some one tell him that its okay to remove his sun glasses, there is no sun shine indoors, unless he is partially blind undecided

1 Like

Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by ModiKen(m): 5:31am On Jul 26, 2015
SAMBARRY:
whatever

U obviously lack SENSE.

Didnt read d post before making a comment; when you are corrected, all you could say is "whatever"

U need better slap, URGENTLY to put those loose bolts in your head back in place!
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by SAMBARRY: 6:30am On Jul 26, 2015
ModiKen:

U obviously lack SENSE.

Didnt read d post before making a comment; when you are corrected, all you could say is "whatever"

U need better slap, URGENTLY to put those loose bolts in your head back in place!
ok whatever wink
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by DECOtech(m): 8:44am On Jul 26, 2015
Zonacom:

Waited for a comment like this. While some Americans criticized Wale for wearing the nigerian dress, you are now criticizing the op for calling it igbo. Smh

It amazes me what you count as criticism.

The guy made a good point (right or wrong) and even educated us on the origin of its name.

I can't be certain in my opinion as of the origin of this attire cos even Igbo ladies now wear "aso ebi" in Igbo ceremonies.

1 Like

Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by lohresloco: 9:01am On Jul 26, 2015
It is not an igbo traditional wear, simple
Zonacom:

Waited for a comment like this. While some Americans criticized Wale for wearing the nigerian dress, you are now criticizing the op for calling it igbo. Smh
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by SonOfEl(m): 9:07am On Jul 26, 2015
lohresloco:
It is not an igbo traditional wear, simple

it is an Igbo attire. simple. it used to be the main design worn with an ishiagu/isiagu attire...
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by Tzeronix(m): 11:22am On Aug 23, 2015
Gmajor:
truth be said that cloth is trashy. there are a lot nice Nigerian costumes he could have chosen from
Im w/ you on this one. The dress doesn't even sit well on him. If he had even worn a pair of trousers having the same Color as the top & design, he'd probably have still looked a bit more serious-minded.
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 23, 2015
He's an entertainer not a bank manager.
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by LilTyRoNe: 3:53pm On Feb 03, 2017
bigx:
Etibo is NOT igbo

In links below from books dating as far back as the 1980's it is clearly stated as Kalabari (part of ijaw) attire.
The name comes from Eighty Bob (Shillings) per shirt.

If someone states Nigeria is in east Africa I'm sure it would be an issue.

Congrats to Wale for repping Africa smiley

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=6_1yAAAAMAAJ&q=etibo&dq=etibo&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=JKXpAAAAMAAJ&q=etibo&dq=etibo&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=YbDxMraqHoUC&q=etibo&dq=etibo&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=0bffAAAAMAAJ&q=etibo&dq=etibo&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y

Oluku why you no put one of your sho
How is Etigbo not igbo we all know our grandfathers wore it long time. and when speaking about ijaw they are one with the ibo just lil language diff, oh is it because the yoruba dude did not wear his tribes attire chai ndo?
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by LilTyRoNe: 4:02pm On Feb 03, 2017
GreatEngineer:
Proudly naija, oyinbo hater go and ask Oshomole he will tell you how to do the need full.

Go and die !!!
hahahaha

1 Like

Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by delishpot: 10:29pm On Feb 03, 2017
Etibọ is not Igbo atire BTW.
The igbos wear something similar which Is generaly reffered to as isi agwu but they don't put the studs like the Ijaws do. May be igbos have the name they call their own version of it but deff not Etibọ
Why did he wear jeans under it? That is sacrilege. If he wants to do something, he should do it well jor.
But I applaud his project. Good one indeed.
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by delishpot: 10:35pm On Feb 03, 2017
LilTyRoNe:

Oluku why you no put one of your sho
How is Etigbo not igbo we all know our grandfathers wore it long time. and when speaking about ijaw they are one with the ibo just lil language diff, oh is it because the yoruba dude did not wear his tribes attire chai ndo?

Hahaha, Ijaws and Igbo a oil language difference? Hahahaha, I guess you talking about the Ikweres? Abeg ijaw is diverse o. Ikweres are not the only Ijaws. If ogoni speak give you, you will not see "just a lil language diff" .

mig007:
He's an entertainer not a bank manager.
Dem no tell am to wear suit and tie Na.
Re: Wale Criticized By Americans For Wearing Native Nigerian Wear To Meet Obama by delishpot: 10:42pm On Feb 03, 2017
DECOtech:

It amazes me what you count as criticism.

The guy made a good point (right or wrong) and even educated us on the origin of its name.

I can't be certain in my opinion as of the origin of this attire cos even Igbo ladies now wear "aso ebi" in Igbo ceremonies.

GOD bless you I see Igbo brides even wearing Edo style beads, Kalahari style coral caps and very soon walking sticks and Indian sari for traditional marriage. The thing Dey tire me. You would hardly see brides form the north, Ijaw or Yoruba do same. Hardly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hip TV Presenter Nancy Isime Reveals Bare N***pls In Super Sexy Photos / Cynthia Shalom: ‘Why I Date Older Men. My Lover Is 17 Years Older Than Me’ / Kate Henshaw Celebrates Her 49th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.