Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,930 members, 7,872,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 06:19 AM

Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? (1182 Views)

::: Why Are Church People NOT Practising This ? / Why Are Church Leaders Not Declaring Account To Members? / Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by dgreatrock(m): 5:39pm On Mar 19, 2009
i am very worried with some things which i have observed lately about the church.
it is about the various institutions which we have in the church namely hospitals, schools (Universities, kg, primary and colleges), etc. i discovered that they are quite expensive and beyond the reach of the less wealthy members of the church.

what is the cause, how can we make it cheaper for all to benefit from? please share your views.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by manmustwac(m): 6:40pm On Mar 19, 2009
Their not charity institutions but business institutions but your brainwashed soul will never notice that.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by dgreatrock(m): 11:32am On Mar 20, 2009
It is not a charity org. but it should have some considerations for the members.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by KunleOshob(m): 3:22pm On Mar 20, 2009
dgreatrock:

It is not a charity org. but it should have some considerations for the members.
You are very wrong here, the church was ordained by christ to be a charitable institution and the early church founded by the apostles was mostly involved in charitable acts. But today our pastors and preachers have turned it into a business used to extort and profit from the ignorance of their members. Also remember that the missionary schools set up by white missionaries that brought christianity to Nigeria were either free or highly subsidized. A lot of our parents and grand parents benefited from this charity of the church and by extension we are benefitting today. But our own people are using church money to start money spinning schools and hospitals for profit motives and the profit of course goes to the ______
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by dgreatrock(m): 5:27pm On Mar 23, 2009
i mean they might have established these institutions as a financial investment. But at that we cannot forget that the church exists, first to bring sinners to Christ.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by tarezulu(m): 9:57pm On Mar 23, 2009
Its very sad because most of these people got educated through the same system and never paid any money or almost nothing as cost. Just shows what they actually are even if a lot of people will never agree. The churches are failling by the day and we see it. We really have to find the church within us. Thats the only way, but i guess thats a lot to ask these days.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by SegzyJoe(m): 8:18am On Mar 25, 2009
@hypocrites
would you have lectured for free in a church owned universities if you re contracted or would you have collected below the minimum salary standard in the sector because you re christian? If the aim of church establishing universities is to improve quality of education, then quality does not come at a price? or do church have resources like government to fund universities without students pay for it? sometimes people just shut their eyes to reason just to criticize the church for anything and everything.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by KunleOshob(m): 10:47am On Mar 25, 2009
@segzyjoe
Do you have any idea what a church is meant to be
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by dgreatrock(m): 10:07am On Mar 26, 2009
SegzyJoe:

@hypocrites
would you have lectured for free in a church owned universities if you re contracted or would you have collected below the minimum salary standard in the sector because you re christian? If the aim of church establishing universities is to improve quality of education, then quality does not come at a price? or do church have resources like government to fund universities without students pay for it? sometimes people just shut their eyes to reason just to criticize the church for anything and everything.

the missionaries gave us education health et al. how much did we pay then?
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by abuja4real: 12:20pm On Mar 26, 2009
Oyibo bring CHRISTANITY TO AFRICA THEM INCLUDE THE BEST SCHOOLS FOR ANYONE WILLING COULD ATTEND
SOME OF THOSE SCHOOLS ARE STILL HERE TODAY
SAINT , GRAMMER SCHOOL ETC
THEY ADDED HOSPITALS AS WELL.

AFRICAN TAKE OVER THE GOSPEL AND
BRING SCHOOL WEY ONLY THEY RICH CAN AFFORD.

WHAT IS GOING ON!
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by blacksta(m): 1:47pm On Mar 26, 2009
abuja4real:

Oyibo bring CHRISTANITY TO AFRICA THEM INCLUDE THE BEST SCHOOLS FOR ANYONE WILLING COULD ATTEND
SOME OF THOSE SCHOOLS ARE STILL HERE TODAY
SAINT , GRAMMER SCHOOL ETC
THEY ADDED HOSPITALS AS WELL.

AFRICAN TAKE OVER THE GOSPEL AND
BRING SCHOOL WEY ONLY THEY RICH CAN AFFORD.

WHAT IS GOING ON!

lol

Isnt that not misplaced priorites
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by Horus(m): 2:16pm On Mar 26, 2009
Church institutions are business institutions. For them,Money is the concern at hand, not the salvation of your soul.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by Epiphany(m): 4:34pm On Mar 26, 2009
dgreatrock:

the missionaries gave us education health et al. how much did we pay then?

True, very very true. When i think of all the Baptist, Catholic, Methodist Schools and Hospitals of old, i wonder how much they actually charged for their services? Are those schools not where a lot of our big men and women attended in those days (for almost no money), when money was not easy to come by (i even suspect many of those business church CEO's who are establishing expensive schools today where educated in some of these schools). i wonder how much people Obj and MKO (they claim they grew up in poverty) paid when they attended Baptist Boys school Abeokuta.

It beats me these days when i see all these new 'church' universities charging an arm and a leg for fees, accomodation etc. We are not saying that education should be made cheap, but please, it should not be solely for the rich only.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by SegzyJoe(m): 2:09pm On Mar 27, 2009
@Kunleoshob
@segzyjoe
Do you have any idea what a church is meant to be

perhaps I should tell you if you don't seem to know. the church is a serious business and there is no room for unprofitable servant, if you know what it takes to run a quality university, you would not expect it to be charity.

Besides most church that owned Universities give scholarships to the church members. I have people in RCCG and Winners on scholarship in these unis being paid for by the church, so church unis are not charity, each penny is to be accounted for and managed properly. Again, no room for unprofitable servant inGod's kingdom.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 27, 2009
SegzyJoe:

perhaps I should tell you if you don't seem to know. the church is a serious business and there is no room for unprofitable servant, if you know what it takes to run a quality university, you would not expect it to be charity.

Besides most church that owned Universities give scholarships to the church members. I have people in RCCG and Winners on scholarship in these unis being paid for by the church, so church unis are not charity, each penny is to be accounted for and managed properly. Again, no room for unprofitable servant inGod's kingdom.

Oh so shld churches now start paying taxes then?
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by dgreatrock(m): 2:07pm On Mar 28, 2009
SegzyJoe:

Do you have any idea what a church is meant to be[/b]

How many are being given scholarships? What is a scholarship to two persons when you have over a million members?
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by abuja4real: 4:14pm On Apr 01, 2009
flipping crooks
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by dgreatrock(m): 4:31pm On Apr 26, 2009
How about em givin more considerations to their members for a start!
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by bawomolo(m): 4:34pm On Apr 26, 2009
hmm no room for unprofitable servants in God kingdom? that sounds more like donald trump's kingdom.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 26, 2009
Also remember that the missionary schools set up by white missionaries that brought christianity to Nigeria were either free or highly subsidized.

Yeah,  Church Institutions Expensive? why??

Missionary institutions are more cheaper,

I attended ST. FINBARR'S COLLEGE, AKOKA,  MISSIONARY SCHOOL!! And I didn't pay 1 Kobo for good 6 years,  damn! why can't the church also do this,

I smell shit here
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by rayray2828(m): 7:16pm On Apr 26, 2009
its a very interesting and sensitive thread, am a member of rccg and i do not believe in criticising the spirituality of anyone, even men of God,
church institutions r expensive,infact too expensive, this gives a negative sign to non christians,could make other non christian institutions increase thier prices which would have been the other way round if it was cheap,would increase the class divide in the society and a lot of things i cant think about now, a lot of good things would come out from those institutions being cheap, like winning more souls and getting more people educated which would inturn be indebted to them e.t.c and no one should say they cannot afford it,pls,

men of God are good men interms of spirituality as far as am concerned, but they always get it wrong when it comes to finances
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by rayray2828(m): 7:30pm On Apr 26, 2009
when it comes to this topic i always give an example of the woman roasting corn on the side of the street under the hot sun, going to church on sunday and putting money in church like everyone else,but when it comes to enjoying the services example school provided by that church shes no where to be found, instead this other members and none members of the church who can afford to spend even more money will now be the ultimate beneficiaries, mmmmmmmmmm
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by dgreatrock(m): 8:52pm On Apr 26, 2009
@Ray
you get my point, where does the poor get the benefit of the kingdom when the church's services is far beyond their reach?
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by solosimple(m): 1:02pm On Apr 27, 2009
It's very pathetic!
And by the way, whose money went into the establishment of those schools?
The Church money or[i], [/i]
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by debosky(m): 1:11pm On Apr 27, 2009
rayray2828:

when it comes to this topic i always give an example of the woman roasting corn on the side of the street under the hot sun, going to church on sunday and putting money in church like everyone else,but when it comes to enjoying the services example school provided by that church shes no where to be found, instead this other members and none members of the church who can afford to spend even more money will now be the ultimate beneficiaries, mmmmmmmmmm
Your example is highly oblique and cannot be used as a reasonable measure. What about the person who donated 1m to the church? Is he then entitled to sit on more comfortable seats or to sit on 200 seats because of a higher contribution than the corn roaster who donated perhaps 5,000 in a year?

Is the church now a 'pay as you go' institution that whatever you give serves as a direct indicator of your benefits from the Church?

My take on the educational matter is this: The church CANNOT afford to run a QUALITY educational institution like a University on charity alone - the costs are just too high. The churches aim to do two things - provide a QUALITY SERVICE (which will require payment) while assisting some indigent students to attend and using this medium to raise God fearing and morally upright students.

There are more pressing things for church funds to be used for rather than sponsoring all the church members through it's university. Educational institutions cost a lot of money to run - let those who can pay do so, and let the church find a means of subsidising or sponsoring indigent folk within their congregations to attend.

I don't subscribe to this theory that once you support a vision or an enterprise, you must directly benefit from it.

Opening free/subsidised primary or secondary schools is one thing, but University education is on a different pedestal.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by rayray2828(m): 2:04pm On Apr 27, 2009
@debosky
sustainability of any business enterprise needs constant injection of money and good management but most of all "purpose", the purpose of this institutions example universities are not church like, now this is what i mean, churches are meant to provide things for people who are not able to get those things themselves, building a universityis not the responsibility of a church unless it aims to provide education for those who are not able to get them, now providing expensive education for those who can afford them is a misplaced priority as long as the church is concerned,why go into it in the first place, my example of the woman roasting corn is a good example because the underlining point there is the "value" of the amount droped and not in the amount itself, 1 million to a rich man might have the same value as 10 000 or less to another individual, just try and understand what i mean, as a church u try to win people to the kingdom not only by preaching physicaly but also by showing good gestures,charitable gestures and so on
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by KunleOshob(m): 2:16pm On Apr 27, 2009
@ray
very well spoken written.
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by dgreatrock(m): 2:37pm On Apr 29, 2009
shocked
Re: Why Are Church Institutions Expensive? by solosimple(m): 3:47pm On Apr 29, 2009
@ray
very well spoken written.

YES!

(1) (Reply)

A Question To Jehovah Witneses In The House / Why Do Some Christians Worship Their Pastors Like Demigods? / Rest In Peace Your Lordship Vincent Valentine Egwuchukwu Ezeonyia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.