Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,610 members, 7,888,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:08 PM

Growing Potatoes In Sacks. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Growing Potatoes In Sacks. (16460 Views)

Sweet Potatoes In Large Quantity / Dry Season Ugu Planting In Sacks / Growing Watermelon In Sacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by whitecloth: 8:48pm On Aug 31, 2015
Pavore9:

l am not buying to have it resold as l am just helping those who need them to buy on their behalf and have them sent down.
Does this mean there is a specialized bag for this practise?
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by Pavore9: 10:45pm On Aug 31, 2015
whitecloth:

Does this mean there is a specialized bag for this practise?

Yes as it has holes around its side where the plants are grown.
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by whitecloth: 11:26pm On Aug 31, 2015
Pavore9:

Yes as it has holes around its side where the plants are grown.
OK thanks for the reply. How can I also get some of this bags.
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by Jesusbaby6(f): 8:44pm On Sep 01, 2015
i still await the transfer details sir @ pavore
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by Seun(m): 12:44am On Sep 05, 2015
I don't get it. Why is it better to dig up soil, put it in sacks, and then plant potatoes in the sacks than to just plant the potatoes in soil directly?
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by lanre2009: 3:01am On Sep 05, 2015
Seun:
I don't get it. Why is it better to dig up soil, put it in sacks, and then plant potatoes in the sacks than to just plant the potatoes in soil directly?

Pavore9:

'Growing potatoes in sacks is an Israeli adopted technology which can yield up to 3 times more than would be achieved using traditional methods.It also lends itself well to crammed urban areas'

Growing crops or vegetables in sacks is a way urban farmers can maximize the use of small land space to achieve greater results.... You can view the video below for a better understanding of the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiQuuFsvzg
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by AreaFada2: 3:45am On Sep 05, 2015
Seun:

It means one can now farm right inside Mushin if you can get even 30 x 60 space. No need travellig to Ogun State for more land. cheesy grin

@Pavore, can't one approach Bagco and the like to produce such bags in 9ja? Because this might really take off thanks to GEJ's agric drive since a few years back. wink Before some people claim it's due to body language. grin
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by Pavore9: 5:52am On Sep 05, 2015
AreaFada2:

It means one can now farm right inside Mushin if you can get even 30 x 60 space. No need travellig to Ogun State for more land. cheesy grin

@Pavore, can't one approach Bagco and the like to produce such bags in 9ja? Because this might really take off thanks to GEJ's agric drive since a few years back. wink Before some people claim it's due to body language. grin

lf you go through one of my posts in the vertical bag farming thread. l said the material is locally available in Nigeria, one only has to get a sample to replicate the sewing design and can make as many as possible according to his/her need. Just like the man in the video posted above by lanre2009, the man is using a space of 45ft by 75ft to house his 100 bags which generates him an equivalent of $1000 monthly from sales of his spinach and parsley (the crop on top of the bag)

1 Like

Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by shumuel(m): 5:12pm On Sep 05, 2015
Seun:

Actually its very innovative and should be welcomed and practise even with other crops.

With the high rate of Rainfall and floods in the Country, this idea would save crops from the heavy down pour, which farmers had been complaining about this year.

With plant and crops being developed in sacks or containers, it would be easy to move in and out to avoid the heavy down pours and it can also be placed in or under shades/glass cages inother to gain access to Sunlight and also prevent from too much of rainfall.

The Nigerian goverment should invest in this idea as it can help improve the future of the Agricultural sector, especially Crops that requires certain soils and conditions which are not available in Nigeria, such crops/plants seeds can be imported to the Country and we can manually create the conditions required by the crops/plants to grow, and we wont be needing to import such anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by tollysit(f): 8:51pm On Sep 05, 2015
Thanks for the info...love to be a prosperous farmer oneday,wanna ask as first time started can I use chicken feed bag for the irish potato plantation...my email. Tollysit2002@gmail.com. Tks
Pavore9:

That l am working on as l am in communication with some and working towards having the first batch arriving Nigeria on the 6th September.

Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by jonaboy: 11:51pm On Sep 06, 2015
Send you a mail and still awaiting your reply @Pavore.
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by whitecloth: 12:30pm On Sep 27, 2015
Please Pavore I need your help seriously in this.
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by whitecloth: 12:39pm On Sep 27, 2015
I've also sent you a mail before. thought I'll resend it now.
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by Pavore9: 12:39pm On Sep 27, 2015
whitecloth:
Please Pavore I need your help seriously in this.

Send a PM.
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by Ufeolorun(m): 7:56pm On Sep 27, 2015
Quite innovative but the question is- do you really need it.

Planter bags without good soil in it would be an absolute waste of time because bad soil is one of the reasons u grow in bags -When your soil isn't good enough (nutrient deficient ,diseased) for the crops/seeds,plant you are looking at .

You can not compare the moisture retaining capacity of the natural ground to these bags hence your plant would need more watering if it's in a bag. However, good compost soil may increase t moisture holding.

Aeration and drainage- those considering DIY should understand manufactured planter/grow bags are usually made with strong consideration for air flow and the issue of waterlogging. So consider this when choosing your homemade sack.

It's a brilliant idea if you have limited space and no point really, if land isn't an issue.Moreover a lot of farmers here talk in hectares.
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by whitecloth: 8:44pm On Sep 27, 2015
Pavore9:

Send a PM.
I've sent it Sir, two messages
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by stanvesco(m): 10:29am On Jun 23, 2016
Pavore9:

You make me laugh! cheesy cheesy cheesy Personally l am not interested in that but l hope l will someday visit my home state to set up projects on behalf of communities, imagine Imo state producing strawberries, pepino melons, broccoli, Kale, Red stark apples and peaches una go fear. fear! cheesy

For videos clips, l have a whole lots of them. Send me a PM.
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by Pavore9: 10:32am On Jun 23, 2016
@stanvesco, why the mention?
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by stanvesco(m): 10:39am On Jun 23, 2016
[quote author=stanvesco post=46845255][/quote]
kindly send me the video..., pleaseeee esazobor@yahoo.com 08063152970 pleaseeeeee
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by stanvesco(m): 10:40am On Jun 23, 2016
kindly send me the video..., pleaseeee esazobor@yahoo.com 08063152970 please we're
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by stanvesco(m): 10:43am On Jun 23, 2016
please its about some videos you mentioned in the thread..... can you kindly send them to me... esazobor@yahoo.com WhatsApp 08063152970
and I want to be your mentee please... thanks
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by stanvesco(m): 10:59pm On Jun 23, 2016
Pavore9:
Oga please can I become your mentee kindly add me via WhatsApp or any oda link you have pleaseeee 08063152970
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by stanvesco(m): 11:00pm On Jun 23, 2016
Pavore9:

Oga please can I become your mentee
kindly add me via WhatsApp or any oda link you have pleaseeee

I wouldn't mind coming down to Kenya to understudy for twobmonths by feb-march next year
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by hungryfool: 4:40pm On Jul 26, 2016
Pavore9:

You make me laugh! cheesy cheesy cheesy Personally l am not interested in that but l hope l will someday visit my home state to set up projects on behalf of communities, imagine Imo state producing strawberries, pepino melons, broccoli, Kale, Red stark apples and peaches una go fear. fear! cheesy

For videos clips, l have a whole lots of them. Send me a PM.

@Pavore9 I am interested, kindly mail me a link to these resoures...
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by wordsNOTswords(m): 11:40am On May 01, 2020
I'm interested
Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by Kaybee20: 10:07pm On May 01, 2020
ensodev:
Pls how many months does it take to plant and
harvest sweet potato.

also...is it the same period for sweet and irish potato. Thanks.

it takes three months for sweet potatoes to reach its maturity stage.
I think they have the same maturity stage because of the same family

1 Like

Re: Growing Potatoes In Sacks. by Christistruth00: 3:47am On Feb 21, 2021

They are not from the same family

Potatoes are from Night shade family and sweet potatoes are from morning glory family

Kaybee20:

it takes three months for sweet potatoes to reach its maturity stage.
I think they have the same maturity stage because of the same family

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Two Plots Of Maize Farm (planted 16/02!2018) / Improved Treated Dwarf Hybrid Plantain/Banana Sucker ( See Video Below ) / Gardening: How To Water Plants For A Month At No Cost (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.