Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,819 members, 7,889,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:22 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (658) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4562911 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (655) (656) (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) ... (3715) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:31am On Mar 30, 2017
InvertedHammer:

\\
It is obvious that it is not about cost. They are just intimidated by the prospect of delving into new areas that evidently offer cheaper alternatives. One good job will yield referrals that will offset cost of tools in due time. They are hiding under costs to mask their mental laziness. None of them has any iota of idea of what the cost is. They are simply intimidated by new things.

Like they say,"a bad workman quarrels with his tools". These ones haven't even tried the tools yet and they are already quarreling wih it. The safest bet is to stay away from folks like that while they pry their trade among fellow charlatans.

Don't be surprised that hslbroker is using akinolaolajide handle to suck in more victims. Both of them sound eerily same, but then only to the gullibles to the antics of scam artist. Talk is cheap.
//
what will be your gain destroying fellow men, with false accusation, some people are here that know that all this are game just to destroy a man, machinery at work, try to understand that there so many things involve in construction management, that sometimes in all your effort at end even what you met on site that the owner of the site don't know and you even try your best to explain, they won't believe or try to understand, in all I gave to this community, in all my effort, you want to pay me back with this your blasphemy, fasle accusation, how on earth you tagged me with the above handler, for what and in what, God alone can forgive u.because this not my name or username
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ANBAKO: 1:35pm On Mar 30, 2017
wanaj0:

Layman? I laugh. In your haste to post you show lack of understanding of the import of my post.

To break it down for you, cost is the major driver of the construction practices. This cost is both the initial cost of tools and equipment and sometimes the running cost of maintaining them.

Next is the infrastructure to support such construction practices. How many factories are available to properly cut and treat wood in the country?

You use bamboo because it is 'cheaper'. Will Julius Berger do the same? NO. Will the 'usual' client in Nigeria pay for the use of iron scaffolds? How many people in Nigeria are even aware that there are certifications for scaffolders and riggers?

Ideas must be adjusted to suit the environment where you operate.

Nigeria is not that backward as you think. People in the engineering sector know very well the importance of scaffolding, rigging and certifications. You don't expect anyone not in that sector to have awareness of these.

Lastly, what is the relationship between scaffolder and riggers?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 1:55pm On Mar 30, 2017
Prices of building materials updated today 30th march 2017.

The site display has been optimized, You can now enjoy the best user friendly experience across all devices.
Visit www.set2build.com

also follow us on our social media platforms
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 2:04pm On Mar 30, 2017
ANBAKO:

Nigeria is not that backward as you think. People in the engineering sector know very well the importance of scaffolding, rigging and certifications. You don't expect anyone not in that sector to have awareness of these.

Very true, Nigeria is not backward, there's just a huge majority who are very good at cutting corners and generally believe that there's always a way around everything.

www.set2build.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 2:34pm On Mar 30, 2017
Memejem:
Do you know where they sell this kind of embedded window with the net in the east? Onitsha?

Go to Uguta Road

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 30, 2017
segzy14:
Ongoing workshop

Totally love this and would have attended if I was in the country.

Thanks for sharing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2017
wanaj0:

Layman? I laugh. In your haste to post you show lack of understanding of the import of my post.

To break it down for you, cost is the major driver of the construction practices. This cost is both the initial cost of tools and equipment and sometimes the running cost of maintaining them.

Next is the infrastructure to support such construction practices. How many factories are available to properly cut and treat wood in the country?

You use bamboo because it is 'cheaper'. Will Julius Berger do the same? NO. Will the 'usual' client in Nigeria pay for the use of iron scaffolds? How many people in Nigeria are even aware that there are certifications for scaffolders and riggers?

Ideas must be adjusted to suit the environment where you operate.
Bamboo is used in China as we speak for scaffolds.
I dont know why you think bamboo can not be used in JB if deemed fit
Check this out
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2290166/Hong-Kongs-ultra-modern-skyscrapers-built-scaffolding-BAMBOO.html
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:30pm On Mar 30, 2017
ANBAKO:

Rigging in Scalford in is a term used for putting up poles . Ie joining them together just as riggers do in oil wells.I'm hoping U get the gist
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 30, 2017
erico2k2:

Rigging in Scalford in is a term used for putting up poles . Ie joining them together just as riggers do in oil wells.I'm hoping U get the gist

Boss, I forgot where the baton is now at angry

I'll need to pick it up soon. Again.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 6:51pm On Mar 30, 2017
kopell:
my brother what is the total cost of the governor concert, stamp duty is part of the cost after deed titles registration then concert. I believe it's easier to do it one process, sometimes one can get deed stamp in court before proceeding to do the rest later.

What stage are you?

You must know someone for your file to move. I can give you a contact in Alausa where your paper must pass through his desk.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:18pm On Mar 30, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Boss, I forgot where the baton is now at angry

I'll need to pick it up soon. Again.
ahaha I kept it under that stair case where Ambode ask me to leave it for you,you will need to grease OC palms to collect it grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 30, 2017
amanikondo:

What stage are you?

You must know someone for your file to move. I can give you a contact in Alausa where your paper must pass through his desk.

Nigeria I continue to hail thee.

All this backdoor movements una dey do grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 30, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Worst part is that 90% of them are full of shit. Hustlers who provide absolutely no value. They just make up stories.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 30, 2017
oyb:

Worst part is that 90% of them are full of shit. Hustlers who provide absolutely no value. They just make up stories.

We submitted for Nigerian passports back in mid-January in Ibadan for my Wife and Daughter. We're at the end of March and no passports yet.

And I paid more than the official price. So my Wife is asking me what exactly was the extra money for.

Initial story was that they are out of books, then it was that Buhari was out of the country and needed to sign something, now he's back and still no passports.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 8:31pm On Mar 30, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I have wasted lots of money in the past. Nothing will move if you don't know the right person. Someone will open office on your head dey collect money after money.

I just got another consent last month.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 8:35pm On Mar 30, 2017
oyb:

Are you referring to my own claim of knowing someone or general happenings?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 30, 2017
EgunMogaji:

We submitted for Nigerian passports back in mid-January in Ibadan for my Wife and Daughter. We're at the end of March and no passports yet.

And I paid more than the official price. So my Wife is asking me what exactly was the extra money for.

Initial story was that they are out of books, then it was that Buhari was out of the country and needed to sign something, now he's back and still no passports.

I paid a 'consultant' for speedy driver lic. It took 10 months
I had the same issue with passport

We have engaged different lasg Consultants' ( officers with side businesses). You pay top dollar, and they still cannot guarantee everything. Worse they keep mum about booby traps so they can charge more down the line. It's so bad that i am downloading materials so can be certain of ALL the requirements.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 30, 2017
amanikondo:

Are you referring to my own claim of knowing someone or general happenings?

I think that it's just in general.

Think about it, we're paying someone to do a job that we already paid for either with taxes or by direct fee.

I was planting a basketball pole once at my corner property and the HOA did not approve it because they were confused about which side of the street I faced. I argued that I can't face two streets and one street must be a side street. So we ended up at city council.

The city council member wanted to stop by and see first hand the issue. The day he came to inspect, my Wife offered him a drink. He refused and said that it's a conflict of interest and might be seen as swaying his judgement.

I hope we can reach this state one day at home.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 9:22pm On Mar 30, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I think that it's just in general.

Think about it, we're paying someone to do a job that we already paid for either with taxes or by direct fee.

I was planting a basketball pole once at my corner property and the HOA did not approve it because they were confused about which side of the street I faced. I argued that I can't face two streets and one street must be a side street. So we ended up at city council.

The city council member wanted to stop by and see first hand the issue. The day he came to inspect, my Wife offered him a drink. He refused and said that it's a conflict of interest and might be seen as swaying his judgement.

I hope we can reach this state one day at home.

Okay. Me I have given up. If you take the money, just deliver the services. Apart from this, it seems some are out for blood. I have been sold a land in Ogombo for 2.5 Million whereas the person bought it for me paid 1M for the land. I sold the land after 5 years for 1.8M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:27pm On Mar 30, 2017
amanikondo:

Okay. Me I have given up. If you take the money, just deliver the services. Apart from this, it seems some are out for blood. I have been sold a land in Ogombo for 2.5 Million whereas the person bought it for me paid 1M for the land. I sold the land after 5 years for 1.8M.

So in your quest to buy a plot of land, you've effectively bought one and a half plot for a leech. And the diaspora see this all over the building/property trade. So you think you are building a modest structure back in Nigeria through a home based not knowing that home based is building a mansion for himself through you.

Yes building a structure in Nigeria may be expensive but the rapacious, inherent and perversive fraud is well over 50 percent of the final cost.

No building in Nigeria is not expensive, fraud is.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:27am On Mar 31, 2017
amanikondo:

That is Naija for you, the saddest part is majority may not see anything wrong with what he does.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:51am On Mar 31, 2017
amanikondo:

Osanobua o shocked

And here I am upset that I was had for N35K for laterite. I'll shut up and stop complaining now.

Some people are going to be merged onto the high speed lane to hell when they die.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:52am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Egun sorry to hear that. Nigeria passport in Nigeria House NYC only takes 2 weeks to be issued after satisfying all the process and payment online. Renew takes 1 day.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 31, 2017
kopell:
Egun sorry to hear that. Nigeria passport in Nigeria House NYC only takes 2 weeks to be issued after satisfying all the process and payment online. Renew takes 1 day.

I'll have to travel to New York and by then I'll almost half way to Lagos grin

They really need to set up an embassy here in Los Angeles or San Fransisco.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:01am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You're right about that, about the same distance to London from NY to your End.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 1:05am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Osanobua o shocked

And here I am upset that I was had for N35K for laterite. I'll shut up and stop complaining now.

Some people are going to be merged onto the high speed lane to hell when they die.

Still kept the receipt.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 1:17am On Mar 31, 2017
kopell:
That is Naija for you, the saddest part is majority may not see anything wrong with what he does.

I even got a quote of 3.4 Million from the same person to fence the plot. This was the period when $ was 120 to Naira.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:48am On Mar 31, 2017
amanikondo:

I even got a quote of 3.4 Million from the same person to fence the plot. This was the period when $ was 120 to Naira.
Wow SAD heartless people .This happens everyday, something similar happened to me today. Even though they knew I came to Naija once or twice a year, imagine people that don't have the opportunity to travel to see the progress of their projects. My experience today is a story of another time, many of them think we pick money on trees they will start comparing the amount we get paid with theirs. They forget their rent for 1 year or more is what people pay here monthly.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onyema1(m): 2:55am On Mar 31, 2017
@spyder880 and all the construction gurus in the house, please help me out. I am doing the wordwork for roofing my 8 all ensuite bed room duplex. Now my builder has sent me this quote for the plumbing work and electrical work. Please look at the quote and let me know whether it is within range, especially the labour costs. I plan to discuss it with him this afternoon and would appreciate your views before I meet him. You can see from the time I am making this post that I have not been able to sleep since he sent this quote. I don't really have time to go to the market to check these prices, I will allow him buy if the prices are not way off. The site is in Enugu.

MECHANICAL/ PLUMBING CONDUIT PIPING
1. 4” Pipe 52 lengths @1650 85,800.00
2. 11/2 “ pipe ( waste) 28 lengths @800 22,400.00
3. 11/4 “ pressure pipe 19lengths @800 15,200.00
4. 1” pressure pipe 35lenghts @1700 59,500.00
5. ¾ pipe 18lengths @1200 21,600.00
6. ½ “ pipe 8lengths @800 6400.00
7. 4” Bend 32nos @800 25,600.00
8. 11/2 bend 48 nos @250 12,000.00
9. 11/4 elbow 20nos @200 4,000.00
10. ¾ elbow 90 nos @50 4,500.00
11. 1” elbow 40nos @100 4,000.00
12. ½” elbow 40 nos @40 1,600.00
13. 11/4 Tee 10nos @200 2,000.00
14. 1” Tee 20nos @100 2,000.00
15. ¾ Tee 50nos @50 2,500.00
16. ½” Tee 40nos @40 1,600.00
17. 4” X 45o 14nos @600 8,400.00
18. 11/2 X 18nos @200 3,600.00
19. 11/4 X 1” elbow 18nos @200 3,600.00
20. 1” X ¾ elbow 24nos @100 2,400.00
21. ¾ X ½ elbow 24nos @50 1,200.00
22. 11/4 X 1” Tee 18nos @200 3,600.00
23. 1” X ¾ Tee 10nos @100 1,000.00
24. ¾ X ½ Tee 24nos @50 1,200.00
25. ½” Tick pipe white 24nos @1200 28,800.00
26. 4”blue tick pipe 1 @2300 23,000.00
27. ¾ female elbow 24nos @50 1,200.00
28. ½” female elbow 24nos @40 960.00
29. 11/2 Tee plug 34nos @400 13,600.00
30. ¾ stop cock 14 @1300 18,200.00
31. ¾ adapter 28 @60 1,680.00
32. Tangit gum medium 19tins @1700 32,300.00
33. Yarn 3 @200 600.00
34. 11/2 Y-Tee 18 @400 72,000.00
35. Floor waste 3 @500 1,500.00
36. 3”pipe A.C 27 @800 21,600.00
37. 3”x 45o 36 @450 16,200.00
38. 3”plug 40 @50 2,000.00
Transportation of materials 6000
TOTAL 450,840.00
Labour 230,000.00
GRAND TOTAL 680,840.00
ELECTRICAL CONDUIT PIPING
1. 20mm Niger pipe 55bundles @9000 495,000.00
2. 25mm ‘’ ‘’ 3 bundles @7000 21,000.00
3. 20mm male bush 8pkts @1200 9,600.00
4. 3 x3 knock out box 18pkts @600 10,800.00
5. 3 x 6 knock out box 4pkts @600 2,400.00
6. couplin 8pkts @1000 8,000
7. U way box 16pkts @1000 16000
8. Y way box 15pkts @1000 15000
9. 20mm 4 way box 11pkts @1400 15000
10. Looping Box 8pkts @1000 8000
11. Union Gum 11tins @800 8800
12. 6 x6 adaptable 5pkts @700 3500
13. 4 x 4 adaptable 5pkts @500 2500
14. 6 x 9 Adaptable 7pkts @900 6300
15. Cooker Unit Box 4 @800 3200
16. D8 consumer unit box(smart) 2 @40000 80000
17. Tee Box 10pkts @1000 10,000
18. Thru Box 5pkts @1000 5,000
19. D4 Consumer unit box (smart) 2 @35000 70000
20. Copper arrestor 2ft @12500 12500
21. Cooper basket @5000 5000
22. Industrial salt 1bag @3500 3500
23. Charcoal 1bag @1500 1500
24. Copper belt 80ft @750 60000
25. Transportation 5000
TOTAL 877,600

LABOUR 210000
SUPERVISION 50000
TOTAL 1,137,600.00

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 4:15am On Mar 31, 2017
Onyema1:
@spyder880 and all the construction gurus in the house, please help me out. I am doing the wordwork for roofing my 8 all ensuite bed room duplex. Now my builder has sent me this quote for the plumbing work and electrical work. Please look at the quote and let me know whether it is within range, especially the labour costs. I plan to discuss it with him this afternoon and would appreciate your views before I meet him. You can see from the time I am making this post that I have not been able to sleep since he sent this quote. I don't really have time to go to the market to check these prices, I will allow him buy if the prices are not way off. The site is in Enugu.

33. Yarn 3 @200 600.00
TOTAL 450,840.00
Labour 230,000.00
GRAND TOTAL 680,840.00
25. Transportation 5000
TOTAL 877,600

LABOUR 210000
SUPERVISION 50000
TOTAL 1,137,600.00

What! This quote for only your house or for the whole houses on your street or town? grin grin

I stopped reading when I saw 55 bundles of electrical pipes, that should be enough for at least 7 big duplexes.

The workmanship is wayy to much, and he still added supervision to it.

I don't think I have bought up to 50 bundles of pipes in this whole 3 decking slabs,two flats on a floor, and wall conduit piping. And the workmanship for piping here is about N180,000 for the whole house.

Renegotiate the whole quote. Be very firm bros cheesy

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:25am On Mar 31, 2017
Onyema1:

33. Yarn 3 @200 600.00
TOTAL 450,840.00
Labour 230,000.00
GRAND TOTAL 680,840.00
25. Transportation 5000
TOTAL 877,600

LABOUR 210000
SUPERVISION 50000
TOTAL 1,137,600.00

haba wetin happen?

way much as for the electrical part.

send me drawing let me give you a guide
we just did similar job in asaba last week
twinskenny@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 8:18am On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Atlanta is the quickest. It is "wait-and-collect". The whole process took me less than 3 hours.

(1) (2) (3) ... (655) (656) (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) ... (3715) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Moda1, Stamford007(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.