Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,821 members, 7,945,631 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 09:34 PM

Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast (857 Views)

Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? / Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / I'm About To Marry An 'Outcast' (Osu) Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by mezdim: 10:10am On Mar 20, 2009
what is the crime wit an outcast, 'osu", well, am not 1 but an enemy jos told a prospective suitor that am an out cast,and d guy turn his back at me,Gud n fine, i am not an outcast,wat does it entails,watz the crime,well i dont know alot dat,so it didnt boda me,i hva 2 sisters,they are married,their husby came 2 ask afta them secretly in d villa,wateva they heard,didnt change their intention for their luv,cud it b that these men were also told that we are outcast nd they went ahead marryin  d gals,now they are all livin happily.well i want 2 no the crime of an outcast in in d society,me i fil d wold has change 4 good,

to the guyz:a woman u dated for 2,3 yrs nd onwads and u ar redy 2 marry her nw,nd all of a sunden u were told shes an outcast,wat wil u do.
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by CrazyMan(m): 10:35am On Mar 20, 2009
They don’t exist anymore in Ibo land.

Most communities have call for the scrap; they have no offence if that’s what you want to know.

Osu’s or outcasts are people who wondered into other villages those days, and unfortunately form them, they were captured, caged and asked to serve their gods.

Most of them were asked to take care of shrines, serve goddess, work as slaves and other shameful things; they were given marks on their foreheads those days and driven away from the community. People who see them keep away from them, and if you’re seen talking to anyone of them, you would be regarded as an outcast.

But the good news is that they don’t exist anymore; anyone caught calling someone and Osu would be seriously dealt with.

At least that’s what we’re made to believe.
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by Ben13: 10:47am On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by CrazyMan(m): 10:51am On Mar 20, 2009
Going drunk again?
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by Ben13: 10:54am On Mar 20, 2009
the poster right?
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by JJYOU: 11:00am On Mar 20, 2009
sadly this is still going going on this day age.
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by fantacie(f): 11:20am On Mar 20, 2009
they have no crime, infact that nonsense should be abolished. how can a person grow up only to hear one stupid story that says he/she is an outcast, something she has no knowledge of. it is really not fair and people should put a stop to that.

1 Like

Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by mezdim: 2:31pm On Mar 20, 2009
people, what do you think?do our parents com to NL nd in d romance forum 2 hear uo deliberate on issues?well i use to tink that mayb the osus dont make gud wives,reproduce nd other vice,well only Jah will save us
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by JJYOU: 2:34pm On Mar 20, 2009
there is a nollywood film addressing this.  an old man refused his son marrying an osu girl. he fell sick  the osu girls blood was his only match.  he accepted an osu blood. his kids were shocked
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by yme1(f): 2:36pm On Mar 20, 2009
No crime o, they are human like everyone now
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by ariblaze(m): 3:02pm On Mar 20, 2009
life is very cruel

this thread sparked a debate in my office

which spanned for a few minutes today

the osu thingy still exists,they might not be openly

discriminated against but make no mistakes they are discriminated against

a typical ibo person, with roots in the village considers it an abomination to marry an osu

no matter how rich or successful the osu is, i hear its better to be poor than an osu in ibo land

and honestly this in 2009, breaks my heart
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by luvinhubby(m): 12:06pm On Mar 23, 2009
An osu also can probably be one that ran to an idol for protection back in the days when there was no police and the "strong and rich" were stealing and selling the weaker ones as slaves to slave dealers, hence some choose to run to idols for safety, `cos either way, sold as slave and protected by idol, you would still be an osu. But candidly speaking, Christianity has done a lot to drastically reduce that in ibo land AND WITH TIME, IT WILL SURELY BE DEALT AWAY WITH. The increase in the knowledge of God is increasing daily subdueing such primitive practices.

Jesus is Lord
Re: Watz Is The Crime Of An Outcast by ChinenyeN(m): 12:28pm On Mar 23, 2009
This should be merged into the other Osu topic.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Free Give Group - Giving And Getting Stuff For Free In Your Own Towns / Pastor W.f. Kumuyi Declear One Day Fasting And Prayer 4 Jos & Nigeria In General / An Angry & Frustrated Society:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.