Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,889 members, 7,976,313 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 04:03 AM

Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child (1173 Views)

These Ten Countries Can Sell Citizenship To You / What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? / Nigerian Lady Gets U.S. Citizenship After 17 Years Of Waiting. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child by shanaka29: 6:28pm On Aug 21, 2015
Hi everyone,

My hubby and i are both E.U citizen and are expecting our first child.
Since the very beginning, hubby suggested that i give birth in the US.
I said why not, if we can afford it why not give our baby more options in life ?
Now tho, the pregnancy is complicated and giving birth in the US could cost us thousands of dollars (vs 0 in europe).
We could end up with a bank loan to cover the fees.
Do you think it's worth it ?
Is US citizenship that important for a EU citizen when you don't live there, just for a "backup" or "bonus" option for the future ?
Re: Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child by worry359(m): 6:32pm On Aug 21, 2015
shanaka29:

Hi everyone,

My hubby and i are both E.U citizen and are expecting our first child.
Since the very beginning, hubby suggested that i give birth in the US.
I said why not, if we can afford it why not give our baby more options in life ?
Now tho, the pregnancy is complicated and giving birth in the US could cost us thousands of dollars (vs 0 in europe).
We could end up with a bank loan to cover the fees.
Do you think it's worth it ?
Is US citizenship that important for a EU citizen when you don't live there, just for a "backup" or "bonus" option for the future ?

No!
Re: Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child by delishpot: 6:36pm On Aug 21, 2015
If you have good medi care in your home country then stay put. Cos that is the only justifiable reason to travel with a high risk pregnancy.
Re: Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child by achinaboy(m): 10:09pm On Aug 21, 2015
if you are western European citizens, I wonder what makes America better, America could be better,if you were a Romanian or Poland sitizens

2 Likes

Re: Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child by Ralphlauren(m): 10:23pm On Aug 21, 2015
Not worth it in my opinion.

The US passport is only "useful" in the US. You will need a visa/work permit as an american citizen to work or school in any European country or any other country for that matter. A US citizen needs a visa/work permit to live long term/work in Canada that's just "next door".

However, holding the passport of any EU country gives you the opportunity to live, work and study in any of the EU member state countries. "Amazing" countries like UK, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, France...

Apart from the new entrants into the EU that have certain restrictions, older members aren't restricted.

Besides, after paying so much taxes in the EU and you are eligible for free healthcare, why go all the way down to the US to pay for healthcare. Leaving a country where you are eligible for free healthcare and then securing a bank loan to pay for healthcare in the US is a foolish thing to do in my own opinion.

Finally, a US citizen resident outside the US must declare/pay taxes on any income received outside the US except he or she renounces the citizenship.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child by NaLaugh: 7:49am On Aug 22, 2015
As Ralphlauren mentioned, you are taxed on your world income, as an American citizen.
If you imagine your child would want to live in the US in the future, then it might be worth it. Otherwise, maybe not.

It's a gift and a curse, of sorts. I have to pay taxes on any business income I receive from Nigeria. Double taxation sucks hard.
Even if I relocate to Nigeria, Uncle Sam still gets his cut yearly.

That said, my take is this. If the cost will put significant financial stress on your family, then avoid it.
If you feel you can swing it, then go for it.

Worst case scenario, s/he can always renounce American citizenship in the future, if s/he does not live here, and it proves to be a financial burden (taxes).

Good luck!
Re: Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child by Chillis: 7:53am On Aug 22, 2015
I'm sure you and your hubby are Nigerians .

Typical.

Pls stay in your acquired civilized country and give birth to your baby.

Except you want to keep living life of burrowing.

Ending up working throughout life to get a good retirement fund.

Where una go come hide the nigerian passport?
Re: Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 22, 2015
I think your focus is wrong.
You are trying to negotiate the citizenship of a child who is yet to be born?

You said your pregnancy is complicated, your focus should be getting the best healthcare for safe delivery not what country she would be born.

You know if complications happen midflight they will turn the plane around oh.

Abeg face your pikin(s)

1 Like

Re: Seeking Dual Citizenship US- E.U. For Your Child by claremont(m): 11:44am On Aug 22, 2015
The free healthcare in the UK alone is worth a lot. A US citizen might get paid a lot more for the same job as compared to a British citizen, but when we take out the amount paid for healthcare in the US, there is not much difference really. In addition, the freedom of movement within the EU is also very beneficial.

If you have the money to spend, you can choose to go have the baby in the US for the passport. The point is that there is no remarkable benefit to an EU citizen if he/she acquires US citizenship that member countries of the EU cannot provide.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News! Malaysia MH370 Found In Phillipines With Skeletons / Nigeria International Passport / Inside The US ₦117b Air Force One That Includes Private Suite And Medical Center

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.