Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,021 members, 7,883,536 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 12:19 PM

Postgraduate Degree Has Minimal Significance In Nigeria Compared To: - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Postgraduate Degree Has Minimal Significance In Nigeria Compared To: (1393 Views)

Advice On Choice Of Postgraduate Degree / What Is A Surgeon's/doctor's Salary Like In Nigeria Compared To The U.S.? / High Paying Job Or Postgraduate Degree In Medicine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Postgraduate Degree Has Minimal Significance In Nigeria Compared To: by rhufffryda(m): 3:24pm On Mar 14, 2009
a postgraduate degree has Zero significance in nigeria especially even when u dnt av any valid work experience. what a cousin of mine is going through is enough fact for me. after spending more that 10 million naira on a US masters degree including tuition, accommodtion, feeding, books etc, she is still being treated as an entry level graduate just because she doesn't have d necessary professional qualifications yet. this happened in about three big international firms. I would advice dese young graduates scrambling for student visa to go n study abroad for a masters degree that that is not d beginning of career life. u still av to do ur professionals. I see it as errant nonsense though. share ur views everyone.
Re: Postgraduate Degree Has Minimal Significance In Nigeria Compared To: by IykeD(m): 7:30pm On Mar 14, 2009
True talk! After Bsc, i think it is wise to get 2-3yrs experience and do some certifications before heading for masters.but you know why we are bent on going for masters, cos there is no job out there and these days most adverst will tell you, msc is an added advantage.
Re: Postgraduate Degree Has Minimal Significance In Nigeria Compared To: by laplace(m): 7:58pm On Mar 14, 2009
I quite agree with you. Posssessing a postgraduate degree is not a licence for liberty, or substitute for relevant job experience. a lot of employers prefer to employ fresh smart guys, train them and promote from within. Getting a masters degree does not qualify you for the job yet! There are quite a lot of things you're suppossed to know, and you don't learn such things in school.

In my case, I had a first class honours degree and was offered full scholarship to study for higher degrees abroad, but I had to tuen it down. You need to make some big choices at some points in your career. This might mean consulting and hearing from people ahead of you. A PhD in finace does not automatically get you a job in a bank in Nigeria. So, what the heck? Why do I kill myself getting buried in books while going grey hairs?
Re: Postgraduate Degree Has Minimal Significance In Nigeria Compared To: by kellyhand1: 8:58pm On Mar 14, 2009
While I agree that working for about 2 to 3 years before going for Masters is a good move, I don't think going straight for Masters after NYSC is a waste of time. You stand to gain some things if you bag your Masters after NYSC:

1) Your chances of getting a job (most jobs state MSc to be an added advantage) and besides, you can start your career abroad.
2) The company spends less to train you especially if you finished from a good school abroad
3) You will earn slightly more than your BSc colleague if you are both employed at the same time.

THE REASON WHY THINGS LOOK BLEAK NOW IS BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMIC CRISIS THE WORLD IS CURRENTLY FACING.
And again, companies are not ready to spend on training right now, so that makes someone with MSc more qualified than someone with only BSc.
My guys, most MSc abroad teach you exactly what you will do when you get a job. You even get the opportunity to do company projects as your dissertation.

HAVING SAID ALL THESE, YOUR CAREER DEPENDS ON HOW YOU WANT IT TO GO AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, PUT GOD FIRST AND YOU'LL GET THERE.

CHEERS.
Re: Postgraduate Degree Has Minimal Significance In Nigeria Compared To: by DisGuy: 10:23pm On Mar 16, 2009
rhufffryda:

a postgraduate degree has Zero significance in nigeria especially even when u dnt av any valid work experience. what a cousin of mine is going through is enough fact for me. after spending more that 10 million naira on a US masters degree including tuition, accommodtion, feeding, books etc, s[b]he is still being treated as an entry level graduate just because she doesn't have d necessary professional qualifications yet. this happened in about three big international firms.[/b] I would advice dese young graduates scrambling for student visa to go n study abroad for a masters degree that that is not d beginning of career life. u still av to do ur professionals. I see it as errant nonsense though. share ur views everyone.

Ive always wondered why people rush to do PG with zero experience in fact some do it before going for the NYSC
How do you expect a non-entry level job without previous working experience!

The chance of getting a job (not necessarily mid-level/senior) increases with a PG
and the probability of getting promoted also increases with a PG, in a structured organisation
you will get promoted faster than those with a a first degree as long as your performance is above average!
Re: Postgraduate Degree Has Minimal Significance In Nigeria Compared To: by Ifez: 8:29pm On May 05, 2009
Gosh! This whole thing is scary. What on earth are we supposed to do? Abi we should chop our degree plus NYSC certificate?
Ladies, the best thing is to get married to a successful guy ASAP! I don talk ma own be dat.
Re: Postgraduate Degree Has Minimal Significance In Nigeria Compared To: by AOAC: 12:34am On Jan 29, 2013
Ifez: Gosh! This whole thing is scary. What on earth are we supposed to do? Abi we should chop our degree plus NYSC certificate?
Ladies, the best thing is to get married to a successful guy ASAP! I don talk ma own be dat.

Paracitic leachy move. Its best to work out ur own career too.

(1) (Reply)

Professional It Certification In Abuja / A Lady Mechanic, Sandra Ekperuoh's Mechanic Workshop In VI Sealed / Navy Form On Sale...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.