Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,719 members, 7,941,737 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 12:21 PM

What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? (44927 Views)

JAMB Adopts Item Response Theory To Reduce Possibility Of Guessing Answers Right / WAEC's Response To NGO Seeking To Sponsor Best Students / A Lecturer's Epic Response To A Student.(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by missKiffy(f): 8:50am On Aug 21, 2015
offspec:
after una go say africans dey answer question with question undecided
Lol cheesy
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by missKiffy(f): 8:51am On Aug 21, 2015
jnrbayano:
This response is archaic.

Answering "fine, how about you?" doesn't make one a poor English teacher.
Exactly
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by missKiffy(f): 8:52am On Aug 21, 2015
bunmioguns:
How do you do?

The correct response is

Gbogbo wa la dudu ni naijiria

grin
Lol cheesy
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by MrAnonTAC: 8:53am On Aug 21, 2015
how do you do too

GO CHECK : TRUE ANONYMOUS CONFESSION BLOG
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by denitro(m): 8:53am On Aug 21, 2015
What is the correct response to the question "How do you do"?
Is it "how do you do" or "fine" or something else? Why?
ANSWER WIKI

“How do you do?” is usually a formal greeting used on the first occasion of meeting or introduction. It is often accompanied by shaking hands or nodding heads, sometimes even outright bowing.

It is not meant as a question and an answer is not expected. The reply “How do you do?” is appropriate.

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-correct-response-to-the-question-How-do-you-do
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by nefertitiram: 8:54am On Aug 21, 2015
lampardizik:
Hello Nairalanders
so yesterday i learnt that the correct response to "how do you do?" is "how do you do".
it made no sense to me because i thought the logical response would be "fine" or "good" or stuffs like that,that is why i have brought this to NL to clarify. So professors in the house,let us know which is the correct response to "How Do You Do?".
"fine" or "how do you do"

HOW DO YOU DO TOO?
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by freeage7(m): 8:56am On Aug 21, 2015
cherylsmith:
The response to "how do you do? " is "how do you do? "
Don't disturb yourself jo. Whether the op no do "use of english"
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by pgrex20(m): 8:56am On Aug 21, 2015
Simple.... "how do you do!!!" I was thought that back in secondary school!!!
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by simplynola(m): 8:58am On Aug 21, 2015
No, no be me do you. That's the correct answer
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by feeloscar(m): 8:58am On Aug 21, 2015
holysina:
We used to have another option, at least for some social situations, but the ‘How do you do?’ greeting (to which the apparently ludicrous correct response is to repeat the question back ‘How do you do?’) is now regarded by many as somewhat archaic, and is no longer the universal standard greeting. The ‘Nice day, isn’t it?’ exchange must, however, be understood in the same light, and not taken literally: ‘How do you do?’ is not a real question about health or well-being, and ‘Nice day, isn’t it?’ is not a real question about the weather.
So in this usage, "How do you do?" wasn't an actual question about the person: it was just a meaningless greeting, and for instance what one might say when introduced to someone (in lieu of "Pleased to meet you"wink, presumably while tipping one's hat. In reply, the other person, also wishing to make the same meaningless greeting, would say "How do you do". Note that "How do you do" in this usage was even spoken as a statement, not as a question (i.e., without a rising tone at the end).

These days "How do you do?" is more likely to be interpreted as an actual question. Interestingly, as n0nChun observes, one does sometimes hear a similar exchange these days, with "What's up" getting the reply "What's up".
Ur head dey there. Wats up
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by juman(m): 9:00am On Aug 21, 2015
I dey well.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by bukkab: 9:01am On Aug 21, 2015
I think correct response should be '' I DO YOU DO''.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by jafia(m): 9:01am On Aug 21, 2015
The correct response is. How do u do too.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Atlantian: 9:03am On Aug 21, 2015
I do not respond to that question, I always feel its intrusive. I simply shake my head nonchalantly.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by AnanseK(m): 9:04am On Aug 21, 2015
The correct response is - " How do you do". Has always been like that.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by owabige: 9:09am On Aug 21, 2015
It is simply "how do u do too"
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 9:11am On Aug 21, 2015
If u do me I do you
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Toks2008(m): 9:11am On Aug 21, 2015
All this slavish languages...Tarrr angry

You ask me how do you do i will answer cool,fine or whatever and follow up by asking "and you?"

I may not be a prof in English but i have common sense that tells me that's a question that needs answering.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Bdemmy(m): 9:11am On Aug 21, 2015
How do you do ladies and gentlemen?

The answer is: 'we are so happy happy happy happy haaaaappy....dancing bonsue, singing bonsue....dancing bubble singing bubble everyday...
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by holysina(m): 9:17am On Aug 21, 2015
feeloscar:
Ur head dey there. Wats up

sharp boss. hope your good!
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Toks2008(m): 9:18am On Aug 21, 2015
holysina:
We used to have another option, at least for some social situations, but the ‘How do you do?’ greeting (to which the apparently ludicrous correct response is to repeat the question back ‘How do you do?’) is now regarded by many as somewhat archaic, and is no longer the universal standard greeting. The ‘Nice day, isn’t it?’ exchange must, however, be understood in the same light, and not taken literally: ‘How do you do?’ is not a real question about health or well-being, and ‘Nice day, isn’t it?’ is not a real question about the weather.
So in this usage, "How do you do?" wasn't an actual question about the person: it was just a meaningless greeting, and for instance what one might say when introduced to someone (in lieu of "Pleased to meet you"wink, presumably while tipping one's hat. In reply, the other person, also wishing to make the same meaningless greeting, would say "How do you do". Note that "How do you do" in this usage was even spoken as a statement, not as a question (i.e., without a rising tone at the end).

These days "How do you do?" is more likely to be interpreted as an actual question. Interestingly, as n0nChun observes, one does sometimes hear a similar exchange these days, with "What's up" getting the reply "What's up".

Nice explanation but in yoruba language.how do you do means "bawoni" or "sowa" and we simple answer, mowapa meaning im good and then follow up by asking sewapa meaning "and you"

Honestly may GOD save us from all these slavish colloquial mentality.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Emblj: 9:18am On Aug 21, 2015
The response to "how do you do" is "how do you do".

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by shut(f): 9:21am On Aug 21, 2015
The Queen's English requires how do you do and i do do do .

Weird kinda right? cheesy
That was what I was taught though but 'i'm fine/I'm okay,thank you nd you?' are okay alternative
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by holysina(m): 9:27am On Aug 21, 2015
Toks2008:

Nice explanation but in yoruba language.how do you do means "bawoni" or "sowa" and we simple answer, mowapa meaning im good and then follow up by asking sewapa meaning "and you"

Honestly may GOD save us from all these slavish colloquial mentality.

lol, for their mind they want to confuse us, any how them like make them change am, we go help them polish am. wink wink
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by SpeedyConnect(m): 9:33am On Aug 21, 2015
Go tell that to an elder here make him tear u slap and swear for u
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by fpeter(f): 9:40am On Aug 21, 2015
Long ago, I was told to respond "how do you, do too"

Though it sounds somehow sha but i think it is correct
Abi na, Ques:How do you do?
Ans: I do fine grin
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Googleus(m): 9:44am On Aug 21, 2015
dodo
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by customised87: 9:46am On Aug 21, 2015
olafum1:
'i do do' should be ur response bro

Thats very wrong!! The correct reply is "How do u do?" But the intonation sounds like when you say "I do do"
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by paris10: 9:52am On Aug 21, 2015
How do you do tends to be derogatory and commanding if one is expecting to hear response like " I'm fine, thank you".

In the corporate world, any compliment that tends to ask question, is often met with the same words used in asking such question. That balances the equation and doesn't put one above another.

In other words, in a sane society like Nigeria, the " corporate mentality" doesn't exist. How are you? must be met with " I'm fine, thank you".

Let us just say the white man really wanna confuse our language. They want us to ignore our culture which is lalastical to me.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by kunle75(m): 9:54am On Aug 21, 2015
lampardizik:
Hello Nairalanders
so yesterday i learnt that the correct response to "how do you do?" is "how do you do".
it made no sense to me because i thought the logical response would be "fine" or "good" or stuffs like that,that is why i have brought this to NL to clarify. So professors in the house,let us know which is the correct response to "How Do You Do?".

you response should be HOW DO YOU DO , simple
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by wtfCode: 9:57am On Aug 21, 2015
i no do.
Re: What Is The Right Response To "How Do You Do? by Fuadx1(m): 9:58am On Aug 21, 2015
Yes, that was how we were tought in the secondary school "how do you do" but most at times people go with the common mistake of "am doing fine"
lampardizik:
Hello Nairalanders

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hilarious Facts About Most Nigerian Universities / Meet Nigeria's 42-yr-old JSS1 Student And Her Son, In Same School [photo] / UNIBEN vs AAU Fight Dirty On Twitter.(see hilarious tweet)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.