Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,821 members, 7,889,716 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:50 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (649) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4562990 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) ... (3715) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:13pm On Mar 21, 2017
olumz1:

They are in pristine condition, sometimes it's costlier to dispose off during renovation work so they give them away free.
Oh ok I see you mean used doors .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:15pm On Mar 21, 2017
bereiweris:
pls House i need ur help planning on moulding blocks during 2nd week of may bt people are advising me not to cause of the rains in port harcourt bt i reali want to mould den so i dont gulp up the little money ve saved. please how do i go about moulding during this said period. ur advice wud b very much appreciated. Tnx
What's the size you moulding ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 1:24pm On Mar 21, 2017
6" hollow & some 6"solid tnx
erico2k2:

What's the size you moulding ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:46pm On Mar 21, 2017
bereiweris:
6" hollow & some 6"solid tnx
Well if you wanna mould get in with it b4 the rains.buy waterproof to cover the fresh moulded block in case it rains b4 it gets dry . I did same in PH . But if you ha e a trusted supplier then you can buy already made . Saves you packing and arranging fees .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 2:44pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

That's one of the things that drew me to my floorplan.

I can hide my panels easily from prying eyes, and I can frolick outside while still being inside.

Shout out to me Architect, Darenyx @ https://www.nairaland.com/darenyx, I recommend him without any hesitation.

I know Oga KolaShangOne doesn't favor black roof but it helps blend in solar electric panels and solar water heaters. There really is a method to EgunMogajis madness grin
truly this is your roof design?
That conviniently hides the panels

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Blocking up the 4 window spaces though should not cost more than 10k I reckon, so still saving myself about 40k. My question really is that is a window actually necessary for a small store in a flat?

You'll have to look at it in totality. That window may have a purpose there for perhaps cross flows.

I don't have a window in my pantry but that was designed that way from the beginning.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:

Okay, on a different topic. I have got to the stage of installing windows to my building. The number of windows is 56!!! As I am planning on going for casement windows with inbuilt burglary proof and mosquito netting/screen, this will cost me a few bob! So I am looking at reducing the number of windows. The draughtsman that drew the plan for me drew windows for the small stores (one store per flat; block of 4 flats), so that's 4 store windows I could potentially get rid off, as I do not see the reason for a window in a small store in a flat? Or an I wrong, is it definitely needed?

It is not energy efficient to have to turn on the light every time you want to access the store
a properly placed window allows for natural lighting.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 4:22pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You'll have to look at it in totality. That window may have a purpose there for perhaps cross flows.

I don't have a window in my pantry but that was designed that way from the beginning.

Okay, thanks. I suppose I might just have to leave it as per the plan and bear the cost

On a different note. Somebody mentioned to me that burglary proof/bars done separately is better and more durable that the ones incorporated in the window. What are your opinions guys? All-in-one casement window (window+burglary bars) or installing burglary bars separately? Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 4:30pm On Mar 21, 2017
erico2k2:

Well if you wanna mould get in with it b4 the rains.buy waterproof to cover the fresh moulded block in case it rains b4 it gets dry . I did same in PH . But if you ha e a trusted supplier then you can buy already made . Saves you packing and arranging fees .
tnx for the advice. i reali appreciate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:27pm On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:

Okay, thanks. I suppose I might just have to leave it as per the plan and bear the cost

On a different note. Somebody mentioned to me that burglary proof/bars done separately is better and more durable that the ones incorporated in the window. What are your opinions guys? All-in-one casement window (window+burglary bars) or installing burglary bars separately? Thanks

I looked at all the pros and cons and I decided against the built in burglaries.

1) It looks too Kirikiriish to me.
2) It's final, you can't decide to remove burglary in the future.
3) You don't have opportunity to have a bespoke design, they're all the same. Well, I don't play well in the same box with others, mostly grin

So it's down to personal preference.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 6:08pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I looked at all the pros and cons and I decided against the built in burglaries.

3) You don't have opportunity to have a bespoke design, they're all the same. Well, I don't play well in the same box with others, mostly grin

Kirikiriish - will recommend to Oxford.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:20pm On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:

All in one casement windows can be 30 percent cheaper or more and will serve the same purpose security wise. This cost saving is not to be snift at.

Aesthetically, to me it's​ aslo more appealing as the colour of the bar blends with the colour of the casement. An integrated whole.

The protrusion of the burglary bar if done separately will pose a slight design and aesthetics challenge with the pop finish especially if one did two courses after lintel. The upper level of the window wall is not flushed to showcase the beauty of the pop. The burglary proof can be an aesthetic disruption.

Again if burglary proof is done separately, one precludes the use of the lower level of the window especially in the kitchen and bathroom. So one may struggle to store stuff like washing up liquid, soap, containers by the window.

All in one casement window is quicker to install with better results to my reckoning. But that's just me.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 21, 2017
Empiree:
truly this is your roof design?
That conviniently hides the panels

Yes it's my ongoing build.

There's a 500 square feet central courtyard.

Fear just dey catch me for the roofing estimates I've been getting shocked

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:15pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Brother, no be only you fear dey catch. Just when i set my eyes on your structure my heart starts to beat faster than federal express cheesy cheesy

Looks like palace. Did you have the idea of installing solar panels before you came up with this structure?. I have no idea where solar panels could seat out of view on mine. I have roofed mine before i got the idea of solar system. You have the chance but i de fear the cost for you man. You seem to be taking your time with your project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 7:18pm On Mar 21, 2017
diordaves:

All in one casement windows can be 30 percent cheaper or more and will serve the same purpose security wise. This cost saving is not to be snift at.

Aesthetically, to me it's​ aslo more appealing as the colour of the bar blends with the colour of the casement. An integrated whole.

The protrusion of the burglary bar if done separately will pose a slight design and aesthetics challenge with the pop finish especially if one did two courses after lintel. The upper level of the window wall is not flushed to showcase the beauty of the pop. The burglary proof can be an aesthetic disruption.

Again if burglary proof is done separately, one precludes the use of the lower level of the window especially in the kitchen and bathroom. So one may struggle to store stuff like washing up liquid, soap, containers by the window.

All in one casement window is quicker to install with better results to my reckoning. But that's just me.

Okay, thanks for the advice. What do you think about the fly screen/mosquito net?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:29pm On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:

Okay, on a different topic. I have got to the stage of installing windows to my building. The number of windows is 56!!! As I am planning on going for casement windows with inbuilt burglary proof and mosquito netting/screen, this will cost me a few bob! So I am looking at reducing the number of windows. The draughtsman that drew the plan for me drew windows for the small stores (one store per flat; block of 4 flats), so that's 4 store windows I could potentially get rid off, as I do not see the reason for a window in a small store in a flat? Or an I wrong, is it definitely needed?
. The foremost aim of putting up window(s) in any structure is for proper ventilation and also sun rays(natural light) into the building. Window in a store is most probably for sun rays(natural light) into that particular area and as long as you don't intend putting fridge/freezers there as well. I reckon you can mount glass blocks in that position to cut cost. I guess the store will go with tiles already.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:30pm On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:

Okay, thanks for the advice. What do you think about the fly screen/mosquito net?

Nothing to worry about, net included. The net is installed in a sliding format. So to access the handle of the window, you slide the net to one side, open the window and slide the net back into place.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Memejem: 7:46pm On Mar 21, 2017
Do you know where they sell this kind of embedded window with the net in the east? Onitsha?

diordaves:

Nothing to worry about, net included. The net is installed in a sliding format. So to access the handle of the window, you slide the net to one side, open the window and slide the net back into place.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:51pm On Mar 21, 2017
Empiree:
Brother, no be only you fear dey catch. Just when i set my eyes on your structure my heart starts to beat faster than federal express cheesy cheesy

Looks like palace. Did you have the idea of installing solar panels before you came up with this structure?. I have no idea where solar panels could seat out of view on mine. I have roofed mine before i got the idea of solar system. You have the chance but i de fear the cost for you man. You seem to be taking your time with your project.

My design from the beginning is Mediterranean structure due to the weather in Nigeria.

There were four things on my mind.

1) Passive cooling - a giant hole in the middle of the structure guarantees air flow without active cooling.

2) Privacy - with the internal courtyard I can entertain to my delight in private. It's also zone into private, semi private and public areas on the inside.

3) Security - it is my opinion that this is a very safe design and it even has a safe room.

4) Single Level - thinking ahead to old age, it had to be a bungalow.

From the onset I had solar on my mind.

I'm not in any particular hurry to finish the house though I need to seal it sooner than later. I still have another 15 years in the US.

The apartment garage is completed but needs pain painting so I have a place to rest my bones for now and the gateman house is almost done.

No hurry, I'm good with laying one block per year grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:06pm On Mar 21, 2017
Memejem:
Do you know where they sell this kind of embedded window with the net in the east? Onitsha?

I'm not familiar with Onitsha but a good aluminium workman can deliver a decent job. They are normally custom designed, you can't buy casement windows off the shelf.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

there are robbers on nl, maybe even on this thread. if you're going to insist on no burglar proofing [very very dangerous choice imho], then you need to ensure all the doors are steel doors in steel frames, so that if you have a second level pentration [first level is fence], the robbers cannot get beyond the room they entered. you will have to do blockwork to the roof otherwise they will navigate via ceiling.

safe room will not do much good if they get to you first. the goal of burglar proofing is to slow robbers down.

if you hate burglar proofing that much and you have enough cash you can go for window lamination [bulletproofing]

note that it is sometimes your artisans who will sicc robbers onto you as you move into your house

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 8:29pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

My design from the beginning is Mediterranean structure due to the weather in Nigeria.

1) Passive cooling - a giant hole in the middle of the structure guarantees air flow without active cooling.

2) Privacy - with the internal courtyard I can entertain to my delight in private. It's also zone into private, semi private and public areas on the inside.

3) Security - it is my opinion that this is a very safe design and it even has a safe room.

I'm not in any particular hurry to finish the house though I need to seal it sooner than later. I still have another 15 years in the US.

The apartment garage is completed but needs pain painting so I have a place to rest my bones for now and the gateman house is almost done.
You really planned ahead. That's great. I want to believe your land is wide to accommodate this structure. God bless your hustle. Seems you gonna enjoy your old age in that crib you called courtyard. 15years is pretty enough to save towards whatever you want.

Lol, you are known for your kobo kobo snail moving project
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:52pm On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:

Not true.. if good iron is used for your burglary they will all be of the same strength. Look mine below.
Also read @Diordaves post above... he already sum it up... reason why I had mine installed inside the windows..

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 21, 2017
mufutau55:

Not true.. if good iron is used for your burglary they will all be of the same strength. Look mine below.
Also read @Diordaves post below... he already sum it up... reason why I had mine installed inside the windows..

Hajji M.

is that solid steel or hollow pipe
if hollow, what thickness are the pipes?

robbers came to our house when i was in university.[this was 1997,1998] . we had burglar proofing. they broke through it in 45 minutes. the burglar proofing was simply decorative hollow pipes. take a hammer [the type used for breaking concrete] or a bolt cutter to one of the samples to determine just how tough it actually is.

dont wait for that day to find out if your protection is up to scratch
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:02pm On Mar 21, 2017
oyb:

there are robbers on nl, maybe even on this thread. if you're going to insist on no burglar proofing [very very dangerous choice imho], then you need to ensure all the doors are steel doors in steel frames, so that if you have a second level pentration [first level is fence], the robbers cannot get beyond the room they entered. you will have to do blockwork to the roof otherwise they will navigate via ceiling.

safe room will not do much good if they get to you first. the goal of burglar proofing is to slow robbers down.

if you hate burglar proofing that much and you have enough cash you can go for window lamination [bulletproofing]

note that it is sometimes your artisans who will sicc robbers onto you as you move into your house

I didn't say that I wasn't using burglary. I just don't subscribe to embedded burglary and prefer the traditional external ones. Like in this picture and similar to some used by Skimanski.

If a robber makes it to my front door, after I've moved in full time, then my years of training have been wasted wink

It's all about levels of defense. Burglary is not burglary proof as we've seen on here, just burglary resistant. Safe room doesn't mean only that you'll hide in there - wish I could say more wink

Trust me I'm good and methodological.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:07pm On Mar 21, 2017
oyb:

robbers came to our house when i was in university.[this was 1997,1998] . we had burglar proofing. they broke through it in 45 minutes. the burglar proofing was simply decorative hollow pipes. take a hammer [the type used for breaking concrete] or a bolt cutter to one of the samples to determine just how tough it actually is.

Anything you put in your house is just a deterrent... it's a hollow strong iron, not those aluminum type o..
Even if it's solid iron... if they have the time, it can still be cut... Pray none of them come to your house o.

Note: Don't worry... Erico2k2 and EgunMogaji already gave me that "Sweep the compound broom" thing as secondary protection. smiley

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 21, 2017
mufutau55:

Anything you put in your house is just a deterrent... it's a hollow strong iron, not those aluminum type..
Even if its solid iron... if they have the time, it can still be cut... Pray none of them come to your house o.

Note: Don't worry... Erico2k2 and EgunMogaji already gave me that "Sweep the compound broom" thing as secondary protection. smiley

Hajji M.

grin

And my girls

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:13pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

grin
And my girls

I will surely stay out of your house... I don't like dogs, especially those types.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 9:54pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

waithing the make you fear, if the total area of the house no pass 515 SQM he no pass between 2.9 to 3.2 million including wooden and gutters if you choose to used motopo Aluminum 0.55mm all round. Though this may depends on your roofing hight and design sha.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:08pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I had you, kobo kobo like my friend says coming out nice oh. No rush like those fake Chinese fan way know the last.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 10:13pm On Mar 21, 2017
mufutau55:

"Sweep the compound broom" thing as secondary protection. smiley

Hajji M.

tongue grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:24pm On Mar 21, 2017
oyb:

I'm not too sure how Haji M executed his Windows as displayed but normally inside the square hollow pipes is a 16mm rod. So if you took a hammer to it, you will meet the rod and probably be thwarted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) (652) ... (3715) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Rany4all(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.