Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,341 members, 7,888,080 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:49 PM

US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari (1926 Views)

3 Appointments To Hausa-fulanis In One Day, FFK Blasts Buhari. / Patrick Leahy, US Senator Calls Nigerian Soldiers ‘rapists’ / FFK Blasts US Senator Leahy For Calling Nigerian Soldiers "Rapists & Murderers" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by AtlanticBreeze: 1:11am On Jul 25, 2015
“It is well documented by the State Department and by respected human rights organizations that Nigerian army personnel have, for many years, engaged in a pattern and practice of gross violations of human rights against the Nigerian people and others, including summary executions of prisoners, indiscriminate attacks against civilians, torture, forced disappearances and rape. Rarely have the perpetrators been prosecuted or punished.

“This abusive conduct not only violates the laws of war, it creates fear and loathing among the Nigerian people whose support is necessary to defeat a terrorist group like Boko Haram.

“President Buhari ignores the undisputed fact that most Nigerian army units have been approved, under the Leahy Law, for U.S. training and equipment. Only those particular units against which there is credible evidence of the most heinous crimes are ineligible for U.S. aid. And even those units can again become eligible if the Nigerian Government takes effective steps to bring the responsible individuals to justice.

“I strongly agree with President Buhari about the need to defeat Boko Haram, and I have supported tens of millions of dollars in U.S. aid to Nigeria for that purpose. But rather than suggest that the United States is at fault for not funding murderers and rapists in the Nigerian military, he should face up to his own responsibility to effectively counter Boko Haram. He should direct his attention to the Nigerian military, and the Nigerian courts, and clean up the units implicated in such atrocities.”

http://www.leahy.senate.gov/press/reaction-of-senator-patrick-leahy-d-vt-to-nigerian-president-buharis-mis-directed-criticism-of-the-leahy-law-on-human-rights
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by AtlanticBreeze: 1:13am On Jul 25, 2015
Some folks actually disagreed with me earlier this morning when I said Buhari's much publicized trip to the US was a waste of tax payers money. It was the most embarrassing outing of a Nigerian president to the USA ever!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by nnachukz(m): 1:37am On Jul 25, 2015
His supporters were shouting Obama is going to lodge him, posting pictures here and there. Now, that useless, senseless trip has resulted to public yabing and shame. None of them is talking again.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by lovaleenny(f): 1:38am On Jul 25, 2015
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by bakila: 1:41am On Jul 25, 2015
lovaleenny:
nnachukz:
Under arrest for booking space
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by dunkem21(m): 1:44am On Jul 25, 2015
grin
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Nobody: 1:51am On Jul 25, 2015
Mr. President election is over, reality is gradually sinking in.

All the same I wish you the best Mr President.

1 Like

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Nobody: 2:08am On Jul 25, 2015
Radio Biafra and IPOB tweeted Sen. Leahy for weeks ahead of GMB's visit and they are excited by the outcome.

7 Likes

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by kenedy175(m): 2:09am On Jul 25, 2015
I just dey laugh grin grin

When GEJ was talking, they called him clueless.

Baba is now there both clueless and idea less.

This shows that they simply had no plan to stop this insurgency. In short, they had no plan to better Nigeria. There aim was just to unseat Jonathan.

Now that Baba has finished begging and returned, what's next?

We just dey look sha.

11 Likes

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by NoMoreTrolling: 2:13am On Jul 25, 2015
How are those U.S.A guys really wrong though

Was it not the same soldiers that burnt BRT buses in Lagos

Just pause for a sec and think of British soldiers burning down the London double decker buses undecided won't that be likened to a scene from a zombie movie, were the military had recently been infected with the virus

There might be hidden reasons for the refusal to sell arms, but we do need to clean up our acts.

Why would a soldier tell a father to frog jump in front of his wife and kids Whatever happened to a simple arrest

Naija is a jungle

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Imokay: 2:16am On Jul 25, 2015
Shows we still don't have enough influence and importance in world affairs to have our way with any behaviour and still get what we want like some oil rich Arab nations.
I am still yet to see what value the anti-gay law has added to Nigerian fortunes as the people who practice it have not stopped and no significant arrest or prosection has been made as many prominent Nigerians are gay and can hardly be arrested for such acts.

You also find many Nigerians unflinching when Armed forces commit atrocious human right abuses for suspects as far as it's not in your region or village. There are videos of how the Boko Haram founder and many followers were shot to death with handcuffs or at the back while lying on the ground. The fact that these acts is normal and acceptable to us does not make it normal to our weapons supplier. The truth is if you study the official rule of engagement of the military such acts are punishable showing something is inherently wrong with summary executions. The fact that Boko Haram will behead a captured soldier does not in anyway invalidate the rule book. Otherwise we can say Boko Haram is now our standard of law making or behaviour.
The choice is either we live upto the human right standard we are signatory to, or approach countries who care less about such nice things as human rights or wait till we can develop the weapons we need. It all depends on the kind of society we want to build.

In any case it is still normal for many Nigerians to burn or beat to death suspected witches/wizard, armed robbers, kidnappers so you can understand why BH cannot be treated otherwise. Advanced countries who have generally transcended that level also find it difficult to accept there are people who still remain at that level.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Nobody: 2:17am On Jul 25, 2015
If Pa Buhari hadn't been too self righteous, stupidly confident, and had subdued his i-too-know attitude, he would have relied on his media team to guide his utterances during the US trip.

He is just an embarrassment to this nation. undecided

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by wallex1983(m): 2:20am On Jul 25, 2015
All these get weight o. But really, how much iڪ garri now?
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by buskie13(m): 2:33am On Jul 25, 2015
DuIIardinho took 2.2 billion from de empty treasury to America...now there's no good from de outing....

this' where basket mouth needs to come say something.. but never!!!!!!

it seems like he's butt-licking de duara dullard for a favour which will make him say meaningless things about de previous govt at any given opportunity..

9 Likes

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by donholy28(m): 2:36am On Jul 25, 2015
Buhari is now clueless pass jona

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by sammyj: 2:41am On Jul 25, 2015
I am not surprised since Baba refused their sodom law.
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Gboliwe: 2:49am On Jul 25, 2015
You asked for it, you got it! Change!

cool cool cool cool

4 Likes

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by California1(m): 2:55am On Jul 25, 2015
The problem with buhari is that he thought we are still in the era of 80s when you are free to do and undo anything. ....

buhari should wise up because radio biafra can spoil many things for him. ...and boko haram will be happy for the out come. .... sad

6 Likes

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Oildichotomy(m): 3:06am On Jul 25, 2015
I have always had convictions not to support this Daura D from the get-go. And the events playing since his inauguration seems to confirm them.

He is a huge mistake some gullible Nigerians will have to live with till the end of this administration. I don't pity them one bit.
#Change myAss

3 Likes

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by likila: 3:10am On Jul 25, 2015
see yabis!
oyingbo bad oooo!

buhari!
you see your life?

2 Likes

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by LieDetector(m): 3:19am On Jul 25, 2015
NoMoreTrolling:
How are those U.S.A guys really wrong though

Was it not the same soldiers that burnt BRT buses in Lagos

Just pause for a sec and think of British soldiers burning down the London double decker buses undecided won't that be likened to a scene from a zombie movie, were the military had recently been infected with the virus

There might be hidden reasons for the refusal to sell arms, but we do need to clean up our acts.

Why would a soldier tell a father to frog jump in front of his wife and kids Whatever happened to a simple arrest

Naija is a jungle
this is what most Nigerians fail to understand. The US's refusal to sell arms to the Nigerian military has nothing to do with Nigeria's stance on LGBT.

3 Likes

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by LieDetector(m): 3:26am On Jul 25, 2015
sammyj:
I am not surprised since Baba refused their sodom law.
why can't you just reason objectively. Nigerian military is known for violating human right and you think it would be right to sell exquisitely sophisticated arms to them? Tantamount to giving a pistol to a madman. The life of everyone within that vicinity would be in jeopardy.
Try to think out of the box mate

3 Likes

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Hardeks: 4:12am On Jul 25, 2015
Even with all these, does it mean u pple should start condmning him, is US army completely clean or what gibberish u Pple are expectorating, PMB had taken a bold and vibrant step in seeking the assistance of US to put an end to the wasting of precious and innocent life of Nigerians. Pls is it a crime to seek help from who you think can help u? Or can't you pple ask yourslf first that "is it all assistant i render to those who seek help from me" I think. You pple should be able to wait for the two month old baby at least to grow as old as the six years lad before you can start gushing out your stinking excuses and condemnation. "Hennn so so so so blast Buhari". And so?

1 Like

Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 25, 2015
I thought they claimed he never blamed the US?
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by sammyj: 7:03am On Jul 25, 2015
cool grin
LieDetector:
why can't you just reason objectively. Nigerian military is known for violating human right and you think it would be right to sell exquisitely sophisticated arms to them? Tantamount to giving a pistol to a madman. The life of everyone within that vicinity would be in jeopardy.
Try to think out of the box mate
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by playahata: 8:17am On Jul 25, 2015
Abeg, where do the US Army, Russia, China, North Korea, UK, etc receive training from? And our politicians and ministers are stealing billions of Dollars!!! FOR WHAT PURPOSE?? AND NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!
Every blessed year same old story.
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 25, 2015
OP, beg how does this equate to "BLAST"?

Are we hell bent on going against PMB that we forget our Nationhood and honour?

Must Y'all always seek for attacks and counter attacks in the name of being Jonathanians or Buharists?

Anyway, Lagos finest boy is giving ladies the opportunity to ask his hands in marriage, see terms below

https://samueliyanu./2015/07/24/lagos-finest-boy-gives-ladies-the-opportunity-to-propose-see-terms-and-conditions/
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by dBard: 8:32am On Jul 25, 2015
The USA has a huge bargaining chip over Nigeria; army training, logistics, weapons sale and maintenance especially in d face of d growing Boko Haram threat and they'll not fail to use it to get Nigeria to fall in line. Especially now they don't need our oil, but d gov't needs
them to stabilize the economy(dollar).
GEJ saw dis and turned East. PMB tho has put himself in d spot by not having an alternative, disregarding d East and focusing West. His statement too was a diplomatic faux pas that shouldn't have been made. Senator Leahys words are weighty n has effectively shut d door on military aid n with it, further economic consideration and now it's left to see the kind of balls the government of D day possess.
Re: US Senator Leahy Blasts Buhari by Hardeks: 5:18pm On Jul 26, 2015
Home my home, Nigeria my home, I am so proud of you, in you I will live and survive, no matter how tough, terrible and horrible the wicked sons and dauthers of the devil tries to turn you to, for I av eaten the food that your land produces and drank the water your land springs out, I will never deny you, I will always proud of you, I will never leave you even if AMERICA grant me "forever" visa, I say NO, for I extremely know you are far better than amerika. I don't like amerik* again!!! Sorry.

(1) (Reply)

Isoro Cult Speaks About Human Sacrifice For Installation Of New Ooni / Bishop Uchenna Okonkwor Drops Prophetic Message Warning For Buhari / Atiku Hits The Gym, Says He's warming up for January transfer toArsenal - PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.