Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,211 members, 7,919,888 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 03:29 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2862) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4634448 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2859) (2860) (2861) (2862) (2863) (2864) (2865) ... (3730) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 7:46am On Mar 25, 2022
Part of my training is to distill issues to their basic minimums, I think that there a world of difference between trying to get services free and withholding payment until a vendor rectifies issues of concern that the client believes the vendor handled shoddily or less than satisfactorily.

I got paid 75% on a contract. 25% is still due. Client said he is not satisfied with my delivery. I said in that case I will be back. I took a month to prepare....it's services not goods, I spent a month working on the issues, then I wrote the client back, I am ready for you now.

To ask for my balance without satisfying the client is as immoral or more immoral than trying to get free services.

Even more so when this is a client that has sent funds in the millions your way.

By failing to satisfy the client you have basically cut off yourself from his network, remember that this is how money circulates among the rich and from the rich to the not so rich, by introductions and referrals.

Only a vendor who doesn't care about the future will prefer a little morsel over the enormous goodwill that satisfying a client will being in terms of future business.

The paint maestro gba.dexy will testify to this truth.

EDITED:
Do you know how money flows and circulates among the rich? Relationships and introductions.

I meant to say introductions and relationships and not introductions and referrals.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:50am On Mar 25, 2022
KolaShangOne:

Imagine contractors having to deal with this everyday.
By
On different projects.

In different states.

The best one can hope for is a seamless construction and an understanding client.
My brother it’s a serious gbege, Nigerian contractor do face this in every construction you can’t escape it.
After all your efforts to bring out good job few client will still not pay your money.
They also ( home owner) know all this artisan wahala
Well understandable client is the Koko

Am battling with one artisan presently now (Aluminum) since last year he didn’t completed my windows after I have paid him 750k to balance 150k
I called another 2 guys to give quote for the remaining work ..I got diff quotation of 470k and 490k
See problem oo ( thank God it’s a family project)

Another one happed to me 2yrs ago I bought appliance of 350k the appliances didn’t work the guy couldn’t pay back till today I just find another money and buy another appliances for my client ..when my profit is not up to 200k from the job , but the client gave me another job which I was very happed about.

Well understanding client here and off here I SALUTE you May GOD continue to be with you all.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 8:05am On Mar 25, 2022
QSFemi:
Kudos on your project.

At the bolded, I am interested in knowing why you said the BOQ prepared wasn't useful.
Was it that the amount budgeted for each critical item was inadequate or excessive?
Was it the material or labour estimation that was inaccurate?

I might be helpful.

I wouldn't mind to also share one boq with you if you're interested. It was prepared by someone on NL who goes by the name GabrOkara if I'm right. He's always on the front page of this property section advertising some architectural designs and boq services.
I'll try to share the materials that we bought for the carcass, what we used and what is left on ground. I was on ground on most days.
It didn't correlate at all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:31am On Mar 25, 2022
FEGEITOK:
Part of my training is to distill issues to their basic minimums, I think that there a world of difference between trying to get services free and withholding payment until a vendor rectifies issues of concern that the client believes the vendor handled shoddily or less than satisfactorily.

I got paid 75% on a contract. 25% is still due. Client said he is not satisfied with my delivery. I said in that case I will be back. I took a month to prepare....it's services not goods, I spent a month working on the issues, then I wrote the client back, I am ready for you now.

To ask for my balance without satisfying the client is as immoral or more immoral than trying to get free services.

Even more so when this is a client that has sent funds in the millions your way.

By failing to satisfy the client you have basically cut off yourself from his network, remember that this is how money circulates among the rich and from the rich to the not so rich, by introductions and referrals.

Only a vendor who doesn't care about the future will prefer a little morsel over the enormous goodwill that satisfying a client will being in terms of future business.

The paint maestro gba.dexy will testify to this truth.

The part you missed is that sometimes you could be initially contracted to do only one job in a site that requires 4 to 5 more previously undetermined jobs.

Let’s say to fix bathroom shower, but by time you started you discovered that pipes are broken.

By the time you agree out of good will to fix the pipe you discover that you have to tear down a concrete wall to do so.
By the time you break the wall , you realized that you have to build the wall back because “na you break am”
Is that how you met the wall when you came? Then you must paint it.

Las las, two days job you bargain for has turned to a week or two extra jobs with no agreed contract.

You dare not complain because you are a poor contractor who must satisfy oga homeowner. Whatever he likes, he pays you. After all, you already signed an agreement him. Or would you abandon the job halfway and risk being disgraced on Nairaland ?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 8:31am On Mar 25, 2022
BrickDevo:
everything seems normal except for that it seems no waterproof was installed to check dampness, and the thickness of dpc seems too small to me, otherwise i see no errors for now

The front we have 2 steps. The higher the DPC the more steps to climb it and it will block the entrance. Remember it's a block of flats. And the site is 50/100. The site sand is also laterite and not mud.

The site is draining towards the entrance and the engineer said what is needed is cut and dress. There is a natural gradient already.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:31am On Mar 25, 2022
QSFemi:
Good evening boss.

M25 - 1:2:4

Volume of concrete based on your dimension - 11.7 cubic metres.

Number of bags of cement for such volume - 59 bags.

Thanks.
I'm using 1:1:2. Its intended load is about 45 tons max.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gigaset: 8:32am On Mar 25, 2022
I was wowed when I saw this the first time, this right here is a work of art and a masterpiece kudos to Skimaski
EgunMogaji2:
Let me just throw this out here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 8:36am On Mar 25, 2022
kalu61:
Call me tomorrow to confirm. I bought 190k for 20 tons last month here in Umuahia. 30 tons should be around 270k or thereabout.
You mean call you today? Have you confirmed if it's 270K?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:36am On Mar 25, 2022
Gigaset:
I was wowed when I saw this the first time, this right here is a work of art and a masterpiece kudos to Skimaski

A complete work of art.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 8:37am On Mar 25, 2022
BrickDevo:
lolz... Maybe she discovered you be abroadian, the difference is just the quantity.

As in, as she even talk am. Even if na full 30 tons. 520K is just too much man.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 8:37am On Mar 25, 2022
BrickDevo:
looks 30tons to me but it is not filled to mountain shape like

Then I stick with the supplier I guess...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 8:38am On Mar 25, 2022
rmx:

They Came thru the builder . Don’t have it but could always get it

Alright. Please share when you get it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 8:41am On Mar 25, 2022
Ndyoo:

The front we have 2 steps. The higher the DPC the more steps to climb it and it will block the entrance. Remember it's a block of flats. And the site is 50/100. The site sand is also laterite and not mud.

The site is draining towards the entrance and the engineer said what is needed is cut and dress. There is a natural gradient already.
does this mean you don't have space for parking? well i understand what you are saying but the design bears the blame here.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 8:41am On Mar 25, 2022
Ndyoo:
You mean call you today? Have you confirmed if it's 270K?

25/tons is 270k as of yesterday.

Your architect is not cheating you at that price. Distance should be put into consideration too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 8:42am On Mar 25, 2022
QSFemi:
Kudos on your project.

At the bolded, I am interested in knowing why you said the BOQ prepared wasn't useful.
Was it that the amount budgeted for each critical item was inadequate or excessive?
Was it the material or labour estimation that was inaccurate?

I might be helpful.

For example, the cement budgeted was excessive by 50 bags for a stage. Labour estimation was x5. I can't contact the quantity surveyor anymore because I learnt he travelled abroad.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 8:43am On Mar 25, 2022
kalu61:

Your architect is not cheating you at that price. Distance should be put into consideration too.

I didn't say the architect is cheating. Rather the supplier with the quantity of the chippings. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 8:47am On Mar 25, 2022
sonnie10:

The part you missed is that sometimes you could be initially contracted to do only one job in a site that requires 4 to 5 more previously undetermined jobs.

Let’s say to fix bathroom shower, but by time you started you discovered that pipes are broken.

By the time you agree out of good will to fix the pipe you discover that you have to tear down a concrete wall to do so.
By the time you break the wall , you realized that you have to build the wall back because “na you break am”
Is that how you met the wall when you came? Then you must paint it.

Las las, two days job you bargain for has turned to a week or two extra jobs with no agreed contract.

You dare not complain because you are a poor contractor who must satisfy oga homeowner. Whatever he likes, he pays you. After all, you already signed an agreement him. Or would you abandon the job halfway and risk being disgraced on Nairaland ?

"na you break am”
Is that how you met the wall when you came? Then you must paint it"
This one off me. Part of the unforeseen situation and most of the times 99% of clients don't understand.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 8:47am On Mar 25, 2022
Ndyoo:

Then I stick with the supplier I guess...
Like suggested by others, the price is too much, you may need to ask around and compare prices, use a trusted third party as an inquirer to mask your identity.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 8:50am On Mar 25, 2022
kalu61:

If your 25 tons is 270K then I might switch to your contact. Because my supplier said that 20tons is 300K.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 8:52am On Mar 25, 2022
BrickDevo:
does this mean you don't have space for parking? well i understand what you are saying but the design bears the blame here.

There's still space for parking...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:59am On Mar 25, 2022
Flash Friday

https://www.nairaland.com/richyoungruler grin

While some are embroiled and fully immeshed in "gutter is dirty" and engaged in fisticuffs with paying clients, some intentional others have left their quality mark on Nairaland for the record.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:01am On Mar 25, 2022
rotecch77:

My brother it’s a serious gbege, Nigerian contractor do face this in every construction you can’t escape it.
After all your efforts to bring out good job few client will still not pay your money.
They also ( home owner) know all this artisan wahala
Well understandable client is the Koko

Am battling with one artisan presently now (Aluminum) since last year he didn’t completed my windows after I have paid him 750k to balance 150k
I called another 2 guys to give quote for the remaining work ..I got diff quotation of 470k and 490k
See problem oo ( thank God it’s a family project)

Another one happed to me 2yrs ago I bought appliance of 350k the appliances didn’t work the guy couldn’t pay back till today I just find another money and buy another appliances for my client ..when my profit is not up to 200k from the job , but the client gave me another job which I was very happed about.

Well understanding client here and off here I SALUTE you May GOD continue to be with you all.

How about allowing your client to get you all the materials needed for each stage of work, negotiate your labour fee and professional charge with him?

It’s the best way to manage projects in time like this.

Lastly, if possible avoid turnkey contracts, as it places huge places responsibilities that would otherwise fall on the owner in a traditional design-bid-build (per milestone) delivery on the contractor.

Even with the best intentions and planning, you can never be 100% accurate on contingencies and creeping scope (especially when changes are being made to the original scope of work) and the final cost (due to inflation).

>> Allow the owner to prepare the design, the bill of quantities, the scope/schedule and appoint a project manager.

>> Negotiate your labour and professional fee based on the prepared document.
90% of naija clients won’t ever share this with you not go this route with you because it’s not always in their favour and it pushes more responsibilities/liabilities on them.

>> Review your fees as milestones/stages in the event scope get expanded.

Our problem in Nigeria is systemic. We are always looking for ways to cut corners and push the blame on someone else.

The only people who project owners can’t cheat are those in the construction materials sector. Once price changes, they (project owners) dance to the tune.

Why should an artisan who took 350 per sqm for tiling in 2020 take the same amount in 2022?

Interestingly this is changing, a lot of us just don’t know it yet. It’s already happening in Lagos. Professional artisans no longer do daily pay for jobs. They charge after scoping your work.
Blessedsunny2 can confirm I paid over 43k just to lay tiles on about 20sqm wall tiles.

I also paid 45k just to install ceiling mural. A job done in less than 5 hours. I didn’t struggle to do this because I wasn’t on a turnkey project. I asked the client to provide a cheaper alternative if he has one.

Inflation didn’t just affect cost of building, it affects standard of living as well! So before you start doing calculations, put yourself in the shoes of those poor guys.

I come and leave in peace.

Edit:
Even ordinary shovel that we bought 1,400 in 2020 is almost 3,000 now. So as sonnie12 rightly shared, it has a lot to do with our inner man. Nothing more!

Seun
Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 9:01am On Mar 25, 2022
Ndyoo:

There's still space for parking...
ok, all the best
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 9:03am On Mar 25, 2022
kalu61:

"na you break am”
Is that how you met the wall when you came? Then you must paint it"
This one off me. Part of the unforeseen situation and most of the times 99% of clients don't understand.

Sir they understand. The ones that won’t pay additional money do not want pay because there is nothing the contractor can do.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Ndyoo(m): 9:03am On Mar 25, 2022
BrickDevo:

ok, all the best

Thanks man!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 9:07am On Mar 25, 2022
Ndyoo:

I didn't say the architect is cheating. Rather the supplier with the quantity of the chippings. Thanks
One thing is sure you must be cheated in the tonnage. Only the supplier knows the accurate measure and few people who can identify truck gauge.

I once paid 190k for 20 tone and the supplier brought 18 tones on multiple occasions. It's part of their game.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:09am On Mar 25, 2022
Flashback Friday - If You Like You Hang grin

Roll Call:

Hajji mufutau
Segcy Moore
A venture
Rubbish
Dennis 3D
Egin
Abdulwastech
Kenny
Topsy
Spider
Rotech77
Floflo
egunmogaji ( tuale o)
Kingsodigital (not the actual user name)
Dubem capital
Dabomb
Ericko
fastshiping
Brabus
Olumide for Christ
angelicbeing ( Oyinbo po ju )
Sweet home seller guy ( not the real user name)
Abuzaid.
Gbadex paint
Client ( Bikonu , ejoo yankuri)
Adanny
Skimaski
Timtol.
Allcopatec
Bixton
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 9:11am On Mar 25, 2022
Ndyoo:

If your 25 tons is 270K then I might switch to your contact. Because my supplier said that 20tons is 300K.
You must put the distance into consideration. Where is the site location?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:17am On Mar 25, 2022
Ndyoo:

You need to be specific about your site location in the south east. There are distances and locations that you'll have to pay some abnormal fares. Somewhere in Oguta my client was offered #340K for 30 tons.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 9:31am On Mar 25, 2022
n3xt:

How about allowing your client to get you all the materials needed for each stage of work, negotiate your labour fee and professional charge with him?

It’s the best way to manage projects in time like this.

Lastly, if possible avoid turnkey contracts, as it places huge places responsibilities that would otherwise fall on the owner in a traditional design-bid-build (per milestone) delivery on the contractor.

Even with the best intentions and planning, you can never be 100% accurate on contingencies and creeping scope (especially when changes are being made to the original scope of work) and the final cost (due to inflation).

>> Allow the owner to prepare the design, the bill of quantities, the scope/schedule and appoint a project manager.

>> Negotiate your labour and professional fee based on the prepared document.
90% of naija clients won’t ever share this with you not go this route with you because it’s not always in their favour and it pushes more responsibilities/liabilities on them.

>> Review your fees as milestones/stages in the event scope get expanded.

Our problem in Nigeria is systemic. We are always looking for ways to cut corners and push the blame on someone else.

The only people who project owners can’t cheat are those in the construction materials sector. Once price changes, they (project owners) dance to the tune.

Why should an artisan who took 350 per sqm for tiling in 2020 take the same amount in 2022?

Interestingly this is changing, a lot of us just don’t know it yet. It’s already happening in Lagos. Professional artisans no longer do daily pay for jobs. They charge after scoping your work.
Blessedsunny2 can confirm I paid over 43k just to lay tiles on about 20sqm wall tiles.

I also paid 45k just to install ceiling mural. A job done in less than 5 hours. I didn’t struggle to do this because I wasn’t on a turnkey project. I asked the client to provide a cheaper alternative if he has one.

Inflation didn’t just affect cost of building, it affects standard of living as well! So before you start doing calculations, put yourself in the shoes of those poor guys.

I come and leave in peace.

Seun
Mynd44

I'm typing in access bank at timber here in Umuahia. What's the issue?

A project we are handling in MOUAU was halted for 2weeks now for valuation and payment to the main contractor.
He called this morning to enquire about price of 16mm and 8mm for the pillars. I told him 7650 and 2150. Argument began oo. That why have we being buying at 7700 and 2200. That was two week ago. He felt l have been cheating on him but price has dropped within that space. I was pissed off by the way he puts it. He is an honorable.

Instead of pushing the money to my account as we used to, he now asked of the dealers number. Which l have sent to him. I deal with Damara intl.

I actually felt bad about the suspicion because l have been very honest with him.

I have made up my mind that from now henceforth, he will arrange for any supplies. I will not do those errands for him and l am not being paid for it. I have been doing it to keep that relationship.

I will stick to labour and supervision as stipulated by the contract.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 9:34am On Mar 25, 2022
bixton:

You need to be specific about your site location in the south east. There are distances and locations that you'll have to pay some abnormal fares. Somewhere in Oguta my client was offered #340K for 30 tons.

There are two major quarries in the East, Okigwe and Abakiliki . Some areas are closer to Okigwe, like Oguta, orlu, ihiala while others are closer to Abakiliki.
Before, people used to go as far as Akampa in CRS and Edo to get granites.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 9:37am On Mar 25, 2022
Hmm,, sometimes, the best answer for a fool is silence, those who know me here and have dealt with me, know it’s not about the money, it’s the principle of the thing! I don’t need to brag. Even the artisan knows this, I have given him chances upon chances and he cannot deny that.

I rest, answer not a fool in his folly.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2859) (2860) (2861) (2862) (2863) (2864) (2865) ... (3730) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: FEGEITOK and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.