Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,678 members, 7,908,770 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 11:50 AM

Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People (1437 Views)

5 Interesting Things About The Yoruba People / What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People / 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by leederrty1997: 8:06pm On Jul 27, 2015
The Yoruba people are well known for their numerous cultural and religious beliefs which guides them mentally, spiritually and morally in life. There are legions of beliefs among the Yoruba people, but here, we are talking about some ten funny ones.
1. Child, teeth and Lizards
I bet it, those who are familiar with this one are laughing right now. It is a normal experience to have some teeth fall-out during childhood days.And whenever this happens, the child or victim will have to wait for another tooth/teeth to grow out of the gum. But in Yorubaland, the people believed that if you don’t throw the tooth/teeth on the roof alongside seven (7) stones and pray that Lizards swallow them, your tooth/teeth may not grow again! That’s it, believe it or not, it won’t grow properly. How come?
2. Eating the meat or fish before finishing the food can result to greediness
If you grow up among the Yoruba people and you didn’t come across this belief, then your childhood must be missing somethings. Children do not dare touch their meat or fish before finishing their food. If they do, they are surely requesting for a knock on their head, or a slap, just because Yoruba mothers believe it will lead to the child being greedy. So, don’t touch that meat, else…..
3. Playing with an umbrella without rain falling
This sound like a normal thing to do. Of course it is, but among the Yoruba people, if you play with an umbrella without rain falling at that moment, they believe that there is going to be continuous rainfall on your wedding day. Who wants this? Nobody! So, don’t play with an umbrella when rain isn’t falling.
4. Ghosts visit their homes on Thursday nights
Why Thursday nights? Why can’t it be any other nights? In Yorubaland, they believe that gnomes visit their homes on Thursday nights to check if everything is in order. This is a warning, don’t take your bae to the backyard on Thursday nights, else both of you wana see a ghost.

Read more at https://oldnaija./2015/07/27/ten-funny-beliefs-among-the-yoruba-people/
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by Orfankwagh(m): 8:08pm On Jul 27, 2015
y, them try
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jul 27, 2015
undecided
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by Young03(m): 8:12pm On Jul 27, 2015
Yellow ba
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by bi0nics: 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2015
Vanquay:
undecided

grin buhahahhaha..

Them don first y0u..

Y0u amd y0ur worwor boots cleats
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 27, 2015
undecided undecidedundecided
bi0nics:

grin buhahahhaha..

Them don first y0u..

Y0u amd y0ur worwor boots cleats
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by bi0nics: 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
[size=15pt]Y0u Need deliverance cc: Vanquay[/size]
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 27, 2015
I didn't f*** your Bitch so why being a pain in my ass undecided
bi0nics:
[size=15pt]Y0u Need deliverance cc: Vanquay[/size]
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by bi0nics: 9:04pm On Jul 27, 2015
Vanquay:
I didn't f*** your Bitch so why being a pain in my ass undecided

embarassed Mehn..
MR VANQUAY...NO OFFENSE

WHY U KUM KARRY MATTER LIKE PLAINTAIN CHIPS undecided
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 27, 2015
Am not a Mr and am not angry. undecided. Do you play FPL?
bi0nics:

embarassed Mehn..
MR VANQUAY...NO OFFENSE

WHY U KUM KARRY MATTER LIKE PLAINTAIN CHIPS undecided
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by bi0nics: 9:10pm On Jul 27, 2015
Vanquay:
Am not a Mr and am not angry. undecided. Do you play FPL?

What's FPL
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 27, 2015
Fantasy Premier League
bi0nics:

What's FPL
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by bi0nics: 9:20pm On Jul 27, 2015
Vanquay:
Fantasy Premier League

It likes the taste 0f wifi

I deleted the shii since it doesnt like my mobile data
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 27, 2015
bi0nics:

It likes the taste 0f wifi

I deleted the shii since it doesnt like my mobile data
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by bi0nics: 9:31pm On Jul 27, 2015
Vanquay:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

I l0ve zombie higway sha..drop ur gmail make we c0mpare achievement
Re: Ten Funny Beliefs Among The Yoruba People by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 27, 2015
That game is so last year. Am not a big fan of mobile gaming cool
bi0nics:

I l0ve zombie higway sha..drop ur gmail make we c0mpare achievement

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Language / Plants Appreciation Day: Why Do You Love Plants / Start Speaking Spanish Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.