Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,793 members, 7,935,388 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 08:36 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (262) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4673248 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (3746) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 1:19am On May 24, 2016
@brabus....points noted. I believe some of this advice will work for qc1 too. Sometimes the financial implications of some of this points may be challenging even though, doing it is the only viable option . No compromise especially when one factors in the cost of building the property.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:27am On May 24, 2016
lastpage:

From my own little experience,

I think "Water will ALWAYS find its way"...... it now depends on where that outlet will be, over time.

I have identified TWO CRITICAL issues over the life of this discussion.

1.) External Water - Water from Rain, underground-hidden waste pipes, run-off flood water ingressing into compound, e.t.c

2.) Underground Water: Water oozing out of the ground under the house, soaked walls, wet plaster dropping off, high water table/low foundation level, e.t.c

My opinion will be based on "What l will do, if it is my house".
(I always put this caveat because it is not everyone that likes you to make suggestion to them, over their house and their problem.
Some dont like it ..........and l respect that because we are all different set of people)

IMO, l think problem (1) is responsible for 80% of problem (2). Feel free to correct me 'politely', if you disagree.

I think in the order of priority, if you are able to solve problem 1, problem 2 will either die naturally or you will just need to make "cosmetic adjustment" to banish problem 2.

My focus would 'primarily' be to banish water from getting near my foundation, so it does not have the opportunity to even sink into the ground, hence prevented from any attempt to enter under my floorings and come out inside my rooms.

a) I will try to as much as possible, re-direct ALL WATER coming near my fence (first line of defence) into a "main" Water channel (gutter), outside my fence ( A drainage well cemented to prevent water sinking into its base/ground) so that it is drained-away into the nearest canal or onwards towards the next gutter on a lower level.
This might involve some capital layout like you are doing Gutter for the whole neighbourhood! grin But God will provide.

b) I will ensure that the base of my fence is made up of "Stone-dust/Granite/Cement mixture" (no sharp sand) that is at least 5ft deep into the ground and three feet above ground level and say 4" thick.
I have observed that a Stone Dust mixture (instead of sharp sand), is more water resistant when mixed with enough cement.
Infact, it acts like glass in my own build where l used it!

The idea is to create a "deep down", underground water barrier such that the water would have to do a lot of work to go down-down under my fence, for it to come up into my compound.
As l know "water", it will rather avoid such work by going into my neighbours compound shocked shocked or whereever else it can go to, with less effort! (Okay, l still love my neighbour sha grin )
It is on this that l would place the rest of Block work of my fence

This wont cost as much money as we are thinking because it only need to be say 6" or 150mm thick/wide and will run the length of two sides of my fence most adjacent to where the water is coming from (otherwise if their is enough cash, l will do it all round my fence, to be on the safest side).
Dont worry whether your neighbour would channel water onto your fence from his own side of the fence.
Some bad neighbours do that but wetin concern me with that?

c) On the "inside" of my fence, l will floor every inch of the compound PROPERLY .... at least 3-4" thick of Stone Dust/Cement/Granite mixture (more cement less granite).

*I will use "roof gutters" to collect all rain from my roof and let it run into the public drainage, using a very small gutter that will run along the base of my fence, on my side.

The idea is to ensure the compound does not retain any water at all, whether direct rain water or roof-drops during rain

d) l will excavate the old flooring out! YES!
I will remove it by digging down about one foot down or even more. Before flooring, l will fill it up with pure Beach Sand (The white Sand or a Clean Sharp sand). This type of Sand has less capillary action compared to Laterite Sand used already in filling the foundation.
If not for cost, l will advise to do same for the compound topsoil to a depth of say 8 inches.

* I will cut slightly into the walls of the rooms, at the level. This is to ensure that the meeting point of the floor and the wall is "water-tight".
I will now floor it properly with my "glass mixture" of Stone dust mixture, about 2inches thick. I am trying to reduce weight of the building itself, hence the light-weight!

The idea of Parapet removal would have come in, (though l think Brabus should have advised Qc-1 to use those PVC-Foam, Cornice-like Parapet which are very light... ..... instead of using a Concrete Parapet) but l guess the house have "settled enough", under such weight and "hopefully", it wont go further down anymore, all things being equal.

After l do these things (preferably during the dry season when water table is low), l will consider re-plastering the lower parts of my walls and cover it up with that Grafix paint (Brabus).

I see Water as an enemy" and defeating it needs proper planning and strategizing. I am talking about defeating it once and for all

Brabus and other Builders/Engineers in the house, what do you think?
Do you think if Brabus implements this suggestion, that house will remember it once has a Water problem?

Just my own ten cent.

Lastpage!

Caveat: This is just me (dont take offence) and what l will do if l have similar problem.
Its not easy, costly but l think investing about #2M to solve this problem and save a family this headache and assets worth in the region of 27M, is not a bad trade-off!

You just explained all we did at my chateau.

Did you notice my compound floor was done with stone dust, rice granite and cement? It makes it pervious which is very good in flood zone.

I'll even do more. Build a ground water tank and use it as a fish pond to monitor flood level. If water rises above it, then it means red herring.

Brabus
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:41am On May 24, 2016
Water Problem | Another Brabus Fix

Sir lastpage, in 2013 Brabus was in Aloycious Odulukwe street in Ajao estate to work a fix on a very bad land. 99% of the structures in that terrain had one foundation issue or the other and either sinking or bent beyond repair.

I suggest anyone visit the area and see the best and the only surviving structure (though there might be new ones now) in the area.

I built it! We face the water issue head on and the house stood tall among equals.

The thread is alive. The building is more than 1m above road level. As we were dealing with the foundation, we were also going hand in hand with water exclusion strategy. The compound floors were not only pervious but were tiled.

And the result is what we have today!

@ Babalose, that's what needed to be done when building in challenging terrain. Face it head on.

A visit to the site and probably asking the client question of what he did differently might help. The builder might be blowing things out of proportion here. An elderly Nairalander (a diehard fan of Brabus ) was here during design and foundation stage of work can attest to this.

Take note of the perimeter drain in the last pic and the compound drain with covers.

The 2nd pics shows the cover of the septic tank where it was neatly buried by the entrance gate.

Brabus

_______
I'll share another one shortly. You all know about it. We weren't talking about the problem.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 1:54am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:
Water Problem | Another Brabus Fix

Sir lastpage, in 2013 Brabus was in Aloycious Odulukwe street in Ajao estate to work a fix on a very bad land. 99% of the structures in that terrain had one foundation issue or the other and either sinking or bent beyond repair.

I suggest anyone visit the area and see the best and the only surviving structure (though there might be new ones now) in the area.

I built it! We face the water issue head on and the house stood tall among equals.

The thread is alive. The building is more than 1m above road level. As we were dealing with the foundation, we were also going hand in hand with water exclusion strategy. The compound floors were not only pervious but were tiled.

And the result is what we have today!

@ Babalose, that's what needed to be done when building in challenging terrain. Face it head on.

A visit to the site and probably asking the client question of what he did differently might help. The builder might be blowing things out of proportion here. An elderly Nairalander (a diehard fan of Brabus ) was here during design and foundation stage of work can attest to this.

Take note of the perimeter drain in the last pic and the compound drain with covers.

Brabus

_______
I'll share another one shortly. You all know about it. We weren't talking about the problem.

Your mouth sweet die grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 1:54am On May 24, 2016
[s]
sensegiver:
I didn't want to dignify you with a response. But someone need to let you know that you and first a bastard and then a wanna-be thug.

Na why Lastpage say make you go back to school be that. not too late you know.

Brabus is still a fraudster!

[/s]i have dealt with so many riff Raff like u over and over including your oga. I don't brawl with COWARDS.

Quote me with your main moniker make i school u small cheesy . Thank u.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:57am On May 24, 2016
I've given two addresses now.

1. Chateau de Brabus
2. Aloycious Odulukwe str, Ajao estate

I'll give number 3. I suggest anyone visit and compare the challenges on those sites listed above with what we were just talking about since 2013.

The 3rd site has all the building in the whole area sunk more than 4 - 8m (in extreme cases) into ground. Maybe it's not time to judge fitness because it's just a year old but it'll be worthwhile to share what was done differently.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:57am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:
Next Chateau | Edumare fun mi ni money

Wait one dang minuto.

Friend, wasn't you that was lashing me some pages back about building an unreasonably big house? Whadaheck are you going to keep in this monstrosity? Definitely not children only grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:59am On May 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Wait one dang minuto.

Friend, wasn't you that was lashing me some pages back about building an unreasonably big house? Whadaheck are you going to keep in this monstrosity? Definitely not children only grin

It's a Chapel!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:02am On May 24, 2016
FastShipping:

Your mouth sweet die grin grin grin

Visit and you'll see multimillion naira abandoned projects in the area. Best is not in good looking only. But something that is good and standing strong in midst of challenging terrain.

Wetin make I call am? Average?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 2:06am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:

Visit and you'll see multimillion naira abandoned projects in the area. Best is not in good looking only. But something that is good and standing strong in midst of challenging terrain.

Wetin make I call am? Average?

You're a good marketer. I have some Chinese items to sell. I need a good marketer like brabus. How do we proceed? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:07am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:

It's a Chapel!

Una no go kill pesin for this section with laugh grin

Good one Sir.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:14am On May 24, 2016
FastShipping:

You're a good marketer. I have some Chinese items to sell. I need a good marketer like brabus. How do we proceed? grin

Scores of people have called my door supplier today just because I posted his number.

You have patronized Endiasami because I've recommended him here times over to more than 30 users on this forum.

Share with me your goods, I'll check it and share with people. I don't market. I'm not into that. I only sell out verified businesses.

Like I told you, I've been a beta tests of so many products for more than one and half decades now. I only sell the best.

What do you have to sell Mr? 0700-NEXTHOME is the number to call.

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 2:17am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:

You just explained all we did at my chateau.

Did you notice my compound floor was done with stone dust, rice granite and cement? It makes it pervious which is very good in flood zone.

I'll even do more. Build a ground water tank and use it as a fish pond to monitor flood level. If water rises above it, then it means red herring.

Brabus

Are you saying the bedrooms in your Chateau were bailing-out water like his own .... and you used the "fix" to cure it?

or are you saying the "water environment" in your Chateau build was as bad as this but you "PRO-ACTIVELY" (as against after the problem has occurred) did all these things to PREVENT water coming up from your floors and ur house sinking, as we have in his case?

This problem should have been prevented when you noticed how bad (if you did) the terrain was.
I hope you wont repeat this kind of mistake again?

You must advice your client ab intio, of all "possibilities and what you think they MUST DO", to avert the problem.
If they refuse and insist you do it their, way, you must put your observations and recommendations into writing to them (or document it by text messages to them) ...before proceeding because at the end of the day, you are the Builder and you are expected to 'know better'.

I trust that once QC1 calls you on phone to go/come over, you will oblige and do ur utmost best.

Cheers.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 2:20am On May 24, 2016
FastShipping:

He's got talent just that he started out..... as we say in downtown lingo, "Grew too fast and died too young"! grin grin

Dont take that literally, God forbid!

I am confident he would rebrand himself properly with time.

Lastpage!

*I hate marketing job, l think its the most difficult job to do in the Nigerian environment where poverty is rife! grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 2:25am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:

Scores of people have called my door supplier today just because I posted his number.

You have patronized Endiasami because I've recommended him here times over to more than 30 users on this forum.

Share with me your goods, I'll check it and share with people. I don't market. I'm not into that. I only sell out verified businesses.

Like I told you, I've been a beta tests of so many products for more than one and half decades now. I only sell the best.

What do you have to sell Mr? 0700-NEXTHOME is the number to call.

grin grin

Your mouth sweet die.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:28am On May 24, 2016
lastpage:

Are you saying the bedrooms in your Chateau were bailing-out water like his own .... and you used the "fix" to cure it?

or are you saying the "water environment" in your Chateau build was as bad as this but you "PRO-ACTIVELY" (as against after the problem has occurred) did all these things to PREVENT water coming up from your floors and ur house sinking, as we have in his case?

This problem should have been prevented when you noticed how bad (if you did) the terrain was.
I hope you wont repeat this kind of mistake again?

You must advice your client ab intio, of all "possibilities and what you think they MUST DO", to avert the problem.
If they refuse and insist you do it their, way, you must put your observations and recommendations into writing to them (or document it by text messages to them) ...before proceeding because at the end of the day, you are the Builder and you are expected to 'know better'.

I trust that once QC1 calls you on phone to go/come over, you will oblige and do ur utmost best.

Cheers.

Lastpage!

Chateau is a case of being proactive and as a person who no get money, I choose to do everything and anything that will help protect my little investment.

Now, what happens when you advice and the client said we will do it? What happens when the problem was found after a major work has been done?

Pls take note we were building on a dry land in December only for us to notice a non-stopping ground water coming for a burst pipe from the neighbour's house. And I stopped work at slab stage to prevent further loads until permanent fix is properly appropriated.

Just like Lekki garden where govt "Stop Work" order was issued. Some other set of people (contractor or helper) went ahead to open site and raise the upper floor without me and without appropriating any fix to the already identified issues.

Tell me baba what I should have done differently.

I just want to learn o.

I cited two other projects here. They were clients. We've never met before. They were adviced by me. They did everything and even more than I recommended. They were upfront with the challenges and not the cosmetics.

Brabus
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:29am On May 24, 2016
FastShipping:

Your mouth sweet die.

grin grin grin

Wetin una wan buy!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:51am On May 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Una no go kill pesin for this section with laugh grin

Good one Sir.

It's a proposed Chapel for the Children of God.

Baba, do you really believe I'm going to do that. My next personal build is going to be minimalist with most dreaded basement.

I'm not building that type of FastShipping house. That one is a dry port for containers. We already know what to expect.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 2:54am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:

Chateau is a case of being proactive and as a person who no get money, I choose to do everything and anything that will help protect my little investment.

Now, what happens when you advice and the client said we will do it? What happens when the problem was found after a major work has been done?

Pls take note we were building on a dry land in December only for us to notice a non-stopping ground water coming for a burst pipe from the neighbour's house. And I stopped work at slab stage to prevent further loads until permanent fix is properly appropriated.

Just like Lekki garden where govt "Stop Work" order was issued. Some other set of people (contractor or helper) went ahead to open site and raise the upper floor without me and without appropriating any fix to the already identified issues.

Tell me baba what I should have done differently.

I just want to learn o.

I cited two other projects here. They were clients. We've never met before. They were adviced by me. They did everything and even more than I recommended. They were upfront with the challenges and not the cosmetics.

Brabus

Sebi u don ask kwesion, abi?

Answer: Keep QUIET! shocked shocked ...........because "the Customer is ALWAYS RIGHT"! grin grin

Seriously, l am not apportioning blame here.
I will rather encourage you to 'bend over' till the problem is fixed.

I know you and agree, as you said, you cant go to the house without a 'direct and express' invitation by the owner.

I want to see both client and contractor shake hands after a project and say "Well done".

Anyone who renders "service' or works in customer services in whatever capacity, must be extremely patient, slow to anger and even 'low' on words! So many things have gone wrong along the line of this build

if Customer gets on your wrong side, you are wrong!
if Customer gets on your right side, you are still wrong! grin grin

Its just that the rains this year will be Mad! ...and l am not happy this was not sorted before its started.
Well, lesson learned!

Lastpage!

What can you sell for me sef? grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:59am On May 24, 2016
Baba lastpage,

New containers are arriving next week at FastShipping's Dry Port

I'm his marketing strategist now.

_________
Him be my blood o! Alake a gbo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:21am On May 24, 2016
Wetin person never see for business line? The unfortuate thing is I'm always caught on the wrong side.

But one thing that keeps me going is knowing the truth which has always set me free. That's the only strength left in me and that's all I need.

Baba lastpage, there's always a place of "experience" in everything we do.

You'll agree with me that what the elder sees while sitting down, the children can never see it while standing on a chair.

You'll also agree with me sir that the day a patient chooses (like Michael Jackson) to go on self medication to cure a terminal disease, just because he felt he had personal issues with his doctor, that day is the beginning of the end.

Was there any irreconcilable differences between me and the client? No!
I guess over familiarity ruined the job because it's like most advice were not taken serious.

If I move to the site uninvited or just to claim superhero, we are still not doing things right. That's the plain truth. Let's leave the issues aside and fix the problem like men and not women (sorry mamalets in the house). And stop rehashing already known stories.

Two weeks ago, we went on this exercise. Now again!

Haba now!

Brabus.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:30am On May 24, 2016
sensegiver:

Why this guy come mumu like this? And the man you call your papa smart pass this o. We need ask your mama which of your papa driver be ur real daddy. Lets start from there.

And you had to bring his father and mother into this?

How I wish there was a moderator watching this.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:39am On May 24, 2016
sensegiver:

With all due respect sir Go fvck yourself.

To hell with your so called respect. I don't have time for an unruly kid this evening. You should be hearing from moderator soon.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:49am On May 24, 2016
@ FastShipping, pls move on! You want me to sell you some things. What are those things?

Brabus

_________
There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness here.

To keep an i.diot in suspense. Leave a message and I’ll get back to you… He'll keep repeating the same exercise because of the bolded above.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:54am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:
@ FastShipping, pls move on! You want me to sell you some things. What are those things?

Brabus

_________
There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness.

To keep an i.diot in suspense. Leave a message and I’ll get back to you… He'll keep repeating the same exercise because of the bolded above.

He's a coward because he refuses to attack with his real moniker. The kid has become a nuisance.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:59am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:
Wetin person never see for business line? The unfortuate thing is I'm always caught on the wrong side.

But one thing that keeps me going is knowing the truth which has always set me free. That's the only strength left in me and that's all I need.

Baba lastpage, there's always a place of "experience" in everything we do.

You'll agree with me that what the elder sees while sitting down, the children can never see it while standing on a chair.

You'll also agree with me sir that the day a patient chooses (like Michael Jackson) to go on self medication to cure a terminal disease, just because he felt he had personal issues with his doctor, that day is the beginning of the end.

Was there any irreconcilable differences between me and the client? No!
I guess over familiarity ruined the job because it's like most advice were not taken serious.

If I move to the site uninvited or just to claim superhero, we are still not doing things right. That's the plain truth. Let's leave the issues aside and fix the problem like men and not women (sorry mamalets in the house). And stop rehashing already known stories.

Two weeks ago, we went on this exercise. Now again!

Haba now!

Brabus.

Frankly, I thought he would have made a formal offline request for you to resolve this and tell Madam to allow you to do the work.

Truthfully, I wouldn't make any effort to go onsite until I have assurance that Madam OP is onboard with you working onsite.

I'm also certain that you can fix the issue.

OP needs to learn that you catch many Bees with honey than vinegar.

I just want the house fixed.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:04am On May 24, 2016
FastShipping:

He's a coward because he refuses to attack with his real moniker. The kid has become a nuisance.

Of course, that's what happens when ambition outweighs relevant skills. Almost everyone had canceled their subscription, yet troll wanna sell us their never ending story.

Anyway, they'll make an interesting part of "The Never-Ending Story of My Life" grin grin

Baba lastpage, you go buy?

Baba Egunmogaji, make I reserve you the hardcover edition?

FastShipping, how many copies?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:13am On May 24, 2016
n3xt:

Of course, that's what happens when ambition outweighs relevant skills. Almost everyone had canceled their subscription, yet troll wanna sell us their never ending story.

Anyway, they'll make an interesting part of "The Never-Ending Story of My Life" grin grin

Baba lastpage, you go buy?

Baba Egunmogaji, make I reserve you the hardcover edition?

FastShipping, how many copies?

Make it large print, these eyes are getting old eh grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 5:05am On May 24, 2016
This is the most interesting and informative thread for me on Nairaland. I can't remember how many times I refresh this thread on any sleepless night and I still have a good laugh even though most times, I always learn something new.
I am of the school of thought that believes "Nobody has the monopoly of wisdom".

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:50am On May 24, 2016
I may regret asking this question but where is Azuh?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (3746) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.