Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,106 members, 7,890,676 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:04 PM

FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) (1809 Views)

Who Is Nigerias" Greatest Female Footballer: Mercy Or Perpetual? / Nojim Maiyegun Nigerias 1st Ever Olympic Medalist Who Is Blind &Lives In Austria / Sunday Oliseh Strikes Pose With His Boys After Today's Training Session In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by robosky02(m): 9:11pm On Aug 03, 2015
Nigeria made Olympic football history by becoming the first African and non-European and South American team to win the gold medal. While the football tournament remained primarily an Under-23 competition, each of the 16 competing countries were allowed to use as many as three overage players in a compromise between FIFA and the International Olympic Committee.

The Nigerians, whom many observers predicted would be the first African side to win a World Cup, showed so much promise and expectations over the previous decade. They won the 1985 Under-16 World Tournament and finished second in 1987. They took third and second, respectively, at the 1985 and 1989 World Youth Championships. But they could never break the final barrier at the higher levels.

Nigeria, coached by Dutchman Johannes Bonfrere, started their path to the final with a 1-0 victory over Hungary and a 2-0 win over Japan before completing the first round with a 1-0 loss to Brazil. The Africans then shut down Mexico and goalkeeper Jorge Campos, 2-0, in the quarter-finals to set up a pair of amazing matches.
Losing in the semi-finals to a favoured Brazilian side that boasted Bebeto, Ronaldo and Rivaldo, 3-1, Nigeria finally woke up in the 78th minute as Victor Ikpeba scored from 20 meters. As time was running out, captain Nwankwo Kanu took center stage, scoring in a scramble in front of the goal in the final minute to equalize. With extra-time barely three minutes out, Kanu fired home the game-winner from 16 meters to complete one of the great comebacks of international football history and in what many observers felt was the greatest Olympic match ever played.

As if trying to top themselves, the Nigerians then staged another miraculous comeback against Argentina in the gold-medal match in front of 86,117 spectators in the Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia.

The Argentins held a 2-1 advantage on goals by Claudio Lopez (third minute) and Hernan Crespo (tournament-best sixth goal on a penalty kick in the 50th minute) before the Nigerians equalized on Daniel Amokachi's shot in the 74th minute. With a minute remaining, Emmanuel Amunike pulled off some 11th-hour heroics as he took advantage of a botched offside trap and beat goalkeeper Pablo Cavallero from point-blank range for the winning goal in a 3-2 triumph. "I guarantee you that as I talk to you now, everyone in Africa is celebrating," forward Sunday Oliseh said. "There is no sleeping tonight. Everyone will be happy. This is for all the African countries."

Besides Nigeria, this competition had a number of surprises. Italy, coached by Cesare Maldini, crashed out of the tournament after a disastrous first round. Those results and disappointing performances eventually cost Maldini his job.

Unfancied Japan stunned Brazil in the opening round, 1-0. During a span of several minutes after their 1-1 draw with Mexico, Ghana went through agony and ectasy. They left the field with sullen faces, thinking they had failed to qualify for the quarter-finals. But their faces turned to smiles when Mexican coach Bora Milutinovic told them they had made it.

Brazil, who had won four World Cup crowns but never the Olympic gold, were forced to settle for a bronze medal. The South Americans, spurred by Bebeto's three goals, strolled to a 5-0 win over Portugual in the third-place match.

Only two years after a successful World Cup, the Olympic Football Tournament proved to be popular in the USA, as it was during the 1984 Summer Games. A total attendance of 1,364,142 witnessed the 32 matches, most games paired as double-headers with the first Women's

Olympic Tournament.
Quick Facts Teams: 16
When: 20 July 1996 to 03 August 1996
Final: 03 August 1996
Matches: 32
Goals Scored: 90 (average 2.8 per match)
Attendance: 1223769 (average 38242)
Atlanta 1996 Winners Winner: Nigeria
Runners-Up: Argentina
Third: Brazil
Fourth: Portugal
Top Scorers: BEBETO (BRA)
FIFA Fair Play award: Argentina

http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/mensolympic/atlanta1996/index.html

Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by INTROVERT(f): 9:11pm On Aug 03, 2015
cool
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by mecuzee(m): 9:11pm On Aug 03, 2015
Proudly Nigerian!
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by robosky02(m): 9:12pm On Aug 03, 2015
cc:Lalasticlala

this is the moment Nigeria cheerish most

Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by Whizzcute(m): 9:14pm On Aug 03, 2015
When Men were Men..
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by robosky02(m): 9:15pm On Aug 03, 2015
the team that made Nigeria proud on that faithful day 3rd august 1996:

Emmanuel Babayaro
Celestine Babayaro
Taribo West
Nwankwo Kanu
Uche Okechukwu
Emmanuel Amuneke
Tijani Babangida
Wilson Oruma
Teslim Fatusi
Jay-Jay Okocha
Victor Ikpeba
Abiodun Obafemi
Garba Lawal
Daniel Amokachi
Sunday Oliseh
Kingsley Obiekwu
Uche F Akon
Mobi Oparaku
Dosu Joseph

if you ask me they wee greater than class 1994

1 Like

Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by Heromaniaa: 9:25pm On Aug 03, 2015
The glorious days of our football.
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by Olabang(m): 9:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
Op could u pls move dis to front page
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by nerodenero: 9:32pm On Aug 03, 2015
I remember watching some of these games very early in the morning. On one occasion, NEPA struck in their usual fashion and there are no viewing centres then and aside this, it was around 1 or 2 am.

A neighbour brought out his television and his generator so that we could watch. The crowd was much, Dream Team dazzled. They played with high intensity with good individual skills. When they eventually scored against one of the teams then which I can't remember now, out of excitement I hogged a married woman whose husband was right beside her. It was when I saw the countenance of the man beside her that I knew I had crossed my boundary. I switched position thereafter.

This was the era Nigerians enjoyed football. We were so good that no team dare take us for granted. You need not pray before watching our football. If we will lose, we would lose gallantly. I pray that time comes again.

For now, we lack good players, the reason we have failed in recent times. The Dream Team VI and the Iheanacho clique looks promising. Who knows, that era of good football might just come sooner than expected.
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by pelvicky(m): 9:32pm On Aug 03, 2015
But they always say that FIFA=football isn't for Africa
wetin concern me be that.... 2017 AFCON trophy 2018 World cup quarter/semi final for super eagles.
Failure to do this= bringbackourkeshi
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by robosky02(m): 9:43pm On Aug 03, 2015
Olabang:

cc: lalasticlala
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by robosky02(m): 10:00pm On Aug 03, 2015
jo bonfrere did the unusual and became a hero

Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by Tolexander: 10:01pm On Aug 03, 2015
1st of August picture of Kanu brought me back to that glorious tournament.

Dream team 2 really tried in the tournament.
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by fatdon2(m): 10:07pm On Aug 03, 2015
The best squad in nigerian football.
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 03, 2015
I can't forget the match, powered my 14inches Tokunboh colored TV with car battery then... grin
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by Icon4s(m): 10:34pm On Aug 03, 2015
Olabang:

If na Op dey move topic to front page every topic go dey front page grin
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by lexyman(m): 10:52pm On Aug 03, 2015
"The day mid-night turned mid-day " we covered so many distance that night dancing and singing .
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 04, 2015
ok. Well done fifa
Re: FIFA Remember Nigerias' Victory At Atlanta'96 (19 Years After Today) by LeSudAfricaine: 11:57pm On Aug 06, 2015
This team was fantastic

(1) (Reply)

Every Nigerian Football Fan Must See This Article And Stop Slating Mikel / Join Me In My 1.50 Odds 14 Days Journey / Russia 2018 Authentic World Cup Jerseys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.