Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,399 members, 7,881,447 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:51 PM

Brazilian Ghost Town Where Inhabitants Lose Their Faces If Out In The SUN! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Brazilian Ghost Town Where Inhabitants Lose Their Faces If Out In The SUN! (908 Views)

Brazilian Baby Thought To Have Died Survives After Being Buried Alive For 8 Hour / Brazilian Lady Born Without Vagina Has One Made Out Of Fish Skin - Pictures / White Man Lies In The Sun In Niger-Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brazilian Ghost Town Where Inhabitants Lose Their Faces If Out In The SUN! by Tedassie(m): 12:14pm On Aug 19, 2015
Brazilian villager Djalma Jardin had just one eye which he was unable to close and he spent his days indoors due to a rare genetic disorder.
His village, Araras in the state of Sao Paolo resembles a ghost town because most residents suffer from Xeroderma Pigmentosum (XP), which means their skin is unable to repair damage caused by ultraviolet light.
Of the 800 people in the village, 600 are affected by XP. Of those, 20 have full-blown symptoms and are susceptible to an aggressive form of skin cancer.
Mr Jardin's face was ravaged by the disease, leaving him with just one eye. He slept with a plaster
over it because damage to his eyelid meant he couldn't close it.
'If I go out I feel the sun burning me,' he said. 'I go to bed and wake up the next day with a small spot, and then in a couple of days it's growing quickly, like the one I got in my eye which never stopped growing. It's an awful disease, terrible.' Following the interview, Mr Jardin's condition worsened and the illness sadly cost him his life.
His family has already lost another relative to the disorder and another of Mr Jardin's brothers and his sister Claudia are also affected by it.
Dairy farmer Deide has also lost much of his face to the incurable condition. He said:
'I had surgery to remove the palate and the right jawbone. Without the prosthesis I couldn't talk.'Store owner Gleice Machado was keen to find out what was causing the epidemic, after seeing so many of those affected coming through her doors.
'I had no idea what it was and why they were disfigured,' she said. 'Some believed it was a sexually transmitted disease. Others said they believed this was a punishment from God.'She raised awareness of the condition through the local press and the story was picked up by the national media.
Sao Paulo-based genetics biologist Dr Carlos Menck recognised the condition and was keen to know why it was so rampant in the village.
He said:
'We went to the area and tried to identify genetic mutations affecting the patients.
'Until not long ago, people believed it was a contagious disease, but it's an inherited disease.'After running tests on all of the villagers, Dr Menck and his team discovered 600 of the 800 villagers were carrying a recessive XP gene. It could be traced back to the families of three Portuguese settlers.
Dermatologist Sulamita Chaibub said:
'In Araras there is a concentration of people with the faulty gene who keep marrying each other, so the gene becomes dominant and the disease appears.'There is no cure for XP but doctors have now warned villagers to stay out of the sun completely - and it is hoped this advice will save many lives.
Dr Menck said:
'It is not possible to cure them immediately. But I hope perhaps in the future, maybe in 20 or 30 years time.'
Residents who suffer XP talk during a meeting in the village. Their umbrellas, which protect them from the sun, surround them
The story of Araras village features in a new series of Body Bizarre at 9pm on Thursday August 20 on TLC.
DailyMailUK

1 Share

Re: Brazilian Ghost Town Where Inhabitants Lose Their Faces If Out In The SUN! by Yehman(m): 12:15pm On Aug 19, 2015
Hian
Re: Brazilian Ghost Town Where Inhabitants Lose Their Faces If Out In The SUN! by Luckylife(m): 12:16pm On Aug 19, 2015
That scary, some people are suffering because they are living while others are killing themselves because of material and worldly things. GOD have mercy on us
Re: Brazilian Ghost Town Where Inhabitants Lose Their Faces If Out In The SUN! by endy4oxide(m): 12:16pm On Aug 19, 2015
hmm
Re: Brazilian Ghost Town Where Inhabitants Lose Their Faces If Out In The SUN! by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 19, 2015
obara Jesus
Re: Brazilian Ghost Town Where Inhabitants Lose Their Faces If Out In The SUN! by Tedassie(m): 1:17pm On Aug 22, 2015
Quite disturbing...imagine a child with such disorder going thru such ordeal!

(1) (Reply)

No More Condoms} Scientists Finally Found A Cure For HIV! / 7 Early Signs Of Type 2 Diabetes. / Photos: Yuck! Would You Try This Spa Leech Facials?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.