Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,417 members, 7,908,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 10:45 PM

Police Arrest, Release Anichebe Over Jewellery Theft: Black Is Crime? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Police Arrest, Release Anichebe Over Jewellery Theft: Black Is Crime? (657 Views)

Driver Jumps Off Bridge To Escape Arrest / Bizarre! Rivers Police Arrest Man,10-yr-old Boy For Witchcraft / It's Not A Crime To Be Ugly And We Ugly Girls Need Some Love! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police Arrest, Release Anichebe Over Jewellery Theft: Black Is Crime? by yinkafenwa(m): 9:05pm On Mar 13, 2009
CHESHIRE Police on apologised to Nigerian international, Victor Anichebe after officers challenged him as he looked in a jeweller’s shop window.

The Everton player was window-shopping on Wednesday with a friend in Knutsford, Cheshire, when officers confronted the pair, eventually handcuffing his friend.

Police said they were acting after a spate of robberies but admitted it was a “less than proportionate reaction”.

Anichebe said the incident was “embarrassing and totally humiliating”.

He said in a statement: “Whilst I do fully understand Cheshire Police’s desire to tackle the problem of robberies on jewellery shops in the Knutsford area, I remain deeply upset and very angry about the treatment which was meted out to myself and a friend yesterday [Wednesday].

“It was not only totally ridiculous but also highly embarrassing and totally humiliating. Simply because we stood our ground and insisted that we had done absolutely nothing wrong, they decided to place my friend in handcuffs.

“I am currently having to use crutches to walk as I recently underwent surgery on a knee injury and - astonishingly - one of the officers even tried to grab the crutches in order to prevent me from ‘escaping’.”

He added: “After what seemed like an eternity the police officers seemed to realise that they had made a mistake, acknowledging that I was a footballer with a Premiership club and not someone who was preparing to commit a crime.”

“At the time, I asked the officers if they would have taken the action they did had I been white rather than black.” A police spokesman said: “It is only right and proper that the police act expeditiously in protecting vulnerable premises such as jewellery shops.

(1) (Reply)

For The Ladies (alone) / There Are Rotten Girls In Nairaland. / Still On Iran - The Hypocrisy Of The West - Myths And Lies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.