Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,449 members, 7,917,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 02:19 AM

8 Steps To Investigating A Murder Crime- Zikclassiq - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 8 Steps To Investigating A Murder Crime- Zikclassiq (1443 Views)

Lady's Corpse Dumped On The Road In Anambra With A Murder Note (Photos) / Murder Suspect’s Son Tells Police: ‘Dad Told Me To Say Mum Drank Sniper’ (pic) / Man Goes To Life Imprisonment For Wife's Murder Crime. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Steps To Investigating A Murder Crime- Zikclassiq by zikclassiq(m): 10:45am On Aug 19, 2015
A young woman was killed in Ibadan, Nigeria. Her murderer took her body to a woodland area along the local Eruwa community to secretly bury. He buried her body but her head and some parts of her body were still exposed. The body was at an advanced stage of decomposition when it was found. There was high concentration of maggots around her cranial region(head) and other exposed body parts.
The police has invited
you to be part of the investigating team.
Q. As a Forensic Scientist, what procedures will you follow at the crime scene?

Having been invited to be part of the murder investigating team as a forensic scientist, I will establish communication with the crime scene management especially the senior investigating officer and other members of the team on arrival at the crime scene. Processing the crime scene shall be my principal assignment. Maintaining the integrity of the crime scene and any evidence recovered shall be my mission . I shall carry out this task by:

1. Securing The Crime Scene
This is by estimating the extent of area that will cover the area to be processed. I will ensure a considerable area of space is surrounded with the restraining tape in order to restrict access to trained and authorised personnel only. The objectives of this is to ensure the security of the investigation team and most importantly, maintain the integrity of the crime scene and potential evidence as much as possible.

2. Recording The Crime Scene.
This is to capture every available detail of the crime scene. I will ensure to retrieve relevant information from the first officer(s) arriving (FOA) at the crime scene. They may have information from eye witnesses as well as seeing first hand conditions of the crime scene before the arrival of the investigating team.
I will ensure that photographs and videos of the crime scene be appropriately taken with High Definition(HD) cameras. Sketches and drawings according to dimensions as well as detailed notes shall be taken. I will also make an audio recording of my findings throughout the investigation process. This will ensure I don't miss any detail that might be relevant in solving the crime.
Maintaining the integrity of the crime scene will ensure investigators have as close as possible the conditions and elements that were present when and after the crime was committed. Clues are preserved and could lead to suspect apprehension.

3. Systematic Crime Scene Logging
This is the deliberate and systematic documentation of all actions carried out at the crime scene. In simple terms, if officer A is transferring to officer B the wrist watch he recovered at the crime scene, his name, rank, evidence he is transferring, name of officer B and rank should be captured in the log book. Also officer B will sign that he has received the evidence and at so so time. This is called 'chain of custody' of the recovered physical evidence. This is to hold anyone responsible for handling evidence in order to reduce the incidence of contaminating physical evidence as much as possible.
During court proceedings, a brilliant lawyer can help to a very 'valuable evidence' useless or inadmissible due to possible manhandling, or contamination of evidence. There are standard procedures to follow when transferring physical evidence from place to place. If these are not followed, smart lawyers can poke at the loopholes due to the possibility of contamination.

4. Search And Recovery of Evidence.
This task involves trained personnel who will assess the crime scene for potential evidence and attempt to recover it in a way that the integrity of the evidence is not compromised. Since it is a murder case, the search for possible murder weapon, victim and perpetrator personal items such as rings, phones, handkerchief s etc will be a priority. A forensic archaeologist will be needed to exhume the partially buried remain. I shall attempt to recover shoe print impression around the burial area. At advanced stage of decomposition, the body will be examined by a forensic entomologist who will recover the maggots in other to determine the possible time of death.

Full article
http://agentzico..com/2015/07/investigating-murder-crime-scene.html?m=1
Re: 8 Steps To Investigating A Murder Crime- Zikclassiq by boboLIL(m): 11:00am On Aug 19, 2015
Thanchuu!
Re: 8 Steps To Investigating A Murder Crime- Zikclassiq by zikclassiq(m): 11:24am On Aug 19, 2015
boboLIL:
Thanchuu!
thanchuu too...We should hav rules on investigating murders at crime scenes..I Don't think Nigerian police have any such guidelines
Re: 8 Steps To Investigating A Murder Crime- Zikclassiq by emmapk1: 3:50pm On Oct 27, 2022
The thought might be scary at first but if you think about it, there are many such incidents that we come across in our daily lives. But it is for your own health that it is recommended you do not stay beside the dead body for too long. There are various kinds of germs and bacteria lurking around it which can affect you and your health. That is why you must immediately call a death cleaning service. It can be the right choice for you. They can bring you a wide variety of cleanup solutions, starting from hoarding, suicide, and even crime scene cleanup to even medical waste disposals.

(1) (Reply)

(photo) See What A Woman Did To Her Son For Stealing N5000 / Thug Breaks In Stranger’s Garage, But Guess Who Was Already There? / Fulani Herdsmen Write Affa,akpakwume And Nze Towns In Udi L.G.A Of Enugu State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.