Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,400 members, 7,910,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 10:11 PM

22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad (46599 Views)

12 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad / 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad [photos] / 15 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
Yummy kiss kiss kiss
adeh39:

Lol.... kiss kiss kiss
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by gidjah(m): 8:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
Yea bro,dats tru, but initially after landing in missisipi, had to start with KFC, since i use to envy chicken alot, eat beef,sometimes bugger or even gira.but when i began to notice i cant run or jugg as fast as i use to while at home in Naija, i had to stop all those junk and can things o, my heart beat rate started increasing fast despite that i look a kind of skinny.my cousin bro is now in Manchester,he refused to stop them 'Can things' and KFC, if u see am now en,! At 35 he looks like my grand father!but thank God am back home, now, i eat only locally prepared food and more fruits, but while in the states i spend huge on fruits(fresh)and our local Nig meals too,na God go help our guys over there with junk meals
Yevgeny:

Yea expensive but worth it. i buy only spices, meats and vegetables in the African store most time. I have the rest shipped from home to save cost. Yam is damn too expensive. one small tuber was $13 i was like wtf??

That said, it is wrong to say Nigerians abroad miss this things. Most of them dont even eat foreign food at all.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 13, 2015
opey112:
from go-slow experience

Of course grin grin
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by kaypound(m): 8:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
MsNas:

If you live in the US, they sell Shaki, Roundabout, cowtail (it is labelled oxtail) and even liver and Kidney at most Walmarts I have been into. Its in the beef section
Oh I'm not in the US right now...I'm in Edinburgh and the african resturant i know here dont even have varieties but I will be coming to Houston for vacation in a few weeks. I definately fill my tank grin
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 13, 2015
wristbangle:
Adeh39

I swear say I go smuggle amala, gboli, suya, kilichi, pounded yam, egusi soup, ewu(goat meat) enter oversea.

Nice thread OP. kiss kiss

Lol....see your mouth...cheesy

Thankskiss
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by otiigba1(m): 8:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
Aminat508:
yawn.. sleep dey do me fa smiley
oya! Go sleep tongue
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by thamees: 8:54pm On Aug 13, 2015
All these foods are all available in the Uk most especially in London, maybe suya and gala sha, the suya here don't tastes like the real suya but it still okay
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by kayalla(f): 8:56pm On Aug 13, 2015
Oh boy na true o.
Chai.
And isi ewu.

One day na one day we go jam again

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by JANDRENTPR: 8:56pm On Aug 13, 2015
adeh39:
3. Ewa Aganyin

Every Nigerian beans lover are crazy about Ewa Aganyi.

Ewa Aganyi is made up of cooked beans and pepper sauce. It is a delicious beans dish, well-known for its softness and tasty sauce.
You dey deceive your self....pple abroad dey chop am pass you local pple def. See how we dey chop am for UK

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by shut(f): 8:57pm On Aug 13, 2015
Hahaha I don't like local delicacies that much.
I hardly eat,I just take fries and I'm all good wink
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:57pm On Aug 13, 2015
Op its like they sent u to me today. D way I am salivating with all this assorted meals. This one is look and get filled up.

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 13, 2015
shut:
Hahaha I don't like local delicacies that much.
I hardly eat,I just take fries and I'm all good wink
Bad for your health sis. You should try the local delicacies once in a blue moon.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 13, 2015
JANDRENTPR:

You dey deceive your self....pple abroad dey chop am pass you local pple def. See how we dey chop am for UK

Lol....the difference is clear cheesy
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by cococandy(f): 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2015
olukenzo:

I saw indomie at Asda, if you're in the UK. You can also get it at your local African store.

Not in UK.

Where I live African stores are very few and far between. I don't have local African store.

Na find I dey go find them in neighboring cities.
And they usually don't have much of what I want.
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by shut(f): 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2015
dumo1:

Bad for your health sis. You should try the local delicacies once in a blue moon.

I didn't grow up with such meals and can't start now.just like teaching old dog a new trick
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Motolank: 9:05pm On Aug 13, 2015
erico2k2:
we have all this in London grin grin grin grin grin grin
Yes now. Don't mind them
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by easydone: 9:05pm On Aug 13, 2015
I move quarterly, 3 months in SA, 3 in Qatar, 3 in Brazil and the rest in Australia. I was fortunate to join a Redeemed church where the Nigerian brethren introduced me to 'Towns' where you can buy Nigerian food. So anywhere I go now, I look for Nigerian churches.
ronald4lif:

It must be too expensive where you live for you to eat it occasionally. Please where is that if I may ask?
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Motolank: 9:07pm On Aug 13, 2015
I will just save the thread to k n o what soup to make next
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by gidjah(m): 9:07pm On Aug 13, 2015
The stress in getting thm to a certain level of satisfaction sef too much.how many of us comfortably go for such all d time as its usually d case in Naija??the Op aint saying it is not possible, but that it can be a bit challenging, stressfull and xpensive for th average naija guys who really have to keep up with bills and send some dough home at d same time.the enviroment sef can not be compared with what is obtainable in naija, the local contents, the local enviroment, the bunking things etc are part of those things to miss about home sweet home.forget the level of comfort we claim to have over there pls.
cococandy:
She's right about some of them though.

Like gala grin I miss that sh1t
And indomie. Ramen noodles cannot be compared to indomie
Plus a few more on that her list. In fact I'm home sick now. embarassed
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Jchi9876: 9:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
ezigbo ofe akwu with cowleg and better fresh hot agidi

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by IYANGBALI: 9:08pm On Aug 13, 2015
adeh39:
3. Ewa Aganyin

Every Nigerian beans lover are crazy about Ewa Aganyi.

Ewa Aganyi is made up of cooked beans and pepper sauce. It is a delicious beans dish, well-known for its softness and tasty sauce.
this will be a very good business for vickyrotex in pakistan where she is seeking for assylum
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by mackzydon9(m): 9:12pm On Aug 13, 2015
i just dey reason if i travel how e go be i go miss my garri and groundnuts o and also these mama put resturants. You fit dey see am for that side e nor go sweet like the wan wen dem make for naija abi my people? imagine say you dey peaceful country like england dey troway pestle for mortal you wan die. naija life too simple joor

mean while na team #9ja all the way o lekua?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
macminista:
...no wayo guy....my mind no reason utube sef...lol...wetin dey happin for Vijay? Heat wan faint us for chitown

Va dey there. hot as well but still better than few weeks ago. My guys wey dey Dallas dey lament lol. waiting for winter!. Best season of the year!
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by benlizfoods(m): 9:14pm On Aug 13, 2015
adeh39:
13. Ofada Rice

Ofada Rice produced locally in Nigeria. What makes it special is its unique flavour and aroma. Most Nigerians abroad will jump with excitement at the sight of ofada rice.

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 13, 2015
dis op have made me jump into my car in search of suya dis night

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by MsNas(f): 9:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
otiigba1:
Really? In walmart? I did not know that, usually get shaky, roundabout and cow tail from the local street market butcher's Gabbage BIN, he throws them in the bin *jokes* grin
Yes they do. I just jammed it one day cos they always hide it in one obscure aisle. Since then, I've known what aisle to go to and search for it. Super cheap too, between $3-$9 depending on the weight and type
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
JANDRENTPR:

is that not rosie honey bottle i dey see for your so called london food?
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by nathpope(m): 9:17pm On Aug 13, 2015
adeh39:
22. Ijebu Garri and Groundnut
When you take Garri and groundnut isn’t there, it just feels wrong.
na ''Garri Ijebu'' b d correct way to say it... D Garri shld com b4 d Ijebu....
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by MsNas(f): 9:18pm On Aug 13, 2015
kaypound:
Oh I'm not in the US right now...I'm in Edinburgh and the african resturant i know here dont even have varieties but I will be coming to Houston for vacation in a few weeks. I definately fill my tank grin
Houston sure has a lot of Naija food stores. You will like it there
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 13, 2015
Over generalization.

There's nothing I miss on or off this list that I don't eat whenever I want.

At least now that I've done the needful and married from home grin

1 Like

Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Jchi9876: 9:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
MsNas:
Depending on your location, you might or might not miss these foods you the OP just listed. I don't cos that's all I eat and can tolerate. Nigerian food

All these food and foodstuff can be bought. Albeit a bit expensive. But it's there. So I don't think I am missing anything.

I have gotten fresh snails in at the African Produce Store in Los Angeles and at an Asian grocery store in Fresno. even bought Milo and Nido milk at Walmart in Arkansas. I've bought correct Kulikuli and Garri Ijebu at one Lagos International Market in Denver. All those Nigerian kinds of fishes (alaran, panla and all) I get from the Asian grocery stores. There is even a guy here that will sell you a whole goat. He kills it, removes the hair, cuts it up and brings it to your house. All for $300 or thereabout. You go chop am tire

I buy fresh made suya, real mallam style in Houston. Anybody that knows Ahmed in Houston will know he makes bad-ass suya. Finger Licking in Houston and Mama Vero in LA sells good food too.

Vallarta Supermarkets carry lots of food. I buy fresh cowleg, Panla fish (they will even fry it for you sef) grin, beef, cowhead, Tatase, Rodo, Fanta and Coke(the kind in bottles like Naija own), fresh Catfish for nice spicy catfish peppersoup, crab, crayfish, Shaki, Roundabout, liver and all. Mexican cuisine is similar to ours

Farmer's market... the one around Finger Licking in Houston has anything you can possibly look for. Suya spice (I make suya well well), Custard, Yam, Plantain, Eko (the ones Ibo people call agidi), fresh Naija style bread (they sell those too in Kroger), Oloyin Beans, Yam flour, Semo, Poundo Yam, Noodles (Nigerian ones and not Ramen Noodles o), Ata Gbigbe, Naija Biscuits all sorts mehn. Enter there and you will be transported to Nigeria immediately. Make I even see if i fit find pictures sef.

Sorry for the long story, I love food ni grin grin The first thing I look for when I go to a new city is an African Restaurant or store.

Eyin cancel that finger licking place if u like their food then u no sabi better food
Re: 22 Foods Nigerians Miss Most While Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 13, 2015
shut:

I didn't grow up with such meals and can't start now.just like teaching old dog a new trick

So what other delicious meals do you eat apart from junk food?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

N50 Sachet Garri With Groundnut And Sugar Sold In Ogun State / Giant Bush Rat That Was Killed At My Workplace :PHOTOS / This Nigerian Man Has Masters Degree In Eating (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.