Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,298 members, 7,887,885 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 03:45 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (716) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4557657 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (713) (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) ... (3714) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 11:14am On Jul 01, 2017
Please house how many plots are in 3,040 square meters?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 11:20am On Jul 01, 2017
DUNKA:
Please house how many plots are in 3,040 square meters?
Sizes of plot varies with location, what is the size of a plot in your area?
It is simple mathematics, get d area of the plot & divide.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:11pm On Jul 01, 2017
kopell:
Man you need to introduce that painter in action to us here, his working environment may not be as neat as expected. I can see his method of painting is as professional as it could be. I may be wrong he used spraying gun instead of local traditional brush that will take forever to paint a house. In spraying method one could save a lot in paint and it could be done faster. I do understand every corner can not be easily sprayed but most wide-opened space can be sprayed to save time and money.

The pix is from Nairaland. The painter is not someone I've engaged, but for illustration only.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adegbulugbe(m): 12:41pm On Jul 01, 2017
francmoda:
Veterans in the house, I greet u all...I have been following this thread since inception and have really learnt a lot.. I would like to post my Archi drawing here for critical analysis and possibly price estimate for my first milestone (foundation to first deck)... location...PH

Ground floor

A good design,but would have advice your master shouldn't be at the Conner back of the building
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adegbulugbe(m): 12:50pm On Jul 01, 2017
francmoda:
Veterans in the house, I greet u all...I have been following this thread since inception and have really learnt a lot.. I would like to post my Archi drawing here for critical analysis and possibly price estimate for my first milestone (foundation to first deck)... location...PH

Ground floor

Laundry might be good outside the building invade you are inviting a dry cleaner to wash cloth for you and he wount have access to you house even if you aren't around,but you will have to fix a security door to the dinning exit and the kitchen as well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 12:59pm On Jul 01, 2017
johnson232:

Sizes of plot varies with location, what is the size of a plot in your area?
It is simple mathematics, get d area of the plot & divide.
100 x 50
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 01, 2017
DUNKA:
100 x 50

I don't do meters.

Your 3040 square meters = 32,722 square feet.

Plot is 5,000 square feet so you may get 6.5 plots depending on how surveyor cuts it based on topography and other factors.

Disclaimer: My calculations are worth exactly what you paid for them smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 4:32pm On Jul 01, 2017
DUNKA:
100 x 50
6.7 plots
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:13pm On Jul 01, 2017
diordaves:

The pix is from Nairaland. The painter is not someone I've engaged, but for illustration only.
thanks. I hope the guy saw our conversation someone may need of his service.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 7:01pm On Jul 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I don't do meters.

Your 3040 square meters = 32,722 square feet.

Plot is 5,000 square feet so you may get 6.5 plots depending on how surveyor cuts it based on topography and other factors.

Disclaimer: My calculations are worth exactly what you paid for them smiley
thanks boss

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 01, 2017
DUNKA:
thanks boss

You're welcome.

If I were so opportuned to have this much land then I shall not be cutting them up. At least not now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 9:45pm On Jul 01, 2017
Speaking on the proliferation of fake goods, the killing of brands and the absence of standards.

Because of our penchant for cheap things, the greed of sellers and the ignorance of consumers (and surprisingly some so-called professionals); Nigeria is a flourishing hub for counterfeiters.
We are arguably the largest market for counterfeited products in the world. The complicity of our supposed regulatory apparatus only adds salt to injury. Many big brands with a strong presence (even in smaller African countries) shy away from establishing a presence here for some of these reasons, and those who mange to do so are having a hell of a time doing it.

An example of a reputable electrical brand with a counterfeit problem in Nigeria is Havells; as expected their products are currently widely counterfeited. From changeovers, to distribution boards to switch fuse units etc.
They continue to fight this by changing moulds, designs, repackaging, adding stickers etc.

For Example;
The Below are pictures of the MCBs for Havells distribution Boards.

On the LEFT you have the Authentic (made in India) while on the RIGHT is a Counterfeit (imported from China)

If you purchased a Havells board somewhere around mid 2016 till date and your MCB looks like the one to the right, you were sold a fake.

Do sufficient due diligence Always, exercise care Always, shop wisely.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 9:52pm On Jul 01, 2017
Below is another cunning and misleading variation of the real deal.

Havells deliberately misspelt as Havel's
This is a completely different board in design and quality.
But To the ignorant/unsuspecting buyer this could pass as the real thing.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 01, 2017
I write this as a consumer who recently bought electrical goods.

I, as well other consumers, should never be blamed for the possibility of buying fake electrical goods. Those fake goods should never be available in the marketplace in the first instance, at any price.

If we're to lay blame then it belongs at the footsteps of the federal government and the various sales association in the country. The federal government for allowing such goods to enter the country and the sales associations for not monitoring their associates.

And on this matter of consumers searching for low prices, it is the norm in all civilized societies and it's not an excuse for dubious sellers to dupe customers. I can search online between HomeDepot.Com and Lowes.Com and assured of the best prices and guaranteed of first class, "UL Listed" genuine goods.

This matter of unsafe electrical materials is actually a felonious crime because not only is it fraud but also endangers the public at large. It's not something to be used as a sales tool. IMHO.

PS: I appreciate the education but we need to stop blaming the consumers.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by francmoda: 11:01pm On Jul 01, 2017
Adegbulugbe:

A good design,but would have advice your master shouldn't be at the Conner back of the building
its actually in front...facing the major road....it's a corner piece
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by francmoda: 11:08pm On Jul 01, 2017
Adegbulugbe:

Laundry might be good outside the building invade you are inviting a dry cleaner to wash cloth for you and he wount have access to you house even if you aren't around,but you will have to fix a security door to the dinning exit and the kitchen as well.
thanks for ur contribution....yeah will have 3 security doors...main entrance, door leading into the kitchen( there's no dinning exit door from outside) and the door leading into the house from the gym cos the gym will have thick transparent glass all through with windows..without burglary proof
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 01, 2017
allCopacetic:
Speaking on the proliferation of fake goods, the killing of brands and the absence of standards.

Because of our penchant for cheap things, the greed of sellers and the ignorance of consumers (and surprisingly some so-called professionals); Nigeria is a flourishing hub for counterfeiters.
We are arguably the largest market for counterfeited products in the world. The complicity of our supposed regulatory apparatus only adds salt to injury. Many big brands with a strong presence (even in smaller African countries) shy away from establishing a presence here for some of these reasons, and those who mange to do so are having a hell of a time doing it.

An example of a reputable electrical brand with a counterfeit problem in Nigeria is Havells; as expected their products are currently widely counterfeited. From changeovers, to distribution boards to switch fuse units etc.
They continue to fight this by changing moulds, designs, repackaging, adding stickers etc.

For Example;
The Below are pictures of the MCBs for Havells distribution Boards.

On the LEFT you have the Authentic (made in India) while on the RIGHT is a Counterfeit (imported from China)

If you purchased a Havells board somewhere around mid 2016 till date and your MCB looks like the one to the right, you were sold a fake.

Do sufficient due diligence Always, exercise care Always, shop wisely.

you can consider buying schnieder - they are fully in nigeria now and their contacts are on the internet
you can also consider buying legrand - the last time i checked, they have a tight lid on their distributors

as much as possible, identify sellers with integrity/ registered representatives
also, try as much as possible to buy direct from source
http://somotexnig.com/

seems to be a havell's distributor

http://www.legrand.ng/node/293

legrand distributor

http://www.schneider-electric.com.ng/en/work/support/where-to-buy/distributors.jsp
http://www2.schneider-electric.com/sites/corporate/en/support/counterfeiting/counterfeiting.page
schneider distributors

EgunMogaji:

I, as well other consumers, should never be blamed for the possibility of buying fake electrical goods. Those fake goods should never be available in the marketplace in the first instance, at any price.

If we're to lay blame then it belongs at the footsteps of the federal government and the various sales association in the country. The federal government for allowing such goods to enter the country and the sales associations for not monitoring their associates.

And on this matter of consumers searching for low prices, it is the norm in all civilized societies and it's not an excuse for dubious sellers to dupe customers. I can search online between HomeDepot.Com and Lowes.Com and assured of the best prices and guaranteed of first class, "UL Listed" genuine goods.

This matter of unsafe electrical materials is actually a felonious crime because not only is it fraud but also endangers the public at large. It's not something to be used as a sales tool. IMHO.

its not just fake goods, i have had the experience where a wire sized 70mm was sold as 95mm. we could not understand why the wires were overheating.

unfortunately, this is nigeria - it is what it is.

its is the federal govt and greedy nigerians who want 300% profit. most do not see anything wrong in selling defective goods. all na hustle. i have seen people sell broken toilet seats painted over

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 11:59pm On Jul 01, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I clearly mentioned sellers and regulatory bodies as being culpable Chief.
But that aside, consumers can be a part of the problem.

Like you rightly said ...."consumers searching for low prices, is the norm in all civilized societies" but in civilized societies people don't have to dig individual boreholes, or buy thier own electricity poles or pay for power without being metered, or worry about buying A as B.
Our realities are different, and in light of this we adapt to our unique situation, because like you rightly said again, those fake goods should not be in the market in the first place, ... However they unfortunately are.

I am not justifying the action of sellers or regulatory agencies, or disagreeing with the natural need to shop for a good bargain, but when an average consumer is more interested in how much than how good, then there's a problem; he puts himself at risk of ending up with a counterfeit considering the unfortunate uniqueness of our markets. Demand does drive supply.

I'm really more interested in buyer education than in apportioning of blame because we truly are in an unfortunate mess,

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:11am On Jul 02, 2017
allCopacetic:

I clearly mentioned sellers and regulatory bodies as being culpable Chief.
But that aside, consumers can be a part of the problem.

Like you rightly said ...."consumers searching for low prices, is the norm in all civilized societies" but in civilized societies people don't have to dig individual boreholes, or buy thier own electricity poles or pay for power without being metered, or worry about buying A as B.
Our realities are different, and in light of this we adapt to our unique situation, because like you rightly said again, those fake goods should not be in the market in the first place, ... However they unfortunately are.

I am not justifying the action of sellers or regulatory agencies, or disagreeing with the natural need to shop for a good bargain, but when an average consumer is more interested in how much than how good, then there's a problem; he puts himself at risk of ending up with a counterfeit considering the unfortunate uniqueness of our markets. Demand does drive supply.

I'm really more interested in buyer education than in apportioning of blame because we truly are in an unfortunate mess,

Perhaps I missed where you apportioned blame to regulatory bodies it but here is what I read "the greed of sellers and the ignorance of consumers (and surprisingly some so-called professionals); Nigeria is a flourishing hub for counterfeiters."

Fake goods should never be in the marketplace. Period.

Any consumer, loaded or otherwise, should never have to worry about how good a product is in terms of safety, they should strictly have to worry about how much in terms of price point. Every product that enters the country should be good and safe, regardless of the seller.

I agree that we are in an unfortunate mess but I personally will defend fellow consumers.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 12:15am On Jul 02, 2017
oyb:

you can consider buying schnieder

its not just fake goods, i have had the experience where a wire sized 70mm was sold as 95mm. we could not understand why the wires were overheating.

unfortunately, this is nigeria - it is what it is

I'm a seller chief, not a buyer.

Second paragraph emphasizes the need for due diligence, shopping wisely, aswell as the buyer's ability to identify and distinguish....considering our unique problem of seller integrity.
Had the cable size (and possibly quality) been ascertained upon supply or during purchase, you would have no problems
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:16am On Jul 02, 2017
oyb:

you can consider buying schnieder - they are fully in nigeria now and their contacts are on the internet
you can also consider buying legrand - the last time i checked, they have a tight lid on their distributors

as much as possible, identify sellers with integrity/ registered representatives
also, try as much as possible to buy direct from source
http://somotexnig.com/

seems to be a havell's distributor

http://www.legrand.ng/node/293

legrand distributor

http://www.schneider-electric.com.ng/en/work/support/where-to-buy/distributors.jsp
http://www2.schneider-electric.com/sites/corporate/en/support/counterfeiting/counterfeiting.page
schneider distributors

unfortunately, this is nigeria - it is what it is.

its is the federal govt and greedy nigerians who want 300% profit. most do not see anything wrong in selling defective goods. all na hustle. i have seen people sell broken toilet seats painted over

I couldn't agree more Sir. It is not the fault of the consumers at all like you said. Just because I don't want to pay shylock prices doesn't mean that I should be saddled with life threatening products.

I've limited my purchases to outfits with actual elaborate storefronts in the hopes of getting quality products. I only buy electricals, doors, plumbing from specific merchants in Ibadan now.

We have to be the change that we seek.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 02, 2017
I would love to see pictures of gravel pebble driveways in Nigeria.

Muchas gracis amigos y amigas.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:07am On Jul 02, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Oga mi, you are right. But I have heard a consumer saying "It works in the same way anyway, why spending more...." even after knowing the one he is buying is fake. What do we say about that kind of consumer education... We are lost cause in Naija o, right from the Govt., the importers and the consumers.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:08am On Jul 02, 2017
mufutau55:

Oga mi, you are right. But I have heard of consumer saying "It works in the same way anyway, why spending more...." even after knowing the one he is buying is fake. What do we say about that kind of consumer education... We are lost cause in Naija o, right from the Govt., the importers and the consumers.

Hajji M.

Jesu shocked

I can imagine Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:14am On Jul 02, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Jesu shocked
I can imagine Sir.

I tell you.. I hate fakes (in anything). When I was buying my tiles, I know not much about tiles even after I have been given several lessons on how to spot the fake tiles.. Imagine paying good money for Spanish fakes... I am spending about 2.5-3.0m in tiles and then getting fakes? Someone has to go see the Almighty in few days. So I implore the work of one of the best on NL (Aventures) and a good tiler from Peters & Co and my brother to procure good genuine tiles for me... so that when I paid for real Spanish tiles, I am getting the original. So you see our people also let the fake materials market booms. If there is no market for fakes, the importers will not import it.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:30pm On Jul 02, 2017
mufutau55:

I tell you.. I hate fakes (in anything). When I was buying my tiles, I know not much about tiles even after I have been given several lessons on how to spot the fake tiles.. Imagine paying good money for Spanish fakes... I am spending about 2.5-3.0m in tiles and then getting fakes? Someone has to go see the Almighty in few days. So I implore the work of one of the best on NL (Aventures) and a good tiler from Peters & Co and my brother to procure good genuine tiles for me... so that when I paid for real Spanish tiles, I am getting the original. So you see our people also let the fake materials market booms. If there is no market for fakes, the importers will not import it.

Hajji M.

Hajji there is no market for fakes. Nobody will deliberately seek out to buy fake products. There is a market for top end product, middle range and bargain range. A product can still be bargain range and still be safe and serve the purpose. There are also branded products and generic products. The fact that it is a generic product and cheap doesn't mean its not safe to use.

The problem is passing off unsafe dangerous products for branded products and charging top end price in some cases. So the consumer is not to be blamed as the consumer is willing to pay accordingly thinking they are getting the real deal. Where the consumer pays lower or go bargain hunting, this doesn't mean the consumer is encouraging fake product but buying with trust that the product is a generic product which is expected to be cheaper. There is branded paracetamol and generic paracetamol. Generic paracetamol is cheaper, safe and serve the same purpose as the branded; so if the consumer goes in search for generic paracetamol doesn't mean the consumer is encouraging fake market.

Those importing unsafe products can as well import cheaper safe generic products and charge appropriately. It is the greed of importers that encourage fake market, not consumers. If the importers don't import fake products, I don't think the consumer will clamour for fake products, they will buy happily what's available in the market: genuine top range, middle range or safe generic as your power reach. This is the case in developed world.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 2:17pm On Jul 02, 2017
I think Manufacturers have a lot of role to play in this issue of fake. Infact the Govt and Manufacturers have a whole lot to play. Most of all these items you can't just go to the Source to buy. You have to go to a dealer. If the Govt made it possible to setup in Nigeria and give them direct access to the consumers, the case Might be different.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:25pm On Jul 02, 2017
diordaves:

Hajji there is no market for fakes. Nobody will deliberately seek out to buy fake products. There is a market for top end product, middle range and bargain range. A product can still be bargain range and still be safe and serve the purpose. There are also branded products and generic products. The fact that it is a generic product and cheap doesn't mean its not safe to use.

The problem is passing off unsafe dangerous products for branded products and charging top end price in some cases. So the consumer is not to be blamed as the consumer is willing to pay accordingly thinking they are getting the real deal. Where the consumer pays lower or go bargain hunting, this doesn't mean the consumer is encouraging fake product but buying with trust that the product is a generic product which is expected to be cheaper. There is branded paracetamol and generic paracetamol. Generic paracetamol is cheaper, safe and serve the same purpose as the branded; so if the consumer goes in search for generic paracetamol doesn't mean the consumer is encouraging fake market.

Those importing unsafe products can as well import cheaper safe generic products and charge appropriately. It is the greed of importers that encourage fake market, not consumers. If the importers don't import fake products, I don't think the consumer will clamour for fake products, they will buy happily what's available in the market: genuine top range, middle range or safe generic as your power reach. This is the case in developed world.
. I think most of what we buy when it comes to the construction industry is supposed to be termed as "substandard" as described in your post. Fakes are generally an imitation of another product in the instance of " HAVELS vs HAVELLS. That's why it's always good to go procure certain materials with the aid of the person who will install to avoid such pitfalls.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adegbulugbe(m): 2:34pm On Jul 02, 2017
francmoda:
thanks for ur contribution....yeah will have 3 security doors...main entrance, door leading into the kitchen( there's no dinning exit door from outside) and the door leading into the house from the gym cos the gym will have thick transparent glass all through with windows..without burglary proof

Then your Ok for your needs.best of luck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by keziah123: 3:02pm On Jul 02, 2017
diordaves:

Hajji there is no market for fakes. Nobody will deliberately seek out to buy fake products.
Some consumers do. In my industry, some consumers knowingly buy fake/counterfeit and adulterated products because it is cheaper and they feel buying the original is a waste of money.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:49pm On Jul 02, 2017
diordaves:

Yes... There shouldn't be market for fakes, you mean. But if people keep buying it knowing its fake because it's cheaper, then they are allowing market for fakes. Look at the example I gave by a friend to EgunMogaji in my previous message.
Generic is not fake.. it's just a substitute, so that should be out of comparison. Fakes are sub-standard.
There fakes in every country but what it's done to eradicate it is what is different by each country... our Naija, just give officials some Naira and you are free to go. There shouldn't be market for fakes because of the ill-effect; but there are.

Hajji M.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (713) (714) (715) (716) (717) (718) (719) ... (3714) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.