Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,464 members, 7,891,916 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 10:31 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (110) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4569169 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (3716) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 5:09am On Jan 15, 2016
mufutau55:

No way this could be 30 tons. How? Granite don't shrink o.

Hajji M.

The guy is a goner from that site. How can "30 ton granite and 30 ton stone dust" finish in a week just on blinding and few lintels for reconstruction? He is a cousin of mine but too dishonest for my liking. I gave him money two days ago to supply another 30 tons of granite and stone dust but delivered 15 tons each as 30 tons to my site. Enough is enough. He has to go now.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:23am On Jan 15, 2016
@Fastshipping,

Do you believe the guy may not know the difference? I'm not supporting this in anyway but ignorance can kill at times.

I've done a DPC with 5 loads of (30 tons) granite for a client here on Nairaland and he said he's fine so long I'm not the one supplying it. 5 loads of granite is about 750k (just for DPC alone), meanwhile I used N10m to build a similar structure (5 units of 2 bedroom on 2 floors) for another client (also a Nairalander) using NextHome dump truck.

I didn't know so much until I bought my dump truck. I didn't know so much until I signed a partnership agreement with a dredging site. I didn't know so much until I started visiting quarries myself (even though I've left that part for sincere supplier). The few who knew these secret are building half the cost and are not making noise on faceless forum.

_______
Oga KolaShangOne, where art thou? It's the new year, leave Trash for LAWMA.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 5:36am On Jan 15, 2016
brabus:
@Fastshipping,

Do you believe the guy may not know the difference? I'm not supporting this in anyway but ignorance can kill at times.

I've done a DPC with 5 loads of (30 tons) granite for a client here on Nairaland and he said he's fine so long I'm not the one supplying it. 5 loads of granite is about 750k (just for DPC alone), meanwhile I used N10m to build a similar structure (5 units of 2 bedroom on 2 floors) for another client (also a Nairalander) using NextHome dump truck.

I didn't know so much until I bought my dump truck. I didn't know so much until I signed a partnership agreement with a dredging site. I didn't know so much until I started visiting quarries myself (even though I've left that part for sincere supplier). The few who knew these secret are building half the cost and are not making noise on faceless forum.

The guy has track record of being a dishonest cousin. I have helped this guy tremendously and to keep doing sh1t with me is a big disappointment. He threatened people I give work to if they don't inflate quotation they give me. He has done so many but I keep letting him stay.

So I don't agree with the notion that there is possibility he doesn't know what 30 tons should look like. He claimed he has been doing this supply work for many years.

I am calling him up this morning to leave the place finally. He is done now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:36am On Jan 15, 2016
FastShipping:

The guy is a goner from that site. How can "30 ton granite and 30 ton stone dust" finish in a week just on blinding and few lintels for reconstruction? He is a cousin of mine but too dishonest for my liking. I gave him money two days ago to supply another 30 tons of granite and stone dust but delivered 15 tons each as 30 tons to my site. Enough is enough. He has to go now.

Hmmmm,boss e never reach like that now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:39am On Jan 15, 2016
FastShipping:

The guy has track record of being a dishonest cousin. I have helped this guy tremendously and to keep doing sh1t with me is a big disappointment. He threatened people I give work to if they don't inflate quotation they give me. He has done so many but I keep letting him stay.

So I don't agree with the notion that there is possibility he doesn't know what 30 tons should look like. He claimed he has been doing this supply work for many years.

Contract Inflation! Let such people go! They're no different from Joseph's brother. They'll sell you if they milk you dry (talking from experience). I used to have them in their armies until second half of 2015. Now it's me against the world and I no send!

They're enemies of progress. I've trailed that part before and keep telling people it wasn't me, I have no idea of what happened, until I took the harsh decision. Some people will never change even if you give them 20th chance.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 5:42am On Jan 15, 2016
segzy14:

Hmmmm.

Lanre is a thief. Imagine he supplied so called 30 ton granite and 30 ton stone dust and they both finished in a week on just blinding. Don't forget I had some granite on ground for long time there too. I gave him 175K (120k and 50k) to supply 30 tons granite yesterday and 30 tons stone dust and he ended up supplying 15 tons each.

In fact, I gave him contract of over 1.1 million naira in less than two weeks. 4 man diesel of sharp sand, 60 tons granite, 60 tons stone dust, 450 cement, 5 man diesel plaster sand, and 4 sandy laterite. Yet, he is still not satisfied. Just two days ago I asked my brother to give him pocket money.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:44am On Jan 15, 2016
FastShipping:

Lanre is a thief. Imagine he supplied so called 30 ton granite and 30 ton stone dust and they both finished in a week on just blinding. Don't forget I had some granite on ground for long time there too. I gave him 175K (120k and 50k) to supply 30 tons granite yesterday and 30 tons stone dust and he ended up supplying 15 tons each.

In fact, I gave him contract of over 1.1 million naira in less than two weeks. 4 man diesel of sharp sand, 60 tons granite, 60 tons stone dust, 450 cement, 5 man diesel plaster sand, and 4 sandy laterite. Yet, he is still not satisfied. Just two days ago I asked my brother to give him pocket money.

Yes,there was some granite left.
This is serious.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 5:48am On Jan 15, 2016
segzy14:

Yes,there was some granite left.
This is serious.

Now tell me how can 30 ton granite and 30 ton stone dust with what I had on ground finished in just a week. 4 sharp sand finished already. How can 3 sharp sand finish in a week with only about 700 blocks used.

I just gave Xzevia money to supply another 30 tons and deliver side by side just to proof my point. It was a trap I set for him when I gave him 175k two days ago.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:51am On Jan 15, 2016
FastShipping:

Now tell me how can 30 ton granite and 30 ton stone dust with what I had on ground finished in just a week. 4 sharp sand finished already. How can 3 sharp sand finish in a week with only about 700 blocks used.

I just gave Xzevia money to supply another 30 tons and deliver side by side just to proof my point. It was a trap I set for him when I gave him 175k two days ago.

Na wa ooooo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 6:45am On Jan 15, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It'll be a separate structure entirely.

Could the town planing folks do a drive by and notice that "hey wait a dang monuto, this ain't what we approved!"
I have similar question guys. I already submitted all my drawings for one floor hostel building. Now I want to maximize returns and would like to make it a two floor building. We are at foundation level and I don't mind reinforcing the foundation to carry an extra floor. Do I need to go back and withdraw all the document submitted for approval or not??
My builder said I don't need to do that because we might not have enough parking space for a 2 floor building and so it won't be approved (but this is purely for students and really most of them won't have cars). The builder said so far we do the right thing and make sure the we reinforce the foundation to carry an extra floor we are good. Guys please kindly advice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:02am On Jan 15, 2016
Oga fash78,

The ideal thing is to get more land and get new approval for the build. It helps the government while planning for the area and it also give you the confidence that you've done the right thing.

However, you may choose to go otherwise (as your builder adviced), the Naija way and beat the LASBCA guys to it and forever live with the guilt of not doing it right. But I know if you wanted to go that route you won't be here in the first place.

I'll advice you to stick to approval except you still have ample space to play with for the additions. It's not always about the strength of the building or the financial capability of the owner but the changing demographic of the area due to lack of planning or failure to adhere to approved planning permission and we will blame government for it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 10:43am On Jan 15, 2016
brabus:

Contract Inflation! Let such people go! They're no different from Joseph's brother. They'll sell you if they milk you dry (talking from experience). I used to have them in their armies until second half of 2015. Now it's me against the world and I no send!

They're enemies of progress. I've trailed that part before [size=14pt]and keep telling people it wasn't me[/size], I have no idea of what happened, until I took the harsh decision. Some people will never change even if you give them 20th chance.

Like Shaggy,....... "it wasn't me"! grin grin grin

true word:
Some peeps will NEVER change, "they are who they are"

@Fastshipping: An "enemy" is better than a "brother" you dont trust! Let him go IMMEDIATELY!
If you want to/need to help him in future, just give him Cash and let him move-on! undecided

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 10:55am On Jan 15, 2016
brabus:
Oga fash78,

The ideal thing is to get more land and get new approval for the build. It helps the government while planning for the area and it also give you the confidence that you've done the right thing.

However, you may choose to go otherwise (as your builder adviced), the Naija way and beat the LASBCA guys to it and forever live with the guilt of not doing it right. But I know if you wanted to go that route you won't be here in the first place.

I'll advice you to stick to approval except you still have ample space to play with for the additions. It's not always about the strength of the building or the financial capability of the owner but the changing demographic of the area due to lack of planning or failure to adhere to approved planning permission and we will blame government for it.

I agree with your post; Its better to do things with a clear conscience.

On the other hand, in his case, l agree that parking space wont be an issue.
The sticking point is if/whether his Engineers can SAFELY ADJUST the Structural drawings to cater for the increased LOAD!
if they can do that without endangering the lives of others, l think he should just do another drawing (or get a similar one from what is already available), make the ground floor to represent "parking space" (for approval purposes) and get it approved...while building it fully as occupied space, ... on ground.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:29am On Jan 15, 2016
FastShipping:

Bros which Lanre is that is it Lanre Kasali? I am trying to locate his house, he is with my large sum of money.

https://www.nairaland.com/2480349/please-anyone-contact-kasali-lanre
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:52am On Jan 15, 2016
Xzevian:
I will advice you use sized 1/2inch for your pillars and 3/4 Granite for the german floor bUT all the same 3/4down can also fit for both.... it all depends on your choice sir. you are on point sir. how is your project going?

The bigger the size of the coarse aggregates the stronger the concrete strength but the coarse aggregate need not to be too big so that void spaces can be reduce.

3/4 ( 19.5mm) is the prescribed size for most structural member

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 12:15pm On Jan 15, 2016
Hello NL members.
I am conidering doing POP in some parts of the ceiling and have just been told that I will need to buy some extra wood (2by2) to hold the POP.
Is this true? I am already tired of buying wood since I bought alot for the roofing.
@Kolashoge and others please advice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 2:52pm On Jan 15, 2016
Chekitaut:
Bros which Lanre is that is it Lanre Kasali? I am trying to locate his house, he is with my large sum of money.

https://www.nairaland.com/2480349/please-anyone-contact-kasali-lanre

Not Kasali o grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:56pm On Jan 15, 2016
FastShipping:

I have no tolerance for any family member that does kind of things to me.
I have told you to dismiss him long time ago... but blood is thicker than water, so I can understand your case.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 3:03pm On Jan 15, 2016
FastShipping:

Not Kasali o grin

;Dsomebody Don enter one chance
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 3:37pm On Jan 15, 2016
Hello NL,
I am looking at getting the locally made steel doors for External Security doors.
What is the min guage to use for the iron.
A welder has mentioned 2.5mm for the Guage plate (Chacker pan) and 18 guage for the iron for the frame. Is this correct?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 8:21pm On Jan 15, 2016
befto:
Hello NL members.
I am conidering doing POP in some parts of the ceiling and have just been told that I will need to buy some extra wood (2by2) to hold the POP.
Is this true? I am already tired of buying wood since I bought alot for the roofing.

The Lord is your strength Sir. Of course you will be needing 2by2 wood for the ceiling framework. That's what the POP mesh is being tied to so as to hold the POP ceiling. And ideally, the spacing shouldn't be more than 2ft for a stronger ceiling.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
Dominionng:

The Lord is your strength Sir. Of course you will be needing 2by2 wood for the ceiling framework. That's what the POP mesh is being tied to so as to hold the POP ceiling. And ideally, the spacing shouldn't be more 2ft for a stronger ceiling.

That means he never did the ceiling noggin when he roofed his house then?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 9:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
Thats a good point.
I remember I did (well I paid for wood) to do celing noggins.
I definitely remember being charged for this so I am bit confused now.

mufutau55:

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:45pm On Jan 15, 2016
befto:
Thats a good point.
I remember I did (well I paid for wood) to do celing noggins.
I definitely remember being charged for this so I am bit confused now.

Some people do the roofing first and do the ceiling noggin later... but best if done together in one short.
I have experience both ways... if done later, the carpenter charges more like different work...
I believe ceiling noggin is usually 2x2 anyway... you will know if it has been done..

Note: See below.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 2:08am On Jan 16, 2016
lastpage:

I agree with your post; Its better to do things with a clear conscience.

On the other hand, in his case, l agree that parking space wont be an issue.
The sticking point is if/whether his Engineers can SAFELY ADJUST the Structural drawings to cater for the increased LOAD!
if they can do that without endangering the lives of others, l think he should just do another drawing (or get a similar one from what is already available), make the ground floor to represent "parking space" (for approval purposes) and get it approved...while building it fully as occupied space, ... on ground.

Lastpage!

Thanks brabus and Lastpage.
My builder said the structural drawings can be redrafted for additional load. I don't mind spending more to do the foundation properly for the additional load it will carry.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:34am On Jan 16, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Where is KolaShangOne?

New Year don reach now grin

Oga Egun, I'm here o.. New year is still on.. Happy new year.. You can get the yellow sand in Ibadan. A bit more expensive. It's called Iyanrin Bakoto or sth like that..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:42am On Jan 16, 2016
befto:
Hello NL members.

You bought 330 pcs of 2x2 wood which is used for nogging. It should be enough to hold the POP. With that quantity, i know your caprenter did a 2x4 spacing which is OK. In fact some people don't even do nogging before POP, they tie it directly to the tie beams.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 12:52pm On Jan 16, 2016
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Probably the noggin spacing is 2ft by 4ft as against the standard spacing of 2ft by 2ft.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jan 16, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Oga Egun, I'm here o.. New year is still on.. Happy new year.. You can get the yellow sand in Ibadan. A bit more expensive. It's called Iyanrin Bakoto or sth like that..

Excellent.

I'm glad I can get that soil, I'll need about 40 tons.

Please pass my most sincere new year greetings to all your staff, especially The Engineer grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 2:45pm On Jan 16, 2016
KolaShangOne:

You bought 330 pcs of 2x2 wood which is used for nogging. It should be enough to hold the POP. With that quantity, i know your caprenter did a 2x4 spacing which is OK. In fact some people don't even do nogging before POP, they tie it directly to the tie beams.

Thanks Kola
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 4:36pm On Jan 16, 2016
Evening NL members,
Please can you help me with some advice?
I am currently at the finishing stage of my site and at crossroads with a few things.
This is a rented accommodation so I am watching the cashflow with the current Naira crisis.
The site consists of 6 * 2 bedroom flats (3 up and 3 down) and have been told that to save costs I should screed the ceilings for the downstairs sitting and dinning areas for each flat and leave the other areas with the normal plastering.
For upstairs I should do POP ceilings for the sitting and dining areas and do PVC for the other areas.
Even these suggestions have proven to be expensive so far so My questions are:
What are the disadvantages of just painting all round without Screeding?
Can I get away with just using PVC for the whole of the upstairs Flats without doing POP in any areas?
How is POP costed? is it per sqm? how much is the general cost?
This also applies to Screeding. How is it costed and how much do they generally charge?
I am just trying to ascertain if I need any of this for a rented accommodation.

As usual thanks for all your advice/help.

Have a blessed weekend.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 4:51pm On Jan 16, 2016
KolaShangOne:

It's stronger to placed the 2 x 2 on top of the tie beam. It's also cheaper.

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (3716) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Blessedsunny2(m), RockOfAgesAlumi(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.