Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,212 members, 7,887,561 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:39 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1024) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4556918 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1021) (1022) (1023) (1024) (1025) (1026) (1027) ... (3713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by stevenadelowo(m): 8:55am On Aug 25, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ojolfc(m): 10:16am On Aug 25, 2018
Good morning to you Sirs,
What could have been a cause for a well *conga* to get dry and solution to it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mgbadike80: 10:53am On Aug 25, 2018
drkay:

Thank you sir, I'm actually a novice when it comes to building and this platform has been very helpful.
1&2- I'll tell the builder to look into it. I could not figure that out on my own and we didn't discuss that when he was explaining to me.
3- The dining is not going to be walled off. He said there are going to be pillars and archs there.
The omission of the living room upstairs is deliberate. Its for a very small conservative family.
Any idea on what to expect in terms of cost? Thank you for your contribution sir.
he has a valid observation on the doors, the kitchen lobby would be dark if you install that extra door, the staircase is supposed to throw light into the lobby.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mgbadike80: 11:00am On Aug 25, 2018
Ojolfc:
lol @conga. I think you meant the cause of a dry well. the depth of a well among other things determines whether the well would have water seasonally or through out the year. so it should be dug deeper. other factors that affects the well are the type of rocks in the area, the topography of the area and the amount of wells or boreholes in the area that are all drawing water from the same water bearing rocks ( the aquifer ).

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ojolfc(m): 12:43pm On Aug 25, 2018
Mgbadike80:
lol @conga. I think you meant the cause of a dry well. the depth of a well among other things determines whether the well would have water seasonally or through out the year. so it should be dug deeper. other factors that affects the well are the type of rocks in the area, the topography of the area and the amount of wells or boreholes in the area that are all drawing water from the same water bearing rocks ( the aquifer ).

Thank you so much despite the raining season we can't pump for 2minutes.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mgbadike80: 1:34pm On Aug 25, 2018
Ojolfc:

Thank you so much despite the raining season we can't pump for 2minutes.
check to see if other wells in the same area are experiencing similar problems. consider digging deeper into the underground rocks.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 5:26pm On Aug 25, 2018
With the cost of stamped concrete above my budget (550 sqm), I am going with interlocking paver. Before I do, I would I need feedback on certain things about interlock.

After interlock bricks are set and compacted, is it possible to fill in the crack with a dry mixture of cement and fine sand (1:10)? If the land is solid, there shouldn't be movement leading to cracks. The whole idea here is to prevent weed from growing in between the crack.

Can interlock bricks be washed and sealed like stamped concrete?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:27pm On Aug 25, 2018
nwaorlu:
With the cost of stamped concrete above my budget (550 sqm), I am going with interlocking paver. Before I do, I would I need feedback on certain things about interlock.

After interlock bricks are set and compacted, is it possible to fill in the crack with a dry mixture of cement and fine sand (1:10)? If the land is solid, there shouldn't be movement leading to cracks. The whole idea here is to prevent weed from growing in between the crack.

I understand we've discussed the feasibility of painting interlocking sometime ago but I will try to respond to the best of my ability.
In as much as the interlock bricks are on level and stable ground, it can be filled with admixtures that would further minimize the inevitable thermal expansion of the bricks under hot weather.
I've supplied a contractor that used floor paint on interlock brick and it covered the space but I'm going to go a step further here.
Filling the space in between the brick is akin to concrete driveway or concrete surface repairs.
The space in between can be filled with a mixture of smooth sand with low clay content and cement. The water used to mixing it should be mixed with acrylic binder in a ratio one to three.
This would make the set admixture a bit flexible without easily cracking.
The paint or sealant could best be incorporated with anti growth additive in substantial quantity so that if there is a micro crack, weed would not be able to attach on the floor surface.
I handled the renovation of a cracked floor and repainting some years ago and I posted it in one of my threads here: https://www.nairaland.com/2797941/renovation-pictures-recreational-courts
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 6:45pm On Aug 25, 2018
gbadexy:

I understand we've discussed the feasibility of painting interlocking sometime ago but I will try to respond to the best of my ability.
In as much as the interlock bricks are on level and stable ground, it can be filled with admixtures that would further minimize the inevitable thermal expansion of the bricks under hot weather.
I've supplied a contractor that used floor paint on interlock brick and it covered the space but I'm going to go a step further here.
Filling the space in between the brick is akin to concrete driveway or concrete surface repairs.
The space in between can be filled with a mixture of smooth sand with low clay content and cement. The water used to mixing it should be mixed with acrylic binder in a ratio one to three.
This would make the set admixture a bit flexible without easily cracking.
The paint or sealant could best be incorporated with anti growth additive in substantial quantity so that if there is a micro crack, weed would not be able to attach on the floor surface.
I handled the renovation of a cracked floor and repainting some years ago and I posted it in one of my threads here: https://www.nairaland.com/2797941/renovation-pictures-recreational-courts

Nice idea, flexibility is the key to prevent cracks. I am more keen on dry mixture that will fill in the cracks first then bonds and seal the crack on watering. What acrylic binders are available in the market that can accomplish this? Price would be important. Thanks for your suggestion.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:01pm On Aug 25, 2018
nwaorlu:

Nice idea, flexibility is the key to prevent cracks. I am more kin on dry mixture that will fill in the cracks first then bonds and seal the crack on watering. What acrylic binders are available in the market that can accomplish this? Price would be important. Thanks for your suggestion.
You could ask for rivercryl or arakryl. Those are stronger and goes for N450 to N500 per kg.
As ideas go, I just got another suggestion. I could supply you paste putty that is near elastic as tyre or stiff rubber with movement to be applied with trowel in between the spaces.
I don't know how you could use dry powdered mix to be set with water after and still incorporate elastic polymer that bonds well with them and impact flexibility in the dry powdered form.
If you were to pour the acrylic binder diluted with water to set the mixture, it may not penetrate uniformly and deeply.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mgbadike80: 8:33pm On Aug 25, 2018
nwaorlu:

I have a thread here where the compound was first well compacted with a small rolling machine similar to the types used in road construction, the compound is then covered with a layer of plastic sheet before the interlocking stones are installed. the compaction helps to prevent cracking due to settlement of the soil, the plastic sheet prevents weed growth while the interlocking gives you the desired finish.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:37pm On Aug 25, 2018
Mgbadike80:

I have a thread here where the compound was first well compacted with a small rolling machine similar to the types used in road construction, the compound is then covered with a layer of plastic sheet before the interlocking stones are installed. the compaction helps to prevent cracking due to settlement of the soil, the plastic sheet prevents weed growth while the interlocking gives you the desired finish.
The space between each brick would still fill up with sand and dust that could support weed growth.
The sequence you stated is the usual way interlocking bricks are laid.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 11:41pm On Aug 25, 2018
gbadexy:

The space between each brick would still fill up with sand and dust that could support weed growth.
The sequence you stated is the usual way interlocking bricks are laid.

Another issue, would ordinary interlock be too porous to be sealed with sealant just like stamped concrete?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:46am On Aug 26, 2018
nwaorlu:

Another issue, would ordinary interlock be too porous to be sealed with sealant just like stamped concrete?
I really don't know much about concrete works but it looks to me that interlock bricks are dense and heavy, perhaps it's dependent on the mix ratio.
If interlock bricks can be painted, then it can be sealed.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:30pm On Aug 26, 2018
Mgbadike80:

Like our Oga said, the space btw each brick would be filled with sand/dust, grass can still grow with that small quantity of sand,unless one mayB spray with weed killer

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 12:58pm On Aug 26, 2018
Ojolfc:

Water table is low or you couldn't dig into the aquifer.
you can dig further, if you meet a basement rock on the way, that may pose a problem and waste of fund cos blasting might not give you what you want
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:22pm On Aug 26, 2018
Teebawse:

Can you share a picture of the finished product with the door,can it be sprayed to any color?

Now that you asked, just realized that I don't have the complete details here. I have them in my camera device in Nigeria. All I have are bit and pieces WhatsApp pix from my caretaker. However, the bits I've attached should give you the flow:

The first pic is the aspirational finished template. This is the design and finish I set out to achieve and I did.

The other pix are the raw finish stages ready for sanding for a smooth finish. Now the problem with doors in Nigeria is warping. This wasn't the case in the 70s and 80s. This means something somewhere went wrong in the 90s. That something is not craftsmanship, the craftsmanship is still domicile in Nigeria. That something is impatience and the quest for quick money.

So to counter this, I looked first for the craftsmanship, then settled for Mahogany - a superior hardwood and the thickness of the door. If you can get these right, your door will not Warp.

After cutting and putting the components together, I left the doors in standing position for over three months. This is to aid further drying (natural kiln). Any warping should be evident in this time frame and corrected. There were none.

Then again get the door thickness right. To help prevent warping, the wood should be well dried and the thickness 50mm minimum. Don't do the Nigerian way of cutting corners with 35 - 40mm doors. Too thin, you run the risk of warping. Look attached pix properly, you may notice the thickness.

After standing for three months, the doors were sanded down with a sander, treated with wood oil and vanished.

I don't support painting of superior expensive wooden doors like mahogany, masonia, wallnut etc. Why use such expensive wood only to paint it over. If painted doors are your thing, use less expensive hardwood and paint it over.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Tpave(m): 4:56pm On Aug 26, 2018
gbadexy:

I really don't know much about concrete works but it looks to me that interlock bricks are dense and heavy, perhaps it's dependent on the mix ratio.
If interlock bricks can be painted, then it can be sealed.
Interlock stones can be sealed but you will find out that the money you spent on production,installation and sealing can install a Decorative stamped concrete floor
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:58pm On Aug 26, 2018
Tpave:
You can do one inch blinding first before installation of the paving stones. Besides, how much are they charging you for stamped concrete floor? You can contact me privately on 08033542484

Very good advice. This is what I did with very satisfactory results. No weed after-growth.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:01pm On Aug 26, 2018
Tpave:
Interlock stones can be sealed but you will find out that the money you spent on production,installation and sealing can install a Decorative stamped concrete floor
That's another interesting perspective.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twascas: 2:58am On Aug 27, 2018
Good morning, please I would like to know the implication of using a ring type of septic tank compared to the use of the common rectangular shape type. My engineer suggested I use two of the ring type to serve five toilets and soak away for the kitchen section only. What is your view of this?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by psycoanalyst(f): 10:18am On Aug 27, 2018
Experienced builders in the house,i am facing the challenge of people defecating in my building,although i have erected an entrance door but the mad human being still find a way to climb the window opening to do the evil act,after using zinc to cover the opening...now i dont know if sand filling should be done,as i have done that before erecting the door,or i should just excavate the ground its very irritating, before fixing the window frame and all.please i need your advise.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:05pm On Aug 27, 2018
psycoanalyst:
Experienced builders in the house,i am facing the challenge of people defecating in my building,although i have erected an entrance door but the mad human being still find a way to climb the window opening to do the evil act,after using zinc to cover the opening...now i dont know if sand filling should be done,as i have done that before erecting the door,or i should just excavate the ground its very irritating, before fixing the window frame and all.please i need your advise.
The only option left going by ur story is to install the frame & protector. Nothing will stop dem from defecating in ur house. unless u install a burglary proof.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Talk2iyfy: 9:58pm On Aug 27, 2018
Please where is the best place to buy chippings stone and rod at affordable price in port Harcourt. I see a company around akpajo-eleme road.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 2:05am On Aug 28, 2018
twascas:
Good morning, please I would like to know the implication of using a ring type of septic tank compared to the use of the common rectangular shape type. My engineer suggested I use two of the ring type to serve five toilets and soak away for the kitchen section only. What is your view of this?

It doesn't take longer time to filled up.

It is usually done where space and fund is not readily available for normal septic tank.

And also you don't need to dig a soak away for it as its done for normal septic tank
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 5:42am On Aug 28, 2018
psycoanalyst:

Go and look for hot arch (eru gbona in Yoruba)and pour it on the feaces; they won't try it again.

Caveat: Na Yoruba mythology o. The efficacy I don't know grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:02am On Aug 28, 2018
twascas:

Simple, Ring is smaller and less space
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shelliz: 7:18am On Aug 28, 2018
Good day all. Please i will be more than greatful if any engineer can list out step by step job to complete a house that was roofed recently. I need someone to help me arrange them in the right order,and if possible, add the reasons why certain jobs are to be done before others.

Electrical and plumbing wall piping
Burglary for windows
Cassement Window
Art work
Plastering
Interior and exterior doors
p.o.p
tiles
electrical and plumbing fittings
Painting.

Please you can add whatever i didn't add to the list above .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by psycoanalyst(f): 8:15am On Aug 28, 2018
folmus:

Go and look for hot arch (eru gbona in Yoruba)and pour it on the feaces; they won't try it again.

Caveat: Na Yoruba mythology o. The efficacy I don't know grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Lol..was told to get pepper and hot ash and pour on it...but no time my brother jare.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1021) (1022) (1023) (1024) (1025) (1026) (1027) ... (3713) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gbadexy(m), chairmanawe(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.