Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,875 members, 7,876,324 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:52 PM

Security Alert!!! Watchout For Hoodlums On The Apongbon Stretch Of Eko Bridge - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Security Alert!!! Watchout For Hoodlums On The Apongbon Stretch Of Eko Bridge (17592 Views)

"I Was Mercilessly Slapped And Robbed On The Eko Bridge" - Nigerian Lady / Lady Robbed & Stabbed Multiple Times While Driving Along Apongbon, Lagos / Update on the armed robbery attack on Eko Bridge this morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Security Alert!!! Watchout For Hoodlums On The Apongbon Stretch Of Eko Bridge by cardoctor(m): 3:36am On Aug 06, 2015
Na today? That place has always been a bad spot since 1914.

1 Like

Re: Security Alert!!! Watchout For Hoodlums On The Apongbon Stretch Of Eko Bridge by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:29am On Aug 06, 2015
I was robbed at that exact spot last year September on my way from work.

Luckily for me my new company has a staff bus that takes the Osborne Road route to avoid stories that touch.

If you have any way of avoiding that spot please do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Alert!!! Watchout For Hoodlums On The Apongbon Stretch Of Eko Bridge by Seanpoe(m): 11:45am On Aug 06, 2015
My experience is on the ramp descending from Lagos Ibadan express way into Ojota.

I was driving with my wife around 8pm on a Saturday night in very slow moving traffic.

The next thing i heard was a synchronized smashing of both front windows (loud poom!)

Instincts took over and i veered left climbing the culvert (thank God i drive an SUV), passed about 3 cars and rejoined in front.

Thy scampered off after that so did not get anything from us but we were left with the bill to replace both windows (driver and passenger sides).

I have heard a lot about these 2 trouble spots (Apogbon and the Ojota Ramp), i would implore that the government station law enforcement agents there.

I am sure it won't take much to catch these hoodlums.

I thank God we only sustained a few bruises from the glass that shattered on us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Security Alert!!! Watchout For Hoodlums On The Apongbon Stretch Of Eko Bridge by Mapletraks: 5:37pm On Aug 06, 2015
Iluv:
I aim to create awareness about the state of insecurity on our roads at night, especially around traffic hot spots.

I was robbed around some weeks ago on the EKO bridge. Precisely around the spot where the bridge is directly opposite UBA head office. It is worthy to state here that the stretch of the bridge immediately after the down-link leading to Marina till you get to Apongbon is practically not safe while you drive. I hope you all understand my description of the trouble spot here.‎

My story: That fateful evening around 8pm, I was driving home from work and it is normal to experience traffic on the EKO bridge almost from around the CMS part of the bridge till you get past Apongbon(usually on bad traffic days).

I had a female passenger beside me and unfortunately for me, I was low on fuel and decided to wind down the windows both on my side and the passenger side. I only put it down halfway.  I was also hungry and decided to purchase bottled water so I can use that to hold on till I get home. I asked my companion to bring out #100 naira from my wallet which she did and we waded slowly through the traffic looking out for pure water seller.

I was already around that troubled spot, which practically for those familiar with this route, you would find less of hawkers. The hawkers are mostly selling before and around the down-link to marina. 

Lo and behold I noticed 3 guys, 2 on my side of the road and 1 on the other side. What struck my alertness was that they were not holding any items to hawk and I wondered what they were doing at that part of the bridge. Almost the same instant I was wondering, one of them pointed towards my car and they all raced down to me and started shouting "Bring the money, your phone". I replied them "which money" only to look at my companion and seeing she was holding the #100 naira and her phone. As a security conscious person, I have always advised not to have phones displayed while driving at night. But as fate would have it, we were caught off guard.

One of the guys had his hand around his waist acting like he was going to pull out a gun, the traffic was at a stand still and the had put their hands over my glass. The thief on the passenger side managed to collect the #100naira while they were still screaming for me to bring phones. Fortunately for me, traffic eased and the driver of the car beside me was carried away observing what was hapening, immediately I drove right into the space with the intention of bashing right into the car infront. I didn't eventually bash the car in front and had to wind up my glasses while on high alert if those guys would come back. They never did and I lost only #100naira to them. 

This encounter happened within a 30seconds time frame. I realized if they had a gun, they wouldn't hesitate to bring it out, that's what gave me the courage to drive off.‎

The following day I did not see them, but after about 3weeks of studying that route on my way home, I have discovered a pattern for their activities.

My people be highly conscious of mostly 3 guys around that stretch of the bridge. Sometimes they seat on the bridge side while one other would be walking aimlessly along the bridge looking for cars that have their windows down. The make signs across to each other if that one finds a potential victim and they would all rush to the car.

I also noticed they are off some days, like a day in between times I saw them and I suspect they take a break following a successful attempt at robbing people, maybe to sell stolen items and they are back after that day.

To notice these guys, just watch out for individuals that don't have any items to hawk walking around and crossing between traffic on the bridge aimlessly. Honestly I have a very bad plan for them on a good day. I could have lost more than what they took.‎

This is a call to security agencies especially the Police RRS. There is need to station RRS bike patrols at that part of the bridge.

The white car in the image below is at the tip of the down-link to Marina. This is a picture of the troubled area to help your imagination.

Thanks and please share your stories for enlightenment and also propose solutions for security.

Cc ishilove lalasticlala

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks to the OP and everyone who shared
his/her encounters with these criminals
along the Marina/Apongbon bridge axis. smiley

What I observed right up to the 3rd page is
that up to 7 users of Nairaland have posted
there encounters with the criminals BUT
NON of you mentioned ever reporting this
issue to the Police Headquarters in Lagos or
the office of the Lagos Commisioner of
Police - past or current. These Senior officers
will take immediate action on the exact
crime spots.

I visit Nigeria on regular basis and still have
extended family members in Nigeria - so I
have to make my useful/functional post here
for the benefit of all.

In addition to the Lagos Governor has to be
directly informed about these black spots
and the sense of urgency involved before
we lose lives.

Last but NOT least, I'm aware that Lagos
State publishes a magazine called
LAGOS INDICATOR where the direct phone
numbers and emails of BRF and goverment
officials in Lagos State, the Commisioner
of Police, and emergency numbers were
published.

Google Lagos Indicator magazine to get
more info on the free magazine, and please
the print media especially should be informed
about this so that those gangsters who are
usually under the influence of hard drugs
are put behind the curtain where they belong!

PS: More illumination with powerful street lights
will deter these criminals. Those caught
should be well punished, while rehabilitating
them at the same time, knowing full well that
7 out of 10 crimes are commited by REPEAT
offenders in Nigeria based on statistical
data.
Re: Security Alert!!! Watchout For Hoodlums On The Apongbon Stretch Of Eko Bridge by nikkygal(f): 7:44am On Aug 08, 2015
Ishilove
Lalasticlala
Seun

Why is this informative thread not on front page? We need the security agencies to step up and need as much publicity as it can get.

Please do the needful.
Re: Security Alert!!! Watchout For Hoodlums On The Apongbon Stretch Of Eko Bridge by suenoyi: 2:54pm On Nov 10, 2015
A product is currently being developed to reduce the number of car glass break-in experienced in Nigeria. click on this link to give your opinions on the product.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KrDpZ7BC4qAHtdoesMSViOeBP43PcjLEYJzOGxXnXZo/viewform?usp=send_form

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EFCC Arraigns Native Doctor For Possession Of Fake Dollars (photo) / Pigs Kill Abandoned Twins In Nasarawa / Native Doctors Arrested For Hiring Assassins, Slicing Off Victim’s Organs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.