Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,790 members, 7,882,754 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 01:23 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1813) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4545201 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1810) (1811) (1812) (1813) (1814) (1815) (1816) ... (3707) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:16pm On Dec 04, 2020
omanzo02:

What happened to FG executive order to get priority supplies? If you can get lorry load I bet this is your chance to hustle for them but get paying will be herculean task. Capital and profit will go into bribe for processing and signatures.

We went on break for a reason not because of cement or materials shortage. We’re resuming fully next Monday.

Cement for the main project is handled directly by the Ministry - no intermediary. I’m only coordinating cement supplies for all other service providers (block/brick makers, concreters, pavers, tradespeople, local suppliers etc).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 10:28pm On Dec 04, 2020
n3xt:

We went on break for a reason not because of cement or materials shortage. We’re resuming fully next Monday.

Cement for the main project is handled directly by the Ministry - no intermediary. I’m only coordinating cement supplies for all other service providers (block/brick makers, concreters, pavers, tradespeople, local suppliers etc).

I don't know if Nigeria government payment procedure and duration have changed, I have always avoided looking for work/contract with them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 10:31pm On Dec 04, 2020
One4me:

I am still trying to figure-out what you mean happened in 2014?
Are you referring to issues you had with people like @Qc1 issues? @Maverick issues?, @Brag3 issues?, @EuroMillion issues?, @3Strike issues?
Except you are very specific, l am lost.

BTW,
DIY is not just about saving money alone, it is also about empowering yourself to be able to do things yourself but even more about the FREEDOM and the KNOWLEDGE you gain, gives you to use at any time you want.
I keep learning new things everyday.

So many Women, my own wife inclusive, can service their Car, changing filters and replacing Oils, using the right equipments, with a little help from YouTube.
Buying a Car by yourself, is not a rocket Science, in these day and age of Google, Online Dealership Displays, not to mention that anyone can walk-into a Shop and the Assistant is there to help you out. I have been buying cars since l bought the first one wayback in 1992 and have lost count, l still bought one just before the Lockdown in March.
So, whats the big deal here?
I like this your post.

I've been privileged to have traveled to at least one country in each of the 5 continents (based on 5 Olympic rings) and I can tell you that most people I've met are DIY.

December, 26 2019 I was in Paris (France) and the power in our apartment went out. I knew when other apartments around Vauban (Aulnay Sous Boi) had power, it would be a circuit breaker issue. In a foreign country, I opened the DB, saw the trip and turned the lights back on. That would have cost about €20.

3 days earlier, 23rd December, 2019 we were in Istanbul (Turkey). My wife slammed the door, without knowing the jam is unlocked. The hotel manager called a carpenter in Turkey, who opened the door and charged 80 Turkish Lira.

Sometimes, we should be able to do certain things.

At the Advent of OBD 11 vehicles in Nigeria, people get to scan their cars for ₦5,000 and if they had CEL on, they pay such for diagnosis.

Now many DIY car owners have scanners and do resolve simple fixes themselves.

Yes, you need professionals at some point (cause I'm a chartered Consultant myself), buy not in all cases.

I use an SUV that has Oil Life gauge.
Anytime I change by Oil, I need to reset the Oil Life. Imagine how much a 'rewire' or mechanic would charge novice to reset such. With YouTube, you can learn few simple fixes

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 10:48pm On Dec 04, 2020
davodyguy:

I like this your post.

I've been privileged to have traveled to at least one country in each of the 5 continents (based on 5 Olympic rings) and I can tell you that most people I've met are DIY.

December, 26 2019 I was in Paris (France) and the power in our apartment went out. I knew when other apartments around Vauban (Aulnay Sous Boi) had power, it would be a circuit breaker issue. In a foreign country, I opened the DB, saw the trip and turned the lights back on. That would have cost about €20.

3 days earlier, 23rd December, 2019 we were in Istanbul (Turkey). My wife slammed the door, without knowing the jam is unlocked. The hotel manager called a carpenter in Turkey, who opened the door and charged 80 Turkish Lira.

At the Advent of OBD 11 vehicles in Nigeria, people get to scan their cars for ₦5,000 and if they had CEL on, they pay such for diagnosis.

Yes, you need professionals at some point (cause I'm a chartered Consultant myself), buy not in all cases.

Anytime I change by Oil, I need to reset the Oil Life. Imagine how much a 'rewire' or mechanic would charge novice to reset such.
With YouTube, you can learn few simple fixes
The procedure to reset service intervals can be found in the vehicles manual.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 11:13pm On Dec 04, 2020
omanzo02:

More than 60% of vehicles on Nigerian roads are used ('Tokunbo') Hence, not all will have user manual or service manual. Options for people like that is either:
1. Download the manual online
2. Rely on the 'expert' for such simple fix
3. Consult Youtube

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 11:33pm On Dec 04, 2020
michlins:
I greet everyone here oh. Una do well. So the tank stand has been completed and the owner was very much impressed with the timely delivery.

The gate is under development. I intend to finish it by Monday and probably deliver on Wednesday

This is nice.
Please how much is this for a bungalow?

I was told it is more prudent to use the concrete stand in the beach to avoid rust as a result of salt from the sea. What is your recommendation? My project is about half mile to the sea
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 11:38pm On Dec 04, 2020
davodyguy:

More than 60% of vehicles on Nigerian roads are used ('Tokunbo') Hence, not all will have user manual or service manual. Options for people like that is either:
1. Download the manual online
2. Rely on the 'expert' for such simple fix
3. Consult Youtube
Downloading users manual online is an option.
Like you said earlier simple fixes can be done this days by anyone, you don't need to be a pro or an expert to perform full diagnosis, all you need is just a Bluetooth enable smartphone and OBD2 scanner(onboard diagnosis) and you are good to go. You can diagnose, reset, activate and disable programme with it too.
Very relevant in the car/vehicle in case.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 11:55pm On Dec 04, 2020
omanzo02:

What is the name of your SUV?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 12:03am On Dec 05, 2020
michlins:
I greet everyone here oh. Una do well. So the tank stand has been completed and the owner was very much impressed with the timely delivery.

The gate is under development. I intend to finish it by Monday and probably deliver on Wednesday

I keep liking you the more. You are quick and direct with your jobs.
The Sky is your limit, if you keep going at this pace.
Can we see a closeup picture of the joints of that tank Stand, and in all what was the cost for the setup (tank Stand)

Even your Gate is coming up good.

Just remember to keep a level head, when things start going good for you.
Always remember that first day you came here and we tackled you very hard grin undecided
Dont be like those who say "Danger Over, God forgotten".
More Grease to you elbow Bro. and thanks to @gbadexy who gave you the first shot, with that single door

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 12:07am On Dec 05, 2020
Dijita:

What is the name of your SUV?
Honda vehicles from 2003 to date (Pilot, Acura, CR-V, HRV) have Oil Life reminder

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by demanuel(m): 12:24am On Dec 05, 2020
n3xt:

Even FG project is on hold. grin

I was shocked when I saw what’s left inside our store yesterday.

_____
The real issue is there are too many ongoing projects. People are seriously buying despite the price increase.

According to stats, Lafarge made more sales during this crisis. Even the Channel Partners.

Despite the scarcity, I’ve received over 13 trailers between Nov and Dec.
Hello Sir,
Are you having cases of theft or pilfirage of items in your store?
I can help supervise whenever new supplies are brought in, if you need someone in that regard.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 12:40am On Dec 05, 2020
zuraking:
you talk too much oga, no be only you sabi write long stories and remind us of the past.

Let's learn things and make this thread serve it's purpose. Thank you

I know you are Uncouth, lack home training and certainly think you can run that your crooked mouth at everybody..
But l will ADVICE you that you are backing-up the wrong alley.

I will still give you the opportunity to back-off, its not too late and l am quite forgiving. undecided

Think of me in the age range of your Dad, no disrespect to him.

14 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 1:11am On Dec 05, 2020
davodyguy:

I like this your post.

Anytime I change by Oil, I need to reset the Oil Life. Imagine how much a 'rewire' or mechanic would charge novice to reset such. With YouTube, you can learn few simple fixes

IMO, the reason most Nigerians are not into DIY things fully, compared to say the Western world, is because we pay so little for "Services" (relatively) and that has made us develop a mentality of 'Big-mannism', which encourages laziness and idle thinking.
Why should l earn to do something, when it will only cost me peanuts, to get someone to do it for me? undecided

I was given a birthday gift by one of my sons and it was a 12V Engine Oil Pump. All l just need to do is stick the hose into my Engine Oil Reserve and it will suck it oil out, remove and replace the Filter and put a new Oil, in less than 30mins! My Dude knows l like to do things by myself.

Each time l learn something new or do something l have never done before in life, l feel a sense of accomplishment
I have a whole shed of DIY Tools and most times, when people work for me, they are astounded that l know so much about what they are doing.
I just tell them that l cannot do everything myself but l am happy to know about it and confident that l will do it, if l get stranded.

I even once toyed with using flight Simulators online, maybe it will come in handy one day, who knows, l but pray it does not. grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 1:19am On Dec 05, 2020
davodyguy:
Honda vehicles from 2003 to date (Pilot, Acura, CR-V, HRV) have Oil Life reminder
I have Honda CRV 2012
if you go to menu then select maintenance you will be able to reset it to 100% after every oil change.
I can record the process and post it tomorrow. I am at work now

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 1:42am On Dec 05, 2020
negy2016:
@michlins pls wat is the cost of the water stand
Dijita:

This is nice.
Please how much is this for a bungalow?

I was told it is more prudent to use the concrete stand in the beach to avoid rust as a result of salt from the sea. What is your recommendation? My project is about half mile to the sea
definitely. For a bungalow, you will have to use 4 by 2" H channel. I believe you will be using a single 1000 gallons tank.
One4me:
I keep liking you the more. You are quick and direct with your jobs.
The Sky is your limit, if you keep going at this pace.
Can we see a closeup picture of the joints of that tank Stand, and in all what was the cost for the setup (tank Stand)

Even your Gate is coming up good.

Just remember to keep a level head, when things start going good for you.
Always remember that first day you came here and we tackled you very hard grin undecided
Dont be like those who say "Danger Over, God forgotten".
More Grease to you elbow Bro. and thanks to @gbadexy who gave you the first shot, with that single door
I will never forget what @gbadexy did for me here. In the story of my success,he will always be remembered as the person who gave me the first push. To do this tank, I gave the owner two options of using 5 by 3 or 6 by 3" channel and he choose the later. The cost of making it is #650,000 for the later and #570,000 for the later. The attached image is for the foundation joints. You will observe the use of clits at the different joints
zuraking:
are tank stand more better than the build and cast? I have been confused which of them I will do.
this is definitely and miles ahead of cast. This can be moved from its current position to another. All you need to do is loosen the bolts holding the tank on the foundation. But that's not the main reason, the channels are made to last for decades so you definitely have nothing to worry about.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 1:55am On Dec 05, 2020
n3xt:

Even FG project is on hold. grin

I was shocked when I saw what’s left inside our store yesterday.

_____
The real issue is there are too many ongoing projects. People are seriously buying despite the price increase.

According to stats, Lafarge made more sales during this crisis. Even the Channel Partners.

Despite the scarcity, I’ve received over 13 trailers between Nov and Dec.
what I have observed is that once there's inflation in the economy, people ten to build more probably because their cash savings is dropping in value daily. Just imagine you had about #50ml in savings two months ago,by this weekend when compared to the $$$ you're worth less but if you invested the money in real estate, you are more protected.
This is my layman's understanding of the economy and no one should ask me to defend it oh

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by One4me: 2:43am On Dec 05, 2020
michlins:
definitely. For a bungalow, you will have to use 4 by 2" H channel. I believe you will be using a single 1000 gallons tank.I will never forget what @gbadexy did for me here. In the story of my success,he will always be remembered as the person who gave me the first push. To do this tank, I gave the owner two options of using 5 by 3 or 6 by 3" channel and he choose the later. The cost of making it is #650,000 for the later and #570,000 for the later. The attached image is for the foundation joints. You will observe the use of clits at the different joints
the channels are made to last for decades so you definitely have nothing to worry about.

Welldone and keep up the good work.
It was the Clits that l was after.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 3:15am On Dec 05, 2020
diordaves:

Looks well built, stable and secure. Kudos. Was a enough thought given to the height as well?
it's a duplex and the standard height is usually 25 -26ft but he doesn't want to hear stories and went straight for 28ft.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:48am On Dec 05, 2020
omanzo02:

I don't know if Nigeria government payment procedure and duration have changed, I have always avoided looking for work/contract with them.

These ones seems juicy though. It has always been for me.

Several years ago, I cut off internet supply in government house and governors’ office due to 1 month late payment.

My partner who was a retired Colonel back then told my manager to write “I was directed to...”
Militia boys may have their excesses, I think they’re the best thing for this country.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:50am On Dec 05, 2020
davodyguy:

My 2007 Odyssey has it too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:52am On Dec 05, 2020
demanuel:

Hello Sir,
I can help supervise whenever new supplies are brought in, if you need someone in that regard.

Not at all. Thanks for offering to help
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:19am On Dec 05, 2020
zuraking:
Let's learn things and make this thread serve it's purpose. Thank you

The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

When we find ourselves in uncomfortable situations, learn to stop letting the untrue or irrational thoughts take over. If we do, will find ourselves living entirely different lives.

It's just the Internet, man!” Rules really don't apply here no matter how we make it seem.

Respond to valuable suggestions/lessons and not to the tones of messages flying around.

That’s maturity!

#happybuilding

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:27am On Dec 05, 2020
demanuel:

Hello Sir,

By the way, where are you based? What’s your major discipline?

I have a lot of people in various locations handling stuffs for me though. So, there’s tendency we do stuffs together in not-too-distant future.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 4:35am On Dec 05, 2020
One4me:

I know you are Uncouth, lack home training and certainly think you can run that your crooked mouth at everybody..

I will still give you the opportunity to back-off, its not too late and l am quite forgiving. undecided

I lack home training just like your silly kids you failed to train who are now vagabonds sad

We can both make it hurt here because I can be very blunt and unforgiving too when I see stvpid people. Do I look like those you can bully and will be scared of you? undecided

You have disrespected my dad for mentioning him already and you must be very madd for thinking you can be my father. angry

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 4:39am On Dec 05, 2020
michlins. Noted. Can we use this particular one you are doing for bungalows too?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:54am On Dec 05, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I hear you about saving money.

Let’s do it on less critical areas like windows.

Foundation and roof are two things that I never mess with.

Success will be ours.

Roof? Why Baba if I may ask?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 5:11am On Dec 05, 2020
One4me:

Sir, pls don't be offended.
zuraking:
I lack home training just like your silly kids you failed to train who are now vagabonds sad

We can both make it hurt here because I am can be very blunt and unforgiving too when I see stvpid people. Do I look like those you can bully and will be scared of you? undecided

You have disrespected my dad for mentioning him already and you must be very madd for thinking you can be my father. angry

Please bro. e ma binu.

n3xt:

The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

When we find ourselves in uncomfortable situations, learn to stop letting the untrue or irrational thoughts take over. If we do, will find ourselves living entirely different lives.

It's just the Internet, man!” Rules really don't apply here no matter how we make it seem.

Respond to valuable suggestions/lessons and not to the tones of messages flying around.

That’s maturity!

#happybuilding
kiss
You remind me of a senior colleague and my life-coaching teacher back then in osuth, shagamu. Late Gbenga Kuponiyi.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:15am On Dec 05, 2020
michlins:
you don't understand subject of discussion. Slats will be pipe. Framing the gate or any other one should be angle bars. Use angle bars to frame the gate especially those areas that goes to the wall and floor because they are most exposed to rusting. You can use pipes anywhere else

Issokay bro!

I’ve always avoided using objects with sharp edge and projections in residential projects for safety (especially for kids) and to prevent rust/corrosion from water ponding on the surfaces.

Now I’ve learnt new thing. Thanks for sharing once again.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 5:20am On Dec 05, 2020
Government is not our problem .
Nigerians have decided not to show mercy anymore. We believe any job that comes our way is an opportunity to become very rich instantly.we want to milk anybody dry. We are our own problem. Greed , envy & jealousy.

Dijita:

This is what is frustrating to some of us and killing Nigeria as a whole. It seems that a lot of people in Nigeria have killed their conscience. How can you be asking someone more than double what is require for a project. A lot of our people are suffering because of this high level of dishonesty.

Many of us in diaspora really wanted to help people back home but how can you do this with this level of dishonesty. Imagine you take $50k to 100k home equity loan to establish business with this type of person in Nigeria how are you ever going to be able to recover your investment talk less of making profit.

We blame government for everything but this is not government this is an individual.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:22am On Dec 05, 2020
MrOkenwa:

kiss
You remind me of a senior colleague and my life-coaching teacher back then in osuth, shagamu. Late Gbenga Kuponiyi.

Learning is what most adults will do for a living in the 21st century.

Grow through what you go through.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:45am On Dec 05, 2020
n3xt:

Roof? Why Baba if I may ask?

When roofs fail it becomes a disaster. Everything could be destroyed.

POP
Furniture
Electronics
Electrical

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 6:34am On Dec 05, 2020
zuraking:
michlins. Noted. Can we use this particular one you are doing for bungalows too?
no sir. We can use 4 by2" for bungalows. It will carry a single 1000 gallons tank on top

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1810) (1811) (1812) (1813) (1814) (1815) (1816) ... (3707) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Stamford007(m), Godisgreatest1, Janesouthall, otedola1(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.