Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,780 members, 7,875,938 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:43 AM

Pmb: A Change That Listens - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pmb: A Change That Listens (629 Views)

GEJ And PMB, A Case Of Double Standard / Fashola Calls For A Change In House Rent Collection System In Nigeria / Objective Criticism Of PMB - A Week In A Democracy: President Buhari's ‘change’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pmb: A Change That Listens by ddddon(m): 1:42pm On Jul 30, 2015
PMB: A 'CHANGE' THAT LISTENS

By Arinze Esomnofu
arinzeesomnofu@gmail.com

This government of 'change' headed by President Buhari have proven over time that it pays a close and listening ears to the outcry of public commentators, and it is indeed a sign of the Democrat in Buhari. Thumbs up, Sir.

Firstly, I raised the issue of Hate Messages against the Federation that my people listens to daily under the disguise of 'Radio Bafria' and if the Radio and its leader Nnamdi Kanu is not put to check, that it will bring about a calamitous dent to the image of the South Eastern people and also it will lead to violence in the region, something am greatly against.

Writing against Biafra, weather through print or online media, is never an easy task because Biafra is most time seen as the 'Holy Grail' of we the Igbos, for we grew up with touching stories of the war. But that should not mean I will keep shut when an individual tries to pursue personal agenda forging on the soft side of my people, calling the Nation we know (Nigeria) a Zoo.

The complaint was raised by myself and also other columnist and political commentators raised the issue through different articles directed at 'Radio Biafra' and 'Nnamdi Kanu' and not have this government of 'Change' looked into it, but it sprung into action blocking the transmission of the station and going after its engineers. Great move !!!

Later on, I took a strategic view into the appointment made so far by President Buhari and how to a large extent it have been North favouring, http://www.naij.com/483367-buharis-ministerial-appointments-are-north-favouring.html appointing 8 out of his 9 appointments so far from the North even excluding North Central entirely and once again.

President Buhari responded through his Senior Special Assistance on Media and Publicity Garba Shehu stating that Buhari still have numerous appointments to make and as the Constitution stipulated he is going to abide by Federal Character, hear him “I think President Muhammadu Buhari is sensitive to the diversity of this country. He has more than 6,000 appointments to make. Therefore, why would anybody use less than 10 appointments to judge the President on this matter? Again, it boils down to the lack of patience. This man is an experienced leader. Nigeria stands to gain from the accumulation of wisdom that he has garnered over his long life on earth. He has sworn to an oath that he’s a President of all.
This government will make as many as 6,000 appointments. And he is bound, even if he doesn’t wish it, by the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to reflect federal character.” http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-to-make-6000-appointments-presidency/ and true to the words of President Buhari last week, the Director General of The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, Mr Ziakede Akpobolokemi and on Tuesday July 21st NIMASA appointed Mr Calistus Obi from Ihiala Local Government of Anambra State as Acting Head of NIMASA.

Earlier this month, after careful observation on Nigerian's reaction to his appointment, President Buhari appointed new service Chiefs and this time around it was not from one Region alone and from a critical look it was one done strictly on Meritocracy. Again kudos to this government of change.!!!

When the infamous decision to remove the Military from checkpoints Nation Wide was made by President Buhari, there was a strong public outcry in disapproval of the decision and while a few political commentators opined that the President being a Man with Military History will stick to his guns and stand by the 'Check Point' decision, our Dear President did not rather he listened to the voice of Nigerians and he reversed the decision.

To crown this piece am going to excrept an article by Dele Momodu titled "An Afternoon with President Buhari" hear the Man " Fellow Nigerians, let me confess that in over 30 years of writing no President has ever reacted directly or positively to my constant admonitions, lamentations or commendations. Rather, most of
the time, their aides, cronies and acolytes used to fire darts and barbs at us from every direction." I don't know if someone is actually seeing a pattern am drawing here because Dele Momodu have said it all, in his 30 years of writing, that no Nigerian sitting President have reacted directly to his submissions but in President Buhari he was amazed by a 'Change' he was amazed at a President of the most populous black Nation, showing such humility and such gesture towards Public Opinion.

Don't get me wrong readers, no one should opine that the President only makes corrections after making a wrong move, far from it. Because I have witness different scenarios where a Leader makes a terrible decision and even in Public criticism, He or She stands by such decision either saying the decision will be appreciated in the 'fullness of time' or that the decision was made in respect to National Security.

At this junction, fellow citizens we should not look so far for 'Change' for it is coming to us in a form of a listening President, and for once in a long time our Opinions matters and it is sharp, like the edge of a sword. Irrespective of the fact that Nigerian is presently practicing Democracy, I strongly believe we are also in practice of a form of government I will call 'Opiniontocracy' that is, a government based on public opinion.
Re: Pmb: A Change That Listens by jlinkd78(m): 1:44pm On Jul 30, 2015
ok
Re: Pmb: A Change That Listens by defemidefemi(m): 2:17pm On Jul 30, 2015
just two months and the serious Nigerians are giving good testimonies to PMB good works. this is just the beginning. PMB ride on!
Re: Pmb: A Change That Listens by natas22: 2:19pm On Jul 30, 2015
Re: Pmb: A Change That Listens by Owoloku1: 2:20pm On Jul 30, 2015
I strongly believe this government has what it takes to make our country Nigeria great.
I just hope we'll give him enough time to do it

(1) (Reply)

Jew Stabbed At Least 6 People At A Gay Pride March / See What Someone Did To Oshiomole Pix On Instagram / BREAKING NEWS: Tribunal In Abuja Throws Out Apga's Petition Against Gov Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.