Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,122 members, 7,890,738 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 07:11 PM

Nigerian Music Industry:is It The Psyche Or The Choice Of The Listening Audience - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian Music Industry:is It The Psyche Or The Choice Of The Listening Audience (338 Views)

Dr Sid Slams Fan Who Queried His Choice Of Hairstyle / “stop Listening To Nigerian Music” – Huddah Monroe Tells Other African Countries / The Snakes Sound Sultan Sees When He Looks At The Nigerian Music Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Music Industry:is It The Psyche Or The Choice Of The Listening Audience by toyoe49: 2:05pm On Aug 06, 2015
With artiste’s rate ranging between six and seven figures, international collaborations and even endorsements from prominent international brands, it is indeed safe to say the Nigerian Music Industry is growing. But then what is growth in music without a stem from the depth of lyrics.

madmusicOver these recent years, we have seen Nigerian artiste move from deep stirring and emotive lyrics to some not just vulgar but repetitive lyrics, yet making amazing and record breaking sales.

It is hard to ignore the fact that music in Nigeria today has moved from pretty simple lyrics to words that you will never find in any dictionary existing or yet to exist.

Please how do you explain the meaning of Olamide’s “Shakiti Bobo” or “Sneh”? having it in mind that these tracks dropped back to back. Kindly take a moment to resound Wizkid’s ‘In My Bed’

…i want your body sleeping in my bed e
you got me going crazy
oh girl, i can’t explain it
your body so insane
oh girl, i can’t replace you
you gat me going crazy
ohh girl, i can’t explain it
your body so insane
ohh girl, i can’t replace you…

How funny and disconnecting is it to suddenly accompany such sensual lyrics with the names of politicians, thugs and streets huh?

Not forgetting the Marvins; a group of six, coming up with “Dorobucci” without a clear definition of the word. While pondering on that, what was “Peteru” really doing in the Skuki song? Ever asked yourself one thing you can possibly pick out of Konga’s debut song “Jasi Konga” which happens to be one of the pioneering tracks of these psychotic lyrical trends.

Now with these type of lyrics that are being dished out today by Nigerian artistes, it would be pretty harder than ever for a newer artiste to get noticed without following up on this same trend.

The big question is; What has changed in the Nigerian Music scene? Is it the psyche or the choice of the listening audience?

source: http://ghemedia.com/the-nigerian-music-industry-is-it-the-psyche-or-the-choice-of-the-listening-audience/

(1) (Reply)

AMAZING!!!!! Facts You Never Knew, Part 2 / Shakitibobo Mixtape / NDI & USAID Announces Stephanie Linus As Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.