Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,197 members, 7,873,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:25 PM

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (61308 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by ccollins(m): 1:14pm On Sep 02, 2018
247notire:
But my dear, it's not only law firms that employ lawyers nw. many other industries need lawyers. Pls expand ur options. I work in a financial service firm and trust me, we need lawyers like mad. same for many other sectors. U'll still get to practise ur profession and earn well too.
whats the name so i can apply
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by ccollins(m): 1:40pm On Sep 02, 2018
tonimenia:
I have a Coursemate that graduated with a third class grade in 2007,

But, as am typing this now, he is working with Oil Company in Bonny Island-Rivers State.
wow,God is gracious and merciful
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by chiroyale(f): 8:28pm On Sep 03, 2018
queenfav:
So far,i am yet to get a job.Nairalanders,please if you have links to a job that pays fairly well please help me out here.Its not restricted to law firms.As it stands I am ready to work anywhere, even teaching in a school.I am slowly becoming depressed.Please treat this as very important.Thanks.

You've come a long way.. My dear! Reading your old post and recent, made me realize one thing.. Waiting time isn't wasted time.. God bless you!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 8:48am On Sep 04, 2018
chiroyale:

You've come a long way.. My dear! Reading your old post and recent, made me realize one thing.. Waiting time isn't wasted time.. God bless you!
Yes sis, God has been so good. I am always in awe of all He has done. Rather than being a job seeker, i now have people on my payroll.

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Pearlly123: 1:41am On Sep 05, 2018
Wow.. Thank God @queenfav...
What do you do now.... We would like you to share your success story with us.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by zuma4k(m): 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2018
queenfav:
Yes sis, God has been so good. I am always in awe of all He has done. Rather than being a job seeker, i now have people on my payroll.
What?... I just came across this post and I've gone through all the pages, just 3 years ago you were quite depressed and desperate, but look where you've found yourself now. I thank God for you, this serves as an inspiration to me.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Handsme(m): 5:39pm On Sep 07, 2018
Joeace3000:
What saddens me about your lamentation is that you think starting a business is 'being at your lowest ebb in life'. I graduated from UNIBEN with 2'2 in a relatively unknown course Physiology. The chances at getting a job was already short before i even left school, but i didn't sit down mopping and complaining that God hates me or should i go do something crazy to survive. Bcause of mind unrestricted open mind, I researched and in the course of doing that i discovered fiverr and i can say its been God all the way. From delivering a multitude of services there, i learned to write top notch Articles for top Blog and Website owners all over the world, I could design beautiful Logos, business cards, flyers, Ebook Covers and so many other designs i can't even remember. As if offering those weren't enough i learned how to create Explainer videos and whiteboard videos, web designing using coding and non coding with webflow.com, i leaned how to manage social media handles of top American and UK firms, even Law firms(imagine if i told them i was a Lawyer, like in your case), now with all these knowledge you think companies won't fight over me...Definitely they will and already are.

All these i learned and began offering on Fiverr because i opened my mind and saw possibilities beyond my career and implore you to be open minded too. I have offered them for many years and now i am bringing people in. The number of complaints like this on this forum prompted me to team up with a group of fellow fiverrians to present this.

[b]

Check out the complete Fiverr training packages HERE, get one and start offering unique services professionally on Fiverr while generating income in your room.

Fiverr is the world's foremost website for freelancers selling their skills starting from $5. That is $5 is the basic amount you can start selling a gig but you can have gig extras of upto $100, $200 and you can be making more than $1000, $2000 selling your skill on fiverr every month! For some people this may be too good to be true but it is true and hundreds of thousands are making money off it every day. all it requires is possessing the knowledge of how to build profitable accounts, optimizing them for constant orders and delivering with continuous positive reviews and high ratings.

The complete training packages covers five Hot in-demand services from Article Writing to Graphics Design, Video and Animation, Web Design and Social Media Management. Training videos created by our experts on each service covering opening a service specific professional fiverr account, creating attractive gigs with captivating gig images and gig videos, delivering orders, receiving your payments in Nigeria as well as tools on every service like Adobe Photoshop, to Camtasia for Gig images and Gig videos creation respectively along with tools specific to that service.

Learn how to create profitable accounts for each specific service, create attractive gigs and Develop specialized in-demand skills to deliver your orders as a professional, stop creating accounts that have no potential for profit.Get the skills that you can sell not only on fiverr and other freelance sites but sought by businesses offline, even better, create businesses for yourself and stop complaining about lack of jobs, wicked requirements or jobs already arranged for the connected[/b]
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 7:08am On Sep 08, 2018
V
zuma4k:
What?... I just came across this post and I've gone through all the pages, just 3 years ago you were quite depressed and desperate, but look where you've found yourself now. I thank God for you, this serves as an inspiration to me.
Thanks bro.. One thing is sure, God's plan for your life can only be delayed, can't be denied. Sometimes I shed tears in my showroom. I would think back to the days in ekiti i was being paid 10000 naira at my first job.How i was cooking a full pot of soup with 1000 naira. It is well... I just bless God for my life. Only God could have brought me this far. Its not by my efforts.

3 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by divinelove(m): 11:23am On Sep 08, 2018
queenfav:
VThanks bro.. One thing is sure, God's plan for your life can only be delayed, can't be denied. Sometimes I shed tears in my showroom. I would think back to the days in ekiti i was being paid 10000 naira at my first job.How i was cooking a full pot of soup with 1000 naira. It is well... I just bless God for my life. Only God could have brought me this far. Its not by my efforts.

you changed your mentality and everything changed. you started out thinking you must make money only via law practice the moment u changed that everything changed
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 3:28am On Sep 14, 2018
divinelove:

you changed your mentality and everything changed. you started out thinking you must make money only via law practice the moment u changed that everything changed
yea, exactly.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 6:45pm On Nov 16, 2018
I remembered this thread today and i shed tears of joy... God, you deserve all the glory.
If you are reading this, don't give up.. Things may be hard today, but God dey. My life is a big testimony.

4 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 6:46pm On Nov 16, 2018
Holyfield1:
Nooo...u didn't make any mistake
Your time has not yet come....When it comes it'll be like magic
You actually said it.. Its really like magic
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by acorntree(m): 8:25pm On Nov 16, 2018
queenfav:
I remembered this thread today and i shed tears of joy... God, you deserve all the glory.
If you are reading this, don't give up.. Things may be hard today, but God dey. My life is a big testimony.

Are you now currently practising law? Why
can't you share your real life experiences with up coming lawyers of the challenges they might face in the future, so as to act as a guide for them. You known the craziness our youth have, I want to be a lawyer without knowing the prospect of this profession.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 3:36am On Nov 17, 2018
acorntree:

Are you now currently practising law? Why
can't you share your real life experiences with up coming lawyers of the challenges they might face in the future, so as to act as a guide for them. You known the craziness our youth have, I want to be a lawyer without knowing the prospect of this profession.
I am not practicing. I own my own Human hair extensions brand.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Goddys(m): 8:55am On Nov 17, 2018
Everything queenfav stated in that post is real. I am about to give up practice or probably start on my own
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 9:03am On Nov 17, 2018
Goddys:
Everything queenfav stated in that post is real. I am about to give up practice or probably start on my own
It is well.. You'll figure everything out in due time.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by ekene247(m): 11:05pm On Nov 18, 2018
Currently, most law firms don't even pay at all talk more of the 10k you complained about.
The ones that pay has no vacancy and pick only first class when there is vacancy.
The best law firms do now is to accommodate young Lawyers and give them transportation fees whenever they are going to court.

The economic crisis is real coupled with thousands of lawyers leaving law school every year.

Some senior lawyers are taking advantage of these and are treating young lawyers like sub-human.
I have never seen a profession that doesn't care about their young ones like lawyers.
I am going through my own share of it now as I am searching for law firm to work with. I know God will help me
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by viazi: 6:43am On Nov 19, 2018
Whatever your situation is, don't stay at home doing nothing, if there is a law firm near yr house paying 15k accept and get a working(practical knowledge) but insist on doing yr own hustle. The money is in the Experience not the grades. A lawyer once served in my office, he wanted to go home after service to start applying for jobs. I told him to stay and gain experience...even though I did not need a lawyer then, I was paying him only 20k transport with full freedom to do his own thing. He is still using my office as I type and has decided not to apply for any job again because he is doing well. Above all be prayerful and be very humble. After law school reality always sets in because society and family expect so much from the big name (barrister) and this can cause serious frustration, be sincere and humble to start building yr career slowly.Also explore side hustle, technology has reduced the time we spend on legal work these days , so we have time to hustle money through other means. Stay positive.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by izzyybothe17: 8:23am On Nov 19, 2018
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.

Find money, travel out of the nation and never look back unless you wan send money to your parents
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by TheManofTomorrow(m): 3:59pm On Nov 19, 2018
THE END THEY SAY JUSTIFIES THE MEANS, its not how far but how well. Life generally comes with competition. I read the thread to the letter and I must say I'm nothing short of being impressed. There are areas in different fields waiting to be tapped into, all one needs is a game plan and an idea to tap into. All the rest depends on time.

Going to university nowadays is not the ultimate solution to most pple's financial fulfillment. They need a skill or two more to augment their certificate. I pity all those who will go to a university and after graduation enter the job market and finally find a 20k job or less and dwell in it. Those jobs should be inky meant to garner experience in ur choosen field. After the experience you zoom off for better opportunities or to create ur own opportunities. That's how its meant to be.

I pray the op finds financial liberation and fulfillment in your new chosen field IJN. Don't worry, no knowledge is wasted, I assure you.

Cc: queenfav

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by folake4u(f): 6:10pm On Nov 19, 2018
It will end in praise for all of us.
Amen!
smiley
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 19, 2018
Wow this an amazing transformation, God is great
we just need to be hopeful, I really feel motivated from your story
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Holyfield1(m): 12:17am On Nov 20, 2018
queenfav:
You actually said it.. Its really like magic
Oh,Glad you're finally getting there... I'm happy for you grin
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by ekene247(m): 6:55pm On Nov 20, 2018
viazi:
Whatever your situation is, don't stay at home doing nothing, if there is a law firm near yr house paying 15k accept and get a working(practical knowledge) but insist on doing yr own hustle. The money is in the Experience not the grades. A lawyer once served in my office, he wanted to go home after service to start applying for jobs. I told him to stay and gain experience...even though I did not need a lawyer then, I was paying him only 20k transport with full freedom to do his own thing. He is still using my office as I type and has decided not to apply for any job again because he is doing well. Above all be prayerful and be very humble. After law school reality always sets in because society and family expect so much from the big name (barrister) and this can cause serious frustration, be sincere and humble to start building yr career slowly.Also explore side hustle, technology
has reduced the time we spend on legal work these days , so we have time to hustle money through other means. Stay positive.

Thank you for this
But Senior Lawyers around don't even pay at all talk more of 15k.
The one I left after my NYSC still have my two months allowance with him. Even though I know how hard I really worked for him.
Seriously, if I have money to start my own firm, I would do because those that we should learn from see it as opportunity to involve in labour abuse.

I know it won't be easy for one to start but it becomes so bad when it has to be this way lawyers do theirs
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by speedyconnect3: 8:21pm On Dec 07, 2018
Goddys:

why do you want to quit?
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Lmaomen1(m): 5:28pm On Sep 17, 2020
How can someone who learned each law and everything on this theme think about that is was everything without seanse?! I really cannot understand. I would like to know laws, to know how to use them and to make myself being respected and listened to. In this world people pay a lot of money for lawyer services to help them and you have learned it and still have questions about this topic lol. Once I have had some problems with my insurance and I had to look for a lawyer. I was lucky to find this site https://www.blclawcenter.com and called there, made an appointment and this is. That guys helped me in 2 days to solve everything. Thanks them again!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Goors1n: 11:10pm On Sep 21, 2020
Lmaomen1:
How can someone who learned each law and everything on this theme think about that is was everything without seanse?! I really cannot understand. I would like to know laws, to know how to use them and to make myself being respected and listened to. In this world people pay a lot of money for lawyer services to help them and you have learned it and still have questions about this topic lol. Once I have had some problems with my insurance and I had to look for a lawyer. I was lucky to find this site https://www.blclawcenter.com and called there, made an appointment and this is. That guys helped me in 2 days to solve everything. Thanks them again!
Are these guys as good as you are telling us? Or we need to know something more?
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by olril17(m): 12:05am On Jun 20, 2021
queenfav:
It is well.. You'll figure everything out in due time.
also at a crossroad ma'am..have llb now,awaiting law school..have more passion for fashion..been thinking of not going to law school,wasting useful funds and concentrating on my fashion career..everyone in my family thinks I'm crazy...now I saw this thread.. hmnn.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 2:01pm On Jun 20, 2021
olril17:

also at a crossroad ma'am..have llb now,awaiting law school..have more passion for fashion..been thinking of not going to law school,wasting useful funds and concentrating on my fashion career..everyone in my family thinks I'm crazy...now I saw this thread.. hmnn.
This is dicey.In as much as the legal profession doesn't guarantee financial stability,i'd say get your BL from law school.After that you can dump your wig and gown, and follow your passion.You already invested 5 years studying law and bagging your LL.B,one year won't hurt to finish it up and move on to other things.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by olril17(m): 7:52pm On Jun 20, 2021
queenfav:
This is dicey.In as much as the legal profession doesn't guarantee financial stability,i'd say get your BL from law school.After that you can dump your wig and gown, and follow your passion.You already invested 5 years studying law and bagging your LL.B,one year won't hurt to finish it up and move on to other things.
thank you so much ma'am..your reply means alot to me..advice well understood ma.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Meet Michael Chukwuebuka Who Sells Bottled, Pure Water In Suit In Lagos (Photos) / Akwa Ibom Man Who Sells Doughnut Helped By A Nigerian Lawyer, Effiong / I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.