Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,810 members, 7,889,634 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 05:07 PM

Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit (1203 Views)

Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? / Fixed Deposit Rates / How Much Will #1M Yield In A Fixed Deposit Account For A Period Of 1 Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit by ashiwajew: 11:08pm On Aug 30, 2015
I lost my mum recently, unknowingly to us she has been doing a 3 months roll over fixed deposit since last year, we got to know yesterday when the bank alerted her phone to inform her of their usual way of telling her about their plans to auto roll over for another 3 months. She has an account with this bank and we have been using her ATM card to withdraw her monies to avoid bank issues. Please we need advice from experts on how to terminate this fixed deposit and get access to her money, and if possible without the bank knowing that she is dead. I would be glad if this can hit FP so as to get more nairaland professionals advising us on this. Thanks
Re: Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit by sichri(m): 11:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
ashiwajew:
I lost my mum recently, unknowingly to us she has been doing a 3 months roll over fixed deposit since last year, we got to know yesterday when the bank alerted her phone to inform her of their usual way of telling her about their plans to auto roll over for another 3 months. She has an account with this bank and we have been using her ATM card to withdraw her monies to avoid bank issues. Please we need advice from experts on how to terminate this fixed deposit and get access to her money, and if possible without the bank knowing that she is dead. I would be glad if this can hit FP so as to get more nairaland professionals advising us on this. Thanks
You have to notify the bank. Then get a letter of administration nominating you and/or your siblings as beneficiary(ies) of your Late mother's estate. After that the bank will give you and/or your siblings the money. Please follow due process. Don't try to cut corners.

4 Likes

Re: Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit by uboma(m): 11:52pm On Aug 30, 2015
ashiwajew:

Why hide the true state of your mum to the bank? Get a death certificate and present it to the bank. The bank will release whatever cash and valuables belonging to your mum to the next of kin she selected during account opening documentation.

Sorry for your loss.
Re: Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit by Roseey0(f): 4:40am On Aug 31, 2015
Follow the right channel.
Re: Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit by glogirl(f): 6:36am On Aug 31, 2015
There might be more investments or accounts you dont know about. Table your matter to the bank officially.
Re: Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit by Austin234(m): 12:56pm On Aug 31, 2015
Sorry for ur mum's demise.
My advice is that ur make it official to the bank than to cut corners.
Depending on d amount involved, bank may request for:
1. Letter of administration
2. Death certificate
3. Court affidavit
4. Evidence as next of kin eg pvc, national id card, int'l passport or driving licence.
Note that i am in d same shoe with u as i buried my own mum just last month. I am at d verge reclaiming her bank deposit. Thank u
Re: Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit by ashiwajew: 2:31pm On Aug 31, 2015
Austin234:
Sorry for ur mum's demise.
My advice is that ur make it official to the bank than to cut corners.
Depending on d amount involved, bank may request for:
1. Letter of administration
2. Death certificate
3. Court affidavit
4. Evidence as next of kin eg pvc, national id card, int'l passport or driving licence.
Note that i am in d same shoe with u as i buried my own mum just last month. I am at d verge reclaiming her bank deposit. Thank u

What exact documents were required of you pls
Re: Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit by Austin234(m): 4:05pm On Aug 31, 2015
ashiwajew:

It may differ frm urs depending on respective bank requirement and amount involved.
So, go to the bank with ur late mum's passbook 1st. Other things will ensue
Re: Urgent Advice On Termination Of My Late Mum's Fixed Deposit by Spirit1(m): 3:54am On Sep 01, 2015
ashiwajew:

This is not easyoooo. Unless your mother had a appointed one of you official beneficiary legally, once you go to the bank that money is gone.
Don't listen to all these people here.
Consult a lawyer who is knowledgeable about these types of issues. Not just any lawyer.

(1) (Reply)

The Plantain City Project / Opportunity To Invest / Please I Need Your Advice On Binary Option Brokers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.