Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,426 members, 7,881,560 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:56 PM

Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead (34319 Views)

Acting President Yemi Osinbajo In Surprise Muritala International Airport Visit / Nasir Zarummai, Sokoto Commissioner Is Dead (photos) / $15bn Oil Deal: Why Indian High Commissioner Is After Me – Alison-madue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by shininstar42: 12:15am On Jul 27, 2015
barcanista:
Even that 67 may be his "Official age"... Na God go help us

Seriously praying 4 God's intervention, I cry wen Eva I see youth every where searching for job
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Naijboyzz: 6:32am On Jul 27, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Akkord4gov: 8:41am On Jul 27, 2015
A great loss to those who know this man very well especially our Lautech students.RIP prof.The epitome example of humility
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 27, 2015
embarassedNa the moni way e chop for election choke em we meet baba for heaven give em reason u put dura Buhari..
Inbtw ...3est in peace
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Jesusloveyou: 8:43am On Jul 27, 2015
barcanista:
Bro I agree that wisdom comes with age, hence, old people are suited for critical Advisory role not operational role like INEC Commissioner. That role requires modern day brilliance and a smart mind for efficiency.
u miss d point, inec commissioner is like advisory role, while operational role is like that of state resident electoral commissioner

1 Like

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Justicealh3(m): 8:46am On Jul 27, 2015
RIP SIR.
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by GenOrumov: 8:52am On Jul 27, 2015
barcanista:
At this age a man is supposed to be in retirement. I think we should be encouraging young people. What can a man @ this age really do?

It amazes me how you think we should just take all the elderly ones with solid experience, send them home despite having something relevant to offer no matter how small it is.

What you should be advocating for is more opportunities for the youths, top positions for the youths that merit it and not "man no man" system that is currently in place.
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by horlabiyi(m): 8:56am On Jul 27, 2015
RIP to a great man. Very simple,easy-going,gentle,humble and down to earth. Lautech will forever miss you GREAT ICON

1 Like

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Jesusloveyou: 8:57am On Jul 27, 2015
chinoasa:
embarassedNa the moni way e chop for election choke em we meet baba for heaven give em reason u put dura Buhari..
Inbtw ...3est in peace
why d one he eat in 2011 no choke am

1 Like

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Jalal(m): 8:57am On Jul 27, 2015
He attended Islamic High School, Orita Bashorun, Ibadan on Western Region Scholarship between 1960 and 1964, and proceeded to University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), Osun State to study Physics on Federal Government Scholarship where he graduated in 1971.

He was priviledged if only youths of today had the same opportunities!

RIP!

1 Like

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by beyoncausme: 8:57am On Jul 27, 2015
what a pity....
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Lionhearted: 9:03am On Jul 27, 2015
A good man. Met him as a freshman in LAUTECH.

His humility is out of this world.

Rest in Peace.

2 Likes

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Mtsulphur8(m): 9:06am On Jul 27, 2015
MY ENCOUNTER WITH Prof A.M. SALAU

Fellows, the above is a series I intend to run for the next couple
of days reminiscing the various memorable moments I shared with
Late Prof A.M. Salau.
The year was year 2000, as an undergraduate in the university
where Prof Salau was the VC, part of what I cherished was
to observe my jumat service at the University Mosque because it
was always from mosque to Federation of Ibadan Students'
Union ( FIBSU) meeting at Old Chemistry Lab.
There was this particular Friday I got to the mosque a bit late,
same as Prof Salau on that day (though very unusual of him).
We had our ablution at about the same time and at that time Dr
Tijani ( now Prof Tijani) LAUTECH Chief Imam was
already on his feet, the security office attached to VC hastely
spread the mat himself and Prof were to pray on and some
students in their innocence rushed to occupy the mat before Prof
Salau could access the mat, at that point I almost lost
concentration on my prayer (astagafirlah) I was just a row away
and was amazed at what the students did, the security officer to
the VC tactically attempted to secure a space for Prof Salau on
the mat but Prof declined insinuating those students actually got
to the mat before him and should be allowed to observe their
prayers on the mat the VC actually brought to the mosque and
to my dismay, the VC just quietly packed himself off the mat
and had his prayer on a bare sand under the scotching sun of
that day. I practically lost concentration on my prayer on that
day as I saw the height of humility on display.
Prof A.M. Salau humbled himself here on earth , may Allah
elevate him to enviable heights in the hereafter.

MY PERSONAL ENCOUNTER WITH LATE
PROF SALAU: As Compiled by Olubadan
series 2
Sometimes in year 2011, after the general elections of that year,
I was involved in a meeting between someone seeking a position
and one famous Ibadan politician, it was late in the evening
before we were able to see the politician but the meeting was
meant to be very brief as our mission was straight forward and
when we eventually commenced meeting with the politician, he
requested to see the CV of the fellow I had gone with.
Going through the CV, the politician noticed the name of Prof
A.M. Salau as the first name on the referees page and paused,
at that point, a meeting that was meant to be very brief became
prolonged, what followed was;
Politician: So you know Prof Salau?
Position seeker: I don't just know him sir, he mentors me
Politician: Are you sure of what you're saying?
Position seeker: I'm not just sure sir, I double sure sir
Politician: And you're assuring me you'll not disgrace us the
same way Prof Salau didn't disgrace us
Position seeker: By God's grace
Politician: You'll give us reasons to be happy we made a good
choice like Prof Salau did ?
Position seeker: Yes sir
While this was going on, in spite of the fact that it was late in
the evening, I smartly dialled Prof Salau number and in his
usual solemn voice he said " Olubadan, ile mon su" (Olubadan,
it's late in the evening), I apologized for calling late and said it's
so so so (mentioning) the politician's name that wants to speak
with you sir, and I handed over the phone to the politician that
Prof was on phone.
After the exchange of pleasantries
Politician: I have a man here who claimed you mentor him (the
politician mentions the name)
Prof Salau : Aaaaaaah ,he is my person ooooo, a very good
one at that.
Politician: (Hangs up) My brother, case settled, Prof Salau's
goodwill is all I need to give you the job, because of Prof
Salau's involvement, I'll stop at nothing to work things out for
you.
Lo and behold, the deal was sealed and the politician delivered
as promised.
At a later date on a thank you visit to Prof Salau, Prof said
one thing that moved me
"Olubadan, eko ni eyin naa nko yen" strive for a good name
first, don't look for money, money will come when it will come,
"oruko rere, san ju Wura ati fadaka"
Prof Salau, because your name opened doors for others, may
the door of Aljanah never be shut at you.
Rest well, my amiable Mentor.

4 Likes

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by bibi5: 9:08am On Jul 27, 2015
Read News from Punch, Vanguard, Premium times, Leadership, Bellanaija, Stargist and other publishers on www.newspepa.com
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by gulfer: 9:12am On Jul 27, 2015
RIP my amiable VC, I think he replaced Oke as substantive VC after he left unceremoniously.
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by anigbajumo(m): 9:16am On Jul 27, 2015
RIP,our former Vc......

Lautech wil 4eva miss u.

1 Like

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by chichriso: 9:22am On Jul 27, 2015
Picture please
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Nobody: 9:22am On Jul 27, 2015
GenOrumov:

It amazes me how you think we should just take all the elderly ones with solid experience, send them home despite having something relevant to offer no matter how small it is.

What you should be advocating for is more opportunities for the youths, top positions for the youths that merit it and not "man no man" system that is currently in place.
I disagree here Sir! A man @67 is supposed to be in happy retirement. He can advice without holding such an office that requires the sharpest of brains, which he doesn't have. No serious business will have a 60+ man in its Executive Management Team. We have to face reality
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by BabaO2: 9:25am On Jul 27, 2015
barcanista:
At this age a man is supposed to be in retirement. I think we should be encouraging young people. What can a man @ this age really do?
stop eating and been useful if you can get to 67
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Waladade4luv(m): 9:26am On Jul 27, 2015
barcanista:
retire in a political appointment, smh.. .av neva seen that happening, anyway rip to d dead
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by toltee4real: 9:28am On Jul 27, 2015
May Allah grant you al-jannah fridauz.....aamen
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 27, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

You forget that the Holy Books call them End time generation that does what seems right in their own eyes.

Cursing their parents and disobeying their orders.
What o you expect from younger people that grew up watching other people curse themselves, their elders and the younger omes?
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 27, 2015
barcanista:
A whole lot
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by stinggy(m): 9:34am On Jul 27, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
u miss d point, inec commissioner is like advisory role, while operational role is like that of state resident electoral commissioner
Thank you. I'm surprised he does not know this.

RIP Prof Salau, the man behind so many developmental works then in Lautech. I was 'fresh' when he left his VC post.

1 Like

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by guntranno(f): 9:40am On Jul 27, 2015
May God Almighty forgive him his sins and admit him into paradise.

Btw, what has his age got to do with his death? Maybe we shld be expecting everyone to die once they attain the age of 60.

On the other hand, the youth of this country are without that wisdom to hold any office... Dino na youth, Gbenga Daniel, Dimeji Bankole, Farouk Lawal... All these people really messed up big time.

I need someone to give me list of youths that could hold successful these underlisted offices if given the opportunity

1. President

2. Vice President

3. Senate President

4. Speaker

5. Finance Minister

6. Foreign Minister

8. CBN Governor

9. Petroleum Minister (Make una leave this one for me)

10. SEC DG....

To me, we haven't done enough, we are still far away....
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 9:41am On Jul 27, 2015
barcanista:
What o you expect from younger people that grew up watching other people curse themselves, their elders and the younger omes?

You all are same generation.

In our world (generation), one year difference in age counts a lot. First born (male or female) rules the home with the consent of the parents. Even during Secondary School, Class I students dare not challenge their school-mates in Class II let alone Class V.
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by olapluto(m): 9:43am On Jul 27, 2015
Prof Salau! RIP. I saw you late 2013 and baba was the most humble person I ever met.
We met at his house at Alalubosa GRA Ibadan. When I was ushered into his house by the gateman, I was expecting to be led into the big mansion to meet baba in an air conditioned parlour. I was wrong! Baba was sitting on a very old mat, just by the gateman's house. You could easily pass by him as a friend of the gateman. In his faded ankara, with his status, I immediately learnt a life lesson on humility. He was so simple, brilliant and well connected. That day, Baba complained bitterly about Nyesom Wike. He had just met Wike to discuss the ASUU strike and Baba was so disgusted that someone like Wike was in charge of Nigerian Education.
Nigeria lost a gem in Baba Salau. I pray that the Almighty be with his family. When INEC appointed Baba, I was so happy because Baba is very honest.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Sobeautiful: 9:49am On Jul 27, 2015
AroOkigbo:

Yet a 72yr old is at the helm of affairs.
Any wonder the country seems to be at a standstill! !
RIP to the dead.
67?? E don try for dis present world.
How I wished my wife, my mum, my brother reach dat age sef.
Just noticed your username. I believe we are brethren.

1 Like

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by noordean(m): 9:50am On Jul 27, 2015
As old as this man was,he would stand in class for complete 3hrs teaching us solid state physics.
RIP Daddy!
May the Almighty Allah admit you into his jannah.

OAU Physics department is losing its great men. First it was Prof olomo(lost to kidnappers,not confirmed dead though), and now it's Prof salau. I hope there are good replacements to take up their jobs

1 Like

Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by igweamaka85(m): 10:02am On Jul 27, 2015
Na wa o! Affordable LANDS FOR SALE and APARTMENTS FOR RENT at "33" area of Onitsha Anambra state, interested persons should contact KEN on 08136517728
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Nobody: 10:12am On Jul 27, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

You all are same generation.

In our world (generation), one year difference in age counts a lot. First born (male or female) rules the home with the consent of the parents. Even during Secondary School, Class I students dare not challenge their school-mates in Class II let alone Class V.
hmmm Bros, I loyal o!!! grin grin
Re: Muritala Salau, INEC National-Commissioner Is Dead by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 27, 2015
Miss u baba Salau...rem when u took me solid state physics and solar energy back in skul...best teacher

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS : Diezena Returns $90billion Dollars To President Buhari / Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets / It Is Nigeria's Turn, Not Yours - Agbaje's cryptic post Amid Defection Rumours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.