Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,915 members, 7,949,177 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 08:54 PM

Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title - Sports (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title (45786 Views)

2018 World Cup Qualifiers: Nigeria Vs Algeria - Who Is Your Man Of The March? / FIFA Under-17 WORLD CUP Chile 2015-Nigeria Group Fixtures &Time-OCT 17TH-NOV 8TH / 2015 Women's Afrobasket: D'Tigress On The March (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Seamareggae(m): 11:34pm On Aug 29, 2015
successinlife:

Statistics in this 2015 afrobasket favor us(Nigeria) against Angola.Tunisia in the final would have been unplayable for us.Angola - Nigeria the odds favor us in a neutral ground.I prefer we play Angola to playing Tunisia though Tunisia played us like there is no tomorrow in the group stage and they falter when it mattered most and we played the matches as it comes,the match against Tunisia in the group stage wasn't a do or die affair.
Lol.. I wanted the Angolans sef... After watching the quarter final btw Tunisia and Morocco... I jus knew dos Tunisia were just lucky to have home advantage... Nd it helped them get to the semi final...

Angolans play good individual nd team defense but there offense is not that fluid like Senegalese or the Nigerians in this tournament... By God's grace... I hope we come out tops tomorrow...

Tomorrow shall tell...

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by hayorzzyzx(m): 11:41pm On Aug 29, 2015
Please is supersport 9 showing the Final tomorrow
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Ekaka1(m): 12:29am On Aug 30, 2015
CFCfan:

Lol
I thought Naija won cheesy
Blame it on Printer's devil grin
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Funjosh(m): 4:47am On Aug 30, 2015
CFCfan:
Full time:
Tunisia 51-58 Angola

I got banned by one yeye antichrist spot spam on this thread yesterday, I was pained I couldn't comment again. I mail the super mode several time with no avail. Seun e no good o

Thank God we are through to the final God Bless Nigeria.
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by haytripple(m): 6:58am On Aug 30, 2015
The angola team is what they shd be wary of nw cos they are pretty good. I watched their games some years ago even at the world level they r really trying,if nigeria can outplay n beat them,then nigeria is growing in the world of basketball

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by successinlife: 7:52am On Aug 30, 2015
Nigeria
Nigeria Players - Player (A-Z) AFROBASKET 2015

Name Post - HT - Weight - DOB
Al-Farouq Aminu F 6-9 - 215 - Sep 21, 1990
Alade Aminu C 6-10 - 225 - Sep 14, 1987
Ike Diogu PF 6-10 - 250 - Sep 11, 1983
Michael Gbinije SF 6-7 - 200 - Jun 5, 1992
Shane Lawal C 6-10 -230 - Oct 8, 1986
Andy Ogide F 6-9 - 245 - Jan 10, 1987
Champ Oguchi GF 6-6 -200 - Apr 28, 1986
Stan Okoye GF 6-6 -215 - Apr 10, 1991
Jamal Olasewere F 6-7 -215 - Sep 16, 1991
Olumide Oyedeji C 6-11 -240 - May 11, 1981
Michael Umeh G 6-2 -205 - Sep 18, 1984
Ben Uzoh SG 6-3 -205 - Mar 18, 1988
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by luvablesam(m): 7:55am On Aug 30, 2015
Fun Fact: Angola will be playing in their 7th consecutive final of Afrobasket. They played Nigeria in the final in 1999 and 2003 and defeated us. Praying We are successful this time

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by successinlife: 9:41am On Aug 30, 2015
Basketball is a team sport but individual talents always points the way trophy goes atimes.I am sad and pained that my power forward Ik Diogu may not feauture in this 2015 Afrobasket,I really don't know why at any competition we kwontinue sorry continue to play without our anchorman injured or suspended or not allowed to participate,i still remember the impact Champ Oguchi would have had on our team in 2013,i bet with my all that had it been Oguchi played the 2013 Afrobasket Senegal would not have had it easy,they wouldn't have defeated our team.

Fastforward to 2015,after showing what he can bring to the team,Ik Diogu suffered an injury,what a loss,a great PF,i would have handed this 2015 afrobasket to Nigeria and not bother to even watch the matches had it been this trojan of a monster is available for selection.Truth be said,Ik Diogu is a leader,a basketball all rounder,seeing him complement 'Shane' Lawal upfront and doing his trademark double double while Al farouk hold down the clean defensive job at the rear with some massive steals would have been a beauty to watch.

i pray the ghost of loosing an important player in the finals don't hunt us today,just like i said yesterday,come what may this team has shown they can aspire for the very best,what we are just looking for is our first african basketball trophy,these guys have tried,it is not easy to consistently be among the best three in African basketball.

What i know is that the team Angola defeats at will are not same as this particular crop of players save for only one man Olumide Oyedeji an home grown stalwarts,he is just a partial part of this team due to age and i think his experience and understanding of Africamania come to play, this i saw in our game against Tunisia when the refree called a foul against Lawal as he atempts to shoot,instead of getting a free throw it was a decision against Lawal the FC-Barcelona forward,Oyedeji stepped forward and whisper to his ears,o boy na so e be for here o o o,lets just continue there are other matches to play.

Mind you the fear factor is on both teams,Angola secretely or openly dread our team,just as we do for them but the team that dictate the pace today will win 2015 Afrobasket,another important thing is not to allow Angola take wide gap lead in scores.We were crying of Senegal Dieng and Oguchi showed we have a better Dieng on our side.I don't fear Angola,all i pray is for our boys to find their form & rythm,then we shall be Africa champions at least so close in 2015. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by goldfish80(m): 10:15am On Aug 30, 2015
successinlife:
Basketball is a team sport but individual talents always points the way trophy goes atimes.I am sad and pained that my power forward Ik Diogu may not feauture in this 2015 Afrobasket,I really don't know why at any competition we kwontinue sorry continue to play without our anchorman injured or suspended or not allowed to participate,i still remember the impact Champ Oguchi would have had on our team in 2013,i bet with my all that had it been Oguchi played the 2013 Afrobasket Senegal would not have had it easy,they wouldn't have defeated our team.

Fastforward to 2015,after showing what he can bring to the team,Ik Diogu suffered an injury,what a loss,a great PF,i would have handed this 2015 afrobasket to Nigeria and not bother to even watch the matches had it been this trojan of a monster is available for selection.Truth be said,Ik Diogu is a leader,a basketball all rounder,seeing him complement 'Shane' Lawal upfront and doing his trademark double double while Al farouk hold down the clean defensive job at the rear with some massive steals would have been a beauty to watch.

i pray the ghost of loosing an important player in the finals don't hunt us today,just like i said yesterday,come what may this team has shown they can aspire for the very best,what we are just looking for is our first african basketball trophy,these guys have tried,it is not easy to consistently be among the best three in African basketball.

What i know is that the team Angola defeats at will are not same as this particular crop of players save for only one man Olumide Oyedeji an home grown stalwarts,he is just a partial part of this team due to age and i think his experience and understanding of Africamania come to play, this i saw in our game against Tunisia when the refree called a foul against Lawal as he atempts to shoot,instead of getting a free throw it was a decision against Lawal the FC-Barcelona forward,Oyedeji stepped forward and whisper to his ears,o boy na so e be for here o o o,lets just continue there are other matches to play.

Mind you the fear factor is on both teams,Angola secretely or openly dread our team,just as we do for them but the team that dictate the pace today will win 2015 Afrobasket,another important thing is not to allow Angola take wide gap lead in scores.We were crying of Senegal Dieng and Oguchi showed we have a better Dieng on our side.I don't fear Angola,all i pray is for our boys to find their form & rythm,then we shall be Africa champions at least so close in 2015. God bless Nigeria.
Ike Diogu surely would have been mvp candidate had he played in this championship but I think this team has evolved and they have stamped their superiority against all the teams they have played bar Tunisia. At crucial moments we've had people step up both in defense and offense.

Kudos must go to the coach who just arrived 2 months before this tournament. I think the NBBF should extend his contract to a 4yr. The way he's read games, called time outs at crucial times, kept in touch with every tiny little detail as exemplified when the shot clock was reset erroneously in the Senegal game. In my books, he's done better than Sam Vincent already.

Individually the Angolan team is bang on average. Apart from Lionel who's capable of pulling difficult shots from the low post the rest aren't all that.... Someone like Moore wouldn't get minutes if he's on the D'tigers team. I have to stop here before my little bit of arrogance bits me in the @ss grin

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by successinlife: 11:18am On Aug 30, 2015
@ goldfish80, pouring out your opinion is never arrogant and never be termed arrogancy,the team needs the trophy more than we the spectators because they benefit directly from the encomium,legacy and long train of gifts that await them should they win.The first Nigeria Afrobasket set to do an undo considering the calibre of players,the coach is also commendable,he knows his worth but players always compliment coaching and vice versa,though i want this trophy badly but i will be contented with whatever the boys come out with.They have done well.Angola pls don't stand between us and our gold medals because you guys have won it enough,kindly fall as the Senegalese who until yesterday were 4 times champions.
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by haytripple(m): 12:13pm On Aug 30, 2015
Those angolans are good at throwing 3pointer
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:00pm On Aug 30, 2015
Who cares? We got our own 3-pt generating machine in Chamberlain Oguchi. The guy's a beast outside the 2pt. Arc. Watch out Angola!
It's Oguchi with 3pts 4m downtown... *he's gonna hit them all nite long* hehehe...

I've missed the people's favorite, Ike Diogu, but it's ok... We gonna win 4 Him and with Him. His presence on d bench despite d injury shud boost d morale of d oda 'stalwarts' in Oguchi, D Aminu Brothers, Olaseni Shane Lawal, ben uzoh, and co. He's d team's leader and will inspire his team mates to understand the enormosity of the threshold they currently stand on... The threshold of Greatness and Immortality in African basketball.

Let's go D'Tigers! ! ! !
Go get them! ! ! ! ! ! !
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by successinlife: 1:51pm On Aug 30, 2015
haytripple:
Those angolans are good at throwing 3pointer

I think the Angolans will be saying same about our team,there is nothing Angola does better than our team, 8/15 three point throws is not a fluke, btw he has done it in at least three matches now,he leads in point against the Senegalese 'Champ Oguchi' 26 points and 24 from 3 throws, respect to him.Let Angola come smoking we shall come firing,tit for tat,na one day person dey reject second fiddle,enough is enough.

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by shizzy7(f): 2:49pm On Aug 30, 2015
successinlife:

Nigeria
Nigeria Players - Player (A-Z) AFROBASKET 2015

Name Post - HT - Weight - DOB
Al-Farouq Aminu F 6-9 - 215 - Sep 21, 1990
Alade Aminu C 6-10 - 225 - Sep 14, 1987
Ike Diogu PF 6-10 - 250 - Sep 11, 1983
Michael Gbinije SF 6-7 - 200 - Jun 5, 1992
Shane Lawal C 6-10 -230 - Oct 8, 1986
Andy Ogide F 6-9 - 245 - Jan 10, 1987
Champ Oguchi GF 6-6 -200 - Apr 28, 1986
Stan Okoye GF 6-6 -215 - Apr 10, 1991
Jamal Olasewere F 6-7 -215 - Sep 16, 1991
Olumide Oyedeji C 6-11 -240 - May 11, 1981
Michael Umeh G 6-2 -205 - Sep 18, 1984
Ben Uzoh SG 6-3 -205 - Mar 18, 1988

FINE,
DARK,
TALL BOYS
OH Y'ALL MAKE ME DROOL cool

Al Farouq AMINU THIS SONG IS FOR YOU

baby you're simply so sexy your love comforts me
I don't really care if you driving a Rex,,
butterflies affect me whenever you text me,,
I select you because you select me,,
Way you protect me your love is allergic,
Love the way did it whenever you vex me,
cannot forget you,,you cannot forget me
forgetttee
RAP::
YOU BELONG TO ME AND I BELONG TO YOU
I AM CRAZY ABOUT you
hhuuummmiinnnn

singing MI ft lami

1 Like

Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by safarigirl(f): 4:05pm On Aug 30, 2015
shizzy7:
FINE,
DARK,
TALL BOYS
OH Y'ALL MAKE ME DROOL cool

AMINU THIS SONG IS FOR YOU

baby you're simply so sexy your love comforts me I don't really care if you driving a Rex,,butterflies affect me whenever you text me,,I ~~~~~
YOU BELONG TO ME AND I BELONG TO YOU
I AM CRAZY ABOUT you
hhuuummmiinnnn

singing MI ft lami
which Aminu undecided
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by shizzy7(f): 4:16pm On Aug 30, 2015
safarigirl:
which Aminu undecided
Al farouq Aminu he's young and Fine..
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Havilah93(m): 4:38pm On Aug 30, 2015
@CFCfan, when's the final starting?
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:45pm On Aug 30, 2015
Couldn't have said it better... Anyway, it's about 4hrs 15mins to the big game. Looking forward to it...

safarigirl:
it's the entire system. All the athletes from secondary school go to the University and forget about athletics, they die ontop their books cuz athletics isn't 'lucrative', and the talent eventually dies. Government should give scholarships for sporting excellence as well, encourage athletes to read as well as grow in their chosen field, no be only book everytime, not everyone is a bookworm, but the system has forced square pegs into round holes and created a disturbing imbalance. That's why nothing works in Nigeria as a whole, not just sports, cuz you have someone who would have been fulfilled as a long jumper or basketballer working as a frustrated accountant
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:48pm On Aug 30, 2015
Sure he is... He's cool. He's abt 1-2 yrs older than I am yet he's so tall. He's one of my top 3 favorites in the team's squad... #AlFarouqAminu

shizzy7:
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by shizzy7(f): 5:12pm On Aug 30, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Sure he is... He's cool. He's abt 1-2 yrs older than I am yet he's so tall. He's one of my top 3 favorites in the team's squad... #AlFarouqAminu

Then you should be the same age with gbinijie..
Al farouq and alade's Younger brother is going into basketball.... He's also tall...
I think The tallness is hereditary.. Its like an asset to their parents... Too much Money
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by haytripple(m): 5:16pm On Aug 30, 2015
When is the final? I can't afford to miss it even though I missed the nig semi bt watched angola vs tuns, twaz really interesting
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Funjosh(m): 5:38pm On Aug 30, 2015
haytripple:
When is the final? I can't afford to miss it even though I missed the nig semi bt watched angola vs tuns, twaz really interesting

9pm Nigerian Time.
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by zopaks: 5:57pm On Aug 30, 2015
shizzy7:
Al farouq and alade's Younger brother is going into basketball.... He's also tall...
I think The tallness is hereditary.. Its like an asset to their parents... Too much Money

Yeah you re right, Just Like the Antetokunmpos of Nigerian heritage who are now Greek nationals but playing in the NBA.
This game and their towering height as really transformed their family from Grass to Grace
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:06pm On Aug 30, 2015
Really cool... Talk about a rising basketball dynasty called 'The Aminus' *smiles*
And yeah, U rite, Gbinije and I are agemates(23+). Funny thing is we both got 'MICHAEL' as names. His is his first name but mine is my surname. Coincidence or what?
Whateva it is, I'll say, GO GET THEM BRO! We're rite behind u...

shizzy7:
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by shizzy7(f): 6:12pm On Aug 30, 2015
zopaks:

Yeah you re right, Just Like the Antetokunmpos of Nigerian heritage who are now Greek nationals but playing in the NBA.
This game and their towering height as really transformed their family from Grass to Grace
Wow, I just checked Google about them.. They've really made a name for theirselves in Germany But did they change their name?? That name sounds Antenigerian....

They moved in 1991...But that guy giannis can never play for Nigeria .... he's already blood-adopted in Germany
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by successinlife: 6:21pm On Aug 30, 2015
shizzy7:
Wow, I just checked Google about them.. They've really made a name for theirselves in Germany But did they change their name?? That name sounds Antenigerian....

They moved in 1991...But that guy giannis can never play for Nigeria .... he's already blood-adopted in Germany

Check very well,it should be Greece and not Germany,Germany don't adjust names.

Greece can't give you their nationality without adjusting your name to sound Greek,it is either you concur or you forfeit it.That name has got to do with Tokunbo,alot of Naija genes with adjusted name pronounciation there.
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by Badosqi(m): 6:32pm On Aug 30, 2015
Please can someone create a thread for the Nigeria vs Angola game. We need the live thread on frontpage not just reporting the outcome of the game like the semifinal game.

There are many people that are not aware that this championship is even going on. If Man u thread can make frontpage I see no reason why our own D'Tigers can't make frontpage.

This is the final we want all Nigerians to follow the game. Help us promote Basketball too.
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by safarigirl(f): 6:36pm On Aug 30, 2015
hayorzzyzx:
Please is supersport 9 showing the Final tomorrow
nope, they're not. Sucks cuz I won't be able to watch. I swear DSTV and Nigerian stations are just useless, especially the latter
Re: Afrobasket 2015 - Nigeria on the march to elusive first African Title by safarigirl(f): 6:42pm On Aug 30, 2015
shizzy7:
leave al-farouq for me o. Lol, he's one of my fav's sha. I like Umeh too, my sis is fixed on Okoye.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Top 7 Most Beautiful Nigerian Sports Women / Kylian Mbappe Named Most Valuable Footballer In The World At £190m (Full List) / Mikel, Others Stop Siasia From Resigning As Coach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.