Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,904 members, 7,906,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 10:14 AM

Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners - Career (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (130355 Views)

Poll: Which option of Electrical Engineering do you prefer?

Electronics and Telecoms: 68% (203 votes)
Power and Machinery: 28% (84 votes)
Lecturing: 3% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / Marine Engineering Aspirants And Practitioners: Any Future? / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 6:51pm On May 27, 2010
@wallie and Ajanlekoko
you guys should not sideline us o. . .this one that you are going into plenary. . .

@jaybee
what was it supposed to do? did it work? i'm really serious about this thing o. . .i just need something realistic that the students can achieve
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by jaybee3(m): 9:38pm On May 27, 2010
go round a track.
Have u seen the robot wars tv program before?
[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMglqInb47A&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"[/flash]
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 7:31pm On May 28, 2010
@jaybee
yep, used to watch them when i was younger. so while you were in your second year y'all were able to build something that woulda competed in robot wars? do you have any material on what you guys did? i know i can google stuff up but i have so much to read now and i'm not sure i'm ready to start sifting though different websites

where's oyb? does he still visit this thread sef. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by jaybee3(m): 7:55pm On May 28, 2010
Ma guy he don tey wey i finish for uni oh. d project was in '01
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 28, 2010
netotse:

@jaybee
yep, used to watch them when i was younger. so while you were in your second year y'all were able to build something that woulda competed in robot wars? do you have any material on what you guys did? i know i can google stuff up but i have so much to read now and i'm not sure i'm ready to start sifting though different websites

where's oyb? does he still visit this thread sef. . .

wink
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:10pm On May 29, 2010
oyb:

wink

how do you suggest i go about learning autocad? i started sometime back but the tutorials i had were Mech Eng. biased so i quickly lost interest, is autocad that much of an advantage? i tried to use autocad to draw the diagrams for a transformer bay we were planning to install while i was still in shiroro but it was to clumsy(ended up jomo-ing it wiv MSword grin) isn't there i way i can get straight to using the electrical part of autocad? or can i use visio in it's place?

mennn i had one interview like this in an electrical firm, er'thing was going fine until the guy asked me if i'd ever heard of the public procurement act o, that's when i started to realise that it's not enough to know V=IR in all the languages of the globe. . .so now i'm downloading the act now o, no more interesting reading for me for a while cry
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 12:24am On May 30, 2010
i have not heard of the act sef

and i wonder how the guy expects a fresh grad to know the act
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 4:54pm On May 30, 2010
^^
cheesy cheesy
trust Naija to come up with the bizarre stuff.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 8:34pm On May 30, 2010
oyb:

i have not heard of the act sef

and i wonder how the guy expects a fresh grad to know the act

AjanleKoko:

^^
cheesy cheesy
trust Naija to come up with the bizarre stuff.

it's a company here in abj, they design and build transmission stations o, run by mostly northerners(that part gives me pause) the guys seemed friendly enough, someone i know in PHCN linked me up with them(i suspect he's on the board or something, you can never trust all these civil servants, esp PHCN senior mgmt. their way is just not pure), my answer was 'no i dont, but i can learn'

@oyb
thanks
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by dustydee: 1:41pm On Jun 03, 2010
^^^positive reply, like ur spirit
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 11:39am On Jun 04, 2010
love to se a robot war in nigeria. such contest could be organised among schools in the countries. but 4 a praticing engineers, may not have the time because may be pre occupied by companies comittments.
for us to start producing gadgets, we need a lot of moulds or casting machines
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Wallie(m): 3:49pm On Jun 11, 2010
netotse:

mennn i had one interview like this in an electrical firm, er'thing was going fine until the guy asked me if i'd ever heard of the public procurement act o, that's when i started to realise that it's not enough to know V=IR in all the languages of the globe. . .so now i'm downloading the act now o, no more interesting reading for me for a while cry

My guess is that you were not applying for an entry level position because only seasoned engineers get exposed to writing proposals.

netotse:

how do you suggest i go about learning autocad? i started sometime back but the tutorials i had were Mech Eng. biased so i quickly lost interest, is autocad that much of an advantage? i tried to use autocad to draw the diagrams for a transformer bay we were planning to install while i was still in shiroro but it was to clumsy(ended up jomo-ing it wiv MSword grin) isn't there i way i can get straight to using the electrical part of autocad? or can i use visio in it's place?

lol @ jomo-ing. Autocad is only needed when designing a new part especially if you’re worried about fitting issues. Visio is probably more than enough for your drawings.

Autocad is a very cool program especially if you’re trying to build prototype. I need to learn to use it again someday but I remembered it was hell when I had to use it in school!

Take a look at this! Autocad + 3D printing = any prototype.

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaK0Lx1arWg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash]
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lanruzy: 6:23pm On Jun 11, 2010
this goes to every one who can be of help. I'm a 400l student of one of the leading university in Nigeria. Some times last year, i thought i neeeded to complement my degree with some certifications relevant to myfield. In lieu of this i decided to write the city and guild level 3 diploma exam. the result came out annd it was alright. Now i'm looking forward to getting a placement through the help of anybody in here. i'll really appreciate if any one could be of help . thanks and God bless
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by ntj: 3:18am On Jun 12, 2010
So much being said for elect elect! smiley
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 2:27pm On Jun 22, 2010
hey ppl. . .

ok, i've started work at the electrical company in abuja, they build transmission susbstations, lines, basically er'thing power related under 132kV, it's a one man thingy, i think he once worked in PHCN but got out really early, he's doing really good.

I used to think i was a pretty decent engineer until i got here. . .lol. i know more about power in general and the nigerian power sector than the guys i met here, but i realized where i fall short: i can tell you how to generate power, what the problems of the nigerian power sector are, the different types of stations and shit, but when it comes down to the down and dirty stuff, i'm woefully deficient

i have no idea how much it costs to construct a transmission line, or a substation, or how to go about hiring labourers for work, and the guys here do that routinely, they're older than i am but we all graduated at roughly the same time sha. . .

so even though the salary is shitty(it's a typical one man company), i'm in the right place, dont plan to stay here long though

and i'm staying away from the computers so nobody gets any ideas lol. . .i want to spend as much time as possible in the field
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 2:33pm On Jun 22, 2010
Wallie:

My guess is that you were not applying for an entry level position because only seasoned engineers get exposed to writing proposals.

lol @ jomo-ing. Autocad is only needed when designing a new part especially if you’re worried about fitting issues. Visio is probably more than enough for your drawings.

Autocad is a very cool program especially if you’re trying to build prototype. I need to learn to use it again someday but I remembered it was hell when I had to use it in school!

Take a look at this! Autocad + 3D printing = any prototype.

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaK0Lx1arWg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash]

@wallie
really cool concept, i'm scared to check how much one of those'll cost!
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 2:37pm On Jun 22, 2010
netotse:

hey ppl. . .

ok, i've started work at the electrical company in abuja, they build transmission susbstations, lines, basically er'thing power related under 132kV, it's a one man thingy, i think he once worked in PHCN but got out really early, he's doing really good.

I used to think i was a pretty decent engineer until i got here. . .lol. i know more about power in general and the nigerian power sector than the guys i met here, but i realized where i fall short: i can tell you how to generate power, what the problems of the nigerian power sector are, the different types of stations and poo, but when it comes down to the down and dirty stuff, i'm woefully deficient

i have no idea how much it costs to construct a transmission line, or a substation, or how to go about hiring labourers for work, and the guys here do that routinely, they're older than i am but we all graduated at roughly the same time sha. . .

so even though the salary is shitty(it's a typical one man company), i'm in the right place, dont plan to stay here long though

and i'm staying away from the computers so nobody gets any ideas lol. . .i want to spend as much time as possible in the field

Congrats man.
We all started in shitty little places. Part of the ongoing education, I guess.
But good stuff.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by henryphyol(m): 2:45pm On Jun 22, 2010
Vacancy for BSS and RF Engineers 2 years minimum experience.
careers@htouchconsulting.com closes 30/06/2010.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Wallie(m): 3:05pm On Jun 22, 2010
@netotse - there’s nothing like learning your trade from the ground up, congrats!! The ZPrinter 650 is about $60k but I have seen a different brand for about $15k.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lolliba(f): 9:47am On Jun 24, 2010
Electrical/Electronic Engineers in the House: I already have two years experience in the power engineering sector in Nigeria and need your candid advice.

Please assist me in making a decision on these two MSc courses abroad.

I want to study a course that is relevant to the industry and guarantees easy job acquisition abroad after graduation.

I have two admissions and want to make the right choice.

1. MASc in Power Engineering at Ryerson university- Canada

Course Content:
The Power Systems Engineering and Controls undertakes research in the area of electric motor drives, solid state converters, uninterruptible power supplies, power system protection, electronic ballasts, control systems, robotics, artificial intelligence, nonlinear control, sytem modeling, and pattern recognition.

2. MSc in Power Engineering with Business at University of Strathclyde- UK

This course is skewed towards industrial application as it covers areas such as :
Power Electronics and Control of Electrical Machines
Electricity Markets and System Economics
• Instrumentation and Condition Monitoring
Elective Classes (two of the following)
• Regulation in Network Industries
• Computer Technology and Modern Programming Concepts
• Power Systems Analysis and Operation
• Protection Systems
Semester 2
Compulsory Classes
• Case Study Assignment
• Advanced Power Systems Analysis and Design
• Advanced Power System Protection
• High Voltage Technology
Elective Classes
• Power Systems Electromagnetic Compatibility
• Computer Control System Methods
• Wind Power Technology

Please, also consider job availibility in UK & Canada when helping me make this decision.

Your urgent reply will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Foxflames: 10:17pm On Jun 24, 2010
hello ppl,

I need advise abeg,

I am confused on what theme to specialize in. I have three choices at the moment: Microelectronics, Power and control, Communications.

Do you know companies in Nigeria that deals with microelectronics?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 11:59pm On Jun 24, 2010
^^
Last two posters, read the thread from the beginning.
Your questions will surely be answered.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 6:55pm On Jun 25, 2010
lolliba:

Electrical/Electronic Engineers in the House: I already have two years experience in the power engineering sector in Nigeria and need your candid advice.

Please assist me in making a decision on these two MSc courses abroad.

I want to study a course that is relevant to the industry and guarantees easy job acquisition abroad after graduation.

I have two admissions and want to make the right choice.

1. MASc in Power Engineering at Ryerson university- Canada

Course Content:
The Power Systems Engineering and Controls undertakes research in the area of electric motor drives, solid state converters, uninterruptible power supplies, power system protection, electronic ballasts, control systems, robotics, artificial intelligence, nonlinear control, sytem modeling, and pattern recognition.

2. MSc in Power Engineering with Business at University of Strathclyde- UK

This course is skewed towards industrial application as it covers areas such as :
Power Electronics and Control of Electrical Machines
Electricity Markets and System Economics
• Instrumentation and Condition Monitoring
Elective Classes (two of the following)
• Regulation in Network Industries
• Computer Technology and Modern Programming Concepts
• Power Systems Analysis and Operation
• Protection Systems
Semester 2
Compulsory Classes
• Case Study Assignment
• Advanced Power Systems Analysis and Design
• Advanced Power System Protection
• High Voltage Technology
Elective Classes
• Power Systems Electromagnetic Compatibility
• Computer Control System Methods
• Wind Power Technology

Please, also consider job availibility in UK & Canada when helping me make this decision.

Your urgent reply will be appreciated.

Thanks.

where's your experience been? just curious. . .

i would pick strathclyde if i were you, i actually applied, missed the deadline for this year, since you're a girl(no offence) i dont think you'd be into the hard stuff, which leaves regulation and ish. . .

you've really piqued my curiousity, a girl with two years power experience, i'm salivating grin. . .seriously sha. . .where and what's your experience been?

@foxflames
there's a company that does a bit of microcontroller stuff in naija, i'll find out the name and come and paste it here. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Wallie(m): 7:12pm On Jun 25, 2010
netotse:

you've really piqued my curiousity, a girl with two years power experience, i'm salivating grin. . .seriously sha. . .where and what's your experience been?

lol, female engineers are not as common but I have two in my family! One has her bachelors and masters in electrical engineering, and another masters in engineering management. The other switched fields to a medical line after her first bachelors in EE.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 8:33am On Jun 29, 2010
^^
Were your folks in the engineering profession?
My wife's an engineer, her older sister's an engineer, her younger brother is an engineer. Primarily because their dad is an engineer as well.

My own folks were arty types though. We did manage to produce a PhD in physio, and an engineer (me). The rest of my siblings went the arty route as well.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Wallie(m): 2:57pm On Jun 29, 2010
^^ No, my parents weren't engineers. We didn't even know any engineers growing up but I've always been a tinkerer and my dad encouraged me. As a kid, I had electrical engineering tool kit but didn’t do much with it because my knowledge was lacking and there were no hobby shops to take advantage of.

As a teenager, my dad tried to get me to learn electronics from an electrician during the summer holidays but I refused to go because girls might think it wasn’t cool:-) So till today, I can’t solder worth a dime if my life depended on it.

But I’m still a tinkerer especially if I can find some Do-It-Yourself instructions on the internet. My cars end up suffering the most from my mechanical skills grin
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 5:15pm On Jun 29, 2010
^^
LOL.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:30pm On Jun 29, 2010
Wallie:

lol, female engineers are not as common but I have two in my family! One has her bachelors and masters in electrical engineering, and another masters in engineering management. The other switched fields to a medical line after her first bachelors in EE.

AjanleKoko:

^^
Were your folks in the engineering profession?
My wife's an engineer, her older sister's an engineer, her younger brother is an engineer. Primarily because their dad is an engineer as well.

My own folks were arty types though. We did manage to produce a PhD in physio, and an engineer (me). The rest of my siblings went the arty route as well.

i know a babe(a very fine one at that!) that's a 3rd generation engineer o. . .grandfather -engineer, mother and sibling - engineering(i think she's even a FNSE), she and her younger brother - engineering there's one left in primary school sha. . .if he becomes an engineer i'll stop talking to her! as for me, i'm the only engineer in my family. . .thankfully o!

funny enough, growing up i never figured i'd study engineering, always wanted to be a judoka, a SAS commando, a neurosurgeon, a NBA all-star, a reclusive software billionare and a million other things. . .*sigh*

@wallie
you're not the only one that cant solder o. . .i've tried learning but it's still a hit-and-miss thing for me. . .to my eternal shame
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 9:53am On Jun 30, 2010
netotse:

i know a babe(a very fine one at that!) that's a 3rd generation engineer o. . .grandfather -engineer, mother and sibling - engineering(i think she's even a FNSE), she and her younger brother - engineering there's one left in primary school sha. . .if he becomes an engineer i'll stop talking to her! as for me, i'm the only engineer in my family. . .thankfully o!

who be the FNSE? The babe or her mom?

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by blakky97(m): 3:49pm On Jun 30, 2010
gd day every one. im an electrical student in uniben. im often beaten when i see students who have the knowledge of electrical design. they dominate every where we go. im interested in learning, i was referred 2 a book- 306 circuits. all efforts 2 lay my hands on that book has proved abortive. who knows of a place where i can go 2 get updated preactically? ill appreciate it. 10x
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by blakky97(m): 3:53pm On Jun 30, 2010
i forgot to add the futile efforts to domnload it
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:58pm On Jun 30, 2010
AjanleKoko:

who be the FNSE? The babe or her mom?
it's the mother, when no be winch, how small pikin wan become FNSE? mumsie has a PhD in chem eng. . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (35) (Reply)

Ghanaian Nurse Who Twerked In Her Uniform Declared Wanted By Nurses Association / Your Thoughts On Nigerian Banks Salaries 2021 / About The ICAN/ATS Examinations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.