Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,628 members, 7,878,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 07:29 AM

Who Knows Python? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Who Knows Python? (4039 Views)

Who Knows About Ladder Logic Programming??? / Who Knows Software Programming Companies In Ikeja Or Abuja / Who Knows Phone Programming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Knows Python? by alexis(m): 4:07pm On Oct 01, 2006
qleyo, sbucareer,

Anyone in-house with good python skills. If yes, can we start a python tutorial?
Re: Who Knows Python? by alexis(m): 6:29pm On Oct 03, 2006
ok, since no one has any idea; I will start a python thread. I just started using it and I like it so I will start pretty soon
Re: Who Knows Python? by yewand(f): 5:46pm On Oct 23, 2006
hi, alexis. i am sort of into python myself. why don't u mail me at bayo@splasherstech.com ?
Re: Who Knows Python? by Kahuna: 9:45pm On Oct 23, 2006
Just hopping into the Python loop meself. Think it's a cool though. Somewhat similar to Perl. Methinks it's growing in popularity in part because it is one of the 3 languages used @ Google. Sure, I'd love to contribute to any tutorial to help others jump on board.
Re: Who Knows Python? by alexis(m): 5:18pm On Oct 26, 2006
Yewand/Kahuna,

Just started using python like 6 months ago and found it very good. I wanted to know if there were folks in-house that had good python skills. I will like to use python for web programming mainly.

Can we start a tutorial or something?
Re: Who Knows Python? by Seun(m): 7:25pm On Oct 26, 2006
The problem with python is that it's more inefficient and bloated than it really needs to be. So if you use it for web applications or desktop applications, your programs will run slower and use more memory. If not for that problem, Python would be the most popular programming language in the world right now. Ouch.

To answer your question, I used to do a bit of python programming (though now I strongly favor the use of PHP for web applications and VIsual Basic or Delphi for desktop applications). Let's roll!
Re: Who Knows Python? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:19pm On Oct 26, 2006
i dropped python some months ago but i guess i will pick it up again and start using it. I heard google, NASA makes use how true is that?
Re: Who Knows Python? by alexis(m): 4:58pm On Oct 27, 2006
Seun,

I will not agree with you - let me put it this way, which language is faster, compiled or interpreted language? python is fast enough to do web development i.e try PSP, just like PHP compiled with mod_python; finally got it working today. It may not be fast like C if you are doing advanced scientific programming.

Google uses python extensively, so does NASA, I know yahoo run some of their scripts using python i.e http://email.people.yahoo.com/py/psAdvSearch.py

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Knows Python? by darth: 5:26pm On Oct 27, 2006
Aha you ppl r using a programming language called 'Python', Ori Iya mi oh, wonders will neva end u will now com and say they are chassing you in dreams, LOL

Just kidding, I would like to learn but from afar it seems a little tricky and I wish i had the time but if it's as cool as you guys say it is just might give it a shot

P.S: I'm scared of Regexs

1 Like

Re: Who Knows Python? by lexfrosty: 6:44pm On Oct 27, 2006
I just need someone to list what i need to start writing python programs, thats all.
presently, JAVA is enough for me, but wont mind python cheesy
Re: Who Knows Python? by sbucareer(f): 2:11pm On Nov 14, 2006
seun:
The problem with python is that it's more inefficient and bloated than it really needs to be So if you use it for web applications or desktop applications, your programs will run slower and use more memory

I agree with Seun. Python is very productive script language. It was developed in 1990 by Van Rossum, his initial strategy was scripting, like Java, Sun initial strategy was web.

But python is used in large areas of programming including the initial concept, which is scripting and now includes GUI, web, OS, RedHat uses python for their installation script.

Python is relatively slower compare to other languages. But this is not noticeable on a small application but will definitely on a large enterprise information systems.

@Alex, I just noticed this post, why would you want to learn or teach python? Python is dead easy to learn. You don't require anyone to teach you python. Are we spoon feeding these newbies? There is no college or university that will start yo with script language or python, the premise is to teach fully fledge OOP language like C++/Java. If you can comprehend these languages learning python would be like drinking orange juice

1 Like

Re: Who Knows Python? by Coleslove: 10:50pm On Mar 31, 2007
Think i have a kinda E-book tutorial on Python, for beginners. Mail me and i'll just send it to you. This is the best i've got.
Re: Who Knows Python? by MAYORIN1(m): 8:05pm On Apr 01, 2007
Learning Python isn't that difficult, as a matter of fact Python is one of the easiest modern-day High Level Programming language. The Codes and Sythax are easy to understand and you need not do much memorizing like other HLP and OOP.

I want to go into Web and System Programming as a career, I did lots of research on the Net as to which Language to start my voyage with.  I discovered that python is the programming language to start with.

The best way to learn python is to use internet tutorial and E-books, and your first point of call should be www.python.org there you will get to know all about the programme Google and NASA employ for some of their witty projects.

Then you can do some goggling
http://www.google.com.ng/search?hl=en&q=Python+Programming+Tutorial+&meta=

depending on your entry level, if your are a debutante in programming then try

Thinking like a scientist - Python version www.ibiblio.org.
I wish u the best in your adventure and make sure the python doesn't bite u tongue
Re: Who Knows Python? by alexis(m): 10:05pm On Apr 03, 2007
I am still using it and I enjoy it. With all the super computers we have around these days, speed is not an issue.
Re: Who Knows Python? by MAYORIN1(m): 11:08pm On Apr 03, 2007
Don't mind them guy Python is da bomb. If you prolific at it - you can do virtually any pro stuff with it
Re: Who Knows Python? by alexis(m): 7:51am On Apr 04, 2007
thanks Mayorini,
Re: Who Knows Python? by Seun(m): 12:27pm On Apr 04, 2007
Best Python tutorial: http://www.diveintopython.org/ wink Don't be put off by the name "Python".

Python is ideal for any application that doesn't require maximum performance or minimum application size.
Re: Who Knows Python? by davidt(m): 2:54pm On Apr 07, 2007
I have quite a journey in programming. I started out with Qbasic, VB, then C and guess where I have now ended up? I am now a great fan of the Python Programming Language. It is very true that NASA, Google, AstraZeneca and other high brow companies use Python. Python is extremely easy to learn. I would recommend Python to any one just starting out in Computer Programming. I have a library of eBooks that I would not mind sharing. If you need them, you could mail me on davidtadamojr@yahoo.com.

Python is especially good for quick programming. It is very useful when you need productivity in little time. Many well-respected programmers recommend python. These programmers include Eric Steven Raymond and lot of others.
Re: Who Knows Python? by davidt(m): 2:58pm On Apr 07, 2007
Python is really easy to learn. I have had quite a journey with programming languages. I started out with Qbasic, then VB, then C and guess where I ended up? I am now a great fan of the Python Programming language and I would encourage anyone just starting out with computer programming to embrace whole-heartedly.

Python is especially good when you need high productivity in little time. It is very true that NASA, google, AstraZeneca and other high-brow companies use python including Yahoo! Many professional programmers of high repute recommend Python. An example is Eric Steven Raymond, if you have heard of him.
Re: Who Knows Python? by davidt(m): 3:01pm On Apr 07, 2007
Thumbs up! Mayorin and Alexis, we are together in this Python business and it's the best. Keep it up Brothers!
Re: Who Knows Python? by Seun(m): 6:43pm On Apr 07, 2007
How do you distribute a program written in Python without exposing the source code to potential pirates?
Re: Who Knows Python? by alexis(m): 11:15pm On Apr 07, 2007
As a closed-source program, you can handle it in several ways. First of all, what type of closed-source app is it?. If it is a web app that runs off a server, I don't see how pirates can see the source code as the server will process the app before returning it to the client, much like php, jsp and asp.

If it's a stand-alone app that installs on a computer - you can package it as an exe
Re: Who Knows Python? by davidt(m): 12:51pm On Apr 09, 2007
To package a python program as an exe, you would need something like PY2EXE. This program helps you convert your .py programs to .exe. It can be downloaded from

http://www.py2exe.org/

You can get a tutorial from

http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial
Re: Who Knows Python? by alexis(m): 9:46pm On Apr 09, 2007
ok,

And if you want a packaged python program to run on other platforms aside windows, what do you do?
Re: Who Knows Python? by Seun(m): 10:11pm On Apr 10, 2007
Hmmmm. I can't answer that question, but here's an excellent page with python programming snippets:
http://sebsauvage.net/python/snyppets/#beginner
Re: Who Knows Python? by alexis(m): 12:11am On Apr 11, 2007
thanks Seun,

it was a good read.
Re: Who Knows Python? by Ajibel(m): 10:55pm On Oct 28, 2013
Bump

1 Like

Re: Who Knows Python? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 28, 2018
Bump
Re: Who Knows Python? by billpete89: 9:17pm On Dec 28, 2018
Me I really want to learn Python, pls if there is any WhatsApp group for learning pls add me o 07037283355
Re: Who Knows Python? by Collinsanele: 7:50am On Dec 29, 2018
I'm a pythonista.
YouTube and Google should be your best friend.

Python is relatively easy to learn. I advice you to learn only Python for like 4months and even more.

Happy coding!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Knows Python? by Nobody: 5:26am On Dec 31, 2018
People always complain that Python is slow. If you really know Python you'll know there are many ways trivialize this "slowness" of at thing.
Re: Who Knows Python? by Nobody: 5:26am On Dec 31, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

Build A Bare Bones Reddit Clone With Python And Flask (hands On Tutorial Thread) / What Programming Languages Have You Used? / Digital Map Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.