Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,610 members, 7,941,343 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 02:03 AM

The Forgotten Army Of WWII - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Forgotten Army Of WWII (2469 Views)

Military Raid: Israel Okwu Kanu Petitions UN, UK. Accuses Army Of Looting / Amnesty Accuses Nigerian Army Of Killing At Least 17 Unarmed Biafran Separatists / The Forgotten Army Of WWII: West Africa’s Soldiers In Burma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Missy89(f): 8:37pm On Aug 18, 2015
Where is the new defence section? We need one!

cc IbnSultaan ,Henry120

Nigerians made up more than half of the total force of 90,000 West African soldiers deployed to south east Asia after 1943, as part of the British army’s 81st and 82nd (West Africa) Divisions. But while the role of Indians and Gurkhas in the campaign to drive the Japanese out of Burma is well-known, allied commander General William Slim did not mention the African soldiers in his speech thanking the 14th army.
Seventy years on, many remain bitter that their contribution was never recognized fully. This is their story, of surviving two years of intense jungle warfare, of helping secure Victory over Japan, through exclusive, never before seen footage of West Africa divisions fighting in Burma, courtesy of the Imperial War Museum, and Royal Commonwealth Ex-Services League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWIHOIZVZtE

1 Like

Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Syphax(m): 8:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
What a wonderful video,didn't watch it tho.
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by rifasenate11(m): 8:42pm On Aug 18, 2015
Which nollywood movie be That?
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Missy89(f): 8:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
West African Order of Battle in the 14th Army

81st (West Africa) Division

General Officer Commanding : Major General Frederick Joseph Loftus-Tottenham

5 (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
5th Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
7th Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
8th Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
5th Light Battery, West African Artillery
3rd Field Company, West African Engineers
6 (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
1st Bn. The Gambia Regiment
1st Bn. The Sierra Leone Regiment
4th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
3rd Light Battery WAA
6th Field Company WAE
Divisional Units
11th (East Africa) Division Scouts
81st (West Africa) Infantry Division Regiment
1st Light Anti-Aircraft/Anti-Tank Regiment WAA
8th Field Park Company WAE
3 (West Africa) Infantry Brigade (detached to Special Force)

6th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
7th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
12th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment

82nd (West Africa) Division

General Officer Commanding : Major General George McIlree Stanton Bruce (replaced due to illness by Major General Hugh Charles Stockwell 12/01/1945)

1st (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
1st Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
2nd Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
3rd Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
2nd (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
1st Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
2nd Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
3rd Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
4th (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
5th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
9th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
10th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
Divisional Units
82nd (West Africa) Infantry Division Regiment (HQ Defence unit)
102 Light Regiment West African Artillery
1st Light Battery WAA
2nd Light Battery WAA
4th Light Battery WAA
42nd Mortar Regiment WAA
22nd Anti-Tank Regiment WAA
1st Field Company West African Engineers
2nd Field Company WAE
4th Field Company WAE
9th Field Park Company WAE

Wiki, Guardian
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Samuelkirk(m): 9:26pm On Aug 18, 2015
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 18, 2015
Missy89:

cc ,Henry120

Nigerians made up more than half of the total force of 90,000 West African soldiers deployed to south east Asia after 1943, as part of the British army’s 81st and 82nd (West Africa) Divisions. But while the role of Indians and Gurkhas in the campaign to drive the Japanese out of Burma is well-known, allied commander General William Slim did not mention the African soldiers in his speech thanking the 14th army.
Seventy years on, many remain bitter that their contribution was never recognized fully. This is their story, of surviving two years of intense jungle warfare, of helping secure Victory over Japan, through exclusive, never before seen footage of West Africa divisions fighting in Burma, courtesy of the Imperial War Museum, and Royal Commonwealth Ex-Services League.

Although I support having a Defence section, my problem is, can it really be self-sustaining? How far can a defence section go without the Nation having proper dedicated military journalists and Photo-journalists.

It seems like a herculean task to support a Defence section without dedicated defence news sources to draw stories and photos from.
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Missy89(f): 9:38pm On Aug 18, 2015
Henry120:

Although I support having a Defence section, my problem is, can it really be self-sustaining? How far can a defence section go without the Nation having proper dedicated military journalists and Photo-journalists.

It seems like a herculean task to support a Defence section without dedicated defence news sources to draw stories and photos from.

if it is not exclusive to Nigerian defence. it will be okay

1 Like

Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
Missy89:

if it is not exclusive to Nigerian defence. it will be okay
It would be a South-African dominated section!
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Nobody: 11:38pm On Aug 18, 2015
Missy89:

cc IbnSultaan ,Henry120

seun is yet to reply us on Defence section.
Nigeria soldiers played critical role in Burma. I remember watching an aljazeera video abt a Nigeria soldier experience in Burma
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Nobody: 11:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
Henry120:

defence journalist are lacking yes but we have a number of freelancers who supplemented that role. the section will not be abt Nigeria defence news alone. at least some of us will have a steady place to visit and rest from d gaga politics section.
seun do something
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by seunny4lif(m): 12:34am On Aug 19, 2015
angry angry
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by larryUG(m): 7:28pm On Aug 23, 2015
Defense section? Hell yea. I am in for this one. It won't be a Nigerian thing if it is to be successful. Seun please do something.
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 23, 2015
larryUG:
Defense section? Hell yea. I am in for this one. It won't be a Nigerian thing if it is to be successful. Seun please do something.
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Richhard(m): 10:09am On Aug 26, 2015
Missy89:
West African Order of Battle in the 14th Army

81st (West Africa) Division

General Officer Commanding : Major General Frederick Joseph Loftus-Tottenham

5 (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
5th Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
7th Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
8th Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
5th Light Battery, West African Artillery
3rd Field Company, West African Engineers
6 (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
1st Bn. The Gambia Regiment
1st Bn. The Sierra Leone Regiment
4th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
3rd Light Battery WAA
6th Field Company WAE
Divisional Units
11th (East Africa) Division Scouts
81st (West Africa) Infantry Division Regiment
1st Light Anti-Aircraft/Anti-Tank Regiment WAA
8th Field Park Company WAE
3 (West Africa) Infantry Brigade (detached to Special Force)

6th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
7th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
12th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment

82nd (West Africa) Division

General Officer Commanding : Major General George McIlree Stanton Bruce (replaced due to illness by Major General Hugh Charles Stockwell 12/01/1945)

1st (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
1st Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
2nd Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
3rd Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
2nd (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
1st Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
2nd Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
3rd Bn. The Gold Coast Regiment
4th (West Africa) Infantry Brigade
5th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
9th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
10th Bn. The Nigeria Regiment
Divisional Units
82nd (West Africa) Infantry Division Regiment (HQ Defence unit)
102 Light Regiment West African Artillery
1st Light Battery WAA
2nd Light Battery WAA
4th Light Battery WAA
42nd Mortar Regiment WAA
22nd Anti-Tank Regiment WAA
1st Field Company West African Engineers
2nd Field Company WAE
4th Field Company WAE
9th Field Park Company WAE

Wiki, Guardian

Am really dazed by your knowledge of foreign affairs, that's impressive and sexy missus smiley wink

1 Like

Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by Nickydrake(m): 9:36am On Oct 30, 2015
Thank you for your attempt to keep alive the memory of that death-dealing division of valiant African soldiers, who have come to be called the Forgotten Army simply because their daring accomplishments were willfully omitted by an Allied general, whose name I myself have forgotten, from a boring speech which no one remembers.

You will no doubt be thrilled to learn that their experience and exploits have been preserved and immortalised in what, in my unassailable opinion, is by far the best short story ever produced by a Nigerian. (This is especially so as I myself have been unable to publish mine, or, for that matter, to write it.)

Bombay's Republic is the story to which I refer, and I'm more than a little ashamed to say that I cannot recall the name of the author and am too lazy to search for it. (I am sure though that, in the unlikely event that he ever sees this post, the man will forgive that memory lapse as soon as he recovers from the pleasure that a writer must derive from an adoring review.)

The story itself is about a guy called Bombay, and his tour of duty in the rank, steamy jungles of Burma, where Nature and Nazis try to kill him, while the leeches in the swamps hope he does not die to soon so that they can suck his blood first. It is no surprise at all that he leaves home a man and returns a spotted leopard.

For those of you who are not so developed as to read a short story for its own beautiful sake, read it because it won the Caine prize.
Re: The Forgotten Army Of WWII by AreaFada2: 4:21am On Dec 17, 2015
Nice

(1) (Reply)

I’m Not Corrupt, I Never Looted Nigeria’s Money – IBB / Just Saw This On Facebook: Why Wouldn't Biafra ??? / Vanguard Broke The News About The Lagos-calabar Costal Rail, Not The President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.