Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,157 members, 7,890,920 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:11 AM

M.i Is Overated - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / M.i Is Overated (2676 Views)

Who Is Your Most Overated Naija Rapper / Who Says Tupac Is Overated / Do You Think D'banj Is Actually "overated" ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: M.i Is Overated by Sauron1: 1:18am On Mar 24, 2009
Ibime:

Stop yarning nonsense. . . . I rap pass MI if Im serious about HipHop cool. . he needs to put his baby rhymes away. . . . 

I doubt you rap better than MI. . . . . There must be a reason for doing baby rhymes.
He has to relate with the millions of fans out there. . . . .Going HARDCORE in Nigeria hasn't really pay dividends.
If u don't believe me, ask Mode-9

Have u seen 'Notorious'?? Did you see Biggie's reaction when Puffy insisted he must do a track for the frail-hearteds??
He vehemently refused but Puffy reiterated Biggie had to drop a commercial track for the airwaves. . . .That is the dilemma rappers face so you cannot judge MI until you have listened to his album and mix-tapes.
With the way he spews, he is grossly talented.

Freestyle is a whole 'nother level, with flow and wit. . . . even the sturvs Freestyle did in Pidgin English ten years ago trumps whatever the hell MI is doing now.

Too Hardcore. . . . . .Average listeners cannot relate with him.
He would be a monumental failure commercially for today's record companies who are out to grab the fast buck.
There's a reason MI raps the way he does.
Re: M.i Is Overated by chrisball: 4:49am On Mar 24, 2009
Re: M.i Is Overated by chrisball: 4:50am On Mar 24, 2009
Re: M.i Is Overated by donjon: 9:07am On Mar 24, 2009
The guy simply has swag, but he should stop putting on those kanye specs
Re: M.i Is Overated by Bamsyle(m): 10:25am On Mar 24, 2009
Ibime:

Abeg, MI is a fake Lil Wayne. Forget him.

Flowwise, none of em can mess with Freestyle. I dont care about his voice. Hes the only Naija rapper I can actually learn from in terms of flow construction.

Maybe you should also add that he's a fake Kanye West . . . cos he sounds like him atimes . . . plus a fake Wyclef too . . . cos in his "Safe", when he said "MI be in the house and MCs they should bounce and go home to their spouse . . .", he sounded exactly like Wyclef . . .

With all that, he's still better than Freestyle . . .

Thundering cyclones, I cannot believe this is coming from a netcee . . . what is flow in Rap Music You think it's when an MC spits 500 words per bar I agree MI has got baby rhymes but his 5 words in each bar still murks that . . . it ain't how fast, it's how well . . . otherwise Twista woulda be the best rapper in the Universe right now . . .

You don't care about his voice I think you should . . . A good rapper, so-called, without an exceptional voice is like a micro without the phone . . . go ask DMX, Eminem, Pac, Biggie and other greats how important voice is in Rap . . .

I'll say it for the umpteenth time - Rappers, just like singers, need voice training.

eldee:

Consistency has nothing to do with being the best . . .
Being the best is about being excellent and overshadowing the rest, that's what M.I has done
No one called him the G.O.A.T . . . infact ifhe drops a below-par album next, he'll be forgotten ASAP

Consistency is not = the best . . . but it's one of the friggin' credentials the best must possess . . .

Just cos an MC makes good use of a glaring opportunity doesn't make him tower above the rest . . . Great sunspots, tell me how he has overshadowed Mode9 and Rugged "Talk About It" won't make me easily discard "Malcolm IX" and "Thy Album Come" . . . Just cos he's got more mainstream/ladies appeal doesn't mean he now towers above those 2 cats . . .

It's a simple thing, other rappers have shown that they're not half as talented as he's proven
This is someone spinning real ish on hot beats, reminds me of albums like Thy Album Come (an album that took over nine years to make)
His catchy punchlines convert ladies into hiphop fans . . . his delivery reminds us that hiphop is still music
And as you said 'What if tomorrow Mode or Rugged comes out with an album better than "Talk About It"??' Then he will become the best rapper on Nigerian soil.

I ain't disputing the fact that MI is hot . . . but to label him the best Nah, that's like writing an epilogue before the story . . . he's hardworking, no doubt . . . he has raised the ante for Naija rap, yes . . . but he still ain't the best . . . he's into wordplay and sturvs . . . that's like 2 points of the Rap Game, not all . . .

I ain't saying an MC's got to get donkey career years to be reverred . . . even though atimes that's the case . . . in the history of Rap, the only MC who has been able to command mad respect with just one album is Biggie . . . Biggie is that good  . . . but mess that, all I'm saying is that skill for skill, MI hasn't convinced me yet that he's better than Mode or Rugged . . . maybe he needs to come up hotter than he's doing now . . . and this is the point where I agree with Ibime . . . MI sounds babyish atimes . . . too babyish to be compared with Mode or Rugged . . .

If the Rocawear comes with silk-smooth seamless edges, with signature style and sells 30,000 in 30 minutes, then it'll be rated better than the TM, Ben Sherman, Ralph Lauren and Paul Smith put together tongue tongue grin

This is the thundering limit . . .

Confound it, you just got tired of the TM . . . period . . . I also did . . . and that's the simple reason we now wear Hawes & Curtis, etc . . . how's Hawes & Curtis different from many other Jermyn Street shirts

TM Lewin . . . old-fashioned, British-conservative and now pedestrian as it is . . . boasts of a stylish texture, assorted weaves . . . sleek and sophisticated appearance . . . complete with classic French cuffs and Windsor, York and Prince of Wales collars . . . not to talk of the John Francomb version . . .

I ain't surprised at the Naija attitude . . . some commodity appears on the market today . . . Naija peops use it till it nears extinction . . . they get tired of it . . . then turn up their noses and ask - what next

Maybe we need to meet at the Fashion Section . . . some things don't get less appreciated with time . . . even if they don't get better . . . TM's got its own fair share of the market . . . what's sales got to do with it
Re: M.i Is Overated by busygirl(f): 12:16pm On Mar 24, 2009
Illegal music is the illest thing i av heard in a long time. M.i is the only reason i listen to nigerian songs tongue lol. anywayz like someone mentioned earlier, where's sanchez i loved him too cry cry cry cry. Btw all m.i's critics, m.i's not original, fake kanye and all that, just take a chill pill. Who's original by the way?lil wayne or kanye shocked shocked His dimension of music i totally appreciate, must all nigerian songs sound local? as for his accent, i don't think he's over doing it nor forcing it like some ppl, e.g miss sash and the rest?He must win a grammy oo cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: M.i Is Overated by lalaboi(m): 12:21pm On Mar 24, 2009
busygirl:

Illegal music is the illest thing i av heard in a long time. M.i is the only reason i listen to nigerian songs tongue lol. anywayz like someone mentioned earlier, where's sanchez i loved him too cry cry cry cry. Btw all m.i's critics, m.i's not original, fake kanye and all that, just take a chill pill. Who's original by the way?lil wayne or kanye shocked shocked His dimension of music i totally appreciate, must all nigerian songs sound local? as for his accent, i don't think he's over doing it nor forcing it like some ppl, e.g miss sash and the rest?He must win a grammy oo cheesy cheesy cheesy

You have a problem with Lady Niaja rappers' Voices and accents tongue. . . . .But you'll parse this one cos its M.I lol. . .
Re: M.i Is Overated by Ibime(m): 12:43pm On Mar 24, 2009
Bamsyle:

(1.) Maybe you should also add that he's a fake Kanye West . . . cos he sounds like him atimes . . . plus a fake Wyclef too . . . cos in his "Safe", when he said "MI be in the house and MCs they should bounce and go home to their spouse . . .", he sounded exactly like Wyclef . . .

With all that, he's still better than Freestyle . . .

(2.) Thundering cyclones, I cannot believe this is coming from a netcee . . . what is flow in Rap Music You think it's when an MC spits 500 words per bar I agree MI has got baby rhymes but his 5 words in each bar still murks that . . . it ain't how fast, it's how well . . . otherwise Twista woulda be the best rapper in the Universe right now . . .

(1.) Im glad you mentioned that MI sounds like Wyclef, Lil Wayne and Kanye West. . . . .cos they're all wack!!! I noticed that too.

(2.) First off, I am not a netcee. I am not even an emcee. . . . anymore. But there is no function of an emcee I haven't fulfilled in my younger years, be that shows, live battles, radio etc. Flow is not how fast you spit but how well you ride the beat. IMO, MI does not ride the beat very well at all. Saigon, Jadakiss and Biggie provide perfect example of how one should ride a beat. Every snare, hi-hat and kick is accounted for when the aforementioned spit. When MI spits, Im sorry, he tends to drag the last syllable to fit the bar. His flow is wack. You can take that to the bank. I said it! His flow is elementary like Ye', Lil Wayne etc.

My only criteria when judging a rapper is "Can I learn any new flow-structure from him?". I DEFINITELY cannot learn anything new from MI. On the other hand, I can learn a lot from Freestyle. I do not listen to rap as a consumer, but as a fellow rapper. Theres a poignant difference there.
Re: M.i Is Overated by Sauron1: 2:54pm On Mar 24, 2009
Ibime:

My only criteria when judging a rapper is "Can I learn any new flow-structure from him?". I DEFINITELY cannot learn anything new from MI. On the other hand, I can learn a lot from Freestyle. I do not listen to rap as a consumer, but as a fellow rapper. Theres a poignant difference there.

I don't listen to rap as a consumer as well and i see skillz in M-I's works.
He is excellent plus he is a natural. Nigga is just keeping it simple to attract a vast fanbase.
Re: M.i Is Overated by spikedcylinder: 2:57pm On Mar 24, 2009
I have really tried with this M.I dude but. . . . . undecided
Re: M.i Is Overated by smurf1(f): 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2009
Hey as long as his cheques clear, he'll keep laughing all the way to the bank, thats for sure, cool cool cool cool
Re: M.i Is Overated by Bamsyle(m): 5:06pm On Mar 24, 2009
Ibime:

(1.) Im glad you mentioned that MI sounds like Wyclef, Lil Wayne and Kanye West. . . . .cos they're all wack!!! I noticed that too.

Yeah, I mentioned these names cos I wanted to populate your list . . . and also show you that I'm not unaware of this fact . . . but then even with that, he still raps better than Freestyle . . .

And hey, I ain't no fan of Lil' Wayne or the rap version of Wyclef (I like his singing though) . . . and surely Kanye ain't a Rap Great/Legend . . . he ain't hardcore or underground (much as I like underground/hardcore MCs) . . . but calling him wack is preposterous . . . I don't know what your definition of 'wack' is . . . but Kanye ain't no wackie . . . he delivers.

(2.) First off, I am not a netcee. I am not even an emcee. . . . anymore. But there is no function of an emcee I haven't fulfilled in my younger years, be that shows, live battles, radio etc. Flow is not how fast you spit but how well you ride the beat. IMO, MI does not ride the beat very well at all. Saigon, Jadakiss and Biggie provide perfect example of how one should ride a beat. Every snare, hi-hat and kick is accounted for when the aforementioned spit. When MI spits, Im sorry, he tends to drag the last syllable to fit the bar. His flow is wack. You can take that to the bank. I said it! His flow is elementary like Ye', Lil Wayne etc.

You're no longer a Netcee/MC  shocked What a short-lived career . . .  sad cry  I must confess I like your lyrics/rhythm in the Battle Section though . . .

I agree with your definition on "Flow" . . . and I'm happy Saigon, Jadakiss and Biggie that you mentioned are not fast rappers. In fact, I believe that there are two categories of MCs/rappers - those that rap (in the strict sense of it) and those who flow . . . Originally, Rap entails talking rapidly over beats . . . Jay-Z belongs to that category . . .  Flow-ers deliver smooth and easy . . . no rush/haste . . . kinda laid-back . . . so MI does not ride the beat With joints like "Blaze", "Anoti", "Safe", "Talk About It"??

I know where your issue is . . . he makes ish too simple . . . is that a crime I don't think so.

He drags the last syllables to fit the bar . . . I agree . . . MCs in that category (flow-ers) are known for emphasis. That's why Kanye West said in his "Can't Tell Me Nutin" that he speaks with so much emphasis . . . In his "I'm Hot Freestyle" MI describes himself as the deep rhyme flow-er . . . he wants to flow . . . and make ish deep at the same time . . . that's ok . . . he can def get better . . . but he ain't wack.

The style that MI's trying to adopt was captured by Eminem in his "Letz Get Down To Business":

". . . an MC who breathes so freely
Ease over these beats and be so breezy
Jesus how can shit be so easy
"?

MI breathes freely . . . eases over his beats . . . is breezy . . . and makes Ibime wonder "how can sh*t be so easy"??

I'm cool with your criteria for judging rappers . . . but believe me, if you can't learn any new flow structure from MI . . . it's cos it sounds so simple you almost don't reckon with it . . . but believe me again . . . some things are simply profound . . . and profoundly simple . . . not all simple things are stupid . . . some great things come in small packages . . .

Another reason you can't learn anything new from him Maybe his style is . . . erm . . .

. . . encrypted.  grin
Re: M.i Is Overated by Ibime(m): 5:25pm On Mar 24, 2009
Bamsyle:

Another reason you can't learn anything new from him Maybe his style is . . . erm . . .

. . . encryptedgrin

hehehehe. . .

When I asked her to jump, she said "Gimme the rope!"/
Yo, it might be the shit that I quote/
But she aint that smart. . . and my lyrics are encrypted in code/
Its the fact that I work it right/ . . . . And we curse and fight/
but everything is forgiven. . . . from the minute I insert the pipe/  - Ibime
Re: M.i Is Overated by hectorswag(m): 5:33pm On Mar 24, 2009
M. I. is soooooo goooooooooood!!!!!!!!!! grin grin

he's worth even more, i still can't find a nigerian rap artiste thats better.

artistes like modenine and ruggedman have got a lot to learn from this dude. free the guy he's the man this year, all these fagged ass rappers they should all disappear!!

but come o, wetin be "anoti" sef.
Re: M.i Is Overated by Bamsyle(m): 5:38pm On Mar 24, 2009
Ibime:

hehehehe. . .

but everything is forgiven. . . . from the minute I insert the pipe/ - Ibime

Ashawo . . . grin
Re: M.i Is Overated by kaypumpin2(m): 7:23pm On Mar 24, 2009
hectorswag:

M. I. is soooooo goooooooooood!!!!!!!!!! grin grin

he's worth even more, i still can't find a nigerian rap artiste thats better.

artistes like modenine and ruggedman have got a lot to learn from this dude. free the guy he's the man this year, all these fagged ass rappers they should all disappear!!

but come o, wetin be "anoti" sef.

it means UNBEATABLE
Re: M.i Is Overated by finemocha(f): 11:28pm On Mar 24, 2009
worth what price, was his concert ticket too expensive. I like him sha
Re: M.i Is Overated by Nobody: 12:23am On Mar 25, 2009
[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]There is no stopping him[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Re: M.i Is Overated by Sauron1: 12:54am On Mar 25, 2009
Ibime:

hehehehe. . .

but everything is forgiven. . . . from the minute I insert the pipe/  - Ibime

U are retching piffle. . . . . . .

I just saw MI's listening party now on Nigezie. . . . . This nigga is sick and his flows are top drawer.
His freestylez are better than anything i have seen in the Naija hip-hop industry.
Re: M.i Is Overated by rockyfela(m): 7:05am On Mar 25, 2009
puuuhllleaaassseee LIVE ma nigga alone, The hotest naija rap act at the moment, NO OTHER RAPPERS COME CLOSE COS HE IS HOMOPHOBIC AND THEIR FLOWS ARE BASIC, HE'S ACIDIC,
Re: M.i Is Overated by simonseez: 7:24am On Mar 25, 2009
I sincerely think answering this thread was a wrong thing in the first place, the person who started it has even disappered off it,

M.I has raised the bar definately, MODE, RUGGED, FREESTLYE, ELDEE, all tight rappers and every one has a right to brag bout being the best cos i think they have all earned it, doind rap in this country where FOKASIBE and the likes are what we consider HIT Songs is not easy and anyone who does rap and still has appeal should be respected,
Re: M.i Is Overated by simonseez: 7:29am On Mar 25, 2009
I sincerely think answering this thread was a wrong thing in the first place, the person who started it has even disappered off it,

M.I has raised the bar definately, MODE, RUGGED, FREESTLYE, ELDEE, all tight rappers and every one has a right to brag bout being the best cos i think they have all earned it, doind rap in this country where FOKASIBE and the likes are what we consider HIT Songs is not easy and anyone who does rap and still has appeal should be respected,
Re: M.i Is Overated by javalove(m): 10:24am On Mar 25, 2009
As for me, na lyrics i dey chop so

ALL HAIL D SUPER LYRICIST MODNIZZY!!!
Re: M.i Is Overated by audio: 11:41am On Mar 25, 2009
@ Topic.
The issue isn't if MI is good or not. It has been universally agreed that he is. The question is, is he overrated? This isn't a "show MI how much we love him topic"
Please can people try and answer topics constructively and to the point. The endless recycling of MI is the greatest IS REALLY BORING.

For me MI is overrated. He is good, but he has no credible competition and when there is no competition, you win by default. Lyrically to me Mode 9 is better (my opinion, before the YOU ARE A HATER BRIGADE come and start screaming), but MI is more of the complete package for commercial success.

He goes for the wow factor punchlines, which sound impressive as soundbites, but are not as much so in the greater context of a song. However, he knows his market and he knows that for naija, that's all they're interested in.

I've listened to his album a couple of times and i find it to be like a one trick pony. Like a CGI film. Once you get over the effects (or in his case, the punchlines), it became a bit boring.

I commend him for bringing hip-hop back to the forefront (cause i love hiphop), but i just see him as Nateo C with better rhyming skills, good hype machine and good timing. Album is good, but definitely not what I will call a classic. 3/5
Re: M.i Is Overated by djcrucifix(m): 11:48am On Mar 25, 2009
i don't know why some people are hating this guy, i mean this guy is like the best rap artist in naija today. make una free dat guy abeg, it's his time.
'
Re: M.i Is Overated by audio: 12:05pm On Mar 25, 2009
djcrucifix:

i don't know why some people are hating this guy, i mean this guy is like the best rap artist in naija today. make una free dat guy abeg, it's his time.
'

exactly my point. Nothing constructive just more "STOP HATING ON MI". Like i said VERY BORING. If i asked you to explain why you like him,  will you be able to come up with something more insightful beyond, stop hating?
Re: M.i Is Overated by Bamsyle(m): 1:36pm On Mar 25, 2009
audio:

@ Topic.
The issue isn't if MI is good or not. It has been universally agreed that he is. The question is, is he overrated? This isn't a "show MI how much we love him topic"
Please can people try and answer topics constructively and to the point. The endless recycling of MI is the greatest IS REALLY BORING.

For me MI is overrated. He is good, but he has no credible competition and when there is no competition, you win by default. Lyrically to me Mode 9 is better (my opinion, before the YOU ARE A HATER BRIGADE come and start screaming), but MI is more of the complete package for commercial success.

He goes for the wow factor punchlines, which sound impressive as soundbites, but are not as much so in the greater context of a song. However, he knows his market and he knows that for naija, that's all they're interested in.

I've listened to his album a couple of times and i find it to be like a one trick pony. Like a CGI film. Once you get over the effects (or in his case, the punchlines), it became a bit boring.

I commend him for bringing hip-hop back to the forefront (cause i love hiphop), but i just see him as Nateo C with better rhyming skills, good hype machine and good timing. Album is good, but definitely not what I will call a classic. 3/5

You must have been an oracle in your former life . . . you just spoke like one.

Infact, receive my e-handshake across the internet . . .

Anyone who doesn't understand the above should have it interpreted to him in his or her mother tongue/local parlance . . .

At the expense of sounding like a broken record:

1. MI is good but he gets overrated when he's referred to as "the best rapper in Naija".

2. There's currently no stiff competition on the Naija Rap Scene. Fact is all the Naija artistes referred to as A-Class acts are singers - 2face, 9ice, Dbanj, P-Square, etc.

3. The 2 Naija rappers of any significant reckoning are Mode9 and Ruggedman. However, the two have not taken their game to a whole new level as expected by their fans and critics alike.

4. In spite of their shortcomings, Mode9 and Ruggedman are still better rappers than MI.

5. For want of any better rappers, Naija peops just decided to put up with these 2 rappers whilst hoping that one day, the much-desired messiah would come - something akin to the Israelites pitching their tents between Moses and Elijah . . . whilst waiting for Jesus to come.

6. Out of the blues . . . MI bursts on the scene . . . like thirsty souls that had over-stayed in the wilderness, some Naija peops hastily crown him as King . . . and call him Jesus . . . whereas he's not . . . IMO he's actually John the Baptist.

There's still a lacuna on the Naija Rap Scene . . . time would tell . . . when the desirable is not available . . . the available becomes desirable . . . when we can't have what we want . . . we want what we have . . .

MI is like the fragrance . . . perceived from afar . . . the cologne is still on its way.
Re: M.i Is Overated by khanye(m): 2:15pm On Mar 25, 2009
Bamsyle:

4. In spite of their shortcomings, Mode9 and Ruggedman are still better rappers than MI.

5. For want of any better rappers, Naija peops just decided to put up with these 2 rappers whilst hoping that one day, the much-desired messiah would come - something akin to the Israelites pitching their tents between Moses and Elijah . . . whilst waiting for Jesus to come.

6. Out of the blues . . . MI bursts on the scene . . . like thirsty souls that had over-stayed in the wilderness, some Naija peops hastily crown him as King . . . and call him Jesus . . . whereas he's not . . . IMO he's actually John the Baptist.

There's still a lacuna on the Naija Rap Scene . . . time would tell . . . when the desirable is not available . . . the available becomes desirable . . . when we can't have what we want . . . we want what we have . . .

MI is like the fragrance . . . perceived from afar . . . the cologne is still on its way.

SPot on Boss! wink
Re: M.i Is Overated by princesa(f): 3:32pm On Mar 25, 2009
MI and Co  are  becoming  hackneyed cliche on this section
any new topic undecided
Re: M.i Is Overated by Nobody: 1:25am On Mar 26, 2009
No one is certainly against d dude, he's too overcrowded that just all.
Re: M.i Is Overated by Nobody: 8:12pm On Mar 26, 2009
Its the work of good publicity people, Do you know Bobby Taylor? That's her job, Publicity :-)
Re: M.i Is Overated by lagosboi1: 10:30pm On Mar 26, 2009
Isn't it obvious? Check out M.I's album and i am sure you will not compare him with any rapper in Africa. That guy is our African Lil wayne, the earlier you accept that the better for all of us, i no fit lie you ma ppl that guy dey burst.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hot! Jay-z Feat. Chris Martin - Most Kingz (download) / Download 1000's Of Free Mp3 Songs / Olamide To Feature Rick Ross In New Track'leave Me Alone'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.